Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Or any "when you". Me and my sister don't get on well. "When you get older, yous will be best friends" is something people have been saying to me since I was 6. I'm 23. How old do I have to get before I can accept that we don't get on?

Do you have children? You'll think differently when you have children. It puts things into perspective. Plus blood is thicker than water.

People complaining about being clamped. If you don't want to be clamped...follow the rules. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Do you have children? You'll think differently when you have children. It puts things into perspective.

If you needed children to give you perspective, then you clearly haven't done enough with your own life since the time you were a child yourself.

Plus blood is thicker than water.

Blood is 92% water.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    If you needed children to give you perspective, then you clearly haven't done enough with your own life since the time you were a child yourself.

Blood is 92% water.

Read the post I quoted, and the post that poster quoted...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

What?

Sigh. People who say, 'I'm good', when 15 years ago, they would have been happy to reply with, 'I'm well'.
    Oh. Perhaps they're informing me of the state of their consciences. Never thought about that...

• Advertisement

Sigh. People who say, 'I'm good', when 15 years ago, they would have been happy to reply with, 'I'm well'.
    Oh. Perhaps they're informing me of the state of their consciences. Never thought about that...

Do they not say Grand or Fine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Read the post I quoted, and the post that poster quoted...

I may have missed the sarcasm, you have me lost camel, but not as lost as this -

I've never heard anyone say "I'm well"? I'd actually wonder were they all there if I heard anyone come out with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Hard plastic blister packs. The ones that you cut with a scissors then wrestle with it then the contents fly across the room and you gash your hand on the cut plastic. Or just like now, I cut down a bit from the top, opened the pack and realised I had cut the instruction manual in half.

Anybody know where I can get the instructions for a Panas Bloo Press Mach? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Dad with the rugby on the tele and a gaelic match on the radio. Fcuking pick one, I'm too hungover to try and follow both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Aye that wrecks my head too, I'd love to answer with "funny you should mention, I happen to be evil". I usually just go with "grand" or "fine" but if I do say "I'm very well thank you" I get a funny look. I'm not fancy ffs, I just don't like Americanizms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Rasheed wrote: »
    Dad with the rugby on the tele and a gaelic match on the radio. Fcuking pick one, I'm too hungover to try and follow both.

ARGH you've reminded me! I love listening to the radio but I don't like sport, why does it have to be on every single fecking talk radio station at the weekend? There's seven days in the week, spread it out a bit. Loyal radio listener and what reward do I get at the weekend? Team this, manager that, balls the other :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

People who while you are having a conversation with them and there is a gap in the conversation they then say
    "come here to me" and the continue on.
    Fcuk those people.
    Also people who while your chatting to them about somthing they continually are goin
    "I know oh I know" it's like they are attempting to relate to your experience but they are actually not listening at all.
    Another one and this relates to my sister most of all, especially when u haven't seen her for a while she rocks in and talks about herself nonstop about her stupid job and then gets out her phone and shows me some bull**** email which she wanted to read out loud but I said sure I'll read it myself. Then harps on about it for another hour.
    She then would ask me about myself and my work and I would start to talk and she would talk all over me about some other bull**** so I just stop talking and wait for her to leave.

And Hector O cnutaghan from 2fm breakfast show, I can feel that dick in my car invading my space, getting In my face telling me **** I don't care about and popping the occasional as Gaeilge word into the conversation.
    Smug Gaeilgeoir nazi ****ebag.

I know a bloke like that, I think to call him a mate is stretching it a bit. If he rang to ask me to go for a drink I'd tell him I was shaving my ears or any f**king thing so as not to go out. There were times he found me having a beer and I'd mutter "bollox!" under my breath. He drones on and on about himself then asks a question, takes out his Blackberry and starts typing a text not having a clue what you just said then goes on and on all over again. ****wit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

ARGH you've reminded me! I love listening to the radio but I don't like sport, why does it have to be on every single fecking talk radio station at the weekend? There's seven days in the week, spread it out a bit. Loyal radio listener and what reward do I get at the weekend? Team this, manager that, balls the other :mad::mad::mad:

I can sympatise. Well I like most sport so like to kept updated if I'm driving but couldn't care less about soccer. I find it grating that every score from every **** of a match in England is blasted to me. And as you said, it's every poxy radio station. Then during the week, you're kept abreast of the latest meltdown by some over paid manager giving out about some overpaid player. I'd rather listen to a continuous loop of the Angelus.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Discovered this thread yesterday morning and have been reading it ever since. Got some work done around the house but now I have to rush around getting everything ready for the week AND never got back to the book I was reading.
    It's great fun except when someone occasionally gets ratty taking it so seriously. But that is funny too.
    I have compiled a long list of irritants, I mean things that irritate me, as I read through, but the four major ones are:
    1. Drivers who have to make sure the light is really green; who don't indicate on roundabouts; who need to see a clear horizon before they pull out at junctions; who don't realise that they have to merge onto the motorway or M50 at the speed of the motorway, not that we have to slow to a crawl to let them on (unless traffic is already going slow)
    2. Mispronunciation of tremendous. Usually by those who take the second i out of million and put it after the d in tremendous. Hence tremendious, pronounced tremenjess.
    3. Christy Moore, the timbre of his voice, the cadence, his accent, what his songs are about, his tunes, the style of his lyrics. Everything.
    4. Strawberries from USA and herbs from Israel. Annoys me much more than asparagus from Peru and sugar snap peas from Kenya.

I hope you see that I have tried to avoid most of the grammatical infractions that irritate posters here and refrained from exaggerated use of exclamation marks.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Discovered this thread yesterday morning and have been reading it ever since. Got some work done around the house but now I have to rush around getting everything ready for the week AND never got back to the book I was reading.
    It's great fun except when someone occasionally gets ratty taking it so seriously. But that is funny too.
    I have compiled a long list of irritants, I mean things that irritate me, as I read through, but the four major ones are:
    1. Drivers who have to make sure the light is really green; who don't indicate on roundabouts; who need to see a clear horizon before they pull out at junctions; who don't realise that they have to merge onto the motorway or M50 at the speed of the motorway, not that we have to slow to a crawl to let them on (unless traffic is already going slow)
    2. Mispronunciation of tremendous. Usually by those who take the second i out of million and put it after the d in tremendous. Hence tremendious, pronounced tremenjess.
    3. Christy Moore, the timbre of his voice, the cadence, his accent, what his songs are about, his tunes, the style of his lyrics. Everything.
    4. Strawberries from USA and herbs from Israel. Annoys me much more than asparagus from Peru and sugar snap peas from Kenya.

I hope you see that I have tried to avoid most of the grammatical infractions that irritate posters here and refrained from exaggerated use of exclamation marks.

Yes Christy Moore Ah Jezz he really annoys me.
    He is a smug self Satisfing git, with his guitar and he is responsible for all those guys at parties who break out a guitar and expect everyone to be quiet and listen to their lame cover versions.
    Basil from Israel is one of my pet peeves, Israel is the last place I want to buy basil from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭angwd

Or turning Saturday into Saherday :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Losing to the All Blacks really pisses me off. And George Hook in equal measure

• Advertisement

Angwd, I made my peace with saherdeh, it doesn't bother me anymore.
    LukehandypAnts, do you buy Chinese garlic?

<snip> Basil from Israel is one of my pet peeves, Israel is the last place I want to buy basil from.

If you ever go to Aldi then have a look at the fruit and veg section and the country of origin, it is usually on the tag. It is like watching fukken miss world. Here come the bananas from the Dominican (banana) Republic, organic bananas from Belieze. Now I know we cannot grow them in Gorey but lettuce from Spain, tomatoes from Holland... FFS, I grew a lovely batch myself in my porch this year. Then I thought we were famous for our spuds but those little salad potatoes were not from Rush they were from ISRAEL!!! :eek: Oh my Yiddishe Momme!

Angwd, I made my peace with saherdeh, it doesn't bother me anymore.
    LukehandypAnts, do you buy Chinese garlic?

No, I get my garlic from my local organic farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

People who take ten minutes at the ATM. What are they doing? I never take more than a few secs.

People who take ten minutes to buy a LUAS ticket from the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

People who use 'retro' when they really mean 'old'.

People who use 'shabby chic' when they really mean 'old junk'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

The horses and carriages that go around Dublin City Centre at night with no lights on any part of the carriage, horse or driver.

Guards who allow the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

smeedyova wrote: »
    People who take ten minutes at the ATM. What are they doing? I never take more than a few secs.

People who take ten minutes to buy a LUAS ticket from the machine.

ATMs that let you ask for how much money you want then tell you it only has fifties and spits the card back out, making you start all over, sigh.

• Advertisement

I tend to notice language more than anything.
    A lot of people say 'dur', like the u in dull, not even 'dare', when they mean 'their'. I think it's just habit.
    I also noticed, on the radio this, people using 'then' when they mean 'than'.
    Also loved the way Anne Doyle used to say 'sexual'. We all say sekshuel, she said sek-syew-al.
    I hate 'claps' for 'collapse', 'kureer' and 'creer' for 'career' and fergal bowers on rte who says 'hospel' for 'hospital'.
    The expression'a big ask' is awful as is inTEGral. I prefer INtegral.
    And the amount of reporters and presenters who mistake the stressed syllable in protest, progress, increase and compact, to quote a few, is amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement