Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's even worse when they're fondling loose rolls, I can't buy loose rolls anymore:(
    its the auld wans who reek of piss which have a special love for groping food items

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Hmm, trivial but not just annoying, pissed me off a fair bit actually as it's something I'd never experienced before -

I was just in mass there, not my usual Church, but they passed around the baskets, and in nearly 20 years I'd say I've never given anything into it*, just passed it on to the next person. Nobody's ever questioned me on it.

But today this particular chap was collecting the baskets when he stopped and asked me "Have you contributed?", I was a little taken aback by the question, but answered "No", and what followed could only be described as a "stare-off" where he expected me to put my hand in my pocket. Obviously after a minute of this he realised I wasn't budging, and moved on.

"Dad you're so embarrassing!" said my young lad beside me.

"Son" I replied, "Look around you, do they look like they actually need the money?".

Just for shìts 'n' giggles then I took a look at their newsletter under "Financial Matters" and noticed under "Last Weeks Collection" - €3,709...

And this is only a Church in a small town!

*I haven't given any financial assistance to the Church because I honestly don't believe they need it. It's just my own personal thing that I'd congregate in a haybarn and it wouldn't bother me, I find all the ornate finery quite distasteful and tacky and it'd do the Church no harm to practice the poverty and humility of which they preach!

If they need to raise money that badly - like any business they should sell off some of their vast assets instead of attempting to pilfer their congregation.

/rant

Christ that was more like a sermon than a short trivial annoyance :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm not a mass goer (i'm of the "other" persuasion) but I've been to a few in the last year or so and am completely puzzled by the fact that in that church the collection basket comes around twice ( I'm just used to the once in our church). What's the point of that? Surely they just get the same amount of money overall. Why do you give twice? I would have thought people just give the same amount divided in two.

Not annoying but puzzling to me. Is there a reason for it? Do they think they'll get more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm not a mass goer (i'm of the "other" persuasion) but I've been to a few in the last year or so and am completely puzzled by the fact that in that church the collection basket comes around twice ( I'm just used to the once in our church). What's the point of that? Surely they just get the same amount of money overall. Why do you give twice? I would have thought people just give the same amount divided in two.

Not annoying but puzzling to me. Is there a reason for it? Do they think they'll get more?

That's a new one on me Murdy, I never seen that happening. At what parts did they sent round the baskets? Like it wasn't just that two baskets passed you at offertory time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ordering a 7up and getting a sprite :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Rasheed wrote: »
    That's a new one on me Murdy, I never seen that happening. At what parts did they sent round the baskets? Like it wasn't just that two baskets passed you at offertory time?

There used to be 2 in my church growing up. One was a "local" collection, for the upkeep of the church, feed the priests. Seconf was the "Share" collection, went into the Dublin diocese coffers, for the poor (I really don't know what they did with it).

Ordering a 7up and getting a sprite :mad:

Same for coke and pepsi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

When people insist coke and pepsi are not the same thing and they don't realise you couldn't give less of a f**k :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Miss Behaviour

The cloth shopping baskets in Penneys.

When people insist coke and pepsi are not the same thing and they don't realise you couldn't give less of a f**k :P

Hey, I'll have you know I had a 100% record in the Pepsi challenge! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Hey, I'll have you know I had a 100% record in the Pepsi challenge! :p

No you don't, nobody does! The lies some people will tell on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

My girlfriend doesn't know how to clean the cutlery, always bits of food stuck to it, sick of it!

My girlfriend doesn't know how to clean the cutlery, always bits of food stuck to it, sick of it!

Feeling a bit under the weather about it Evelyn?

/gets raincoat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

People who don't "get" Seinfeld yet they've barely watched an episode!

There used to be 2 in my church growing up. One was a "local" collection, for the upkeep of the church, feed the priests. Seconf was the "Share" collection, went into the Dublin diocese coffers, for the poor (I really don't know what they did with it).

Ah right. Never seen it, or should I say noticed it!

Edit: just mentioned it to mam, she remembers it well when she lived in Dublin (30 years ago) and a bit around here but not as much. Seems to be done away with here, I can't ever remember it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gurl88

Toilet paper roll hanging the "wrong" way and the mass of talent shows on tv

Rasheed wrote: »
    Ah right. Never seen it, or should I say noticed it!

Edit: just mentioned it to mam, she remembers it well when she lived in Dublin (30 years ago) and a bit around here but not as much. Seems to be done away with here, I can't ever remember it!

Yeah I've seen it occur in one or two churches alright, but I thought it was more to do with yknow the way some churches will hand out envelopes at the start of the year for monthly contributions?

Hitting people for a double whammy during the service was done instead of the monthly envelope collections.

The worst one I've ever seen though was an Abundant Life (they're based on the Presbyterian Church) service where they actually had people write their PPSN on the envelopes!

(I'm not actually some holy Joe, I just get around :D)

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen it occur in one or two churches alright, but I thought it was more to do with yknow the way some churches will hand out envelopes at the start of the year for monthly contributions?

Hitting people for a double whammy during the service was done instead of the monthly envelope collections.

The worst one I've ever seen though was an Abundant Life (they're based on the Presbyterian Church) service where they actually had people write their PPSN on the envelopes!

(I'm not actually some holy Joe, I just get around :D)

Church whore! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

My wife deliberately pluralizes terms like "make ups".

If you do it accidentally it grates, doing it deliberately is worse. Minor but drives me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Well that makes a slight bit more sense - but I guess they expected you to know that and didn't make it obvious! The collections were about 5 minutes apart. I just found it very strange (and no, I didn't give the second time!)

Oh and it was the church in Skerries, Dublin. I was at a anniversary mass there last June and they did it so it obviously still goes on in some churches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Same for coke and pepsi
    Ordering Club Orange and getting Fanta - now that's a MAJOR difference. Once is an orange flavoured soft drink, the other tastes like a sugary chemical abortion taking place in your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Ungrateful female drivers you let out with no show of thanks.

When a second till is opened up in the supermarket and the barbarian hoard behind you rush over as if they're more entitled to be there than you are.

People sucking their fingers dry after eating.

People who let their dogs slobber all over the faces for three minutes solid.

Lightbulbs that blow immediately after installing them.

Biting your own tongue and then getting thick with yourself.

Timing your walk up to a door so that you don't have to wait around for an embarrassing amount of time holding it open for the person behind you.

People who fill their car with petrol and instead of paying immediately, go for a year long expedition around the shop.

When the nicest/crunchiest/saltiest/sauce-rich piece of food you're about to put in your mouth falls on the floor.

When you pour milk on your cereal and it fountains all over the table after hitting a rogue flake.

People who leave the locking ring on the milk lid after opening.

Sharon Ni Bheolain enunciating her "t"s in every world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When you pour milk on your cereal and it fountains all over the table after hitting a rogue flake.

This, and a rogue spoon when washing the dishes under running water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Shop staff licking their fingers to grasp plastic bags and then handing me bags, food, change with their spit on them.

Marks and Spencers bakery: most of the bread and baked goods are exposed and you can see people with filthy hands mauling them and putting them back. Not to mention all the people that sneeze and cough on them.

People are who are stupid enough to buy exposed bread and baked goods.

smeedyova wrote: »
    Shop staff licking their fingers to grasp plastic bags and then handing me bags, food, change with their spit on them.

Marks and Spencers bakery: most of the bread and baked goods are exposed and you can see people with filthy hands mauling them and putting them back. Not to mention all the people that sneeze and cough on them.

paro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

smeedyova wrote: »

Read this, thought of this:

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jandm

Spurious apostrophes at the end of the day.

And not so trivial, cars exiting Dundrum Town Centre with headlights off after dark, needs to be a large pink glittery flashing sign at the exits to remind drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

urbanledge wrote: »
    paro!

Do you work in a hospital by any chance? One of the many staff who think it's "paro" to wash their hands in between patients? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

My supervisor keeps calling inventory as infantry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People using the word "build" as a noun rather than a verb. wtf is that about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement