Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I move the car if the station appears to be in any way busy, or has three pumps or less. I don't move otherwise, and I especially don't move if there's 3-4 pumps free and one car pulls up behind me because their fuel cap is on the same side, as opposed to using one of the many others.

I hate people who insist on using pumps on the same side!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Guess you must hate everyone then... :pac:

Your logic is flawed anyways, so people are 'parking' at the pump to pay their petrol - so what?

If they go to park in the small parking lot, and it's full - you got to wait still then ain't it?

/derp

Besides, most people use that small parking lot if they're going there to purchase something other than petrol...

Will they even allow you to use the pump if the other person is still in the queue paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    why is 2 abreast advised?

Its safer, as is cycling nearer to the center of the lane, because otherwise bad drivers try to squeeze the cyclist into the ditch as they pass them with oncoming traffic. You can also see them easier when coming around bends.
    Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    I always thought two abreast is illegal? :confused: Why would they make that legal? That's ****ing stupid!!

No its not illegal or stupid. Not knowing the rules of the road on the other hand...
    newmug wrote: »
    But this 2 abreast cycling thing. Its pure madness. Most of the roads in this country are, well, COUNTRY roads. Two cars cant even pass each other, nevermind two cyclists ignorantly ploughing downhill towards you 2 abreast! Hang on a minute till I bury my car in the ditch, so you can have your little egotistical victory of "two abreast is legal" while risking your life:rolleyes:
    Why would you bury your car in the ditch? Are you driving too fast maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

"Should of" and "would of" ====>>> why, why, why do people say this?

It makes absolutely no sense, none at all. It's "should have" and "would have". E.G. I should have done it and I would have done it had I the money.

Furthermore, it's not "would/should have went" never mind "would/should of went". It's would have/should have gone. Gone.

What are they teaching in English classes these days? Ditch the poetry and the oppressively neurotic Jane Austen novels and work on things like the above, as well as the widespread misuse of words like "seen" and "done" and the shocking "thrun" (for 'threw'; e.g. 'He thrun that at me').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    "Should of" and "would of" ====>>> why, why, why do people say this?

It makes absolutely no sense, none at all. It's "should have" and "would have". E.G. I should have done it and I would have done it had I the money.

Furthermore, it's not "would/should have went" never mind "would/should of went". It's would have/should have gone. Gone.

What are they teaching in English classes these days? Ditch the poetry and the oppressively neurotic Jane Austen novels and work on things like the above, as well as the widespread misuse of words like "seen" and "done" and the shocking "thrun" (for 'threw'; e.g. 'He thrun that at me').

Unfortunately Dostoevsky it's actually because they ARE trying to ditch the classics that abominations like "facebuke spelling" are allowed take hold in the minds of uninspired young adults.

I'm not a spelling or grammar pedant, and the pedants annoy me, but it certainly IS getting to the stage where we REALLY may need to go back and have another look at the curriculum and focussing on the basics like the "three Rs" -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_three_Rs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Waiters/waitresses who interrupt your conversation to ask are you finished eating and can they take your plate.

When I'm finished eating I'll put my knife and fork next to each other in the centre of the plate. That's your clue. When I'm not finished I'll leave my knife and fork apart. Simple, really simple. I was told this as a child. Are restaurant owners not telling their employees this basic piece of manners?

I think you're being a little overly sensitive here. You can't expect waiters to assume that their customers have been educated, or indeed that the etiquette for cutlery placement is the same universally. I don't see the harm in the waiter asking the question. Are your conversations so profound that they can't be interrupted by a simple question requiring a yes or no answer :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Why do people dress their children identically? It's bad enough when they do it to twins but it just looks ridiculous to me. Why take away a childs individuality? What's worst of all is women who coordinate their own clothes with their kids, i.e they are wearing red so they dress each of their kids in red and dress the girls identically. Don't know why it annoys me so much but it does:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I think you're being a little overly sensitive here. You can't expect waiters to assume that their customers have been educated, or indeed that the etiquette for cutlery placement is the same universally. I don't see the harm in the waiter asking the question. Are your conversations so profound that they can't be interrupted by a simple question requiring a yes or no answer :confused:
    Some waiting staff are rude, hovering like vultures, constantly looking with an annoyed expression, then when they do ask and you tell them you're not finished they look really pissed off.

Not everyone wants to shovel their food into their mouths at olympic speed, some people like to put down their cutlery and chew or chat between mouthfuls. I would have thought most people knew about cutlery placement too.

Why do people dress their children identically? It's bad enough when they do it to twins but it just looks ridiculous to me. Why take away a childs individuality? What's worst of all is women who coordinate their own clothes with their kids, i.e they are wearing red so they dress each of their kids in red and dress the girls identically. Don't know why it annoys me so much but it does:confused:

It's just less hassle really than traipsing around the shops and being all day listening to the children saying "I don't like this, I don't like that, such and such is only €100"...

That's coming from my own eight year old. He can assert his own individuality when he's old enough to pay for it himself. Until then he'll wear what's bought for him and I don't care that little johnny down the road has the latest Arsenal jersey or is kitted out in Nike top to toe or whatever! :pac:

There's one that's not so trivial that REALLY bugs me actually- children that rule their parents because the parents haven't got the balls to say "NO", they're afraid in case the child "won't be their friend any more"...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Czarcasm wrote: »
    There's one that's not so trivial that REALLY bugs me actually- children that rule their parents because the parents haven't got the balls to say "NO", they're afraid in case the child "won't be their friend any more"...

"Tough love, baby."

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    "Tough love, baby."

He'll have plenty of time to hate me when he's older, I'm just getting him used to the idea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Cos the kids love it.

Cos the kids love it.

I'm glad somebody else said it and not me because it does weird me out a little sometimes that my son comes out dressed almost identical to me with the shirt and tie and the whole lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I round up all the kids on the estate and put blonde wigs and grey clothes and get them to all stand at the edge of the main road in a row and get them to stare at the cars going by to freak people out. Great craic so it is.

I round up all the kids on the estate and put blonde wigs and grey clothes and get them to all stand at the edge of the main road in a row and get them to stare at the cars going by to freak people out. Great craic so it is.

Reminded me of this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Children of the Damned was a hell of a lot more multicultural than the Aryan Village of the Damned…

Some waiting staff are rude, hovering like vultures, constantly looking with an annoyed expression, then when they do ask and you tell them you're not finished they look really pissed off.

Not everyone wants to shovel their food into their mouths at olympic speed, some people like to put down their cutlery and chew or chat between mouthfuls. I would have thought most people knew about cutlery placement too.

All valid points, but I still maintain that is is perfectly acceptable, and expected to be asked if you are finished before the waiter takes your plate.

What you are talking about is not what the original post was referring to. The issue they had was with being asked the question "are you finished". Not being asked rudely, or repeatedly:
    Waiters/waitresses who interrupt your conversation to ask are you finished eating and can they take your plate.

When I'm finished eating I'll put my knife and fork next to each other in the centre of the plate. That's your clue. When I'm not finished I'll leave my knife and fork apart. Simple, really simple. I was told this as a child. Are restaurant owners not telling their employees this basic piece of manners?
    I think you're being a little overly sensitive here. You can't expect waiters to assume that their customers have been educated, or indeed that the etiquette for cutlery placement is the same universally. I don't see the harm in the waiter asking the question. Are your conversations so profound that they can't be interrupted by a simple question requiring a yes or no answer confused.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I worked as a waitress in a couple of different restaurants in my college years, one a basic chipper/diner style place and the other a fairly fancy restaurant with silver service and all that sort of silly carry on. In both jobs I can be fairly sure I encountered all sorts from all walks of life and the vast majority of them do not give a crap where their knives and forks are when they finish their meal. It would be a good indicator if everybody did it, but they simply don't so sometimes when it's not obvious you just have to ask. The alternative is leaving them with their plates in front of them when they might want desert and or tea/coffee which is a much greater offence than interrupting them for a second to ask if they are finished.

Trivial thing that annoys me, people who assume that just because they do something it means everybody else does it too :P

People that don't know when to just fcuk off, well, outstay their welcome at least...

Neighbour here has been yakking away to my wife for the last three hours, he's one of the most irritating fcuks I've ever had to entertain, so now I just don't entertain him any more.

He might as well move in at this rate! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Seems that someone thinks they're in with Czarcasm's wife :D

• Advertisement

Leggings/tights as pants. No! Stop it!

Leggings/tights as pants. No! Stop it!

Surely it can be the best thing in the world, and the worst - it depends on what is put into them.

Leggings with a peachy @ss, it's one of life's beautiful things. A brief google images with an appropriate search term has re-confirmed my instinct on this....god bless the interweb.

Surely it can be the best thing in the world, and the worst - it depends on what is put into them.

Leggings with a peachy @ss, it's one of life's beautiful things. A brief google images with an appropriate search term has re-confirmed my instinct on this....god bless the interweb.

It's the new pyjamas. Also the more popular it is the more likely you'll have horrible visions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

People who don't realise that many adjectives become adverbs with the by the addition of the letters l and y . Without this addition they are are still adjectives !

Getting it now on the new Setanta Sports radio ad - The guy asks how Setanta Sports IS PERFORMING - "Superb" is the answer he is given.

SUPERBLY YOU IDIOT! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Meandering, phone-reading walkers on busy streets.

There should be a bye-law stating that one can slap the back of their heads if they interfere with your path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

People that don't know when to just fcuk off, well, outstay their welcome at least...

Neighbour here has been yakking away to my wife for the last three hours, he's one of the most irritating fcuks I've ever had to entertain, so now I just don't entertain him any more.

He might as well move in at this rate! :mad:

Well I never! Wait til the wife hears of this. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've seen lose written as loose so many times that I'm starting to think it's spelt wrong when it's really right :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I've seen lose written as loose so many times that I'm starting to think it's spelt wrong when it's really right :confused:

YOUR so right about that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

desbrook wrote: »
    YOUR so right about that :D

Ah now, their is no need for that! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I hate when some people on Boards have a different opinion to mine :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement