Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

HHobo wrote: »
    Chris Rock had a very funny piece about that. Perhaps you should let him know what an awful person he is. Afterall, he didn't consider the fact that he might offend some delicate little flower with his crimes against humanity.

Ah, the Chris Rock argument. How about the Richard Pryor argument, when he had his epiphany after visiting the African continent and realised that the word (even used in jest) was denigrating and vile. And Pryor was no delicate little flower.

who would shoot the comedian?

there can be satire in humour

why is it ok for a black man to say it and not a white man

know one shot the writers of South Park for the Naggers episode because it was completely engulfed in humouous satire

Sounds tasty. Seriously, though it's about context. IMHO, nobody should be using that word.

It's not amusing, it's vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

You're all ruining my thread.
    Get out!!

and people who think they own threads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭md23040

When you post on boards.ie and make a mistake then everyone knows you're a spelling or a grammatic numpthty because of the “last edited by” notation at the end of the revised draft.

Seriously annoying :mad:

• Advertisement

md23040 wrote: »
    numpthty

heh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Text from major corporations or official authorities with grammar or spelling errors. I expect a higher standard. For example, some bins in Galway have ads telling people to "be proud of the city your in."
    People who say "people that" instead of "people who".

Both are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

When you post on boards.ie and make a mistake then everyone knows you're a spelling or a grammatic numpthty because of the “last edited by” notation at the end of the revised draft.

Seriously annoying
    Last edited by md23040; Today at 19:57.

you annoy yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭md23040

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

you annoy yourself ?

Thanks - I'm macho- istic masochistic

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Last edited by md23040; Today at 20:07. Reason: bollox not again...

:D:D:D

Not making fun of you btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Which reminds me that honey is bee vomit, eggs are chickens periods, black pudding is pig blood...but youve tried these..yes?:)

Oh I don't mind weird stuff. But I draw the line at balls and brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

old hippy wrote: »
    Ah, the Chris Rock argument. How about the Richard Pryor argument, when he had his epiphany after visiting the African continent and realised that the word (even used in jest) was denigrating and vile. And Pryor was no delicate little flower.

to each their own, i like chris rocks humour

old hippy wrote: »
    Sounds tasty. Seriously, though it's about context. IMHO, nobody should be using that word.

It's not amusing, it's vile.

i will certainly agree with you that it is vile when used as a term of hatred

it can be a powerful tool to show people how ignorant they are though

sometimes humour can be better than the fist, peoples embarrassment can be used against them

it is a vile word though, when used for hatred

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

So you agree that racism is wrong but find it hilarious to slag off people with different colouration? That's annoying.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    So you agree that racism is wrong but find it hilarious to slag off people with different colouration? That's annoying.

maybe im not slagging them, maybe im slagging off the people who think that it matters

once turned around to a friend of mine who is a midget, he said fancy going for a pint i said im not drinking with you your a little drunk, he thought it was hilarious because it was well timed and no malice was intended

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I hate when people are uptight about words.

Additionally I hate when people think that cursing is "dumb" and shows a "low iq".
    Cursing is an expression of language, it's an extension of vocabulary and there are so many subtleties around it depending on context that are far more expressive than being PC.
    By choosing not to curse, you are actively omitting words from your vocabulary and probably doing so because you are avoiding taboos inadvertently promoting a stigma.
    By preventing people from cursing you are censoring ideas, concepts and opinions no better than your own.

As language evolves, peoples sensitivities evolve and so to does their ignorance. Why do comments like "fie" and "based" not offend anyone any more? Is it because you're ignorant, you don't find them "offensive" or you know better?
    Why is the word b*stard used so prevalently toward people who were born in wedlock? Because people stopped caring about "illegitimate" children.
    Why in this case does the word "f*ggot" insult gay people if no one really cares about them being gay?
    This is also true for the word "n*gger". All three of those words are used to degrade white, straight people, born under wedlock. Clearly they are tools of insult in this context and nothing more. They aren't disparaging against gay people or black people. Trying to insult someone because they are born out of wedlock is pointless because no one finds it offensive any more. Why is the same stigma applicable to gay people and black people when the majority of people don't care about their preference or "race"?

I'd like to add that I'm unhappy that I had to censor the "offensive" words I used above on boards.ie.

Edit: linking this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F_Word_(South_Park)
    A south park episode that highlighted this message through satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

El Guapo! wrote: »
    You're all ruining my thread.
    Get out!!

Says yer man who was arguing about overtaking - boring the heads off us all?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I had 1 post about that!!
    :D

that was me

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

El Guapo - apologies!:pac:

pitythefool - won't be overtaking you anytime soon :)

Ah lads sure it's all a bit of craic!

• Advertisement

you can overtake me as long as im in the inside lane, if i happen to be in the overtaking lane doing the speed limit i will not move in for you

you can overtake me as long as im in the inside lane, if i happen to be in the overtaking lane doing the speed limit i will not move in for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Fair play to you !!!!

Even at the speed limit of 120 on the N4 I feel bullied into the inside lane at times... it can be dangerous trying to squeeze in between cars on the inside when car behind is putting you under pressure by flashing their lights and swaying close behind you.

I know I shouldn't, but at times I am so furious that I resort to tipping the break for a bit of room.

Then when they do pass you they look right into your car and eyeball you like you have being doing wrong... i'm going maximum speed... sometimes breaking the limit slightly as it is!! Idiots!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Don't mention the war! They had all shut up about it... and now you've started it all off again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

• People leaving the fridge door open in supermarkets
    • People dumping perishable goods on shelves in supermarkets
    • People leaving their empty coffee cups on the DART, public transport
    • People ripping open boxes in supermarkets to have a look and rendering the item un-saleable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chinasea wrote: »
    • People leaving the fridge door open in supermarkets
    • People dumping perishable goods on shelves in supermarkets
    • People leaving their empty coffee cups on the DART, public transport
    • People ripping open boxes in supermarkets to have a look and rendering the item un-saleable

Do you work in retail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

fussyonion wrote: »
    Do you work in retail?

No, imagine that, I just hate waste..................................

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sadderday wrote: »
    Fair play to you !!!!

Even at the speed limit of 120 on the N4 I feel bullied into the inside lane at times... it can be dangerous trying to squeeze in between cars on the inside when car behind is putting you under pressure by flashing their lights and swaying close behind you.

I know I shouldn't, but at times I am so furious that I resort to tipping the break for a bit of room.

Then when they do pass you they look right into your car and eyeball you like you have being doing wrong... i'm going maximum speed... sometimes breaking the limit slightly as it is!! Idiots!!!!

You HAVE been doing wrong. Hogging the outside lane is illegal, it doesn't matter what speed you are doing
    Hitting your brakes for the craic of it is even worse, good lord
    Stop driving in the wrong lane and you won't have any trouble

Obligation to drive on the left and to use traffic lanes
    17.—(1) A driver shall drive as near to the left hand side of the roadway as is necessary in order to allow, without danger or inconvenience to traffic or a pedestrian, approaching traffic to pass him on his right and overtaking traffic to overtake him on his right.

edit: Of course, if there's clearly no room to move in on the inside, and the person behind you is still acting like a prick, they're a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

People who wipe their knife on their fork when they're eating.
    I.e, they stab a piece of chicken AND mash AND veg and wipe the knife against the fork to hold it all in place.
    Don't know why but it's always irritated me.
    Also people that turn their head slightly, at an angle, when putting the fork in their mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When the cover won't go on the duvet properly ...damn corners ( sigh) :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement