Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

People who yell "choon" or "serious choonage" when "I'm Free" by The Soup Dragons comes on the radio. An abomination.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

andyman wrote: »
    Cyclists who've absolutely no regard for the rules of the road, and this is in the majority that I've encountered.

Even today. I was coming onto a roundabout and these two cyclists just pull out right in front of me despite the fact they're supposed to give right of way to traffic coming from their right (in their case, me!).

Can you explain this better? Were you "coming onto" the roundabout and they were already on it? How did they pull out in front of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Can you explain this better? Were you "coming onto" the roundabout and they were already on it? How did they pull out in front of you?

I'd have to agree with your fella - I absolutely HATE it when there's a group of them taking up the width of the road [secondary, back roads], and they don't have the decency to form into a column to let you pass easily. And when you do manage to overtake they sometimes give you a stare as though you're in the wrong or something. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with your fella - I absolutely HATE it when there's a group of them taking up the width of the road [secondary, back roads], and they don't have the decency to form into a column to let you pass easily. And when you do manage to overtake they sometimes give you a stare as though you're in the wrong or something. :rolleyes:

If you can't overtake them safely when they are 2 abreast then you cant overtake them when they are single. They are under no obligation to move into single file either, 2 abreast is safer for them.

When the press report ' such and such ' has jetted into town..

No, they didnt, they flew in FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Jake1 wrote: »
    When the press report ' such and such ' has jetted into town..

No, they didnt, they flew in FFS.

Usually on a jet though, as opposed to flapping their arms and flying in themselves :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

How every delicatessen leaves the skin on the cucumber instead of peeling it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

People who slam car doors like theyre in a f*cking movie should be sterilized:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

If you can't overtake them safely when they are 2 abreast then you cant overtake them when they are single. They are under no obligation to move into single file either, 2 abreast is safer for them.

By group I'm talking about the likes of 3+. Do you have any idea how narrow back roads [countryside] can be ? They'd be the width of a car and a half... and plenty of times these cyclists don't care if someone's behind them or not, taking up the ENTIRE width of the road - even if they're holding up numerous cars. There's this thing called common decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

By group I'm talking about the likes of 3+. Do you have any idea how narrow back roads [countryside] can be ? They'd be the width of a car and a half... and plenty of times these cyclists don't care if someone's behind them or not, taking up the ENTIRE width of the road - even if they're holding up numerous cars. There's this thing called common decency.

3 abreast isn't allowed. 2 is and is advised. They shouldn't care if a car is behind them, they are just as entitled as anyone else to use the roads. Havign to wait a little bit to overtake safely shouldn't inconvenience you too much, but then again this is trivial things that annoy you i guess :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

3 abreast is against the law. You're perfectly within your rights to plough through the one closest the middle of the road in such a scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

3 abreast isn't allowed. 2 is and is advised. They shouldn't care if a car is behind them, they are just as entitled as anyone else to use the roads. Havign to wait a little bit to overtake safely shouldn't inconvenience you too much, but then again this is trivial things that annoy you i guess :)

why is 2 abreast advised?

I hate cyclists, not because I dont think they should be on the road but at the moment I am on a learner's permit and OT'ing them is super scary - TERRIFIED of tipping them! But you cant stay behind or the drivers behind will go mad :/ Also seriously irritating when they almost kill you at pedestrian crossings. Oh and have nearly died of fright a few times on buses when I'm sitting in the top left seat and it actually feels like the driver is gonna run over them! :/ Saw a cyclist one day on Dmae street who took pity on a girl who had missed her bus (49) and he actually cycled in the middle of the lane in front of the bus the whole way around by christchurch to slow it so she had time to catch it on patrick st. Chivalry at its best or sheer stupidity? I'm not sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

It's drummed into farmers and people driving slow machinery to be wary of cars and pull in the closest chance you get to let them pass safely. Obviously you don't pull in for every car that comes up behind you, I think the golden number is 7 vehicles. Unfortunately some cyclists tip away, 2 abreast, on a windy bumpy road passing no heed on what's building up behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Only finding one slipper!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

People who slam car doors like theyre in a f*cking movie should be sterilized:mad::mad::mad:

So should people who say "movie" instead of film. Unless you live in America, of course.

But this 2 abreast cycling thing. Its pure madness. Most of the roads in this country are, well, COUNTRY roads. Two cars cant even pass each other, nevermind two cyclists ignorantly ploughing downhill towards you 2 abreast! Hang on a minute till I bury my car in the ditch, so you can have your little egotistical victory of "two abreast is legal" while risking your life:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

newmug wrote: »
    So should people who say "movie" instead of film. Unless you live in America, of course.

But this 2 abreast cycling thing. Its pure madness. Most of the roads in this country are, well, COUNTRY roads. Two cars cant even pass each other, nevermind two cyclists ignorantly ploughing downhill towards you 2 abreast! Hang on a minute till I bury my car in the ditch, so you can have your little egotistical victory of "two abreast is legal" while risking your life:rolleyes:

I always thought two abreast is illegal? :confused: Why would they make that legal? That's ****ing stupid!!

Keeping on the country road's theme, Dublin drivers on country roads. In Dublin they are fine, straight roads, fine, dual carriageways, fine. But on a country road they are ridiculously slow and do not know how to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

URLs that require the www to work.

Most websites you don't need it, but certain ones do - the Meteor mymeteor page and the TCD library page spring to mind. Nearly every time it takes me two tries :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

How every delicatessen leaves the skin on the cucumber instead of peeling it off.

What skin?

lkionm wrote: »
    What skin?

The green outer part. It's meant to be cut off. Not sure if skin is the right word but it feels like the right word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Keeping on the country road's theme, Dublin drivers on country roads. In Dublin they are fine, straight roads, fine, dual carriageways, fine. But on a country road they are ridiculously slow and do not know how to overtake.

Are these drivers you speak of not just country drivers home for the weekend driving their Dublin reg cars ?

mattjack wrote: »
    Are these drivers you speak of not just country drivers home for the weekend driving their Dublin reg cars ?

Once you leave you can never come back. You get integrated/assimilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

mattjack wrote: »

Would these people be referred to as Blow-backs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I don't think it's anything to do with Dubliners but more to do with people who don't know certain roads being more careful than usual. I agree though that a very small minority of people tend to take the piss in this regard, and of course you're more likely to come across them than reasonable drivers. Slow drivers kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I don't think it's anything to do with Dubliners but more to do with people who don't know certain roads being more careful than usual. I agree though that a very small minority of people tend to take the piss in this regard, and of course you're more likely to come across them than reasonable drivers. Slow drivers kill.

I'd take Dublin slow drivers than schmad lad boyracers from the country.

Slow drivers píss me off but not nearly enough as speeders do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

When people make spelling mistakes in their thread titles, and the thread goes on for ages and they still never fix the spelling mistake. Wrecks my head. ("Trivial" being the operative term here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What's wrong with "Trivial"?

Eathrin wrote: »
    What's wrong with "Trivial"?

Eh, nothing. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

whirlpool wrote: »
    Eh, nothing. Why?

I think he thought you were giving out that trivial was spelled wrong.

• Advertisement

I think he thought you were giving out that trivial was spelled wrong.

I see. No, I was saying that "trivial" is most definitely the word to describe what irritates me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement