Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Rasheed wrote: »
    Cattle shiite is bad, chicken shiite is worse but nothing in this earth smells as rotten as somebody spreading pig shiite. Ill be thankful for small mercies!

I would dispute that, but first I should point out that I am completely immune to the smell of pig-shit, due to many long months excavating very old stock-houses on various pig-farms in the '80s where it was impossible, for one reason or another, to get machinery in. So, pick-axe, shovel and wheelbarrow it was. To me, the worst smell of all is that of our own, human, waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

Non worthy 'news'.

Breaking news for some reason have done an article named "Putin catches a pike". I'm not entirely sure why they think anyone would give a shiney shite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I've, like, said it, like a million times before but people who use "like" every third word. I don't know why but it really gets up my nostrils :mad:

There were two posh girls on the tube this moring "and it was like, God, like so, like ceraaaazy, like".

What? What's it like, dammit????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

maguic24 wrote: »
    Religion debates.....

Trying to have a reasonable debate with a religious person has to be the most frustrating thing in the world. All logic goes out the window. In the end you just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. >.<

Same with everything OldNotWise mentioned in my experience. Anything that involves emotions or attachments, might as well just leave it. That's all AH is though and it seems very popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

JP85 wrote: »
    ATM machines

This

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    I've, like, said it, like a million times before but people who use "like" every third word. I don't know why but it really gets up my nostrils :mad:

There were two posh girls on the tube this moring "and it was like, God, like so, like ceraaaazy, like".

What? What's it like, dammit????

Yeah, I hate those totes awky mo-mos too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yeah, I hate those totes awky mo-mos too.

thats "totes amazeballs" to you :D

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    thats "totes amazeballs" to you :D

Quite so indeed, yes - totes all of our amazeballs, in fact. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Blured wrote: »
    This

Pleonasms!

People who say, "I could care less".

It's "I couldnt care less" nitwit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I told my boyfriend I have a moustache, his reply 'you're only noticing now??'

Asked him a few days ago when he noticed, he said our first date. 4 months ago. Dick.

Asked him a few days ago when he noticed, he said our first date. 4 months ago. Dick.

Would you have felt better if, within a few minutes of first meeting you, he had come out with something along the lines of, "Whooooaaa, furken Magnum PI, I am totes outta here!! I thought the Wooly Mammoth was extinct!"?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

People who say, "I could care less".

It's "I couldnt care less" nitwit.

Interesting article about it here:
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ico1.htm

I know it really should bother me but for some reason it doesn't. I always imagine a fat middle-aged Jewish woman from the Bronx saying it when I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

You must be beautiful, as he is still with you, moustache and all. ;)

jimgoose wrote: »
    Would you have felt better if, within a few minutes of first meeting you, he had come out with something along the lines of, "Whooooaaa, furken Magnum PI, I am totes outta here!! I thought the Wooly Mammoth was extinct!"?? :D

eh yeah. I would have cracked up laughing!!! To wait 4 months is just madness.

eh yeah. I would have cracked up laughing!!! To wait 4 months is just madness.

Fair play to you, you're good craic. I didn't mean to offend, BTW - just cracking a funny. ;)

maguic24 wrote: »
    You must be beautiful, as he is still with you, moustache and all. ;)

I'm no Tom Sellick :P ah I got rid of it the next day!! also shamed him into trimming his man jungle so it was a win win!

Interesting article about it here:
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ico1.htm

I know it really should bother me but for some reason it doesn't. I always imagine a fat middle-aged Jewish woman from the Bronx saying it when I read it.

hummmmmm

so according to the article (or how I read it)

"I couldn't care less" is a statement of fact ie; "I care so little about this, it is impossible for me to care less about it"

"I could care less" is sarcasm.

But surely, a sarcastic statement requires a large, lofty expression such as "I really care about this" - the "less" element obscures the sarcastic (if that is the intention, which I dont believe) quality. Sarcasm requires a large, obvious, positive statement to be effective as sarcastic.

It's a slow day here :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The use of gate after an event. I heard today tm describe the events during the abortion debate as lapgate. Lapgate. Seriously **** the **** off. No event needs to be described with gate after it. It's infuriating beyond words.

hummmmmm

"I couldn't care less" is a statement of fact ie; "I care so little about this, it is impossible for me to care less about it"

But surely, a sarcastic statement requires a large, lofty expression such as "I really care about this" - the "less" element obscures the sarcastic (if that is the intention, which I dont believe) quality. Sarcasm requires a large, obvious, positive statement to be effective as sarcastic.

Basically what it's saying is that it would seem to be a corruption of the phrase 'I couldn't care less' which, when written down, is completely illogical but when said with the right intonation gets the message across perfectly fine. When you think about the statements 'Tell me about it' and 'I should be so lucky' - they are not hugely lofty expressions but when said by the Yiddish, they carry enough sarcasm to let you know what they really mean.

• Advertisement

The use of gate after an event. I heard today tm describe the events during the abortion debate as lapgate. Lapgate. Seriously **** the **** off. No event needs to be described with gate after it. It's infuriating beyond words.

This! I opened the paper after Norris's recent utterings to be greeted by "fannygate"

ffs

This! I opened the paper after Norris's recent utterings to be greeted by "fannygate"

ffs

That's sending my drive into euphemism overdrive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

ffs

"Fannygate"... hah :D

Anyways;

http://public.oed.com/aspects-of-english/english-in-use/the-gate-suffix/

So yeah... it's an 'official' usage for scandals.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    "Fannygate"... hah :D

Anyways;

http://public.oed.com/aspects-of-english/english-in-use/the-gate-suffix/

So yeah... it's an 'official' usage for scandals.

Oh, this could turn into 'official usage for scandals' gate…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

hummmmmm

I care, no, really, I dooo... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It annoys me that MTV is called MTV when there's no music on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

keano_afc wrote: »
    It annoys me that MTV is called MTV when there's no music on it.

The M has meant "Mediocre" for the last 20 years!

You can't even use the term "MTV generation" any more because teenagers today have no idea what you're on about!

"I remember when this was all music..."

*blows dust off cd covers* :(

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I care, no, really, I dooo... :D

I couldn't care less...er...so I could :confused:

hahahhaha

You can't even use the term "MTV generation" any more because teenagers today have no idea what you're on about!

Considering they are responsible for the programmes 'Geordie Shore', 'The Hills', 'Super Sweet 16' and 'Teen Mom' I would have thought 'MTV generation' would be more relevant now then at any other point in the last 25 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Muck TV is my pet name for it ;)

And don't fret, there are others like you who still love that CD sound! Bloody compressed mp3 files, it just doesn't sound the same. I imagine this is how vinyl people felt when CDs came along.

Oh yeah, thread topic, the lack of CD usage annoys me, which is quite trivial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement