Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Groups of tourists in Dublin wearing those stupid leprechaun hats from carols shops , usually swinging a bag from the Guinness hop store ,condescending ****holes .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Oops69 wrote: »
    Groups of tourists in Dublin wearing those stupid leprechaun hats from carols shops , usually swinging a bag from the Guinness hop store ,condescending ****holes .

how dare they come over here and bolster our economy by spending their dosh on stuff that Irish people do not need nor want!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

But I really treasure my made in china leprechaun hat , shillelagh, and red beard . I wouldn't be seen dead at the annual leprechaun convention in Ballygotopofthe morningtoye without them !
    These pieces of crap reenforce Irish stereotypes and tourists wearing them insult me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

So trivial I'm almost embarrassed by it, but here goes :D

I have to have my bread on my plate lined up properly, as in the kinks in each slice at the top of the bread have to be lined up with each other.

Two slices out of three were upside down on the plate, and I turned them right side up before I buttered them, lining up the kinks with each other.

I only noticed I do it when my wife asked "Are you for real? Slightly OCD there!" :pac:

I just like order :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

Czarcasm wrote: »

I have to have my bread on my plate lined up properly, as in the kinks in each slice at the top of the bread have to be lined up with each other.

Two slices out of three were upside down on the plate, and I turned them right side up before I buttered them, lining up the kinks with each other.

I only noticed I do it when my wife asked "Are you for real? Slightly OCD there!" :pac:

You might be surprised by the amount of people who do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

My trivial moan o' the day:

I hate it when you do up your shopping list, and think 'nah, I don't need milk, there's a litre there' then go do a big shop, come home, put away your shopping, then put the kettle on to make tea....only to find that said milk has GONE OFF, and you have to traipse back to the shop again for more.

But sure Irish people will do anything for their tay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    My trivial moan o' the day:

I hate it when you do up your shopping list, and think 'nah, I don't need milk, there's a litre there' then go do a big shop, come home, put away your shopping, then put the kettle on to make tea....only to find that said milk has GONE OFF, and you have to traipse back to the shop again for more.

But sure Irish people will do anything for their tay :)

I hate when people open a new milk, instead of finishing the open one (even though its in date).

When people leave butter out of the fridge until it melts. Especially if it's actually dehydrogenated vegetable oil. It's not going to be the same afterwards!

Ugh, and then it's all icky.

And while I'm on the issue, people that are finicky about what they call butter. If you only like to eat real butter, that's fine, it's a matter of taste. If I was offering you a sandwich I'd always list the different spreads I have. But if I mention butter in a sentence and then say "flora" in reference to the same thing, don't bloody go off on one, it's only a f*cking word and it isn't relevant to the conversation at all if the butter is proper butter or another spread. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

3 things really:

1stly Writing a shopping list and then forgetting to bring it with me.

2ndly Greedy kids. I went into a 2 euro shop yesterday to get some fleece pet blankets, although they're selling them for 3 euro in a 2 euro shop:confused: There were 3 young girls of about 10/11, of nomadic brethren, dressed like hoors with the fat falling out of the exposed midriffs. I had to skip ahead of them as I didn't have all day to wait for them to decide if they wanted to split their money on a fake candy blood pack and 3 chocolate bars or just buy 10 crunchy bars:eek:

At that age the only day we'd see 10 bars of chocolate would be Christmas day in a selection box.

3rdly Kids, especially young kids, dressed like hookers, there's time enough for that in their late teens not when they're in primary school:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Oops69 wrote: »
    But I really treasure my made in china leprechaun hat , shillelagh, and red beard . I wouldn't be seen dead at the annual leprechaun convention in Ballygotopofthe morningtoye without them !
    These pieces of crap reenforce Irish stereotypes and tourists wearing them insult me !

Then your problem is with the shops. The tourists don't know any better, they're just doing what tourists do and Irish people can be just as bad for stuff like that abroad.
    And while I'm on the issue, people that are finicky about what they call butter.

I ended up having this discussion a bit recently since moving to Canada. Apparently putting butter on sandwiches is pretty much an Irish/British thing. The only thing you can get here is a big block of hard butter for cooking or "traditional spread" for sandwiches. Tell those grumpy ones to appreciate what they've got!:pac:

Similar to mentioned above, I get pedestrian rage at people who block up footpaths. It drives me crazy when there's a path wide enough for three people but two people want to walk side by side at arms length and block the whole thing up so you have to scoot onto the road to get around them. Even worse is if there's a group of 3 coming toward you and they stay in a triple file formation, not even bothering to just have one person fall back for a second to let you pass. I come up with some really hideous insults in my head every time this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

C14N wrote: »
    Then your problem is with the shops. The tourists don't know any better, they're just doing what tourists do and Irish people can be just as bad for stuff like that abroad.

I ended up having this discussion a bit recently since moving to Canada. Apparently putting butter on sandwiches is pretty much an Irish/British thing. The only thing you can get here is a big block of hard butter for cooking or "traditional spread" for sandwiches. Tell those grumpy ones to appreciate what they've got!:pac:

Similar to mentioned above, I get pedestrian rage at people who block up footpaths. It drives me crazy when there's a path wide enough for three people but two people want to walk side by side at arms length and block the whole thing up so you have to scoot onto the road to get around them. Even worse is if there's a group of 3 coming toward you and they stay in a triple file formation, not even bothering to just have one person fall back for a second to let you pass. I come up with some really hideous insults in my head every time this happens.
    Try and make eye contact with one of them and walk only slightly to the left or right of them. Works most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Czarcasm wrote: »

How did you get three slices of bread on a plate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

OhHiMark wrote: »
    How did you get three slices of bread on a plate?

Stack them on top of each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

3 things really:
    young kids, dressed like hookers, there's time enough for that in their late teens not when they're in primary school:mad:

I believe they are called prostitots or fischer pricetitutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

I hate when people open a new milk, instead of finishing the open one (even though its in date).

Or when people put virtually empty milk cartons back into the fridge. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

"How was your weekend?"/ "Did you get up to much at the weekend?" / "Good weekend?"

It just drives me fuucking mad. Reminds me of school when you'd have to think up 3 things you did at the weekend and then bleat on about them in Irish, French and Spanish in front of the whole class. It's Monday. Nobody wants to be here. If my weekend was good, I dont want to ruin the memory by sharing it with someone who hasn't been a part of it, and if I am recovering, I dont really want to talk about that either. So just fuuck off. I don't care what you did at the weekend, and its none of your business what I did with mine. Respect the Monday morning darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    "How was your weekend?"/ "Did you get up to much at the weekend?" / "Good weekend?"

Mon/Tues - "How was your weekend?"
    Wed/Thurs/Fri - "Any plans for the weekend?"

Bloody office small talk, wish I could stick my headphones in and ignore all around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

maximoose wrote: »

Bloody office small talk, wish I could stick my headphones in and ignore all around me.

I do that quite a bit and I wreck my own head with it.

Poster before you is right. I don't care about anyone else's weekend and they don't care about mine.

maximoose wrote: »

Oh yeah I forgot about the "any plans" one. Equally maddening. The next time someone asks me this I'll tell them my actual plans and watch their mouths drop.

The "Any plans" and "Good weekend?" are close cousins of "How are you?" (emphasis on "you" with a sing-song up and down - "yooo-uuuu") - nobody actually wants to hear how yoooo-uuu are. In fact, some people dont even wait long enough for the answer. They just bark "Hi, how are you?" as they run out of the lift. Next time I think I'll follow up with them via email:
    further to our lift conversation which we did not have time to conclude, I would now like to inform you how I actually am. I've my girlies today so I'm a bit of a fuuckin briar, and bloated too. Couldn't even get my rings on today. Also had a fight with the OH, apparently twice a week is normal after 3 years together oh and I'm really p1ssed about getting out of bed early to make toast and then leaving it behind. Was looking forward to that homemade jam too..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I just drives me fuucking mad. Reminds me of school when you'd have to think up 3 things you did at the weekend and then bleat on about them in Irish, French and Spanish in front of the whole class. It's Monday. Nobody wants to be here. If my weekend was good, I dont want to ruin the memory by sharing it with someone who hasn't been a part of it, and if I am recovering, I dont really want to talk about that either. So just fuuck off. I don't care what you did at the weekend, and its none of your business what I did with mine. Respect the Monday morning darkness.

From “Lessons in Pretending to be part of the Human Race” :
    When someone asks about your weekend, just reply “Grand, and yourself”. Job done. You are, however, running the risk of the other person telling you in excruciating detail about their weekend, but there’s no way around this without being rude.

Your plight does remind me of some people I had the misfortune to meet in the past. A girl that was living in the house I was in when we were students was a bit of a weirdo, but just to prove that there’s someone for everyone, she managed to find a boyfriend, who was also a bit of a weirdo.
    So I arrive back to the house one Sunday night after being down home for the weekend and yer man is there for the first time, sitting on the couch, drinking tea. Grand so far. The girlfriend introduces us to each other, and yer man asks me “How was your weekend?” So remembering what I’d learnt in “Lessons in Pretending to be part of the Human Race” I went “grand, and yourself?”. He proceeded to tell me about his weekend, well Saturday bla-bla-bla, Sunday bla-bla-bla. Ok-aaay.

He then proceeded to bombard me with questions:

· Ah, so you were home, where do you live?
    · Did you head out Saturday night?
    · What did you do on Saturday night?
    · Who were you with?
    · Was it any good?

And so on and so on. It seemed as if he’d been reading “Conversation for Dummies” and had just got to the part “Ask them questions about themselves, people like when you show an interest in them”.

Et toi, Vieuxpassage, qu'est-ce que tu as fait ce week-end? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Oh yeah I forgot about the "any plans" one. Equally maddening. The next time someone asks me this I'll tell them my actual plans and watch their mouths drop.

The "Any plans" and "Good weekend?" are close cousins of "How are you?" (emphasis on "you" with a sing-song up and down - "yooo-uuuu") - nobody actually wants to hear how yoooo-uuu are. In fact, some people dont even wait long enough for the answer. They just bark "Hi, how are you?" as they run out of the lift. Next time I think I'll follow up with them via email:
    further to our lift conversation which we did not have time to conclude, I would now like to inform you how I actually am. I've my girlies today so I'm a bit of a fuuckin briar, and bloated too. Couldn't even get my rings on today. Also had a fight with the OH, apparently twice a week is normal after 3 years together oh and I'm really p1ssed about getting out of bed early to make toast and then leaving it behind. Was looking forward to that homemade jam too..."

Haha very good. Too f**king true too.

The one that annoys me and makes me laugh as well as re enforcing your point above about people not really caring how you are is the call that starts:

First Person: Hey, how are you?
    Second Person: Yeah, I'm not too bad. Bit tired. How are you?
    First Person: Yeah, I'm good. How are you?

F**king "how are you tennis" does my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

We only clean the toilet once every two weeks. I suppose it depends on your diet.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Haha very good. Too f**king true too.

The one that annoys me and makes me laugh as well as re enforcing your point above about people not really caring how you are is the call that starts:

First Person: Hey, how are you?
    Second Person: Yeah, I'm not too bad. Bit tired. How are you?
    First Person: Yeah, I'm good. How are you?

F**king "how are you tennis" does my head.

I have a friend like that. In person he's the sweetest guy and would do anything for you, but on the phone he's unbelievable. I could spend ten mnutes telling him about some really bad things that have just happened and he'll listen and make encouraging mmmhmm sounds...and then when you're finished he'll say, "yeah so I've no real news myself." :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Sure my weekend was just GRAAAND. :D

But I digress back to the thread topic.

Ordered and got a pint o' guiness on Arthur's day just gone.
    Was'nt wished happy arthurs day and there was no countdown to 1759 either. :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Garzard wrote: »
    Or when people put virtually empty milk cartons back into the fridge. :mad:

Applies to OJ as well. Just finish the damn thing, instead of trying to pretend you are not a greedy ba$tard :D

Lucena wrote: »
    From “Lessons in Pretending to be part of the Human Race” :
    When someone asks about your weekend, just reply “Grand, and yourself”. Job done. You are, however, running the risk of the other person telling you in excruciating detail about their weekend, but there’s no way around this without being rude.

Your plight does remind me of some people I had the misfortune to meet in the past. A girl that was living in the house I was in when we were students was a bit of a weirdo, but just to prove that there’s someone for everyone, she managed to find a boyfriend, who was also a bit of a weirdo.
    So I arrive back to the house one Sunday night after being down home for the weekend and yer man is there for the first time, sitting on the couch, drinking tea. Grand so far. The girlfriend introduces us to each other, and yer man asks me “How was your weekend?” So remembering what I’d learnt in “Lessons in Pretending to be part of the Human Race” I went “grand, and yourself?”. He proceeded to tell me about his weekend, well Saturday bla-bla-bla, Sunday bla-bla-bla. Ok-aaay.

He then proceeded to bombard me with questions:

· Ah, so you were home, where do you live?
    · Did you head out Saturday night?
    · What did you do on Saturday night?
    · Who were you with?
    · Was it any good?

And so on and so on. It seemed as if he’d been reading “Conversation for Dummies” and had just got to the part “Ask them questions about themselves, people like when you show an interest in them”.

Et toi, Vieuxpassage, qu'est-ce que tu as fait ce week-end? :D

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! :mad:

When you're in a queue in the local convenience store and you move up it and then realise that there is a smaller sub-queue branching into an aisle. Then there's that awkard who-is-right moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

People who insist on walking up and down and speaking very loudly on mobiles....as in the look how important I am brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    People who insist on walking up and down and speaking very loudly on mobiles....as in the look how important I am brigade.

People who don't know what an indoor voice is full stop, stop fucking shouting!

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »

Yes, they seem to think "mobile" refers to a mandatory state of being for themselves as opposed to the mobile itself. You can stand still using a mobile...and you wont get shot.

I was nearly run over by this fella in a super smart suit with mega shiny shoes on my way to work this morning. He was just running through the crowd knocking little old ladies off the footpath and talking frantically on his mobile. "Oh my God!", we all said, "the merger is going to get out of the pan! Let him through!" - when I caught up with him, the conversation was actually about how many ballet classes his daughter could get for 200 and odd euro. Bizzare....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement