Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Peoples complete lack of consideration for others sharing the same space bugged the ar*e off me today. My Husband and I went to Limerick and decided to have lunch, all fine til that point. A middle aged woman, her mother, daughter and toddler came into the cafe. First she almost ploughed a guy down with the pram to get the table before he could.

Then she proceeded to let the child crawl on the table, shriek and shout at the top of his voice, pound on the walls and a mirrored wall at the side of the table, all the while ignoring him. Now if the child had been throwing a tantrum I could have accepted that she was ignoring him in order to break the habit, but oh no, she was allowing him to behave like a spoilt little brat:mad: I was delighted when a young man with Downs Syndrome went over to her, introduced himself and politely complained about the noise:D

On the bus back we were stuck in the middle of loves young teenage dream with a young wan sucking the face off some lad while blasting out music that sounded like the smurfs on helium. Behind us 3 grown Indian lads in their late 20's and all with headphones blasted Bollywood music out.

Some days I just want to verbally rip someone a new ass.

Why didn't you complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Why didn't you complain?

I wouldn't complain either to be honest. Mothers with kids don't tend to take kindly to people strolling up and giving them "advise on their parenting" (as they would put it). You always end up looking like the bad guy. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I wouldn't complain either to be honest. Mothers with kids don't tend to take kindly to people strolling up and giving them "advise on their parenting" (as they would put it). You always end up looking like the bad guy. :/

Its hardly advice on parenting. Its asking them to show a common courtesy to other people in the restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Why didn't you complain?
    Because I'd probably have gotten a mouthful of abuse if I'd complained and then she'd most likely have let the child carry on. As my Husband pointed out to me, it was only because the chap had Down's Syndrome that he got away with complaining. She'd have been too embarrassed to get abusive with him in that environment. I just settled for the annoying passive aggressive glare as we were leaving, that's the stock in trade of those of us who aren't parents:D

Nialler15 wrote: »
    Its hardly advice on parenting. Its asking them to show a common courtesy to other people in the restaurant.

It isn't advice thats the point i was making in my previous post. In practice, (a lot of the time), if you go up to a mother with children in a cafe and ask her to keep the noise down the first thing you'll get in return is an angry response such as.

1. How dare you tell me what to do in a public place.

2. Who do you think you are to come up to me and tell me what to do with my children

3. Stop abusing me in front of my children.

or something similarly blabby & defensive. It's not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

elfy4eva wrote: »
    It isn't advice thats the point i was making in my previous post. In practice, (a lot of the time), if you go up to a mother with children in a cafe and ask her to keep the noise down the first thing you'll get in return is an angry response such as.

1. How dare you tell me what to do in a public place.

2. Who do you think you are to come up to me and tell me what to do with my children

3. Stop abusing me in front of my children.

or something similarly blabby & defensive. It's not worth it.

And that is where not questioning these people will get you. Nowhere and going out will become a progressively worse experience.

And that is where not questioning these people will get you. Nowhere and going out will become a progressively worse experience.

What exactly do you think questioning her would achieve?

I really think that in instances like that one today, the owner should have a word with the mother, it's unacceptable to have a child crawling on a table where other people will be eating after them and that level of intrusive noise affects everyone else in the place. I think most people avoid complaining because they know they'll just get abuse for it. McDonald's is just down the street and I'd expect that kind of noisy crap there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I would have complained to the manager.I have kids and they all have their off days but no way would i allow that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Those nutri-grain adverts, putting fellas in pink dressing gowns.

I know it's meant to be anti-stereotype, but it looks fcuking stupid, and the adverts themselves are just shìte!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

That Wagon Wheel song, and more so how it seems that I'm the only bloody person who hates it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I wouldnt either. You just know you'd get the head taken off you if you so much as suggest that their darling sh1t machine is inconveniencing others.

I really think that in instances like that one today, the owner should have a word with the mother, it's unacceptable to have a child crawling on a table where other people will be eating after them and that level of intrusive noise affects everyone else in the place. I think most people avoid complaining because they know they'll just get abuse for it. McDonald's is just down the street and I'd expect that kind of noisy crap there.

Reminds me, I was in McDonalds before and this woman was there with her bratty, noisy progeny. They finished up and left and then she held her little fella in front of the window for him to pee on the glass. Right in front of us! ffs, what a kn*cker. Toilets were a 10 second walk away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Reminds me, I was in McDonalds before and this woman was there with her bratty, noisy progeny. They finished up and left and then she held her little fella in front of the window for him to pee on the glass. Right in front of us! ffs, what a kn*cker. Toilets were a 10 second walk away!

To be fair you were in McD's. What did you expect? Quality food at low prices with well behaved children?

To be fair you were in McD's. What did you expect? Quality food at low prices with well behaved children?

I dont think p1ssing against the glass in front of someone who is eating is acceptable in any establishment :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Instead everyone on here seems to be happy to stew in their anger and shoot sullen glances at the parent because they don't want to approach them because of what they possibly might say in reply to you. Say your piece to the person if it is really annoying you that much or stfu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I dont think p1ssing against the glass in front of someone who is eating is acceptable in any establishment :confused:

When you gotta go......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Instead everyone on here seems to be happy to stew in their anger and shoot sullen glances at the parent because they don't want to approach them because of what they possibly might say in reply to you. Say your piece to the person if it is really annoying you that much or stfu.

Its the managements job to sort that out, not the patrons. If you complain to anyone it should be the management.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Yeah, because the rules of basic human decency don't apply in McD's...

Its the managements job to sort that out, not the patrons. If you complain to anyone it should be the management.

Complain to management then. The OP did neither.

It's like people are socially conditioned not to approach parents because they'll be attacked for it. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but it's going to be more effective than moaning about it hours later on an internet forum and speculating on what type of parent the person is. Maybe she genuinely doesn't realise the effect the child is having on surrounding patrons.

• Advertisement

When you gotta go......
    ...the option of using a toilet is still open to you ;)

When you are going from ground to fifth floor or vice versa and some lazy b*llox stops the lift en route so that they can go up or down one feckin floor. :mad:

Complain to management then. The OP did neither.

It's like people are socially conditioned not to approach parents because they'll be attacked for it. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but it's going to be more effective than moaning about it hours later on an internet forum and speculating on what type of parent the person is. Maybe she genuinely doesn't realise the effect the child is having on surrounding patrons.
    You're a cheery little kunst ray of sunshine, I bet you're a big hit with the opposite sex too:P

You're a cheery little kunst ray of sunshine, I bet you're a big hit with the opposite sex too:P

I can't see what my raw, unbridled, sexual magnetism (tssst, dang I'm hot!) and my getting it on abilities has do with your inability to complain to a parent about the behaviour of their child…

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

People who misunderstand the meaning of trivial and post about things that annoy everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    People who misunderstand the meaning of trivial and post about things that annoy everybody!

The way 'wind' and 'wind' are spelled the same.

Is that trivial enough for you ?

We just want to moan now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

This new fad of "unboxing videos" for new tech

People who try to communicate with you when you are clearly on the phone.

People who come and stand by your desk when you are on the phone.

People greeting me at any stage between 09:00 - 12:00 Monday

People who are not comfortable with silence and talk absolute sh1te waffle at you.

People who say, "hi how are you?" but dont wait to hear how you actually are.

People who put the emphasis on "you" when they ask "how are you?".

People. People. People. People. People. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Loud people. You're sitting having a quiet chat and in trundles a loud person devoid of sensitivity to the calm in the surroundings he has just entered. Step back, open your eyes and come back in with a bit of meas for the people who are already in the place.

This surely isn't too much to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Continuing the work theme......

People who take the stall/urinal directly next to you when there are other spots available.......

People on the fone talking loud when they think they are right and quiet when they are not sure....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement