Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Yer man on that EE network advert with the popping eyes, he's fairly famous for it. Next time the advert is on, keep an eye out for the guy in the pink tee shirt behind Kevin Bacon... Found it -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

jugger0 wrote: »
    Slow walkers... i will run you over bro
    Do you even knit bro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

When you are shaking hands with someone and your hands are all sweaty from the hot weather, I hate being that guy

I hate when rugby fans go on about how superior their players are when it comes to respecting the referee, as opposed to soccer players.

They usually neglect to mention that a big proportion of rugby players grew up in privileged families and went to elite private schools, while also going on to study in university.

Soccer players don't have those advantages (as a general rule), and consequently they don't have a culture of respecting referees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

big proportion of rugby players grew up in privileged families and went to elite private schools, while also going on to study in university.

Soccer players don't have those advantages (as a general rule), and consequently they don't have a culture of respecting referees

Where are you getting that idea or these figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I hate when rugby fans go on about how superior their players are when it comes to respecting the referee, as opposed to soccer players.

They usually neglect to mention that a big proportion of rugby players grew up in privileged families and went to elite private schools, while also going on to study in university.

Oh for fock's sake, it's loike, Skobie O' Gill and the Lidl people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

No, actually that is something that annoys me. People with skewed interpretation of rugby based on the D4 stereotype.
    In New Zealand rugby is the working class game.

Here rugby is a working class game. Same in Wales, Scotland and England.

And what about the fans Wojtec? I've seen more respect from rugby fans but I dont see them all driving of in a Merc.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    ...In New Zealand rugby is the working class game.

That's a filthy lie storted by the focking skobes in the FAI, roysh?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭veryangryman

EdenHazard wrote: »
    No, actually that is something that annoys me. People with skewed interpretation of rugby based on the D4 stereotype.
    In New Zealand rugby is the working class game.

In Ireland its a rich man's game. Trust me ive yet to see knacks playing rugby

• Advertisement

No middle ground between "rich men" and "knacks", no?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Marian College is a rugby school in a working class area.

Ive seen plenty around here

I'd say you've yet to attend a club rugby game too! Plenty of people of every class play rugby, no need for the reverse snobbery!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Stupid flies. I've opened the door wide to let it out and it's still flying in loud buzzy circles round the room, occasionally banging against the window-pane. Get out and leave me alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Somewhat Lacking

Stupid flies. I've opened the door wide to let it out and it's still flying in loud buzzy circles round the room, occasionally banging against the window-pane. Get out and leave me alone!
    I just realised how unoriginal it is to call something that flies a "fly".

Oops, wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I just realised how unoriginal it is to call something that flies a "fly".

Oops, wrong thread.

I was actually just thinking the same thing as I typed that post... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

When i'm away on holidays and there's a load of fllags flying but no Irish flag :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Here rugby is a working class game. Same in Wales, Scotland and England.

And what about the fans Wojtec? I've seen more respect from rugby fans but I dont see them all driving of in a Merc.

have to disagree on that. the only people i ever see in rugby jerseys are upper class posh people.

Youve never seen me in a rugby jearsey then. And if you think im upper class I can say for fact I'm heading out the door to spread fertaliser on a field.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    have to disagree on that. the only people i ever see in rugby jerseys are upper class posh people.

That's people in rugby jerseys, not necessarily people who have actually played or have any passion for the game.

I've played rugby at club level and I still follow rugby, but the only time I've ever worn a jersey is on the field of play.

I agree with you that I've met plenty of the types you speak of, I've even been chastised the odd time for not wearing a provincial jersey (I'm not even originally from Munster, I'm from Leinster!), but for me it's less about what teams are playing as long as they play a good game!

The snotty types you'll find them in any sport, the people who treat a match day like it's a fashion parade, never attended a club game in their lives types, only turn up to the provincial and international games.

My son now plays club rugby, his team mates come from all backgrounds, and there's none of this fashion parade nonsense.

You could apply the same thinking to GAA, but you'd be wrong there too. Hurling would be more my game though, gaelic football bores the tits off me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

When the communion wafer superglues itself to the roof of your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

I fcuken hate that new add by Bord Gas (I think!) with your one constantly saying "Donal" in this ridiculously annoying voice! It seriously grates on my nerves so much so I turn the volume off

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

crap hairdryers in hotels .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

You're completely wrong in your opinion there, maybe in north dublin its that way but outside its all walks of life...ive been playing for years and ive played with people from all social brackets, youve clearly never watched much rugby anyway, keith earls, irish international is from moyross, would that come under your view of a ''knack''? what is a knack anyway...your opinion is wrong plain and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm from Tipp and have lived in Dublin for 4 years and from what I've seen personally, I would without a shadow of a doubt associate rugby with higher social classes than say, soccer or GAA.

Aren't most posh/private schools "rugby schools"?

It probably has more higher class people than the GAA but it still has a good social mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Depp wrote: »
    You're completely wrong in your opinion there, maybe in north dublin its that way but outside its all walks of life...ive been playing for years and ive played with people from all social brackets, youve clearly never watched much rugby anyway, keith earls, irish international is from moyross, would that come under your view of a ''knack''? what is a knack anyway...your opinion is wrong plain and simple

'What is a knack' and you mention moyross. Hmm.

I watch plenty though not from choice. The sport is shoved down peoples throats these days since the national teams recent success. Maybe that has caused some bandwagon hoppers from lower classes to join in to fit in socially and stay in the loop.

I have not seen many of these personally. Still I have never seen a rugby player or fan in a crime report. Soccer on the other hand has tonnes.

Why I prefer soccer as a sport is that it is played by almost everyone. So when you win a world cup you know you are the best in the world and not the best bunch of rich kids in a group of 8 countries that takes the game seriously.

Rugby: a trivial thing that annoys me.

People who forget that there is a rugby world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have not seen many of these personally. Still I have never seen a rugby player or fan in a crime report. Soccer on the other hand has tonnes.
    Google Eddie Halvey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement