Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Whats wrong with being silent? Silence is shunned in our noisy society. There is no such thing as a comfortable silence anymore. Everybody feels like they need to fill it. Why? God's sake even ten seconds in the lift and they have to make some fuucking declaration on the weather. And as for canteen chit chat? The "no-bread diet..rumble rumble...oh did you get Mackie D's you're so bold...rumble rumble..." I think some people actually have small talk quotas. They can't sleep until they hit their target. Probably even have little small talk -ometers that click onto their belt and record their bull**** throughout the day too. Congratulations you hit your target. You are now officially a thoroughly average, irritating bint.

I know this will drive someone nuts, but I could not agree more. Its one of the reasons I don't really go to the pub anymore, people will say ****ing ANYTHING rather than sit quiet for minute, then my OH says I was a bit rude cos I don't engage......I mean the type of " you know missus x died" I say " oh, terrible, but I didn't know her" Ah you did, small woman, eight kids, her husband used to work in the post office" , "nope, I didn't know her" " you did of course, she was always at bing0, or was that her sister who never married"

I respond with READ MY ****ING LIPS, I DONT KNOW HER!!!! in my head)

And then even worse, I see young parents, in a park or whatever, ignoring tot in buggy, while rabbitin on (no doubt something very important) on the mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Billy86 wrote: »
    That is head-explosion inducing. Especially when it leads to you being tricked into not getting more milk when you're down the shop, having scanned the fridge and seen it there.

People hwo must have grown up in extremely energy bill-conscious households turning off the oven or other appliances is another - when they never check to
    see that "oh right, there's actually food cooking in there".

Neat freaks who insist on cleaning as you cook (it's a nice gesture, but you're in the way! I'll clean it just before I've got everything cooked thanks) or people who seem to only ever occupy the kitchen when you're trying cooking.

And people who never respect the "I cook, you clean" agreement, because they figure the next person looking to use the cutlery/plate/etc will have to clean it before use anyway.

Kitchens -- the demise of every flatmate relationship. :D

And in every house there's always that one lazy pr1ck who refuses to empty the bins and instead just piles things on top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Dealing with certain elements of administrative staff.
    Every time I go into this one office the staff are all sitting down having a personal conversation and have no time to deal with your urgent matter. Swear to god some people are going to have to be buried standing up to give their asses a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I know this will drive someone nuts, but I could not agree more. Its one of the reasons I don't really go to the pub anymore, people will say ****ing ANYTHING rather than sit quiet for minute, then my OH says I was a bit rude cos I don't engage......I mean the type of " you know missus x died" I say " oh, terrible, but I didn't know her" Ah you did, small woman, eight kids, her husband used to work in the post office" , "nope, I didn't know her" " you did of course, she was always at bing0, or was that her sister who never married"

I respond with READ MY ****ING LIPS, I DONT KNOW HER!!!!

My wife must be leading a double life :pac:

She's the very bloody same, and as many times as I've told her I don't want to hear about her friends on facebook -

"OK, I won't tell you any more so!"

*huff for ten minutes* (Silence, ironically enough! :D)

"... You should see what your brother/sister put up today"...

Ahh bloody hell! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Whats wrong with being silent? Silence is shunned in our noisy society. There is no such thing as a comfortable silence anymore. Everybody feels like they need to fill it. Why? God's sake even ten seconds in the lift and they have to make some fuucking declaration on the weather. And as for canteen chit chat? The "no-bread diet..rumble rumble...oh did you get Mackie D's you're so bold...rumble rumble..." I think some people actually have small talk quotas. They can't sleep until they hit their target. Probably even have little small talk -ometers that click onto their belt and record their bull**** throughout the day too. Congratulations you hit your target. You are now officially a thoroughly average, irritating bint.

I think "anymore" is a bit odd to put in there, that line was said almost verbatim in Pulp Fiction which came out 20 years ago.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a bit of silence. I'm often comfortable in silence myself. And some people aren't that talkative and that doesn't bother me a bit. But there's nothing wrong with trying to talk to co-workers either. If you're so put off by a bit of small talk, you'll end up never talking to anyone. And maybe you don't feel the same way but if I spend 3 months in a place and don't talk to anyone in there for all that time, I end up feeling a bit isolated and crappy.

I view small talk as kind of like the booting up part of a computer. It's not enjoyable but you have to go through it to get to what you want and if you get stuck at it for too long then it's probably best to just leave it alone. Ideally it'll be something like

Person A who doesn't know person B well: "So did you do anything fun at the weekend"
    B: "Well I *blah blah blah* and then I went horse riding"
    A: "Oh really? I love horse riding! blah blah blah" *cue enjoyable 30 minute conversation about shared subject of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

The guy sitting beside me on the train, with his legs spread apart.
    I don't want his leg touching off me. >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

People in the supermarket who park their trolley in narrow passageways that are only one trolley wide so you have to find another way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

C14N wrote: »
    People in the supermarket who park their trolley in narrow passageways that are only one trolley wide so you have to find another way around.

Anytime I have come across that, I would move their trolley so I could walk past it. I can give the evil eyes as good as they can ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The mole on Pres. Obama's left cheek is kinda annoying me right now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I've noticed a vein in my hand when I type. It's getting really annoying, seeing it moving and stuff as my fingers move. It's happening right now. Ugh, my peripheral vision is drawn to it and it just looks abnormally big or something.

I'm getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

C14N wrote: »
    I think "anymore" is a bit odd to put in there, that line was said almost verbatim in Pulp Fiction which came out 20 years ago.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a bit of silence. I'm often comfortable in silence myself. And some people aren't that talkative and that doesn't bother me a bit. But there's nothing wrong with trying to talk to co-workers either. If you're so put off by a bit of small talk, you'll end up never talking to anyone. And maybe you don't feel the same way but if I spend 3 months in a place and don't talk to anyone in there for all that time, I end up feeling a bit isolated and crappy.

I view small talk as kind of like the booting up part of a computer. It's not enjoyable but you have to go through it to get to what you want and if you get stuck at it for too long then it's probably best to just leave it alone. Ideally it'll be something like

Person A who doesn't know person B well: "So did you do anything fun at the weekend"
    B: "Well I *blah blah blah* and then I went horse riding"
    A: "Oh really? I love horse riding! blah blah blah" *cue enjoyable 30 minute conversation about shared subject of interest

I can see the merit in it as an "opening up" tool alright but for me (and I know I'm in the minority), I'm just not that interested in going any further. I dont want to hear about people's grandchildren's teeth falling out or how much weight they've lost in slimming world or what their latest car insurance quote is. I dont want to see them before nine or after five. Smalltalk at the beginning of a friendship or whatever - grand. But the same smalltalk with the same people every day for a thousand days is just too much for me. :pac:

Then again, I dont really like people that much to begin with.

Oh and I'm a little ashamed to admit this but I haven't actually watched Pulp Fiction properly or in its entirety - ever. I have vague memories of bits of it (I remember yer one with the black bob dancing and maybe getting shot)

....shuffles away, having lost all credibility...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

I can see the merit in it as an "opening up" tool alright but for me (and I know I'm in the minority), I'm just not that interested in going any further. I dont want to hear about people's grandchildren's teeth falling out or how much weight they've lost in slimming world or what their latest car insurance quote is. I dont want to see them before nine or after five. Smalltalk at the beginning of a friendship or whatever - grand. But the same smalltalk with the same people every day for a thousand days is just too much for me. :pac:

Then again, I dont really like people that much to begin with.

Oh and I'm a little ashamed to admit this but I haven't actually watched Pulp Fiction properly or in its entirety - ever. I have vague memories of bits of it (I remember yer one with the black bob dancing and maybe getting shot)

....shuffles away, having lost all credibility...

Woman I sit beside has the rather annoying capability of turning any conversation, no matter what the topic is, into a discussion of what her and her kid did last night and/or this morning.

wolfmoon87 wrote: »
    The guy sitting beside me on the train, with his legs spread apart.
    I don't want his leg touching off me. >_<

Newsflash...that aint his leg:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Woman I sit beside has the rather annoying capability of turning any conversation, no matter what the topic is, into a discussion of what her and her kid did last night and/or this morning.

People talking excessively about their kids is extremely annoying.

Peope who do this but about their grandchildren are extra pathetic. And extra annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Peope who do this but about their grandchildren are extra pathetic. And extra annoying.

I can take a bit of it but when it turns into "Wait and I tell you what my little Johnny did. It was so cute and amazing" and the story descends into everyday banality that is neither cute or amazing, I want to kick the person to death. Some people might think that's strong...I don't.

Have a one year old and have had to endure a lot of this sh!t over the last year. A lot of what he does is very special to me but people don't need to hear about it because it means f**k all to them.

People who refer to their children/grandchildren by profession,
    "My eldest daughter, the Nurse" or " my grandson, the solicitor" or even the vague " Brians's eldest, she has a big job in the bank"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People with kids.

I was in a waiting room yesterday, two rows of seats, I was in the front row and there was a father and a son (about 3/4) sitting in the row behind me. The kid comes behind the chair next to me and starts pushing it forward out of his way, rocking it back and forth, and he started to rub my arm while he was standing beside me, in the chairs place. So I'm there, trying to scoot over and not let him stroke my arm and his father can obviously see but didn't even say anything. Be some reaction if I had to slide up along side the child and start stroking him, oh then that's all kinds of wrong.

People with kids.

I was in a waiting room yesterday, two rows of seats, I was in the front row and there was a father and a son (about 3/4) sitting in the row behind me. The kid comes behind the chair next to me and starts pushing it forward out of his way, rocking it back and forth, and he started to rub my arm while he was standing beside me, in the chairs place. So I'm there, trying to scoot over and not let him stroke my arm and his father can obviously see but didn't even say anything. Be some reaction if I had to slide up along side the child and start stroking him, oh then that's all kinds of wrong.

I would just change your heading from People with kids to Assholes with kids, cos a lot of parents (not enough I agree) would not allow this.

People with kids.

"Sorry sir, can you call your child off please?" lol (I actually said that to a guy in the park before)

Hate when you're in the park and some kid comes over and tries to molest your dog. You wouldnt tolerate my dog going over and jumping on your child so why is it ok the other way around. A lot of children dont know how approach a dog properly, they come running over all arms and feet and shrieks. Poor dog fuucking terrified. Then there are the silly parents whose child is not really that interested in the dog, but they bring them over and start saying "look at the bow wow! Can he pet the bow wow?" - I'm backing away going, "bow wow? whatever do you mean? Its a dog" :pac: They get all offended then if you pick the dog up and walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Oh my god. A friend (a girl I used to work with) on Facebook posted earlier tagging herself in a hospital, with her "sick baby". Now she's posted up photos of her one yr old child not a stitch on her top, with an oxygen mask and a big needle. Not just one pic. 5 pics. Whut?! :(

Oh my god. A friend (a girl I used to work with) on Facebook posted earlier tagging herself in a hospital, with her "sick baby". Now she's posted up photos of her one yr old child not a stitch on her top, with an oxygen mask and a big needle. Not just one pic. 5 pics. Whut?! :(

I know someone who did that with her MIL when she was dying. Poor woman looked terrible and there were these photos of the two of them with yer one all beaming and happy for the camera put up on FB. Really bad taste.

on the topic of dogs, I like to take mine to the beach now and again one NEVER craps, and the small dog ALWAYS craps (at beach) and I pick the rabbit sized droppings in blue poo bag (usually have to bring it home cos there are no bins for same. Anyway along comes couple on horseback, and one of the horses takes a dump, at least two feet high, must have weighed in at 10 kilos, I mean there was snow on the top of it...................I offered the guy one of my poo bags, guess what? he declined and rode off with a sneer.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    on the topic of dogs, I like to take mine to the beach now and again one NEVER craps, and the small dog ALWAYS craps (at beach) and I pick the rabbit sized droppings in blue poo bag (usually have to bring it home cos there are no bins for same. Anyway along comes couple on horseback, and one of the horses takes a dump, at least two feet high, must have weighed in at 10 kilos, I mean there was snow on the top of it...................I offered the guy one of my poo bags, guess what? he declined and rode off with a sneer.

Hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Imagine how annoying it is when they're saying it to you about YOUR kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Billy86 wrote: »
    That is head-explosion inducing. Especially when it leads to you being tricked into not getting more milk when you're down the shop, having scanned the fridge and seen it there.

People hwo must have grown up in extremely energy bill-conscious households turning off the oven or other appliances is another - when they never check to
    see that "oh right, there's actually food cooking in there".

Neat freaks who insist on cleaning as you cook (it's a nice gesture, but you're in the way! I'll clean it just before I've got everything cooked thanks) or people who seem to only ever occupy the kitchen when you're trying cooking.

And people who never respect the "I cook, you clean" agreement, because they figure the next person looking to use the cutlery/plate/etc will have to clean it before use anyway.

Kitchens -- the demise of every flatmate relationship. :D

Cleaning while cooking is something I do myself, but for MY cooking, like say I'm frying chicken or cooking pasta or whatever, its there, it's cooking, I 'm chopping veg or preparing something else. I'll chuck out the excess/unused bits and wipe down the counter or chopping board as I go, not leave it in a heap and clean it afterwards. But I'm not gonna leave my dinner sitting there getting cold while I wash pots and stuff used during cooking, that can wait, it'll get done, chill out.

The drop of milk thing, nnnngggg. If I make tea or cereal or whatever and there's a teeeeny drop of milk in the carton, I just drink it and lob the carton away, putting it back in the fridge with an amount of milk you'd barely fill an eyedropper with, grrrr. My mother is a terror for that any time I'm at their place, she uses literally a drop of milk in her tea, almost rendering it pointless as you'd never taste it.

Ive an aunt who does this. Shes like the old woman who lives in a shoe, she only has three kids but she has about 50 odd grandkids and great grand kids and trys to show pics of everyone of them if you give her an inch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Justin Bieber being carried up the great wall of china rather than walking. Words fail me. Hate hate hate hate hate.

I am pie wrote: »
    Justin Bieber being carried up the great wall of china rather than walking. Words fail me. Hate hate hate hate hate.

That's cos he is probably pissed or stoned, the fugly little ucker,. I know you cant really see the wall from space, but you most likely can see his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I am pie wrote: »

I wonder if anyone would mourn him should he suddenly expire... if anything, I reckon the world would rejoice and make it a national holiday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement