Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The way Anne Hathaway used to be stunning and now just...isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PixarSketch

Finding the tv remote sitting on/next to, the tv. The tv remote was specifically designed so as you DO NOT have to get up and go to the tv to change the channel.

Priority boarding......paying for the pleasure to sit on the plane longer, priority disembarking would make more sense surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I rarely drink tea so I don't do this but I don't like the idea of putting a hot teabag in the bin :/

Why not? What's wrong with putting a hot tea bag in the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

yeppydeppy wrote: »

A sensitive bin? Maybe leaving for the butler to take care of....

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Because it would raise the temperature of the bin and I imagine everything sweating in there and bacteria breeding. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

People driving too close to me.

Braking distance, f*ckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Khannie wrote: »
    People driving too close to me.

Braking distance, f*ckers!

Unless you're in a bmw. Then it's ok to drive up everyone's backsides, because you're special.

Assholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,607 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Other people.

You know that radio ad for Kildare Village, where the bint with the phoney American accent tells you about all the ****e you can get in Kildare Village blah blah blah, it make me NOT want to near Kildare, never mind the poxy village. Why do gob****e advertisement companies think we Irish are going to buy something just because the ad has some "American" in it. Do they really think we are that gullible? Like those Budweiser ads, great till you actually taste it and discover why they have the horses, that's where it comes from.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    You know that radio ad for Kildare Village, where the bint with the phoney American accent tells you about all the ****e you can get in Kildare Village blah blah blah, it make me NOT want to near Kildare, never mind the poxy village. Why do gob****e advertisement companies think we Irish are going to buy something just because the ad has some "American" in it. Do they really think we are that gullible? Like those Budweiser ads, great till you actually taste it and discover why they have the horses, that's where it comes from.

Not unlike that annoying yank kid (or fake yank kid) who does the ad for the national aquatic centre...Hi! Milly the frog here! Come on dayn to the naytionul aquaaaadic ceyntre... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"I stroll from Reiss to Coast" - wish she'd stroll off a cliff. I'd drive up there just so I could go on a Grand Theft Auto killing spree in the car park running over people like her...!

Oh, and that O'Brien's Sandwich bar ad "I'll have a kids' meal and a fruit shooofse".

People saying "First world problem" - its relatively new, and the first time I heard it I thought it was brilliant - three days later if I hear anyone else saying it my reaction will be far from trivial! :D

Aglomerado wrote: »
    "I stroll from Reiss to Coast" - wish she'd stroll off a cliff. I'd drive up there just so I could go on a Grand Theft Auto killing spree in the car park running over people like her...!

Oh, and that O'Brien's Sandwich bar ad "I'll have a kids' meal and a fruit shooofse".

They should of had her in the opening scene in Love/Hate.....and shot her and leave that poor ****en cat alone.

moe_duffy wrote: »
    shop workers being skimpy when pulling me an ice cream cone

My Dad and I went in for ice-creams a number of years back. The shop worker sneezed and then started pulling the ice-cream. We handed them back :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People saying "First world problem" - its relatively new, and the first time I heard it I thought it was brilliant - three days later if I hear anyone else saying it my reaction will be far from trivial! :D

That one bugs me too. As does "seems legit", but my personal new most hated phrase is this f*ckin "man up" sh*t. I was in a pub last week and some lad behind me was ordering Tequila, his mate didn't want one, and this c*cksucker must've screeched man up, man up at least ten times. I felt like manning up and headbutting the pr*ck in the face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

"Aerceurtsh.ie", or however way you could spell it to pronounce it phonetically, but the guys accent makes it almost impossible to decipher the fact that he means "Aircourt.ie". The advertisement runs on FM104.

People who don't understand that when you turn off the TV using the TV remote, it doesn't turn off the Sky box, the Freesat, or the Saorview box. It turns off the TV, that's it's job, done. I spent nearly €400 on a Universal Remote that'll turn off all devices at the same time at the press of a button (the OFF button, strangely enough!), but no, my wife says "it's too fiddly!"... Eesh! :(

Czarcasm wrote: »
    "Aerceurtsh.ie", or however way you could spell it to pronounce it phonetically, but the guys accent makes it almost impossible to decipher the fact that he means "Aircourt.ie". The advertisement runs on FM104.

People who don't understand that when you turn off the TV using the TV remote, it doesn't turn off the Sky box, the Freesat, or the Saorview box. It turns off the TV, that's it's job, done. I spent nearly €400 on a Universal Remote that'll turn off all devices at the same time at the press of a button (the OFF button, strangely enough!), but no, my wife says "it's too fiddly!"... Eesh! :(

Ah, I don't have that much stuff, just TV, Skybox and Blueray player. But I got a special adapter for up to 4 plugs and it has a remote control, I think it was 20 quid.

I think I would divorce you if you did that... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

My Dad and I went in for ice-creams a number of years back. The shop worker sneezed and then started pulling the ice-cream. We handed them back :P

I was buting some sliced ham a few yrs ago in Centra, the old lady slicing it (the owner's mother) handled every slice. I took it from her and went about to do some other shopping, left the ham in the fridge.

WTF, go up to the register to pay and she is now there, "so u don't want the ham anymore. I was morto.

Ah, I don't have that much stuff, just TV, Skybox and Blueray player. But I got a special adapter for up to 4 plugs and it has a remote control, I think it was 20 quid.

You should tip into Maplin some day when you get a chance, have a look at some of the home automation stuff. I know the adapter you're talking about alright but the remote I have it wasn't a trivial investment, I know it seems like a lot, but the amount you save on batteries alone (the remote is rechargeable) is worth it. I'm a bit of a gadget freak anyway tbh :o

I think I would divorce you if you did that... :P

It's been mentioned a couple of times alright... "But I bought it for youuu" just doesn't cut it any more... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Finding the tv remote sitting on/next to, the tv. The tv remote was specifically designed so as you DO NOT have to get up and go to the tv to change the channel.

Priority boarding......paying for the pleasure to sit on the plane longer, priority disembarking would make more sense surely.

Try and priority disembark when you're in row 17, your hand luggage is in row 22 and they only open the front door!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

Having your cellphone die with no hope of resuscitation. You are broke for the rest of the month AND the warranty on your phone expired a year ago.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

Last time I actually gave any money to a toilet attendant was at least ten years ago in a dive of a night club in Ashbourne. Washed my hands, gave him a euro, sprayed on some deodorant, went to take some aftershave and he said "That's €2", well f*ck you pal...

Yeah a lot of them can be pr1cks alright. What I hate most about them though is the way they insist on hijacking space in already miniscule bathrooms - never understood why they can't set up their crap outside the toilets?? Nobody wants them there in the first place, pain in the arse on a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

You should tip into Maplin some day when you get a chance, have a look at some of the home automation stuff. I know the adapter you're talking about alright but the remote I have it wasn't a trivial investment, I know it seems like a lot, but the amount you save on batteries alone (the remote is rechargeable) is worth it. I'm a bit of a gadget freak anyway tbh :o

It's been mentioned a couple of times alright... "But I bought it for youuu" just doesn't cut it any more... :pac:

We just put a socket in that cuts power to all television, skybox, dvd etc.;) I know that you still have to walk to the socket to switch it off:o but I don't think I could justify 400 euro on a remote.

cofy wrote: »
    We just put a socket in that cuts power to all television, skybox, dvd etc.;) I know that you still have to walk to the socket to switch it off:o but I don't think I could justify 400 euro on a remote.

Ohh yeah, that reminds me -

My wife used plug out everything at night too, and I mean, it used take me about ten minutes in the morning to plug everything back in again and boot it all up - Set top boxes, laptops, desktops, routers, tv's, set the timer again on the DVD recorder (God that used annoy me), the Hi-Fi...

That's one of the reasons I bought the remote as a birthday present for myself, you hook it up to the laptop, program in all your devices, and say you want to watch tv, it'll turn on the Sky box and set the tv to the correct input. If you want to play xbox, it'll turn off the Sky box, turn on the xbox and set the tv to the correct input.

If you want to do the whole light settings on/ off / dimmed, well, you can do that too -

(His accents a bit funky but you get the idea)

I got it about three years ago, but nowadays if you have a smartphone (as most people do), you can download an app and pretty much automate your home with all the fittings and switches for less than €100!

Sorry for going on about it, my wife tells me to shut up too, complete technophobe :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

Ohh yeah, that reminds me -

My wife used plug out everything at night too, and I mean, it used take me about ten minutes in the morning to plug everything back in again and boot it all up - Set top boxes, laptops, desktops, routers, tv's, set the timer again on the DVD recorder (God that used annoy me), the Hi-Fi...

That's one of the reasons I bought the remote as a birthday present for myself, you hook it up to the laptop, program in all your devices, and say you want to watch tv, it'll turn on the Sky box and set the tv to the correct input. If you want to play xbox, it'll turn off the Sky box, turn on the xbox and set the tv to the correct input.

If you want to do the whole light settings on/ off / dimmed, well, you can do that too -

(His accents a bit funky but you get the idea)

I got it about three years ago, but nowadays if you have a smartphone (as most people do), you can download an app and pretty much automate your home with all the fittings and switches for less than €100!

Sorry for going on about it, my wife tells me to shut up too, complete technophobe :o

Such passion! :D
    WANT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

When I forget which way I put toothpaste on the toothbrush and stand there looking at the situation for 30 seconds trying to figure it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    When I forget which way I put toothpaste on the toothbrush and stand there looking at the situation for 30 seconds trying to figure it out!

How many ways are there to put toothpaste on a toothbrush?
    Is there a right way and a wrong way?

Penneys throw-away trousers -

One wear and you throw them away, but try get two wears out of them? Ohh no, that's never gonna fly round here, look at that litter on the path, bend down and pick it up why don't you, what's the worst that could happen?

At least they're only ripped along the inside seam, but I don't think anyone would appreciate a semi-clad man walking around Penneys looking for a pair of trousers :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not fiddly eh? Here's a review

. Navigating through the software is not very intuitive and the manual isn't very comprehensive. For example, there is a Device List and an Activities setup, each with several choices. Some items are listed under Activities that logically should be under Devices and vice versa. Even the tech agreed on this point- he said the software was "dumbed down" so the unsophisticated computer user could operate it. Paradoxically, simplifying it actually makes it more difficult to use.
    3. The software uses a wizard, "linear" approach as opposed to a "drill down" approach used by most software. This is fine for initial setup, but to make changes, you must find the point in the wizard that guides you through the modifications you want to make. This can become tedious.

On the good side:
    1. Once operational, the remote performs flawlessly. I don't even need the remote extender.

Wtf is a remote extender. 400 quid on a remote Lol so crazy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement