Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Autosport wrote: »
    People who don't use manners, won't kill you to say Thanks or Please

Especially checkout assistants. The lot in my local Dunnes are the worst... There is one and when you hand her your keys (with your clubcard) she just about slams them back down and never back in your hand. Never says thanks.

Another plus point for Aldi and Lidl... They are always polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

If I knew how, I probably would :pac:

I thought my sense of humour would have given it away....Though I was on a hen party last week and all the girls said I had a very "male" sense of humour. I could be a woman trapped in a mans body? Or a man in womans body, or maybe confused...........or taking the piss:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I thought my sense of humour would have given it away....Though I was on a hen party last week and all the girls said I had a very "male" sense of humour. I could be a woman trapped in a mans body? Or a man in womans body, or maybe confused...........or taking the piss:)

Yeps, I would have leaned towards woman. It was just the tayto comment that threw me. Let's just move on now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

gramar wrote: »
    That would be a conditional tense! It's the second conditional.

Trivial thing that annoyed me just now: I had "conditional" in my original post and then when I googled it, someone said "subjunctive" so, thinking "Google is never wrong", I changed it and then another poster on OP told me that "subjunctive" is in fact, the right word to use. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Trivial thing that annoyed me just now: I had "conditional" in my original post and then when I googled it, someone said "subjunctive" so, thinking "Google is never wrong", I changed it and then another poster on OP told me that "subjunctive" is in fact, the right word to use. :(

Definitely a conditional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

Other things that grind my gears....

Cleaning of the public toilets in shopping centres only takes place when I need to use one.

Taxi's always arrive late when I have to be somewhere important by a certain time. And they always turn up early when I could take all day getting there.

Courier companies who never phone me and let me know when they are calling round.

Employers who won't even acknowledge your CV or job application with a one line email telling you they received it.

Talking bin lorries, vehicle is now reversing, vehicle is now reversing, vehicle is now reversing... I don't want to hear that at 6am on a Monday morning.

Roaming charges in the border counties.... fook sake, Dick Turpin is alive and well and he works for 3, Vodaphone, Meteor, O2 and their ilk. Handy work if you can get it.

Shop assistants who are only now allowed to say, cash or card..... that's it, that's all they are allowed to say to customers now.

People who have no idea where they are going. Here's the scenario. You're walking behind someone on the street (no, not stalking them), and all of a sudden they just stop without warning, you almost walk into them, and they turn round and look at you with a expression of indignation on their face, wondering why you walked into them.

gramar wrote: »
    Definitely a conditional.

Oh no...wait...I meant to say that google said it was subjunctive and I changed it to subjunctive and then another poster said it is conditional (which is what I started with!) - breathes deeply and tries not implode from the stress of it all :rolleyes: :pac:

This might belong in the yet to be born "trivial things that you are paranoid about" thread but it annoys me so here it is: the way people working in "all you can eat" buffets make you feel like you are being a pig and stand there watching you try to choose your food, making for a generally squirmy and awkward experience. Dothey receive some kind of special training in how to make people feel uncomfortable?

Oh no...wait...I meant to say that google said it was subjunctive and I changed it to subjunctive and then another poster said it is conditional (which is what I started with!) - breathes deeply and tries not implode from the stress of it all :rolleyes: :pac:

My brain is starting to hurt. I am gonna settle this. It is conditional, for sure, I promise - in actual fact, I haven't a buckin clue:pac:

This might belong in the yet to be born "trivial things that you are paranoid about" thread but it annoys me so here it is: the way people working in "all you can eat" buffets make you feel like you are being a pig and stand there watching you try to choose your food, making for a generally squirmy and awkward experience. Dothey receive some kind of special training in how to make people feel uncomfortabel?

Does the fridge light really go out when you close the door? Do people in Glockamorra ( or however it is spelled) give a ****e how things are here?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

This might belong in the yet to be born "trivial things that you are paranoid about" thread but it annoys me so here it is: the way people working in "all you can eat" buffets make you feel like you are being a pig and stand there watching you try to choose your food, making for a generally squirmy and awkward experience. Dothey receive some kind of special training in how to make people feel uncomfortabel?

Name the time and place and I will be there. They will regret the day they made that sign.

Oh just remembered one: When you are standing on a luas or waiting for a bus or something and calling someone on the phone. So, they answer and you say, "hiya". Cue everyone in the vicinity turning around thinking you were greeting them :mad: It's so annoying and I dont know why!

Shop assistants not saying "you can take your card now" until a few seconds after the terminal says "remove your card". Also, telling you to enter your pin a few seconds before the terminal says "enter your pin". I was behind a guy in the shop a short while ago and he was buying something with his card. The usual, store assistant says "enter your pin" and I looked everywhere except at the hand held device (anyone else have that inexplicable need to go out of their way to show they are not pin peeping?!) and anyway this goes on for a while so I looked out of the corner of my eye and he was entering a 4 digit pin and then not pressing enter. So it wasn't goiing through, and then the store assistant would say, "try again" and he'd do it again but because he hadnt cleared the first attempt, it then became an 8 digit pin. Then he figured out he had to press enter but he pressed enter on the 8 digit number. There all fuuckin night we were. And I felt like I couldnt say anything to him for fear of being accused of pin peeping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galstar

I'm convinced if you really want to know how braindead and annoying some people can be then just watch them navigate an airport... I fly through Dublin twice a week and some of the thing i've seen recently make me wonder how some people get dressed in the morning..

1) Man walks into the family lane in security with extra wide space, a picture of a buggy and a sign that says families only

Security Guard: Excuse me sir, can you use the other lane? This one's meant for families and wheelchairs only.

Man: But i have a family

SG: I'm sorry sir, are they already at the bag check

Man: No they're in Galway

Seems funny but when you have 30 minutes to catch a flight and need to negotiate a minefield of these types twice a week it really becomes annoying..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

Yet more stuff that grinds my gears....

Shop assistants who say, 'let me take your phone number and when the item comes in, we will contact you'..... they never fookin contact me. I usually have to phone up a week later wondering why they never phoned and the person who took my phone number is now on holidays or off sick and this new person has no idea what I'm talking about.... back to square one again.

Snooty stuck up staff who look you up and down when you go into a restaurant in a posh hotel to book a table for two for a friday or saturday night.... just remember, we're the ones keeping the hotel open and you in employment, you ungrateful wee s***e.

Anyone wearing a hi - viz vest.

Women who wear next to nothing while out running or cycling when it's 5 degrees outside and yet complain when the heat isn't turned up to match the temperature of the surface of the sun when they are indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Galstar wrote: »
    I'm convinced if you really want to know how braindead and annoying some people can be then just watch them navigate an airport... I fly through Dublin twice a week and some of the thing i've seen recently make me wonder how some people get dressed in the morning..

1) Man walks into the family lane in security with extra wide space, a picture of a buggy and a sign that says families only

Security Guard: Excuse me sir, can you use the other lane? This one's meant for families and wheelchairs only.

Man: But i have a family

SG: I'm sorry sir, are they already at the bag check

Man: No they're in Galway

Seems funny but when you have 30 minutes to catch a flight and need to negotiate a minefield of these types twice a week it really becomes annoying..

On a flight a week or so ago and there was a stack of those crates to put your items into when going through security. Take one and find a spot at the table but one fella was putting all of his stuff into the top crate so no-one else could take one.

No word of a lie the same fella was ahead of me a few days later on the return flight and collecting his stuff from the crate while it was on the rollers meaning everyone else was backed up waiting for him to finish.

Some people are just completely f/*king oblivious to what goes on around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

This really bothers me. I say please and thank you for every single thing. I don't know why people don't

Although I have been told that I sound really disingenuous when I say thank you so maybe I shouldn't bother :L
    My boss drills it into us to say hello, thank you etc. Grand so. Was dealing with two ladies, job done, they leave. Boss is outside having a smoke, and he's not usually with customers so they don't know it's his shop.
    He comes back in, straight faced, the ladies that just left were complaining about the service. I'm flabbergasted cause they were elderly and I went out of my way to make sure they were well taken care of.
    Their complaint? "Sometimes the staff in there are just too nice." Both of us had a good laugh about it. You really can't win with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The fact that its 7pm on a mid October school night and the ice cream man is blaring his music outside my house. If I had children I'd probably kill him!

Too cold and too late in the evening for it, they shouldn't be allowed blast their music after a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    The fact that its 7pm on a mid October school night and the ice cream man is blaring his music outside my house. If I had children I'd probably kill him!

Too cold and too late in the evening for it, they shouldn't be allowed blast their music after a certain time.

Don't you know that they only play music when they are sold out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

When you sit in to the car and hear the rattle of all the change in your pocket make a run for every awkward place under your seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Snooty stuck up staff who look you up and down when you go into a restaurant in a posh hotel to book a table for two for a friday or saturday night.... just remember, we're the ones keeping the hotel open and you in employment, you ungrateful wee s***e..
    Yes. I had a booking for a falconry session attached to a hotel before and I hadn't been before, so I went into the hotel and asked where exactly the centre was. Looked at me like I was dirt! 'you have to have an appt first.'
    of course I have an appt you snooty cow I didn't wander down here for the craic ffs
    looked shocked when I said I did have one and repeated my question

When the bus spends more time letting people on and off than actually moving.

When a bus flies past you because its "full" even though there are seats upstairs.

When people "bottleneck" the space near the driver...even after people have alighted.

When someone sits beside you even though there are other seats, and you are getting off at the next stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

When a bus flies past you because its "full" even though there are seats upstairs.

When people "bottleneck" the space near the driver...even after people have alighted.

When someone sits beside you even though there are other seats, and you are getting off at the next stop.

I'm getting you a bus inspectors badge for christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Walking along the footpath and I'm on the left hand side of the path. Someone coming towards me, but they are also on the left side of the path (from their perspective) so we have plenty of room to pass each other.

Grand, I foolishly think.

For some unknown reason the person starts veering over onto my side of the path so that one of us has to move again - the whole time with a strange look on their face as if they actually believe they are being courteous.

What the fúck is that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭maalummoja

Food Shopping

When waiting in a Q can anybody tell me why women stand looking at the cashier while they are scanning all the items and then when told the total amount only then they will search the handbag for their purse. Eventually when its found and exact change is handed over the then must place everything back into its correct place while every behind her is left waiting.
    Then they start to pack the bags/trolley to delay us further. Drives me mad.
    Its the same woman who never thanks anybody for holding a door open and would never hold it open for anybody else.
    A good few years back at the Moore st entrance of the Ilac centre I encountered once such c***. As it happens she was walking behind me as I was leaving the Moore st exit so when holding the door I released it just as she was exiting .... Bang in the face. felt great
    have some manners women

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

People with the tap tap tap thing turned on on their phone. AINT NOBODY WANT TO LISTEN TO THAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

maalummoja wrote: »
    Its the same woman who never thanks anybody for holding a door open and would never hold it open for anybody else.
    A good few years back at the Moore st entrance of the Ilac centre I encountered once such c***. As it happens she was walking behind me as I was leaving the Moore st exit so when holding the door I released it just as she was exiting .... Bang in the face. felt great
    have some manners women

I'm confused, which of you was the cnut again?

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I'm getting you a bus inspectors badge for christmas :D

My dream job :pac:

"You there, sneezing in the corner? Leave. Yo smelly, mouldy aul wan - yes you with the really tight sandal straps and the flight sock - on yer bike. Hey smart ars* over there - yeah you looking at everyone as they get on - off with ya (fuucking pervert). Oh and all you annoying, willfully blind twats up there at the top of the bus, causing a congestion...go with him. Actually, you know what, lets just evacuate this peasant wagon - ye'r all a bunch of annoying b*lloxes - fuuck off and walk"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :):):):):)

Told yis before, get a pair of handcuffs from a joke shop, and attach one side to your wrist, leave the other dangling.......nobody ever sits beside you:cool:

• Advertisement

My dream job :pac:

"You there, sneezing in the corner? Leave. Yo smelly, mouldy aul wan - yes you with the really tight sandal straps and the flight sock - on yer bike. Hey smart ars* over there - yeah you looking at everyone as they get on - off with ya (fuucking pervert). Oh and all you annoying, willfully blind twats up there at the top of the bus, causing a congestion...go with him. Actually, you know what, lets just evacuate this peasant wagon - ye'r all a bunch of annoying b*lloxes - fuuck off and walk"

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :):):):):)

Just cut the **** and take a flame thrower to the fuucking thing:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement