Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    alot and noone are not words!

Unless you name is Noone, bazinga..it's a word:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

1ZRed wrote: »
    Trying to find shampoo in a girls shower. Between 10 bottles of conditioner and multiple tubes of face masks, it's surprisingly difficult.

I actually nearly gave up after looking for 5 minutes.

Spot on. Finding myself shampooless during one shower, I eyed the bewildering array of my wifes bottles of "stuff" and thought, "No problem...I'll just borrow a bit." Women don't have bathrooms, they have labs... :)

Stork

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

The fact that Ive to post 13 more times before I can get access to the soccer forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Boombastic wrote: »
    Unless you name is Noone, bazinga..it's a word:)

Bazinga isn't a word either and cosplaying is another one that annoys, why can't they say dressed as? I suppose cosplay sounds nerdier and that makes it cooler, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Certain pronunciations:

"Modren"
    "Colyum"
    "Los Vegas"
    "Al Kwayda" (Matt Cooper)

When Gerry Ryan was alive I would have added "Paydiofeel" to the above list.

Certain phrases:

"Coming to terms with" (see also "In shock")
    "End of"
    "Simple as"

The first is way overused. Right now, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I left the kettle too long after it boiled and now I'll have to boil it again to make my coffee.

The last two really make my blood boil. I imagine that people who use them see themselves as being extra forceful. Or something. It doesn't work.

I'm also a bit OCD when it comes to cutlery. When setting the table, knives and forks must be of the same set - not just for me, but for everyone. Mismatches are, however, allowed if there's nothing clean available.

Other than that, I consider myself a well-balanced individual. Coming mother...

Stork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

RebelRed90 wrote: »
    The fact that Ive to post 13 more times before I can get access to the soccer forum!

Ok, I'll help you there.

Do you reckon Sligo Rovers can win the League again this year? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

One more: When you put on a clean pair of socks and you walk on a wet patch on the floor, leaving one sock soaking. Just happened to me there. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really really hate when 2-4 people group will decide to have a chat in some very busy choke point like near shop doors or busy sidewalk.
    It's like: **** the world, we need to talk! We don't care that we blocking path for everyone! Muhahahahah !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Bazinga isn't a word either and cosplaying is another one that annoys, why can't they say dressed as? I suppose cosplay sounds nerdier and that makes it cooler, is that it?

I never heard of cosplaying, so can't help you there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

gammygils wrote: »
    People who when stalled in traffic leave their foot on the brake pedal

Red lights glaring. Use the bloody hand brake!!!!!

I do this with my dads car because it's an automatic :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

On the point if motorists: idiots who feel the need to veer left before turning right....it's not a damn bus you're driving.

Charity bag packing in a supermarket: Leave my groceries, booze, jacks roll alone. If I wanted someone to do it for me I'd have done my shopping online...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

ratracer wrote: »
    On the point if motorists: idiots who feel the need to veer left before turning right....it's not a damn bus you're driving.

Charity bag packing in a supermarket: Leave my groceries, booze, jacks roll alone. If I wanted someone to do it for me I'd have done my shopping online...

Oh yes I hate those charity bagpackers.
    I'd rather just give them the money and pack the bags myself.
    I always feel like a lemon standing there watching them pack my bags arseways; putting tins on top of my bread and Dettol in with my fresh cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

People who don't finish the sentences they st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'd rather just give them the money and pack the bags myself.

Why don't you? That's what I do. They always give me a funny look but I like to pack my groceries a certain way and once I throw them a bit of change they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

LizT wrote: »

I do this with my dads car because it's an automatic :o
    How do you stall an automatic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I get annoyed when something in a store in Dublin and then going on Amazon.com and seeing the exact same model for 35% less money.

Or buying something from Amazon.co.uk and finding the exact same model item on Amazon.com for 25% less money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Getting used to a webpage like YouTube and Twitter. Having it setup right and knowing all the shortcuts ... and then they go and redesign it and you are back to square one.

Also Gmail when you forget your password, and they ask sercurity questions that I filled in 6 months ago. Am on my 3 google account so far. I'm sure this is just so they can say they have millions of users who are really just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    How do you stall an automatic?

I presume they meant stopped in a line of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

Lucena wrote: »
    Ok, I'll help you there.

Do you reckon Sligo Rovers can win the League again this year? :pac:

haha legend. Cork city are on the way up still, theyll mount a challenge for the league this year. Yes I am a pretentious LoI fan too:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

When people say "What age is he/she/it?" instead of "How old is he/she/it?" I know they're both right but "what age" just irrationally angers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

My rant -

1) People from companies such as O2 or Bord Gais who phone up out of the blue. I tell them I'm at work/busy and can't take the call at that time. He/she says 'oh sorry' - and then start to tell me why they'd phoned me to begin with with.... Which part of "I can't talk now" is hard to understand???

2) People who don't know how to blow their nose so spend their time snorting up the snot (apologies to anyone eating at the moment !!!). There is one fella who gets the same train as me every day and you can hear him throughout the carraige. Now, I know people can't always help it, especially when they have colds, but this fella is snorting all year round. The 'regulars' on the train have all nicknamed him Snots.

3) It is really annoying when I am in my car, waiting patiently for the traffic light to go green and then as soon as it does some jay-walking twat decides to cross in front of me. This keeps happening at a junction where the lights change really quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

For me it is the timings of traffic lights at night time. Down the road there is a major 4 way junction just 200m from my house. I have to go through it to get anywhere. During the day if you get caught at a red light you're in for a four minute wait before green, which is fair enough as its a busy junction.

But at night when it is generally empty and deserted you still have to wait those 4 minutes if you miss the green light. Trivial I know but highly annoying when you're arriving home and get caught by a red light. I'm sitting watching my house only 200m away but I know I've got a 4 minute wait at those dam lights.

When there is no traffic about lights should really be set to change every 45 seconds or so to let what little cars there are to move without hindrance.

Why can't we get even simple sh1t like this right in Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Trivial Pursuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Cashiers in shops not handing change back to you directly, instead slapping it down on the counter where you have to try and pick the coins up again.

Fine if I did the same by throwing money on the counter initially ( which I don't), but at least try to reciprocate.

Theres a weak arguement that it prevents the spread of germs...BUT they are handling money anyway, which probably has every pox known to man on it.

And if its intended as an invitation to leave a tip, F**k off! I would have already left you a tip if I thought you did a good job

Boils my blood, Pure ignorance.

Can't stand this either. You put the money in their hand and they return the change onto the counter. I've noticed that eastern Europeans do it a lot and they even have special trays on the counter for your to pick your change out of.

If the practice persists then then I'm going to retaliate by placing my coins on the counter first, maybe even spilling one or two over the other side ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Any bit of white on my finger nails! I hate it and it'll annoy me all day if they grow out a bit and I can't cut them back as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

RATM wrote: »
    For me it is the timings of traffic lights at night time. Down the road there is a major 4 way junction just 200m from my house. I have to go through it to get anywhere. During the day if you get caught at a red light you're in for a four minute wait before green, which is fair enough as its a busy junction.

But at night when it is generally empty and deserted you still have to wait those 4 minutes if you miss the green light. Trivial I know but highly annoying when you're arriving home and get caught by a red light. I'm sitting watching my house only 200m away but I know I've got a 4 minute wait at those dam lights.

When there is no traffic about lights should really be set to change every 45 seconds or so to let what little cars there are to move without hindrance.

Why can't we get even simple sh1t like this right in Ireland ?

In Belgium, off peak they have flashing amber which means go slowly with caution. It would be perfect for many places here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I experience disproportionate paroxysms of rage when people complain about mispronunciations, or perceived mispronunciations, without pausing to think about how to represent sounds in text.

One common case is when people complain about an emphasis on a particular syllable, and attempt to demonstrate this by putting a hyphen between two syllables.
    For example: "I hate when people pronounce 'carpenter' as 'carpent-er' instead of 'car-penter.'"
    There's no indication as to which syllable the person hates to hear the emphasis on: the hyphen merely indicates a pause between syllables.
    Surely the obvious thing to do would be to put the emphasised syllable in bold, thus: "I hate when people pronounce 'carpenter' as 'carpenter' instead of 'carpenter.'"

And of course you see the occasional "I hate when people say carpenter instead of carpenter." That just makes me apoplectic.

The next time there's a thread about annoying pronunciations, I'm going to post the following early, in bold: "MOD NOTE: Please indicate emphasised syllables by putting them in bold, or at least in capitals or underline them. Anyone failing to do so will be banned."
    The punishment will be worth the peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Jaggy

That just makes me apoplectic.

Apoplectic isn't used enough. Great word!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

Housemate put a pair of tracksuit bottoms on a 90 degree wash for about two hours the other day.

Then put two half loads in at 90 degree wash after that. All random colours too.

ARGH

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement