Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

The huge array of online companies which now incorporate that pernicious American marketing exercise in false advertising (which is illegal in Irish law):

Excluding taxes

Give us the final price you fly-by-night first-rate chancers. The EU should have the power to ban all such false advertising online in the EU's borders and insist that the final price, the real price must always be the advertised price and fine companies accordingly.

The accommodation websites are the most obvious starting point. Of them, Agoda is the worst offender by a country mile. Other websites are now imitating it because in search engines like Trivago, Agoda comes up cheaper because it doesn't load its 20% plus fees on until the end when it has wasted your time. So now we have more hotels than ever advertising false and misleading prices - i.e. prices we will never get the hotel for because we have no choice but to pay taxes.

/ rant over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Literally had someone ask me do we sell keppetelers or kipplers. It's kepplers it is kepplers and it has always been. Learn to speak the goddamn language otherwise don't look at me as if I have 2 heads when I can't understand you.

Literally :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

When you go to the shop and you get people giving you lists, get me this, that and other crap and gives you money for it.

Then you have to bring back their change. You either have to pick up your stuff and their stuff and ask the shop assistant to take them separately. Then you're left with two handfuls of change, one for you and one for the other. Feel like dumping their change for confusing me.

If you dont do that, you have to do a second shop just so you can have the exact change.

Just fcuk right off and do your own shopping.

When two or three people sends me for crap. I'll do my own all right. But fcuk me if i'll do it two or three times over. I'll combine the lot together and let them sort out their own change between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

"2fm's Ad Free Bank Holiday Monday sponsored by Liberty Insurance."

I was apoplectic when I heard this in the car. I mean dafuq? :mad:

Common words and expressions which are frequently confused by journalists, that is people who write in English for a living. Here are five that spring to mind:

1) Currently and presently are not synonymous- i am currently here; I'll be there presently (shortly).

2) "begging the question" - contrary to the views of the vast majority of its users, this does not mean "poses the question" or "raises the question". Begging the question is a logical fallacy. If, for instance, somebody asks you "Why is he so unintelligent?" And you answer "Because he is stupid" that is "begging the question": in your answer you are merely repeating the premise of the question as 'stupid' and 'unintelligent' have essentially the same meaning.

3) Number and amount are not the same (please learn the diffference everybody): number of things/people vs amount of money, rain, uncountable nouns.

4) The number in that phone digit you called out is not, not, not the letter "o". It should be the number 0, that is zero. Zero, eight, seven...

5) Compliment vs complement: He have her a compliment because her dress complemented her hair. They complement (go along with) each other.

• Advertisement

People (on You Tube, mostly) who post a song and then others comment on it "why don't they make good music anymore, like it was in the 90s/80s/70s/60s ad nauseum".

Every decade has good and bad music, dammit.

People who call rap music "crap music". Ha fecking ha.

People who talk loudly in the workplace. Or on the tube/bus etc.

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    5) Compliment vs complement: He have her a compliment because her dress complemented her hair. They complement (go along with) each other.

Grammar bullies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭downey2003

4) The number in that phone digit you called out is not, not, not the letter "o". It should be the number 0, that is zero. Zero, eight, seven...

Zero is an Americanism. Good old NOUGHT is good enough for me!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Terrible TV shows.

I'm talking about the likes of The Kardashians and an abomination I saw at the weekend called Your Face Sounds Familiar. Just no need to make such appalling tripe.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Terrible TV shows.

I'm talking about the likes of The Kardashians and an abomination I saw at the weekend called Your Face Sounds Familiar. Just no need to make such appalling tripe.

I really cannot fault anything you have said, however Alexander Armstrong is a hero of a man who unfortunately found himself mixed up in this tripe due to the summer months being slow and made things a little more watchable. However give me a Pointless show any day of the week :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I really cannot fault anything you have said, however Alexander Armstrong is a hero of a man who unfortunately found himself mixed up in this tripe due to the summer months being slow and made things a little more watchable. However give me a Pointless show any day of the week :cool:

I absolutely love Pointless, one of my favourite shows. I was disappointed to see him in that stinking turd at the weekend, its so beneath him. What I don't get is that some people will have watched that "singing" show and been entertained by it. Very worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

The awkwardness of pulling up in the Car behind your hot neighbour in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

keano_afc wrote: »
    I absolutely love Pointless, one of my favourite shows. I was disappointed to see him in that stinking turd at the weekend, its so beneath him. What I don't get is that some people will have watched that "singing" show and been entertained by it. Very worrying.

I love pointless! I get annoyed when I guess something and it doesn't come up at the end.

I don't know if I watched todays or yesterdays one, but it was films with Humphrey Bogart. I said Sabrina and I'll never know if anyone else said it :( happened again with Ricky Gervais movies. Still the best show ever.

I love pointless! I get annoyed when I guess something and it doesn't come up at the end.

I don't know if I watched todays or yesterdays one, but it was films with Humphrey Bogart. I said Sabrina and I'll never know if anyone else said it :( happened again with Ricky Gervais movies. Still the best show ever.

Well I've got a treat for you :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81835978

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

That's my day gone tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Common words and expressions which are frequently confused by journalists, that is people who write in English for a living. Here are five that spring to mind:

1) Currently and presently are not synonymous- i am currently here; I'll be there presently (shortly).

2) "begging the question" - contrary to the views of the vast majority of its users, this does not mean "poses the question" or "raises the question". Begging the question is a logical fallacy. If, for instance, somebody asks you "Why is he so unintelligent?" And you answer "Because he is stupid" that is "begging the question": in your answer you are merely repeating the premise of the question as 'stupid' and 'unintelligent' have essentially the same meaning.

3) Number and amount are not the same (please learn the diffference everybody): number of things/people vs amount of money, rain, uncountable nouns.

There was a time when I would've agreed with you but not anymore. English was a spoken language a long time before people were writing it down so once you can communicate what you are trying to say then its job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Whats annoying me right now is the fact that 2 songs on bought on itunes wont play!!! Grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just now I was a millisecond away from a good sneeze and then... nuthin'...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Naid23 wrote: »
    Whats annoying me right now is the fact that 2 songs on bought on itunes wont play!!! Grrrrr

You 'buy' songs ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

The phrase 'same difference' being used to make the point that two things are the same...

...if they're the same then there is NO DIFFERENCE, nothing is the 'same'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

one minute shower gel in hand,next you look down and yes this blue gel is on the floor of the shower headin for the plug hole laughing it's [EMAIL="f@*#&$g"]f?*#&$g[/EMAIL] blue head off:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

speaking of in the shower, putting shampoo in your hands and then rubbing it under your arms and on your body before you realise its not the shower gel/soap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

retalivity wrote: »
    speaking of in the shower, putting shampoo in your hands and then rubbing it under your arms and on your body before you realise its not the shower gel/soap

At least you'll have tangle free pubes and armpit hair.

Restaurants which serve classy food, have a classy ambience and sublime service and then ruin it all by having an abysmally inappropriate choice of music in the background, usually playing far too loud to facilitate good conversation.

Reminder, restaurant staff: the music is not to reflect your musical taste; it is there as mellow background music to create a context within which your customers can enjoy their meals and conversations with each other without that music being intrusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

When restaurants add a service charge on to your bill.

The awkwardness of pulling up in the Car behind your hot neighbour in town

Pulling what up in the car, exactly? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

These flies - they're so bad this year, omg!!

/RAGE

Bloody trolls of the animal kingdom - I can only imagine that meme'd trollface on their lil heads...

Picture

When you book an adult-only resort, and pay extra for it, and all is going grand until one evening somebody moves in with screaming children disturbing everything that has been built up in your oasis. You know they are there because the greedy hotel owners overbooked their family resort section and are now giving them alternative accommodation in the adult-only section. You know you're going to have to say something to management but you'd prefer not to. At the very least their otherwise flawless Tripadvisor review will not be the review you had expected to write before this. No winners here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

When a store has shelves and shelves of white shirts in every god damn size but mine :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Peoples complete lack of consideration for others sharing the same space bugged the ar*e off me today. My Husband and I went to Limerick and decided to have lunch, all fine til that point. A middle aged woman, her mother, daughter and toddler came into the cafe. First she almost ploughed a guy down with the pram to get the table before he could.

Then she proceeded to let the child crawl on the table, shriek and shout at the top of his voice, pound on the walls and a mirrored wall at the side of the table, all the while ignoring him. Now if the child had been throwing a tantrum I could have accepted that she was ignoring him in order to break the habit, but oh no, she was allowing him to behave like a spoilt little brat:mad: I was delighted when a young man with Downs Syndrome went over to her, introduced himself and politely complained about the noise:D

On the bus back we were stuck in the middle of loves young teenage dream with a young wan sucking the face off some lad while blasting out music that sounded like the smurfs on helium. Behind us 3 grown Indian lads in their late 20's and all with headphones blasted Bollywood music out.

Some days I just want to verbally rip someone a new ass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement