Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

People who say Tesco's

It's TESCO for God sake!! Read the sign.
    There's enough of them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Transfer deadline day, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

gammygils wrote: »
    People who say Tesco's

There's enough of them

I assume you also say "Eason" instead of "Easons", and "Peter Mark" instead of "Peter Marks"???
    If so, you are very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

funny.. that doesn't really bother me at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Laggy POS UPC remote and it's equally juddery interface!

The amount of times you miss the start of shows trying to get the digits in just right, and ultimately failing, is unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

fussyonion wrote: »
    I assume you also say "Eason" instead of "Easons", and "Peter Mark" instead of "Peter Marks"???
    If so, you are very odd.

Im going to Dunne to buy biscuit and crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

storker wrote: »
    Certain pronunciations:

"Modren"
    "Colyum"
    "Los Vegas"
    "Al Kwayda" (Matt Cooper)

When Gerry Ryan was alive I would have added "Paydiofeel" to the above list.

Certain phrases:

"Coming to terms with" (see also "In shock")
    "End of"
    "Simple as"

The first is way overused. Right now, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I left the kettle too long after it boiled and now I'll have to boil it again to make my coffee.

The last two really make my blood boil. I imagine that people who use them see themselves as being extra forceful. Or something. It doesn't work.

I'm also a bit OCD when it comes to cutlery. When setting the table, knives and forks must be of the same set - not just for me, but for everyone. Mismatches are, however, allowed if there's nothing clean available.

Other than that, I consider myself a well-balanced individual. Coming mother...

Stork

People who sign their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gammygils wrote: »
    People who say Tesco's

There's enough of them

So it would be fair to say there are multiple Tescos?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The next time there's a thread about annoying pronunciations, I'm going to post the following early, in bold: "MOD NOTE: Please indicate emphasised syllables by putting them in bold, or at least in capitals or underline them. Anyone failing to do so will be banned."
    The punishment will be worth the peace of mind.
    I hate when people backseat Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Omackeral wrote: »
    So it would be fair to say there are multiple Tescos?! :D

Multiple Tesco stores/outlets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I hate when people backseat Mod.

I hate when people take everything they read on the internet seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

British TV Chefs when they say "chipotle".

They pronounce it "chio-ot-el" which drives me mad for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Queing for the ATM

And the dozy person in front waits until it's their turn and then scrambles to find their card for aaaaaaaaages

Why weren't you ready?!? :confused:

You were queuing for a few minutes with me, plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

When i go into a stall in a public toilet, say in work, and the lid is down. My first thought is "what the **** is under that lid". But it's the only stall available so you have to lift the lid. You're expecting to see something vile and disgusting. But it's all ok.

Why put me through that fear!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

people and first world problems

get some real ones and come back to me, when you have something to ACTUALLY complain about :rolleyes:

IM0 wrote: »

get some real ones and come back to me, when you have something to ACTUALLY complain about :rolleyes:

Sounds like a bit of a first world problem you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

jkell061 wrote: »
    Highlight what u want to change press shift and f3. Learned that in my final few weeks of college!! :-D
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The clue is in the thread title "TRIVIAL things that annoy you".
    Nobody said they were major things, did they?

Little things about technology and the way it's going. I find it curious that over a century ago the spread of electricity was happening, there were mechanisms whereby flicking a switch meant instant light, now it takes a second for the bulb to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Random women breaking out into song.
    Fuck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Fuck off.

Where would this possibly happen?

Dubhaltach wrote: »
    In Belgium, off peak they have flashing amber which means go slowly with caution. It would be perfect for many places here

There's a road with one of those near me, and it's a disaster. I'm a pedestrian, not a driver, so I don't know what flashing amber is supposed to mean but the drivers clearly don't know either. They take it to mean green anyway, so one minute I'm crossing the road with a clear green man, then all of a sudden the green man starts flashing, the traffic gets flashing amber, and without any warning I'm being beeped at as the drivers try to drive right through me. Basically there's no clear intermediate between stop and go, so the cars try to go while there's still pedestrians in the street, and the pedestrians can't avoid it because there's no warning when the light will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

the inability of some RTE anchors to say Gardai.

also, double posts

also, double posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I've never understood this logic.

Historically, if you look at the problems we used to have, they were a LOT worse than the problems we deal with. But it got better BECAUSE people had problems with it. It was people complaining, getting upset, taking action and making this better that has given us the opportunity to live such awesome lives.

Saying 'Don't complain unless your life is worse than X' is the same as saying 'I think life should only be as good as x'. Things don't get better without people making them better, and complaining is the first step on that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Fuck off.

Are you a character on Glee?

There's a road with one of those near me, and it's a disaster. I'm a pedestrian, not a driver, so I don't know what flashing amber is supposed to mean but the drivers clearly don't know either. They take it to mean green anyway, so one minute I'm crossing the road with a clear green man, then all of a sudden the green man starts flashing, the traffic gets flashing amber, and without any warning I'm being beeped at as the drivers try to drive right through me. Basically there's no clear intermediate between stop and go, so the cars try to go while there's still pedestrians in the street, and the pedestrians can't avoid it because there's no warning when the light will change.

I'm a pedestrian and I know it means that you can go if your path is clear.

The problem is that we have a lot of bad drivers here.

Which leads me to another irritation.

Drivers need to indicate when turning off a roundabout. Just driving off isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Pronunciation:

1) Irish people who say 'aitch' instead of 'haitch' (Eileen Dunne being the main culprit).

2) Irish people who say 'an historic', 'an hotel' etc when it is correctly 'a historic', 'a hotel' etc. (historically in England the 'h' pronunciation was dropped on words of Latin origin beginning with a 'h' and followed by a vowel. This, therefore, gave the start of the word a vowel sound and consequently 'an' was placed before it - but Irish people have always pronounced the 'h' in these words ergo 'an' was never justified).

3) People who say "whilst" because, as with 'an historic' above, they are under the impression that it is more accurate than 'while'. It's not; it's just archaic.

4) The inability of most journalists to realise that Gardaí means policemen - it is not the short-form name for the force. As well as being the nominative singular title for an individual garda, Garda is the short-form of the collective noun An Garda Síochána.

Sources in the Gardaí = x
    Sources in the Garda =

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

The sound of people eating.

I ****ing hate it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement