Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

maximoose wrote: »
    The tasting isn't to see if they like the taste, it's to see if the bottle is corked..no?

Rarely happens. And even if it does, the chances of people actually being able to tell the difference...you can bet your last euro most of them think "corked" = bits of cork floating in their vino as opposed to "hmmm.... I think this might be oxidised...it tastes like sh1te"! :D Plus have seen them do it with screwtops, plastic "corks" and also not asking if the customer would like to taste the second bottle (which they should want to, if they tasted the first one for reasons beyond wanting to look important).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Soccer obsessed lemmings.
    "Who do you support"
    "We won the league last year"

Go away you fool, you've never even been in the country that your beloved team is from.

I leave the door open for five bloody minutes while I go to the clothesline, the cat abandons the food I've just given him and legs it into the kitchen and straight into the butter on the table. I don't know how he discovered that he loves butter but he's like a junkie for it :mad: Now there's butter everywhere and he'll probably sneak back into the house when he feels like a puke as well, fcuk that cat, seriously

how did the cat get the lid off the butter ??;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think it is ignorance, but not in a pretentious way... just people not actually knowing WHY the server has poured them a little bit to taste! It was only recently enough I learnt that it was for corking purposes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Rarely happens. And even if it does, the chances of people actually being able to tell the difference...you can bet your last euro most of them think "corked" = bits of cork floating in their vino as opposed to "hmmm.... I think this might be oxidised...it tastes like sh1te"! :D Plus have seen them do it with screwtops, plastic "corks" and also not asking if the customer would like to taste the second bottle (which they shoud want to, if they tasted the first one for reasons beyond looking important).

A screw-top bottle can have "cork-taint" if the barrel in which it was aged or even the hoses or beams in the winery have been infected. A quick sniff may lead to doubt which a taste can confirm. If a screw-top bottle has cork-taint it's likely that the whole batch was contaminated so a second bottle of the same vintage isn't a good idea. It's bad practice on the part of a winery but if it's the only source of income it's tempting to just fire it out there and rely on people thinking they just don't like the wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and Christina Aguielsdcggrgkh......whatever. They insist on showing off their vocal range in every f*cking song that they sing. And what is worse is every person who does karaoke thinks they can also do it.

Vocal gymnastics..........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

killanena wrote: »
    When cashiers wrap your change in a receipt in a shop after buying a few bits and then you have to unwrap it and put the change in your wallet while your hands are full and their is a queue of people behind you waiting >.<

The simple solution to that is not to put change in your wallet.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    A screw-top bottle can have "cork-taint" if the barrel in which it was aged or even the hoses or beams in the winery have been infected. A quick sniff may lead to doubt which a taste can confirm. If a screw-top bottle has cork-taint it's likely that the whole batch was contaminated so a second bottle of the same vintage isn't a good idea. It's bad practice on the part of a winery but if it's the only source of income it's tempting to just fire it out there and rely on people thinking they just don't like the wine.

Although possible, most TCA contamination comes from the natural cork stopper.(The cork-industry group APCOR cites a study showing a 0.7-1.2% taint rate.) Its statistically unlikely to occur elsewhere and statistically even less likely that the person tasting it will know any of what has been said in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Although possible, most TCA contamination comes from the natural cork stopper.(The cork-industry group APCOR cites a study showing a 0.7-1.2% taint rate.) Its statistically unlikely to occur elsewhere and statistically even less likely that the person tasting it will know any of what has been said in this regard.

The cork industry paid for a study about one of the key problems facing the cork industry. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

The cork industry paid for a study about one of the key problems facing the cork industry. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

A poster implies fault in a link provided by another poster with a differing view...double hmmmmmm...something straaaaaaaaaaaaaange is happenin' on boards today :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

I heard a rumour of a story of an alleged focus group who met the man who read the original report by the Wine Corkers Marketing Board.

During the summer past, I was out in the garden early one evening, mowing the hedge, when a woman, who I kind of know to see, asked me if I had seen her kids about. I told her I had just noticed a bunch of young kids heading for the park, but was not sure if her kids were in that group as I did not know what her kids looked like ( all in a jovial joke way). She looks at me like I sold them to the childcatcher, storms off and everytime she sees me know, its the old head in the air trick.....

I don't think I will ever get over it.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    During the summer past, I was out in the garden early one evening, mowing the hedge, when a woman, who I kind of know to see, asked me if I had seen her kids about. I told her I had just noticed a bunch of young kids heading for the park, but was not sure if her kids were in that group as I did not know what her kids looked like ( all in a jovial joke way). She looks at me like I sold them to the childcatcher, storms off and everytime she sees me know, its the old head in the air trick.....

What was her problem? That you didnt know what they looked like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Probably because she thought eisenberg had nothing better to do but keep an eye on her children for her when she couldn't be arsed to do it herself.

She probably realises by now she was a bit of a trollop that cut off her own nose to spite her face. Her name's not Hyacinth Bucket by any chance eisenberg? :D

Yep. I don't even know her name, just a vague notion of seeing her with little kids, could be age six or so , but don't know if they are boys or girls. I mean if it was a panic situation, I would have helped her look for them, but it just a casual ask....no panic. Just pissed cos I didn't taker a big interest in her kids:confused:. My OH can name every kid within a ten mile radius. I have nephews and nieces that I cant even recall the names of :D

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Probably because she thought eisenberg had nothing better to do but keep an eye on her children for her when she couldn't be arsed to do it herself.

She probably realises by now she was a bit of a trollop that cut off her own nose to spite her face. Her name's not Hyacinth Bucket by any chance eisenberg? :D

Just a bit of a weirdo....more like Cruella DeVille

Next time I will film all kids passing my house, and give out sweets....see if she is happy then:rolleyes:

When people use "alot" as one word, when no such word actually exists.
    When Joe Duffy describes people as "salt o d'erth". Actually just Liveline in general. Everyday I listen to it just to see how far I can go without throwing in the towel. He spent a week talking about the new filum (hate that as well) called Filluumeeennnaa. Now he is talking about JFK and trying to drag that crap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Let this be you:

People are really sensitive about their kids. When I was younger I was friend's with a neighbour's child who was a bit of a whinge bag. My other saw his mother walking on the side of the road one day and offered her a lift. she said to my mother that she was afraid of her son going to school so early, 4years old as he "is an awful big child". My mother replied "Ah sure he will grow out of that". It was only after my mam realised she meant her child was physically big. 23 years later and she barely acknowledges my mother exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

People who will send eight text about something rather than ringing you for 30 seconds.

Also, I hate when I go home we set a time to leave the house to go somewhere my mother decideds that a minute before we aredue to leave is a great time to go writing christmas cards, looking for an item that has been lost for years, clean out a press etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

When Joe Duffy describes people as "salt o d'erth". Actually just Liveline in general. Everyday I listen to it just to see how far I can go without throwing in the towel. He spent a week talking about the new filum (hate that as well) called Filluumeeennnaa. Now he is talking about JFK and trying to drag that crap out.

You remind me jack of my old man. Every Saturday night (or Sunday?) he'd watch Gerry Ryan on "Secrets" and he'd piss and moan and fart about how "Ohh Gerry Ryan is this, that and the other, fcuk, fcuk, fcuk...", come Monday morning he'd have him on the radio from 9 to 12, hanging on every word almost and cursing him out of it at the same time.

When asked why doesn't he just turn it off if he gets that bent out of shape about it -

"Hush, shut up! I'm only watching/listening to see how bad he gets!"

*confused silence* :pac:

People are really sensitive about their kids. When I was younger I was friend's with a neighbour's child who was a bit of a whinge bag. My other saw his mother walking on the side of the road one day and offered her a lift. she said to my mother that she was afraid of her son going to school so early, 4years old as he "is an awful big child". My mother replied "Ah sure he will grow out of that". It was only after my mam realised she meant her child was physically big. 23 years later and she barely acknowledges my mother exists.

As my dear departed Mother used to say, when referring to cranky people "she was probably bottle fed as a baby":D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 monocleman

Excuse me, it most certainly exists: ... Alot
    everlast75 wrote: »
    The use of 'stock' photos in advertising.

Their fake joyous expressions in the most mundane of situations.

The use of stock photos in newspaper articles, especially where it involves very bland people looking pensive or concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

People who use Facebook to give us the "privilege" of viewing every aspect of their little darlings lives....
    "...Little Johnny making meatballs...
    ...little Mary using the potty for the first time...
    "my little angel losing his first tooth."
    "my little darling pudding with sick all over his face after consuming an entire birthday cake in one sitting..."

Who cares...so you pro-created...so has half the world's population...get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

People who use Facebook to give us the "privilege" of viewing every aspect of their little darlings lives....
    "my little darling pudding with sick all over his face after consuming an entire birthday cake in one sitting..."

Who cares...so you pro-created...so has half the world's population...get over it!

You need the dumb facebook status thread. Its worth a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

OhHiMark wrote: »
    The simple solution to that is not to put change in your wallet.

Then it's a purse.

Yep. I don't even know her name, just a vague notion of seeing her with little kids, could be age six or so , but don't know if they are boys or girls. I mean if it was a panic situation, I would have helped her look for them, but it just a casual ask....no panic. Just pissed cos I didn't taker a big interest in her kids:confused:. My OH can name every kid within a ten mile radius. I have nephews and nieces that I cant even recall the names of :D

lol, if you were able to recognise and describe then she'd probably think you were a weirdo with an unnatural interest in them - damned if you do and damned if you dont!

Kids to me are kind of like cars. You'd be aware of them passing you by or whatever (or if they were in your way) but you dont remember the specifics. Like a line of cars would clearly be all different but if someone said to you, "did a red Toyota Yaris pass you by while you were standing waiting for the green man?" you'd be like...wtf??

Sitting flicking through the stations last night and there was actually a program about a maternity ward...like, they have officially made tv out of people pro-creating....why?? :confused: The most normal thing in the world.... reminded me of all the years watching "Doctor" Gillian McKeith analysing people's sh1t....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Ha ha ha. That is a great one :D

• Advertisement

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You remind me jack of my old man. Every Saturday night (or Sunday?) he'd watch Gerry Ryan on "Secrets" and he'd piss and moan and fart about how "Ohh Gerry Ryan is this, that and the other, fcuk, fcuk, fcuk...", come Monday morning he'd have him on the radio from 9 to 12, hanging on every word almost and cursing him out of it at the same time.

When asked why doesn't he just turn it off if he gets that bent out of shape about it -

"Hush, shut up! I'm only watching/listening to see how bad he gets!"

*confused silence* :pac:

haha my mam and nanny do that with the news. Think I posted about it before. They just sit perched, waiting for the headlines, them go on a rant so you cant actually hear the news at all. Like that gameshow from the 90's where you were given a topic and had to talk about it non-stop for a minute...bizzare carry on from grown women... and they'll do it at 6 AND 9 (in case any new topics should appear) and flick over to the BBC (in case they have any better topics there)...and back again to RTE.....fuuuuuuuck sake...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement