Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Political correctness bugs me. Why are so many things jumped on as racist, sexist or bigoted when they aren't intended to be. Why is it that if you say you don't like someone, the first thing that happens is that you may be labelled one of the above if they aren't white, catholic and Irish?

My mother had me in stitches the other day chatting about black cats she had as a child, we recently rescued a black cat so that's what brought the subject up. Anyway she remembered 1 was called Gollywog, another was called Blackie and a 3rd called ni***r. My mum is 61 and for her generation those were just names.

I hate having to censor myself before saying something in case someone pounces on me with their one size fits all pc crap.

Indeed. So many people "taking offence" left, right and centre. Guess what - just because something offends you doesn't mean I dont have the right to say it. Take your namby pamby spineless self elsewhere ye whinge bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

People (usually woman) . Who stop at a roundabout when there is no traffic on the roundabout. Anywhere. FOOLS!!!!!!

Oh. And woman with a moustache. Dirt birds

DeanAustin wrote: »
    One of the funniest stories I heard about political correctness from a mate was a conversation he had with his missus:

Mate: Look at those black people over there.
    Missus: You can't call them black. That's racist.
    Mate: Well what the f**k should I call them?
    Missus: They're African Americans.

Not trivial or annoying but reminded me, my Dad's friend was at his grand-daughters school play and she was talking about one of her friends and when he asked which one she was, the girl pointed to another one and said, "that one over there with the pink dress". He said it was so refreshing to see her identify her by what she was wearing. The thought of saying, "that black girl over there" didnt even occur to her. Her dress colour was a more natural distinguishing element to use to identify her.

brokenarms wrote: »
    People (usually woman) . Who stop at a roundabout when there is no traffic on the roundabout. Anywhere. FOOLS!!!!!!

Guilty as charged :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Ha Ha , anytime Political Correctness comes up I always think of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

The people (men or woman) who didn't stop at the roundabout, because they didn't see the car that was coming. Usually recognised by the manky big dent in the right hand side of their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

DeanAustin wrote: »
    One of the funniest stories I heard about political correctness from a mate was a conversation he had with his missus:

Mate: Look at those black people over there.
    Missus: You can't call them black. That's racist.
    Mate: Well what the f**k should I call them?
    Missus: They're African Americans.

"Whatever. I was just going to say yer one has a fine Jewish rudder on her for a wan that colour!". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    The people (men or woman) who didn't stop at the roundabout, because they didn't see the car that was coming. Usually recognised by the manky big dent in the right hand side of their car.

Its not a STOP junction and should be approached in 2nd gear or 1st. People who listened to their driving instructor would know this .

People who stopped at an empty roundabout could fail a driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

People who speed up when they come to traffic lights, it's been on amber for a few seconds and if they can put the boot down just enough, they can slip by before it changes to red. Sorry for holding you up for 1 and 1/2 minutes.

No napkins being available in restaurants. Or worse still,not being offered an napkin.

Soccer pundits. Remember what I said earlier about ego's being the size of Mount Fookin Everest.... I don't want to know what you think about the game or the manager or players, keep it to yourself.

Z list celebrities.... just sad and pathetic really.

TV chefs, see Soccer pundits above.

People who take up two parking spaces in the car park outside dunnes or tesco on a saturday morning.... you know who you are. It's not a 747 you're parking, it's a family freakin car.

Martin King.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

People who speed up when they come to traffic lights, it's been on amber for a few seconds and if they can put the boot down just enough, they can slip by before it changes to red. Sorry for holding you up for 1 and 1/2 minutes.

No napkins being available in restaurants. Or worse still,not being offered an napkin.

Soccer pundits. Remember what I said earlier about ego's being the size of Mount Fookin Everest.... I don't want to know what you think about the game or the manager or players, keep it to yourself.

Z list celebrities.... just sad and pathetic really.

TV chefs, see Soccer pundits above.

People who take up two parking spaces in the car park outside dunnes or tesco on a saturday morning.... you know who you are. It's not a 747 you're parking, it's a family freakin car.

Martin King.

People who do this anywhere. The height of f**king ignorance. There is a nice box there, park the f**k in it. If you're not able, then you shouldn't be f**king driving.

Seeing this in a car park that's full really makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I have a backpack. I carry my gym gear, my lunch and my book in it (among other things). Total walk time between front door and office is 30 minutes. What do you think I should be using? A plastic bag? Some spiffy over the shoulder leather jobbie?

I read somewhere that whales foreskin was a highly prized item in days of yore. Fishermen made all sorts of aprons, coats and bags out of it, perhaps a backpack of sorts could be made.................though I am sure it would have its drawbacks:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I read somewhere that whales foreskin was a highly prized item in days of yore. Fishermen made all sorts of aprons, coats and bags out of it, perhaps a backpack of sorts could be made.................though I am sure it would have its drawbacks:cool:

Reckon. Give it a few rubs and you'd have a four-man tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

This:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057062018

Every god damn year they say the same thing !

jimgoose wrote: »
    Reckon. Give it a few rubs and you'd have a four-man tent.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Overflow wrote: »
    This:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057062018

Every god damn year they say the same thing !
    My husband is already all excited about Christmas. I know it's early but I'm not enthused about it this year. Be a cheap and cheerful one as well this year, but I'm not bothered about that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

My husband is already all excited about Christmas. I know it's early but I'm not enthused about it this year. Be a cheap and cheerful one as well this year, but I'm not bothered about that:)

This is the first year myself and the OH are really setting aside especially for xmas. Normally we do the last minute chaotic rush and end up broke by new years. Got a nice little nest egg away for it this year and will be doing some shopping in Dub late November to get it out of the way. Then I'm gonna sit back and soak up the Holiday season! nothing wrong with a bit of foresight. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

elfy4eva wrote: »
    This is the first year myself and the OH are really setting aside especially for xmas. Normally we do the last minute chaotic rush and end up broke by new years. Got a nice little nest egg away for it this year and will be doing some shopping in Dub late November to get it out of the way. Then I'm gonna sit back and soak up the Holiday season! nothing wrong with a bit of foresight. :D
    We're just being tight really. We're saving for a holiday in Rome next year for our 10th Wedding anniversary and just want to avoid the whole gift fest thing. We'll send a magnum of Champagne to his family(cheaper than buying 8 gifts) as they all get together on Christmas day, don't know what I'm doing about my parents and brother and the only presents we'll buy are for my husband's nieces' 3 year old. His birthday is also christmas week. I think people feel relieved when you tell them you aren't buying presents, as it saves them a few quid as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

We're just being tight really. We're saving for a holiday in Rome next year for our 10th Wedding anniversary and just want to avoid the whole gift fest thing. We'll send a magnum of Champagne to his family(cheaper than buying 8 gifts) as they all get together on Christmas day, don't know what I'm doing about my parents and brother and the only presents we'll buy are for my husband's nieces' 3 year old. His birthday is also christmas week. I think people feel relieved when you tell them you aren't buying presents, as it saves them a few quid as well.

You got that right me and the siblings are doing a Kris Kringle (or whatever its called) thats gona make things a lot easier!!

Irish people, who when making a reference to the monarchy in the UK, will refer to them as THE Queen. I mean we would never say The King, and leave it at that when referring to the King of Spain say, or king/queen of Holland or Sweden etc.

Same as us. We're just doing small presents. But we all agree if we have a tree with beautiful decorations, a nice dinner and a couple of bottles of wine to share with each other in front of the fire...thats magic. There are so many people who dont get even that. Days of materialism are definitely gone, gone, gone and its weirdly satisfying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Irish people, who when making a reference to the monarchy in the UK, will refer to them as THE Queen. I mean we would never say The King, and leave it at that when referring to the King of Spain say, or king/queen of Holland or Sweden etc.

I call her Mrs. Windsor ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

. I mean we would never say The King

... Unless referring to Elvis. :pac:

I call her Mrs. Windsor ;)

I'd say the only time you were close to her was to lick the back of her head:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Her head's bounced around close to my balls a few times too :D

Aglomerado wrote: »
    ... Unless referring to Elvis. :pac:

Or Groucho Marx:p

Her head's bounced around close to my balls a few times too :D

That explains the Tiara marks on yer belly:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

That explains the Tiara marks on yer belly:eek:

:eek:

Ow. Pointy.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

The reasonably good music played in Tesco sung by second rate singer who, frankly, would be boo'd off the stage at karaoke in their local pub :mad:

The cost of filling my Porsche with petrol these days.......

And does anyone know the best place to buy a mink for the OH's Xmas pressie ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭canadianwoman

And does anyone know the best place to buy a mink for the OH's Xmas pressie ?

http://sydneyvard.goldenpages.ie/ :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement