Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

People who fight over words. You know what they are talking about no need to derail the conversation over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

The word 'movie' contains two syllables.

The word 'film' contains just one.

Why oh why do some people add an extra syllable into 'film' to make it 'fillum'?

As far as I'm aware that is termed Epenthesis in grammar - 'the addition of one or more sounds to a word, especially to the interior of a word'. A consonant sound or a vowel sound can be added; the former is termed excrescence while the latter is called anaptyxis, or more colloquially an 'epenthetic vowel'. It has a very long history in English - athalete for athlete is another example that springs to mind. I'm not sure if it's more prevalent in Hiberno-English but I wouldn't be too surprised if it is.

In Irish, for instance, we have many words where epenthetic or auxilary vowels (guta cúnta) are added, for instance Colm is correctly pronounced more like Colum. Gorm (gurram), dearg (dearag), leanbh (leanabh), ainm (ainim) and so on fall into this category in the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

People who don't pull in on the road when they are keeping back about 25 other vehicles. It's infuriating.

I drove from Sligo to Tyrone today and some inconsiderate lug who should not be on the road kept a whole slew of us slumbering behind him and his precious horsebox. He/she had innumerable opportunities to pull in and allow the rest of us to go on with our business. They chose not to. I've met the same mé féinerism with people towing caravans or driving tractors.

Generally, I dread people (I did not specify old people or neurotics) who drive a Nissan Micra or a Toyota Yaris. Being stuck behind those people puts years on me. Horrendous little inconsiderate spaceships they all live in totally oblivious to the full-blooded people in cars behind them.

/rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

People who moan about this lovely weather annoy me.

Sweat annoys me, can't wait for snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Curtain twitchers! :mad:

I was coming home there just now with friends from being out having dinner and a couple of drinks, when my neighbour shouts down from his balcony "Hey <Czarcasm>, wait til I tell your missus!".

Thankfully you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your damn neighbours!

Another thing that annoys me- I just realised I forgot to get milk for coffee on the way home! :(

My neighbour sees me going out again he'll rightly get his knickers in a twist! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Curtain twitchers! :mad:

I was coming home there just now with friends from being out having dinner and a couple of drinks, when my neighbour shouts down from his balcony "Hey <Czarcasm>, wait til I tell your missus!".

Thankfully you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your damn neighbours!

Another thing that annoys me- I just realised I forgot to get milk for coffee on the way home! :(

My neighbour sees me going out again he'll rightly get his knickers in a twist! :pac:

Knock in, bold as brass with a jug in hand and ask if he can spare milk. That'll show the fecker! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mtnh

Not the worst actor but I think he was miscast also. He is great in everything else I have seen him in but he was miscast in love hate. Did not find him menacing or ruthless at all.

He irks me in Game of Thrones too. I think it's his accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Like, I suspect, many men of a certain age, there is an embargo against my using the washing machine, put in place by the Loyal Opposition/War Office/Upper House, a.k.a. SWMBO. The reason for this is given, vaguely, as having to do with "colour mixing" and "running dyes". This is slightly irritating at times, like on a Saturday morning when herself is out somewhere and I notice that the laundry basket is two-thirds or so full with, among other things, a couple of my favourite shirts. It seems like the simplest thing in the world to grab and armful of stuff, bung it in the infernal device, and have at it. But I am loathe to breach the embargo.

Men have no patience with and less understanding of this stuff, being of the view that the battle should be to the strong within the arena of the washing machine drum just as it is on the road and at the office. It might be some sort of genetic flaw. The thinking is that if an item of clothing can't survive being washed without coming out looking like something the hippies have tie-dyed, then it was unfit for purpose and of extremely poor quality from the get-go, and belongs in the bin rightly and justly culled.

A man will happily go through his entire wardrobe via this method, eventually (in pathological, unchecked cases) winding up on a Saturday evening naked as a sea-trout and quite happy and content with a job well done. A brief panic sets in as it dawns on him that pub-time is rapidly approaching and he has not a stitch of any description to put on him. Undeterred by what amateur onlookers might regard as a fatal flaw in the method and convinced of the elegance and impeccability of his logic, he will dig out his trusty bathrobe and drive to Dunnes (or equivalent), grab a few bits-and-pieces with which adequately to meet society's requirements, and flit home again, job-jobbed. Thus begins the process of replacing his entire wardrobe. Thus refreshed, it's time for a pint. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    The science channels (Discovery/National Geographic/History..etc...) not actually showing anything remotely scientific or interesting or historical. All it is these days is "Ice Road Truckers" or "Gold Rush" or "Storage Wars" or ****ing "Shipping Wars" or some ridiculous reality show.

Shipping wars... SHIPPING WARS! This is a show that is on The History Channel. What the hell has this to do with history? I want to see a documentary about the space race or Hitler. I don't want to watch a team of hicks that have turned their job or hobby into a televisual competition.
    When you get home from work you can sit and watch some morons doing their ****ty jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When movie posters, on buses or billboards for example, have the actors on it with their names at the top of the poster..... BUT their names don't match up to the actor below!! Really irks me!

Look out for this in future, allow it to destroy your inner peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

When as a pedestrian standing at traffic lights, having pushed the button and the little red light being on, someone comes up and proceeds to push it a further 5-6 times. To anyone who does this - this does NOT make the lights change faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

On the subject of fillums/films/movies, I made the mistake of going onto movie mistakes.com.

Now I have ruined some films by knowing where the mistakes are. My fault entirely. Fu@king Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

When foreign cashiers, barmaids, etc have a conversations in polish, latvian, ... wotth each other while serving you

Makes me want to punch people ... In the face

And people who wont admit the dont know something for fear of looking silly when it quite obvious they havent a bulls notion whats goin on

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    When foreign cashiers, barmaids, etc have a conversations in polish, latvian, ... wotth each other while serving you

And people who wont admit the dont know something for fear of looking silly when it quite obvious they havent a bulls notion whats goin on

So when you haven't a bulls notion what people are saying because you don't understand their language, rather than just admit this, you'd prefer to punch them in the face?

OK then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Think of it as an opportunity to improve your Polish! :D

I personally love hearing people speak different languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Lucena wrote: »
    Think of it as an opportunity to improve your Polish! :D

I personally love hearing people speak different languages.

Try doing night duty with two foreigners that just chat to each other all night in a language you can't understand. As if nights weren't long enough!

Rasheed wrote: »
    Try doing night duty with two foreigners that just chat to each other all night in a language you can't understand. As if nights weren't long enough!

Are you sure they're not just from Dublin? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

People in front of you in town or a shopping centre taking their time strolling, while holding everyone up behind them and people who wait till everything is scanned in the shop then rooting around for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Could you have a word with a supervisor about it?

Are you sure they're not just from Dublin? :D

Very possible. It was a foreign tongue to me anyway......;)

• Advertisement

Could you have a word with a supervisor about it?

She'd only say that we shouldn't have time to be chatting anyway! Can't say I blame them in one way, I'd probably be as bad if the roles were reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

So when you haven't a bulls notion what people are saying because you don't understand their language, rather than just admit this, you'd prefer to punch them in the face?

OK then.

Im actually belgian but have lived here for 15years, since my teens, and would never be so ignorant as to have a conversation in flemish with other family members with english speakers around, it Always gives people the impression you are talking about them.

It even pisses me of when people do it in one of the languages (dutch, french, german)i do understand ... They are serving english speaking customers, stop disrespecting them and speak english while at work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Putting dirty ware in the sink, its wrecks my head. Stack it up neatly and orderly beside the sink, makes it easier to use the sink to wash hands, food or get a glass of water...

Im actually belgian but have lived here for 15years, since my teens, and would never be so ignorant as to have a conversation in flemish with other family members with english speakers around, it Always gives people the impression you are talking about them.

It even pisses me of when people do it in one of the languages (dutch, french, german)i do understand ... They are serving english speaking customers, stop disrespecting them and speak english while at work!!

I used work for a large American multi-national company with many employees from Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, and they would all talk in their own language when talking to each other, and English when talking to me.

It was brought up by one numpty at a town hall meeting (that's what they used call them, an all staff meeting if you will), that it was unfair, intimidating and isolating apparently that foreign staff would speak to each other in their own language and not speak in the language of the country in which they were working.

Some clever little prick pointed out to him that he could always speak Irish if he was that put out by it.

Wasn't me, I swear, even though my first language is Irish, and from these foreign staff I learned to speak six other languages! :D

I'm only learning German at the moment, and from all accounts Germany doesn't have much time for non-German speakers. I'm open to correction on that though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

cricket but in particular "the ashes" competition they play. the sooner football is back the better for everyone!

Put the wind up them by learning a bit of the language. That'll make them paranoid!

Je ne vois pas en quoi c'est irrespectueux de parler une autre langue que celle des clients, à condition qu'on leur parle dans leur propre langue. :D

As long as the work is done properly, what difference does it make?

Some people really need to get over themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

This is every bit as trivial as it is annoying. Which makes it infuriating.
    DSC_0047_zps0faed60b.jpg
    Ive just spent two days fighting with my car, I dont want to have to fight my F*CKIN CIDER CANS GOD DAMMIT!!!!!:mad:

This is every bit as trivial as it is annoying. Which makes it infuriating.

Ive just spent two days fighting with my car, I dont want to have to fight my F*CKIN CIDER CANS GOD DAMMIT!!!!!:mad:

Stab that fcuker with a knife! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Stab that fcuker with a knife! :D

I tend to grow quite peaceful and relaxed when Ive had a few so Im afraid a more sedate solution hit me first:o
    DSC_0048_zps585d5b81.jpg
    Crisis averted, looking forward to Lee Evans Roadrunner now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement