Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

People that pepper a conversation with the word "like," especially seppos. "I was like and he was like..." "My mom is like 53...." So is she 53 or like 53 so does that make her 52 or 54?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Are you a bus driver? It's only in this country (correct me if I'm wrong that we do that). I've lived and worked abroad and I've never heard people getting off a bus thanking the driver. We don't go into the cockpit of an airplane one by one and thank the pilot for getting the plane down safely? Or we don't go onto the bridge of a ship and thank the captain for doing such a wonderful job of steering the ship in the right direction?:D

What's wrong with thanking someone for providing a service? Would you thank a plumber after he's finished fixing your pipes or do you only thank people when you don't have to pay them?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

If I get a bus I always make a point of thanking the driver. To me it is just common courtesy.
    We don't go into the cockpit of an airplane one by one and thank the pilot for getting the plane down safely?

But as we disembark the cabin crew say thank you and I too say thank you also.
    I've lived and worked abroad and I've never heard people getting off a bus thanking the driver.

In my time in Thailand not a bus as we know it per se but a song-tau (converted pick-up truck) and as each person got off and paid the driver, most would thank the driver as they had manners and so would I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

People that pepper a conversation with the word "like," especially seppos. "I was like and he was like..." "My mom is like 53...." So is she 53 or like 53 so does that make her 52 or 54?

like 53 could be 35...

another thing there is the use of mom. Since when to Irish people call their mother mom? it's ma, mother, mammy,mum, mam, auld wan and mummy if you're very posh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What is "Friend?"
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    It's clearly "Friends" with a typo - but you know...best comeback ever...I swear... :rolleyes:
    Paddy if youd like to show us what you do find funny, wed all love to hear.

Your like a rainy day.
    Please get your grammar in order when you address me. :rolleyes:

Well, apparently it's typos and grammar mistakes that really do it for him. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

keano2012 wrote: »
    Ya and listen to Townsend and Clive tyldsley!! Just knew when lewandowski scored they would bring that elbow back up again....bitter bastard!

It be better with Alan Partridge Commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

#] Or we don't go onto the bridge of a ship and thank the captain for doing such a wonderful job of steering the ship in the right direction?:D

You would if you were on a cruise ship off the Italian coast:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

When my zippo lighter runs out of fluid! :(

Went in this morning to a newsagent and asked for my usual pack of smokes a lighter, then I asked her how much the lighters were - €1.65! :eek:

"Jesus no thanks, can I have a box of matches instead please?"

"30 cents" :eek: :eek:

I mean, I know inflation and all, but hasn't the Celtic Tiger piñata been kicked to death already! :confused:

My first time in the USA, getting on a bus and didn't know the fare or procedure, which I later found out was to put exact amount in a slot and driver than issues a ticket. I tried to hand the money to the driver....She cracks up, screams at me "do I look like a X$*&ing vending machine (I am thinking "no, you look like a big fat mad bitch, but kept that one to myself ) PUT THE MONEY IN THE SLOT!

I did not thank her........................But I think she works in customer services for Bus Eireann now

Czarcasm wrote: »
    When my zippo lighter runs out of fluid! :(

Went in this morning to a newsagent and asked for my usual pack of smokes a lighter, then I asked her how much the lighters were - €1.65! :eek:

"Jesus no thanks, can I have a box of matches instead please?"

"30 cents" :eek: :eek:

I mean, I know inflation and all, but hasn't the Celtic Tiger piñata been kicked

to death already! :confused:

Not to mention the 10 quid plus for the cigs ( Very smug ex smoker here;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Czarcasm wrote: »
    When my zippo lighter runs out of fluid!...

I use a Zippo as well - it is very old and battered at this stage, like myself. What boils my piss completely is that I have to traipse into a sporting goods shop in the city-centre to get lighter fluid because virtually no-one sells it anymore. I'm told that this is due to dumbass youngfellas getting their hands on it in order to do some mischief or other. Now that's an Irish Solution(TM). :mad:

A new bus one: the bus is jammers and you figure, sure I'll go upstairs and leave these sheep here, knowing there are likely seats up there and then some pleb who is getting off at the next stop (that we are still nowhere near) goes and stands right at the bottom of the stairs so you can't get up :D wtf? Would you stand in front of an escalator? Closely followed by leaving your top deck seat and walking towards the top of the stairs and whoever has just come up, rather than doing the sensible thing and walking towards the front window to allow you to pass and then taking your seat, comes trundling down the aisle anyway...even though two people cannot pass each other on it! Also, the hysterical "I'm going to miss my stop" carry on. People jumping up and blocking others miles before they get off. Hello, the bus is full. There will be 17,000 people getting off with you. You'll make it. Often the person sitting on my inside does this - starts foostering and zipping way too early and then practically climbs over my head to get out on time...I take great pleasure in getting off behind them and then sailing by them on the street :D

^ realises she needs professional help.... :/

Like the gob****es on a (usually) Ryanair flight, who start getting their **** together at 20000 feet!! I mean you are not even touching tarmac for at least 15 mins, and then add another 15 before doors even open.

A new bus one: the bus is jammers and you figure, sure I'll go upstairs and leave these sheep here, knowing there are likely seats up there and then some pleb who is getting off at the next stop (that we are still nowhere near) goes and stands right at the bottom of the stairs so you can't get up :D wtf? Would you stand in front of an escalator? Closely followed by leaving your top deck seat and walking towards the top of the stairs and whoever has just come up, rather than doing the sensible thing and walking towards the front window to allow you to pass and then taking your seat, comes trundling down the aisle anyway...even though two people cannot pass each other on it! Also, the hysterical "I'm going to miss my stop" carry on. People jumping up and blocking others miles before they get off. Hello, the bus is full. There will be 17,000 people getting off with you. You'll make it. Often the person sitting on my inside does this - starts foostering and zipping way too early and then practically climbs over my head to get out on time...I take great pleasure in getting off behind them and then sailing by them on the street :D

God I miss public transport...........

Reading this, I realised it sounds very smuggy, what I meant was I still have to use it when Jeeves takes a day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

I think you should see whether your employer would be willing to let you work flexi hours. The stress of the bus seems to be too much. Maybe go to your gp with a history of your bus posts and say it is for your mental health :D

Oops69 wrote: »
    Nose piercings , I'm gonna gag thinking about congealed snot on their inner surface , can't bear to look at them ! And people go for interviews with them in as well !

Please don't mention prince Alberts in replies !

Speaking of which, if you have a prince albert, and going thru airport scanners, do you have to whip the old chap out and display to all?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Also, the hysterical "I'm going to miss my stop" carry on. People jumping up and blocking others miles before they get off. Hello, the bus is full. There will be 17,000 people getting off with you. You'll make it. Often the person sitting on my inside does this - starts foostering and zipping way too early and then practically climbs over my head to get out on time...I take great pleasure in getting off behind them and then sailing by them on the street :D

If I miss my stop because the person beside me is dithering or I'm dithering and the next one isn't for miles I'm a bit fecked and will get off early if I want!
    Jaysus
    I doubt anyone even notices what you look like or who's sailing by them in the street...

Got stuck behind some idiot once who was waiting at the doors like they wanted to get off at that stop... but they didn't. gtfo the way will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, if you have a prince albert, and going thru airport scanners, do you have to whip the old chap out and display to all?

Never thought about this, but I don't have any problems with other jewelry going through metal detectors, so possibly not :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

eisenberg1 wrote: »

I think you just have to mention it to the security guards. I have steel pins in my hip and just to be on the safe side I got a letter from my consultant to explain. I just showed it to the security guard and they said no problem :D

I used work in a place before alright that had security scanners manned by an outside contract company, and this one security guard was a bit of a so and so, had me walk through the scanner five times, until I eventually said to him "Look, I can walk through it naked if you want and it's still going to make no difference!". Of course then I knew he had only done it for his own amusement so the next day I'd a word with the VP of operations (I don't do things by halves! :P), who came with me to meet the security guard, and had a quick word with him.

Every time after that I was waved on when I'd walk through the scanners and they went off :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    If I miss my stop because the person beside me is dithering or I'm dithering and the next one isn't for miles I'm a bit fecked and will get off early if I want!
    Jaysus
    I doubt anyone even notices what you look like or who's sailing by them in the street...

Got stuck behind some idiot once who was waiting at the doors like they wanted to get off at that stop... but they didn't. gtfo the way will ya

Who said anything about dithering? Unless that's the new term for "sitting beside". As for jumping up early, when the entire bus is congested with people waiting to get off at the same stop to the point that you've actually nowhere to even stand when you get up early - well, you look like a bit of a tool. Kind of like those knobs on Ryanair flights who jump up and stand in the aisle while the plane is still coming to a stop :rolleyes:

The idiot who blocked you was probably listed in one of my previous posts under the category of "annoying bus people who clog up the aisle even though they are not waiting to alight" :D:D

In any case, I am the queen of bus etiquette - did you not know? Czarcasm is getting me an inspectors badge for Christmas! :D:pac:

• Advertisement

I am all for going for a pint with your parents and /or your children (if they are of age) from time to time but an on tit getter for me is, woman who get all glammed up and go out with the daughter and try to pass themselves off as the older sister

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Jesus wept :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I think you should see whether your employer would be willing to let you work flexi hours. The stress of the bus seems to be too much. Maybe go to your gp with a history of your bus posts and say it is for your mental health :D

Good idea! In fact, I think I should just be shielded from the human race full stop. :D A padded cell somewhere with a nice shiraz...and my framed inspectors badge mounted on the wall for me to gaze at all day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Sending a text to 10 people on midday Tuesday.

Getting 3 replies from said group of 10 by midday Wednesday.

The text in question is one that most certainly warrants a response, even a simple Y or N, as it is in the form of a question and ends in '?'

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

People that leave their side gate bang in the wind for days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

On Facebook

Sorry, that's not a real job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Are you a bus driver? It's only in this country (correct me if I'm wrong that we do that). I've lived and worked abroad and I've never heard people getting off a bus thanking the driver. We don't go into the cockpit of an airplane one by one and thank the pilot for getting the plane down safely? Or we don't go onto the bridge of a ship and thank the captain for doing such a wonderful job of steering the ship in the right direction?:D

No, its not only in Ireland. Its pretty common to thank people.

I don't often walk past the pilot after a flight, but if I did I'd say thanks. Just like i say thanks to the cabin crew. I also thank people in shops, restaurants etc - anyone who provides a service to me. I also say please when I request something from them.

Manners cost you nothing.

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, almost happened to me once in my single years, I met an quiet attractive "older" lady in a bar. After a couple of drinks, she asked if \I wanted to back to her place, for little mother and daughter action, I agree, and back to hers we go, she walks in the hall and shouts up the stairs..."Ma, put yer teeth in, we got a visitor":D I made my excuses and legged it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

No, its not only in Ireland. Its pretty common to thank people.

I don't often walk past the pilot after a flight, but if I did I'd say thanks. Just like i say thanks to the cabin crew. I also thank people in shops, restaurants etc - anyone who provides a service to me. I also say please when I request something from them.

Manners cost you nothing.

Yep and I would be very surprised if he or she didn't appreciate it, I know I would.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement