Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

jmayo wrote: »
    I just hope you try and pull that cr** in say the UK, France, Spain, Australia, NZ, etc

And do you understand what an overtaking lane is ?
    Obviously not.

I dont live in France or any other place, I follow Irish laws of driving

summerskin wrote: »
    people who make unintentionally ironic statements.

are you saying its legal to surpass the speed limit just to overtake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Over taking lane hoggers is a big annoyance for me, but I wouldn't consider it trivial.

What drives me mad is people eating with their mouth open I CAN'T STAND IT! Generally have to leave the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I dont live in France or any other place, I follow Irish laws of driving

Just drive in the most left lane possible and right hand lane for overtaking only regardless of speed.

It's simple.

You are not supposed to drive in outer lanes if the lane left to you is free of traffic, that's the Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

1ZRed wrote: »
    People cutting ahead of you in a queue.

Happened to me in the bank yesterday, well, not so much that they cut in front of me, but that they were with the cashier before the customer in front of me. I thought I was next in the queue and as I was going up to the cashier this chap cut in out of nowhere. The cashier then explained the situation.
    Vodafone's "free" Internet when you top up by €20+. It's only 150mb. That's only good for what, a day?

You'd get about an hours worth of surfing touch.boards.ie for that. Switch to Three and get a 15GB monthly allowance, great for downloading torrents on the go too! :D
    People that put up bad pics on Facebook of their mates bombed in a club. Flash + dark club + drinking will not turn out well.

Never does, I hate the proliferation of cameras and camera phones in clubs nowadays! I'm not even on facebook and my wife has seen me photographed in more compromising positions than I'd care to explain! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

People who have inane ridiculous arguments about overtaking really annoy me. :pac:

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just drive in the most left lane possible and right hand lane for overtaking only regardless of speed.

It's simple.

You are not supposed to drive in outer lanes if the lane left to you is free of traffic, that's the Irish law.

I have repeadedly agreed with that, what I dont agree with is having to move in because someone wants to overtake you while you are overtaking at the right speed and they want to overtake above the speed limit

Thought I had made this clear

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I have repeadedly agreed with that, what I dont agree with is having to move in because someone wants to overtake you while you are overtaking at the right speed and they want to overtake above the speed limit

No , as you didn't say any thing about overtaking, you were saying it's ok to stay in the outer lanes for normal driving once you're within the speed limit which it isn't.

Also, if the person behind you is flashing and speeding etc, it's obviously a dangerous driver, it would be wiser and safer to get out of their way rather than antagonise them and make them do something stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

No , as you didn't say any thing about overtaking, you were saying it's ok to stay in the outer lanes for normal driving once you're within the speed limit which it isn't.

Also, if the person behind you is flashing and speeding etc, it's obviously a dangerous driver, it would be wiser and safer to get out of their way rather than antagonise them and make them do something stupid.

yeah, because if you make be brake suddenly and i spill my beer, i'll be píssed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

The confusion occurs because it's a physical impossibility for someone to overtake you in the overtaking lane, no matter what speed you, or they, are going.

If you're overtaking, you should only be in Lane 3 for a matter of seconds. If you can move into lane 2 because someone is up your exhaust pipe, then your overtaking manoeuvre is completed and you should be have been returning to lane 2 anyway.

A driver driving dangerously close to you in lane 3 is not overtaking - going past one car and returning to the same lane ahead of him - he is tailgating.

If you are in lane 3 for an extended length of time and someone is tailgating you, then you are both using lane 3 for a purpose it is not there for - continuous fast driving.

That's where the confusion is arising.

• Advertisement

Duck Soup wrote: »
    The confusion occurs because it's a physical impossibility for someone to overtake you in the overtaking lane, no matter what speed you, or they, are going.

If you're overtaking, you should only be in Lane 3 for a matter of seconds. If you can move into lane 2 because someone is up your exhaust pipe, then your overtaking manoeuvre is completed and you should be have been returning to lane 2 anyway.

A driver driving dangerously close to you in lane 3 is not overtaking - going past one car and returning to the same lane ahead of him - he is tailgating.

If you are in lane 3 for an extended length of time and someone is tailgating you, then you are both using lane 3 for a purpose it is not there for - continuous fast driving.

That's where the confusion is arising.

the original post on this emphasised drivers flashing their lights to get you to move in, this can happen whether you are still overtaking or not.

That was the annoyance

If you are overtaking within the limit people should not tailgate you and they should not pressure you to move in while you are still overtaking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Joekers

Cashiers in shops not handing change back to you directly, instead slapping it down on the counter where you have to try and pick the coins up again.

Fine if I did the same by throwing money on the counter initially ( which I don't), but at least try to reciprocate.

Theres a weak arguement that it prevents the spread of germs...BUT they are handling money anyway, which probably has every pox known to man on it.

And if its intended as an invitation to leave a tip, F**k off! I would have already left you a tip if I thought you did a good job

Boils my blood, Pure ignorance.
    How about the ***** who dont extend their hand to receive the change off the cashier and just leave you hanging waiting with the money in your hand while they open a pack of smokes??
    And its generally the same people who never say thank you how hard is it to say please and thank you ignorant bastards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

maybe there are people in the slow lane and they want to go the speed limit and no more

What's the problem there? You stay in the inside lane (not called the slow lane) and use the outside lane to overtake any cars going slower than you and move promptly back into the inside lane when it's safe to do so.

LizT wrote: »
    What's the problem there? You stay in the inside lane (not called the slow lane) and use the outside lane to overtake any cars going slower than you and move promptly back into the inside lane when it's safe to do so.

there is no problem with what you said,

i repeat the op stated that people were flashing their lights even when they were doing the speed limit

if we can stop being padantic for a second ill rewrite what i believed to be the scenario

your overtaking at the speed limit, there are cars on the inside, some ahole comes up behind you wanting you to move in, even though you are within your rights to keeps over taking at the speed limit,

they are trying to force you into the other lane so they can break the speed limit

Annoying

this is the same for any lane at any time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

LizT wrote: »
    What concern is it of theirs if people are breaking the speed limit?
    They're also breaking the law by sitting in the outside lane when there's no need for it.

I dont care if they are breaking the speed limit, simply pointing out that if someone is driving at the max permitted speed (and yes I know illegally) in the right hand lane, and someone accuses them of "holding them up" then that someone is obviously breaking the speed limit. Thats all. Hard to see the posts here with all the black pots and kettles flying around haha

Duck Soup wrote: »
    1. It's not the overtaking lane or whatever it's called - it's the overtaking lane, full stop. There are a few allowable exceptions to this - see my post on the previous page - but in general it's for overtaking and then move back into one of the other lanes once you've completed your overtaking manoeuvre. It's immaterial whether you're driving at the speed limit - it's the lane for facilitating overtaking manoeuvres, not for driving in really fast.

2. All emergency services are entitled to drive at over the speed limit. It would be handy if people weren't using the overtaking lane for cruise control driving.

er...ok, glad we did this :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm quite relaxed, thanks

This is the "things that annoy you" thread. If you want the sunshine and lollipops thread, off you go.

As you said, focus on your own driving and stop worrying about making assumptions of other people.

Hmmm, statement 2 seems to contradict statement 1

Also, I'm not the one whingeing about people in the wrong lane so er...I'm not the one who needs to be told to "focus on my own driving" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Soup that I think is veggie friendly but then isn't:mad: I ordered some Knorr wild mushroom soup from Tesco last week and when I looked at the ingredients list before I cooked the stuff, I saw chicken stock listed. Why can't they just call it chicken and mushroom soup, if I'd wanted chicken and mushroom soup I would have bought it. I'm a vegetarian, not precious about it, but ffs why does almost everything have to have animal in it:confused:

Can't even have a packet of sweets without checking to see if it has beef or pork gelatine in it:(

Soup that I think is veggie friendly but then isn't:mad: I ordered some Knorr wild mushroom soup from Tesco last week and when I looked at the ingredients list before I cooked the stuff, I saw chicken stock listed. Why can't they just call it chicken and mushroom soup, if I'd wanted chicken and mushroom soup I would have bought it. I'm a vegetarian, not precious about it, but ffs why does almost everything have to have animal in it:confused:

Can't even have a packet of sweets without checking to see if it has beef or pork gelatine in it:(

Yeha I remember being disgusted when I saw that percy pig had pork gelatine in it (though i guess the name gives it away lol)

The other side of this weird coin are those meat flavoured crisps etc that ARE veggie friendly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Yeha I remember being disgusted when I saw that percy pig had pork gelatine in it (though i guess the name gives it away lol)

The other side of this weird coin are those meat flavoured crisps etc that ARE veggie friendly :(
    Yep I'm quite partial to the odd bag of veggie friendly bacon flavoured rancheros. I've noticed that a lot of the european sweet manufacturers make veggie friendly sweets. I used to have to go to Holland and Barrett for a packet of liqourice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Those 3 gobshítes off exposé. They were in the background talking about lads' gym fashion and how you can match your sweats with vintage tshirts that are so in right now. Guys love blues and greys apparently, I'll keep it in mind.

I actually despise how they talk about lads as if we hadn't a clue and how their girlfriends should nearly dress them.

Fuk off. As if any guy is going to colour coordinate his sweaty gym gear, well I sure as feck wouldn't bother my ass doing it anyway.

bluewolf wrote: »
    No, you're in a thread about things that annoy people whingeing about people posting about things that annoy them

peopel who cant handle being wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

1ZRed wrote: »
    Those 3 gobshítes off exposé. They were in the background talking about lads' gym fashion and how you can match your sweats with vintage tshirts that are so in right now. Guys love blues and greys apparently, I'll keep it in mind.

I actually despise how they talk about lads as if we hadn't a clue and how their girlfriends should nearly dress them.

Fuk off. As if any guy is going to colour coordinate his sweaty gym gear, well I sure as feck wouldn't bother my ass doing it anyway.

You're lucky then Izzy you miss the fashion section on IrelandAM when they do a fashion segment for men and what "trends" are in at the moment- pink shorts and a white shirt with matching pink dicky bow and white plimsols, I near had a cardiac laughing and I would've gotten a pic knowing nobody would believe me, but I couldn't hold the camera steady! :pac:

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Happened to me in the bank yesterday, well, not so much that they cut in front of me, but that they were with the cashier before the customer in front of me. I thought I was next in the queue and as I was going up to the cashier this chap cut in out of nowhere. The cashier then explained the situation.
    I was getting food and I hadn't any breakfast so the hunger angry had set in a bit. Safe to say the guy that cut ahead of me looked back and his glance hit the floor. His mate behind him quickly conformed to the back of the line as well.

You don't fuk with me on an empty stomach :P

In fairness I wasn't even trying to intimidate the guy and wasn't too fussed about the situation really. Ah well.

You'd get about an hours worth of surfing touch.boards.ie for that. Switch to Three and get a 15GB monthly allowance, great for downloading torrents on the go too! :D
    No, I like this thing called coverage thanks :P

Once I upgrade my phone within the next week or two I might think about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

peopel who cant handle being wrong

The ironing is delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Middle lane drivers on motorways.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You're lucky then Izzy you miss the fashion section on IrelandAM when they do a fashion segment for men and what "trends" are in at the moment- pink shorts and a white shirt with matching pink dicky bow and white plimsols, I near had a cardiac laughing and I would've gotten a pic knowing nobody would believe me, but I couldn't hold the camera steady! :pac:

I've been saying it for a while now, we need "straight eye for the queer guy" at this stage because I'm clearly behind on these trends all men just can't live without!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

When you're sitting at a desk and someone leans on your chair while talking to you, expecting you not to mind that the chair has moved a few microns into an uncomfortable position.

Gotham wrote: »
    When you're sitting at a desk and someone leans on your chair while talking to you, expecting you not to mind that the chair has moved a few microns into an uncomfortable position.
    Yes! And people who approach your desk and blatantly run their eyes over everything on it either just before or as they begin talking to you. I dont really care if people see whats on my desk but it drives...me...mad :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Although you are correct in sticking to speed limit, you should not be in a lane holding up traffic.

This is something Irish people don't get.

For example the M50 or Naas Rd (N7) 3 lanes, the idea is that you drive the left hand lane and use the other two for overtaking.
    90% of people refuse to use what is perceived as the 'slow' lane and drive as they please in the middle lane. It's just wrong and not done in any other country in Europe.

As a motorcyclist, every lane with at least 1 car in it is the slow lane.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement