Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

people who say/write "simples" :mad: Even forgiving the bad english, its just not funny, doesn't make you sound quirky or cute and like...everyone is saying/writing it! whatever clever, funny, reasonable point you might have made has just been washed away by your use of the (non) word "simples". aaaaaaah feels so good :)

People who hold everyone else up at the supermarket checkout and couldn't care less that they are doing it.

Yup, and people who spend ages counting out coins instead of breaking a note. It's all the same! Especially annoying when the bill for example comes to say 17 euro and they start counting out coins (even 5cs etc) and you just know they have a maximum of 7/8 euro in coins anyway. After five minutes of coin counting they eventually give up and hand over a twenty euro note anyway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Driving the speed limit and someone behinds me flashing for me to go faster or get out of the way. It's not safe for me to move into another lane or overtake so stop flashing at me because I'm not speeding.

Although you are correct in sticking to speed limit, you should not be in a lane holding up traffic.

This is something Irish people don't get.

For example the M50 or Naas Rd (N7) 3 lanes, the idea is that you drive the left hand lane and use the other two for overtaking.
    90% of people refuse to use what is perceived as the 'slow' lane and drive as they please in the middle lane. It's just wrong and not done in any other country in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

murpho999 wrote: »
    Although you are correct in sticking to speed limit, you should not be in a lane holding up traffic.

This is something Irish people don't get.

For example the M50 or Naas Rd (N7) 3 lanes, the idea is that you drive the left hand land and use the other two for overtaking.

90% of people refuse to use what is perceived as the 'slow' lane and drive as they please in the middle lane. It's just wrong and not done in other country in Europe.

its is the law though, you are not supposed to overtake beyond the speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

its is the law though, you are not supposed to overtake beyond the speed limit

If you are in the right lane then people overtaking you whilst breaking the law is not your concern.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    If you are in the right lane then people overtaking you whilst breaking the law is not your concern.

if you are doing the speed limit, you are in the right lane

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It is the overtaking lane NOT the "I'm doing what I think is about the speed limit" lane. If you're not overtaking, gtfo

Overtaking lane

bluewolf wrote: »
    It is the overtaking lane NOT the "I'm doing what I think is about the speed limit" lane. If you're not overtaking, gtfo

Overtaking lane

the speed limit is the speed limit, if you are doing the speed limit, everyone else foff

Nobody cares what speed you are doing - if you're blocking the overtaking lane, you move it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

the speed limit is the speed limit, if you are doing the speed limit, everyone else foff

If you're in the overtaking lane and not overtaking, you're driving illegally and also it just proves that you cannot drive. Get the fúck out of the overtaking lane.

• Advertisement

If someone is in the right hand lane (overtaking lane or whatever its called) and they are driving at the maximum permitted speed then how are they holding anyone up? The only people they are "holding up" are the ones breaking the limit surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Lane 3

If you are travelling on a three-lane motorway, you must use this lane only if traffic in lanes 1 and 2 is moving in queues and you need to overtake or accommodate merging traffic. Once you've finished overtaking, move back to your left and allow faster traffic coming from behind to pass by.

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/on-the-motorway.html

summerskin wrote: »
    If you're in the overtaking lane and not overtaking, you're driving illegally and also it just proves that you cannot drive. Get the fúck out of the overtaking lane.

:D hahahahaha

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    If someone is in the right hand lane (overtaking lane or whatever its called) and they are driving at the maximum permitted speed then how are they holding anyone up? The only people they are "holding up" are the ones breaking the limit surely?

Unless you're a guard, that's none of your business, not to mention they might be doing a few under the limit in reality. It's not a lane to sit there being self righteous (not you, in general), it's for overtaking then getting out of there. Deliberately obstructing traffic is against the ROTR if not outright illegal
    Not to mention you never know if someone trying to overtake is in a genuine emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

What concern is it of theirs if people are breaking the speed limit?
    They're also breaking the law by sitting in the outside lane when there's no need for it.

1. It's not the overtaking lane or whatever it's called - it's the overtaking lane, full stop. There are a few allowable exceptions to this - see my post on the previous page - but in general it's for overtaking and then move back into one of the other lanes once you've completed your overtaking manoeuvre. It's immaterial whether you're driving at the speed limit - it's the lane for facilitating overtaking manoeuvres, not for driving in really fast.

2. All emergency services are entitled to drive at over the speed limit. It would be handy if people weren't using the overtaking lane for cruise control driving.

Unless you're a guard, that's none of your business, not to mention they might be doing a few under the limit in reality. It's not a lane to sit there being self righteous (not you, in general), it's for overtaking then getting out of there. Deliberately obstructing traffic is against the ROTR if not outright illegal
    Not to mention you never know if someone trying to overtake is in a genuine emergency.

do you understand what a speed limit is

Do you understand what an overtaking lane is and that misuse of it is illegal?

Blocking it at ANY speed constitutes misuse

LizT wrote: »
    What concern is it of theirs if people are breaking the speed limit?
    They're also breaking the law by sitting in the outside lane when there's no need for it.

maybe there are people in the slow lane and they want to go the speed limit and no more

Duck Soup wrote: »
    1. It's not the overtaking lane or whatever it's called - it's the overtaking lane, full stop. There are a few allowable exceptions to this - see my post on the previous page - but in general it's for overtaking and then move back into one of the other lanes once you've completed your overtaking manoeuvre. It's immaterial whether you're driving at the speed limit - it's the lane for facilitating overtaking manoeuvres, not for driving in really fast.

2. All emergency services are entitled to drive at over the speed limit. It would be handy if people weren't using the overtaking lane for cruise control driving.

if there is no slow moving traffic in the slow lane fine move in but if there is stay where you are

also speeding is speeding and of course its someones business if people are speeding as speeding can cause accidents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

People cutting ahead of you in a queue.

Vodafone's "free" Internet when you top up by €20+. It's only 150mb. That's only good for what, a day?

People that put up bad pics on Facebook of their mates bombed in a club. Flash + dark club + drinking will not turn out well.

if there is no slow moving traffic in the slow lane fine move in but if there is stay where you are

also speeding is speeding and of course its someones business if people are speeding as speeding can cause accidents

The terminology you are using explains why you misunderstand the use of the third lane on a motorway. There is no "slow lane". There are two lanes - Lane 1, Lane 2 - to facilitate the flow of traffic. The third one is exclusively for overtaking. Once you have completed your overtaking manoeuvre, you must move back into lanes 1 or 2. It doesn't matter if you are going at the speed of light with winged Pegasuses as boosters - once you've completed your overtaking manoeuvre, you move out of lane 3.

Conversely, there is no "fast lane". It is the overtaking lane. For, strangely enough, overtaking. Stop calling them "fast lanes" and "slow lanes" and the assigned usages of each will be more apparent.

Sorry, I can't explain it any more clearly than that.

Wow, relax, just stating a fact. Unlike some of the posters on here, I'm not actually interested in driving other people's cars. You guys are so hett up about what other people are doing wrong, I dont know how you manage to concentrate on your own driving. Between that and the general incandescence coming across, I'm not surprised there are so many accidents.
    ps If they are doing "a few under the limit" and the other person is driving at the max, then they are definitely not being held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I just hope you try and pull that cr** in say the UK, France, Spain, Australia, NZ, etc

And do you understand what an overtaking lane is ?
    Obviously not.

I am not allowed discuss …

The terminology you are using explains why you misunderstand the use of the third lane on a motorway. There is no "slow lane". There are two lanes - Lane 1, Lane 2 - to facilitate the flow of traffic. The third one is exclusively for overtaking. Once you have completed your overtaking manoeuvre, you must move back into lanes 1 or 2. It doesn't matter if you are going at the speed of light with winged Pegasuses as boosters - once you've completed your overtaking manoeuvre, you move out of lane 3.

Conversely, there is no "fast lane". It is the overtaking lane. For, strangely enough, overtaking. Stop calling them "fast lanes" and "slow lanes" and the assigned usages of each will be more apparent.

thanks duck soup, very informative :)

Wow, relax, just stating a fact.
    I'm quite relaxed, thanks
    Unlike some of the posters on here, I'm not actually interested in driving other people's cars. You guys are so hett up about what other people are doing wrong,
    This is the "things that annoy you" thread. If you want the sunshine and lollipops thread, off you go.
    then they are definitely not being held up.
    As you said, focus on your own driving and stop worrying about making assumptions of other people.

thanks for repeating what I said in different words but not noticing that you proved my point.

yes move in if you are not overtaking, dont if you are, drive the speed limit in the fast/overtaking lane, somone else might want to pull out and misjudge your speed

jmayo wrote: »
    I just hope you try and pull that cr** in say the UK, France, Spain, Australia, NZ, etc

And do you understand what an overtaking lane is ?
    Obviously not.

its for overtaking within the speed limit

people who think their opinion is law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

people who think their opinion is law

people who make unintentionally ironic statements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement