Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Plazaman wrote: »
    *cough* gets clipped

Now you've only done this to be a c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

smeedyova wrote: »
    So why do they need a "cooking expert" then? Sure, any of us could taste it and say it needs more seasoning...

Do I really need to explain this? Yes, any of us could say it needs more seasoning, but not all of us would know if it needs more seasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I hate the look of them, I hate the way they taste and even the name angers me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Do I really need to explain this? Yes, any of us could say it needs more seasoning, but not all of us would know if it needs more seasoning.

You mean you don't know when you don't like your dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

I don't mind people talking to me about craft beers and such as long as they don't think that it makes them intellectually superior in any way. If you like craft beers, bully for you but don't try to make other people feel small because they aren't bothered taking the time out to sample and research different beers - it's a niche hobby and so it's only going attractive to a small section of society. I think they problem is that people immerse themselves in these niche hobbies (which is quite easy to do with internet forums and the like) and the strong opinions that follow with these and don't realise that they don't translate to the wider public. So if you're happy sitting in discussing your favourite IPAs and how sh¡te Bud is with your mates on a forum, that's standard enough chat in these situations. If you do the same thing in a pub with people that don't give two figs about Green Flash or Flying Fish, you'll end up looking like an arsehole.

I'm a fairweather supporter of rugby, I've gone to a couple of Leinster games, keep a passing interest on the Heineken Cup and I'll watch the 6 nations and the november tests but beyond that I don't invest much time beyond because I've kids and other hobbies. But I'll hold my hand up and say that, it's not something I have a problem admitting that and so I don't get any guff off of hardcore supporters. I think what really gets up the nose of the hardcore massive is the spoofers. The guys that pretend they know what they're talking about when they haven't a clue and tbf if I was in that situation it would probably annoy the bejaysus out of me.

Well said.

I've become a fan of craft beers over the last year or so because I like how some of them taste, but the sheer b*lloxology that some people go on with about craft beers is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Penguin feeding time in 15 minutes! ;)

http://www.dublinzoo.ie/20/Penguins.aspx

I'd say this is quite interesting too :pac:

http://www.dublinzoo.ie/158/Wolves.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Penguins not being fed on time.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Penguins not being fed on time.

This is a trivial annoyance indeed.

I know. Been staring at the screen now for 8 minutes. Have to keep my eyes open with matchsticks :P

I'm going to pretend to myself its all I have to worry about. That will make me feel better.

• Advertisement

I know. Been staring at the screen now for 8 mnutes. Have to keep my eyes open with matchsticks :P

You underestimate the interesting behaviour of penguins.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE6I29u2CyM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Who, or what are they feeding the penguins to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

Shops that open 2 weeks before Christmas and then disappear on the 27th of Decemeber.... never to be fookin seen again.

People who insist on pushing their shopping trolley into your arse, then you turn around giving them the death ray stare, and they look at you as if to say, woooo what's your problem. Having a shopping trolley shoved into me arse is my problem.

Pushy parents who insist their child has to see Santa right at the front of the crowd. Even though the child is only 2 years old, should probably be inside as it is freezing cold and lashing down with rain, and will have no recollection of this event in years to come.... someone doesn't want to feel guilty when he or she is 17 and hassling said parent for money for alcohol or cigarettes.

Should I call the zoo and ask them when they will feed the poor guys?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm just getting the one loop of video, I wanna see penguins eat :(

My phonecall worked :D

Did nobody else think that that penguin webcam was a very sad thing? Reminded me of when that Happy Feet penguin was captured and locked up in the zoo, how depressed he got not being in his natural environment...No penguin march for these sad souls.

*Cue amazing amount of abuse.

smeedyova wrote: »
    Did nobody else think that that penguin webcam was a very sad thing? Reminded me of when that Happy Feet penguin was captured and locked up in the zoo, how depressed he got not being in his natural environment...No penguin march for these sad souls.

*Cue amazing amount of abuse.

I was going to say something similar because I dont really agree with zoos (in fact I hate them) but I too expected abuse (and cries of "conservation!") and didnt want to derail my favourite thread :(

In fairness, Dublin Zoo has come a long way in the last 10 years or so. Lots of open space for all the animals.

I was at London zoo a couple of years ago and was shocked to still see tiny cages etc.

Although their monkey arboretum is absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I was going to say something similar because I dont really agree with zoos (in fact I hate them) but I too expected abuse (and cries of "conservation!") and didnt want to derail my favourite thread :(

You prefer the people zoos on buses, throw a few yokes at the monkeys down the back and watch them all scramble :D

Heh, I just reminded myself of this one -

♪I sometimes feed the sparrows too
    It gives me a sense of enormous well-being
    (Parklife)
    And then I'm happy for the rest of the day safe in the knowledge
    There will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it

All the people
    So many people
    And they all go hand in hand
    Hand in hand through their parklife

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You prefer the people zoos on buses, throw a few yokes at the monkeys down the back and watch them all scramble :D

Heh, I just reminded myself of this one -

♪I sometimes feed the sparrows too
    It gives me a sense of enormous well-being
    (Parklife)
    And then I'm happy for the rest of the day safe in the knowledge
    There will always be a bit of my heart devoted to it

All the people
    So many people
    And they all go hand in hand
    Hand in hand through their parklife

Wouldnt waste an egg on those bastards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,886 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

People spelling paid as payed. I've seen it at least four times on Boards in the past couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Walking around Dunnes Stores here and I know for copyright reasons they have cover artists sing songs, but Jesus this one is murdering "Silent Night" sounding like a hoarse child that just got a Casio keyboard for Christmas, bloody demo drumbeat and jazz tempo in the background and all... :pac:

People who acted surprised at the checkout when they're asked for money and then spend ages looking for their wallet.

Anybody chewing gum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

People who will blame anything on the British. Pothole down the road? Sure dont you know the British used it and never repaired it. 5 euro for a sandwich? Well if the British didn't steal everything during the famine they would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Dear Dunnes management - customers do not want to hear crap Christmas songs, especially not in the middle of November. Your staff do not want to hear crap Cristmas songs, nor do they wish to listen to customers complaining about them. I'm voting with my feet and shopping elsewhere.

Can we please all get together and boycott the shops playing crap Christmas songs. And explain to a manager why. Maybe then, they'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

having your Facebook FCUKING DELETED for no cnuting reason!! so enraged right now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I don't mind people talking to me about craft beers and such as long as they don't think that it makes them intellectually superior in any way. If you like craft beers, bully for you but don't try to make other people feel small because they aren't bothered taking the time out to sample and research different beers - it's a niche hobby and so it's only going attractive to a small section of society. I think they problem is that people immerse themselves in these niche hobbies (which is quite easy to do with internet forums and the like) and the strong opinions that follow with these and don't realise that they don't translate to the wider public. So if you're happy sitting in discussing your favourite IPAs and how sh¡te Bud is with your mates on a forum, that's standard enough chat in these situations. If you do the same thing in a pub with people that don't give two figs about Green Flash or Flying Fish, you'll end up looking like an arsehole.

I'm a fairweather supporter of rugby, I've gone to a couple of Leinster games, keep a passing interest on the Heineken Cup and I'll watch the 6 nations and the november tests but beyond that I don't invest much time beyond because I've kids and other hobbies. But I'll hold my hand up and say that, it's not something I have a problem admitting that and so I don't get any guff off of hardcore supporters. I think what really gets up the nose of the hardcore massive is the spoofers. The guys that pretend they know what they're talking about when they haven't a clue and tbf if I was in that situation it would probably annoy the bejaysus out of me.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but, just to clarify, I was talking more about the double standards that seem to exist. Eg, there was a thread on here before about an American brewer moving to Ireland. Someone had a cut on American beer, saying it was pisswater and all that. Someone else replied that American beer is much more varied and flavoursome than the usual bland Heineken, Guinness etc. that you get here. The second fella got plenty of "beer snob" type comments thrown at him, despite the first fella dismissing an entire country's extremely varied beer-types.

Re the sports thing, you're right about that. Seems to attach itself particularly to rugby in recent times (and, to a lesser extent, GAA around All-Ireland Final times), when 10-15 years ago people wouldn't be caught dead at a rugby match. I've heard people say before that Munster put Irish rugby on the map by being the "first" Irish team to win the European Rugby Cup...despite Ulster winning it seven years previous...during which, Munster averaged about 2,000 for home matches.

In general, though, people that come to the matches every now and then are grand. They don't become experts overnight.

Well said.

I've become a fan of craft beers over the last year or so because I like how some of them taste, but the sheer b*lloxology that some people go on with about craft beers is laughable.

No doubt that you get that kind of thing, but I think the militant Guinness drinkers are the worst of the lot. Won't accept any bad word against the "black stuff*", derides other stouts, at pains to describe the perfect Guinness, where to get it, how to pour it down to the degree of the angle of the glass, being shocked at the possibility of a pub that doesn't serve it etc.

*Having that nickname, as if it's unique in being a black alcoholic drink is another trivial annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement