Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Nope, she's in the UK, only planning on ever going over to attend her funeral, whenever she pops her clogs. Gotta make sure they've buried her deep enough, just in case:D

Dump a load of rebar beside the grave. Act like you've no idea how it got there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I am not feeling the love here people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

deise08 wrote: »
    Serving a person who doesn't have the decency to get off their mobile and grunt at you when you tell them the price and expect you to pack everything for them God forbid they have to stop their conversation!

I hate those prix with a passion. Its even worse this time of year, all panic and stress cos they cant find a special present for little Timmy who has everything ( a good antibiotic maybe ). You could get him that noisy bastard donkey off the ad "are we there yet, are we there yet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

olddear wrote: »
    Oh God this is how I dress :eek:

Don't worry about it, annoyance is a subjective emotion.

Just wear a jumper or a jacket if you are chilly :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

Short sleeved shirts worn over long sleeved shirts... you're not on the set of Dawson's Crack or whatever that show was called.

So called 'co-workers' who shout at you, can't you see I'm on the phone. Would you ever f*ck off, ya tit.

There's always one tit person in the office who wants to borrow a pen and never leaves it back. Same with the fookin stapler, the guillotine, the white board markers, the cloth to wipe the whiteboard clean with, the pritt stick, the sellotape..... the fookin list just goes on and on.

Anyone who says, I'll run those numbers by you, or a variation of it, here's some numbers I want to run by you. How'd you like me to run my foot past your ass?

Probably said on here before, but just in case it wasn't, people who wear sunglasses indoors. Who do you think you are, Carlos The Jackal?

Supermarket 'managers', grrrrrrrrrr. In their little suits and ties and shirts, walking around like a pow camp commandant. That's a prisoner of war camp, not the ooohhh matron, type of camp.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The Commonwealth : I like a sporting championship like many , however when British athletics commentators say 'x' is the commonwealth champion in the context of a world championship where ' x ' doesn't even reach the final , is really annoying as its totally irrelevant in this context , look the empire is long gone, guys , get over it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

In the company of someone who is constantly checking their phone.
    I should have stayed at home.

MJ23 wrote: »
    In the company of someone who is constantly checking their phone.
    I should have stayed at home.

That p!sse$ me right off too especially a woman who I am on a date with, can you just hold on one minute, I have to go outside and take this call... hey take your coat with you, and foooookkkkkk right off. Or the otherone where they are checking their phones for texts, time for me to go to the jacks and climb out the window, she can pay the fookin bill, bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

The pyjamas brigade! Pjs are for the bedroom/house only not for doing the shopping in. When the hell did that become acceptable?

• Advertisement

deise08 wrote: »
    The pyjamas brigade! Pjs are for the bedroom/house only not for doing the shopping in. When the hell did that become acceptable?

Same as 45 year old women wearing ugg boots and who think they are cute and trendy. They're like sweat pants for feet, ladies, you've just given up at that stage. They look 'cute' if you are 10 years old, but at 45, who are you trying to fool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Trivial thing that annoys me (besides my nose and ear hair!)?

My own stupidity.

The batteries ran out on my nose and ear hair trimmer, so somehow I thought it'd be a clever idea just to run the five blade safety razor down the outside of my ears...

Mach Three - 1, Czarcasm's ears - 0

We got a bleeder! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Oops69 wrote: »
    The Commonwealth : I like a sporting championship like many , however when British athletics commentators say 'x' is the commonwealth champion in the context of a world championship where ' x ' doesn't even reach the final , is really annoying as its totally irrelevant in this context , look the empire is long gone, guys , get over it !
    That's got nothing on the NFL/NBA/Major League Baseball champions calling themselves 'World champions' - in baseball they even call the final the 'World Series'. Yes it's probably true that they'd beat any other team outside of North America quite easily in any of those sports, but it still doesn't make them 'World Champions' - can you imagine how much the rest of the country would cringe if Dublin and Clare were calling themselves 'world champs' in the GAA this year.

The one I love most though was the NBA in 2005. In the 2002 basketball world cup Yugoslavia (yes, somehow they are/were still 'a thing' in basketball?) beat Argentina in the final with the USA not even reaching the semis - and the year after Spain beat Greece in the final, with the USA finishing third. In the 2004 Olympics, Argentina had got the gold with Italy behind them - the USA only got bronze.

Now it is true that a lot of the USA's biggest names don't bother going to either tournament and don't take it seriously when they do - but the fact is these are the two 'world championships' of basketball and the USA was champions of neither. Yet they still openly called the 2005 Spurs world champions and even put it on the championship rings of the 2004 Detroit Pistons.

I just took a quite look, and the same is true with baseball - Cuba, and not the USA have dominated the baseball world cup, having won it 25 times compared to the USA's four. And from the little I know about baseball, Cubans and people from that general part of the world make up a pretty major part of the MLB league including several of the best players. Again, the Americans likely don't exactly put all their effort into these world cups, but the fact remains. Yet they still call it the 'world series' and the winners 'world champions'.

It's just irritating as f*** to me. It's not like the Australian rugby league champions call themselves 'World Champions' even though they absolutely dominate that sport (because nobody else pays much attention to it, because in my mind it's possibly the most stupid sport in the world :p , union's good though). This despite them having won 10-of-14 rugby league world cups, huge parts of other teams being made up of their cast-offs, and them having just beaten New Zealand 34-2 in the final a few weeks ago.

/rant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Standing, waiting for a petrol pump to be released and then realising you're a crim that can't be trusted to pump your petrol without paying in advance.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Standing, waiting for a petrol pump to be released and then realising you're a crim that can't be trusted to pump your petrol without paying in advance.
    I worked in a petrol station a few years ago - so many people try to drive off or get away without paying you wouldn't believe it.

Apparently in some countries in Europe you have to either pay in cash beforehand by default or swipe your card at the pump (apparently you can do both - works kind of like a sweet/soft drink dispenser), put in how much you want to buy, pay in advance... and then it will allow you to fill that amount, and stop the pump dead on what you've paid. Personally I think that's a great system, could cut down queues a lot in busy stations as well... and you never wind up finnicking about trying to land on a round number :D.

Can't see it happening over here though since it means you could top up without ever entering the shop (and inevitably picking up some random crap in the queue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Billy86 wrote: »
    I worked in a petrol station a few years ago - so many people try to drive off or get away without paying you wouldn't believe it.

Apparently in some countries in Europe you have to either pay in cash beforehand by default or swipe your card at the pump (apparently you can do both - works kind of like a sweet/soft drink dispenser), put in how much you want to buy, pay in advance... and then it will allow you to fill that amount, and stop the pump dead on what you've paid. Personally I think that's a great system, could cut down queues a lot in busy stations as well... and you never wind up finnicking about trying to land on a round number :D.

Can't see it happening over here though since it means you could top up without ever entering the shop (and inevitably picking up some random crap in the queue).
    There is or was an autopump down near Dingle afaik. Swipe, pick a number, stick the nozzle in, press go and it does the job itself.

My attitude is like it or not, the culture here is pump then pay, with only a minority of pay-at-the-pump services (which are a bit alien too to most people). If I pick up a pump and it isn't released in broad daylight, I can't help feeling a bit dirty. If a minority of garages want to fly in the face of the culture by sticking badly laminated A4 sheets next to badly laminated coffee promotion notices, they'll have to do it without my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

My attitude is like it or not, the culture here is pump then pay, with only a minority of pay-at-the-pump services (which are a bit alien too to most people). If I pick up a pump and it isn't released in broad daylight, I can't help feeling a bit dirty. If a minority of garages want to fly in the face of the culture by sticking badly laminated A4 sheets next to badly laminated coffee promotion notices, they'll have to do it without my business.

I'm sure they'll survive without you.

I worked in a petrol station for years. It's just not worth it to the cashier if someone drives off. Between wasting time with the gardaí, the management giving you grief, and your till not balancing makes it more stressful than having to listen to some indignant pr*ck rattle on about how they're not a criminal.

In terms of annoyance, it's on a par with people filling up their tank and then declaring that they can get it cheaper up the road and acting as if I, the cashier, have any say whatsoever in the setting of the fuel prices.

Supply and demand you idiot. Go down the road if it's cheaper and then maybe this station will reduce it's price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Probably said on here before, but just in case it wasn't, people who wear sunglasses indoors. Who do you think you are, Carlos The Jackal?

I got really embarrassed when I had to do that, I used to have an eye condition that required them.
    thecatspjs wrote: »
    I worked in a petrol station for years. It's just not worth it to the cashier if someone drives off. Between wasting time with the gardaí, the management giving you grief, and your till not balancing makes it more stressful than having to listen to some indignant pr*ck rattle on about how they're not a criminal.

A neighbour of mine had a really expensive drive off and was made to pay it out of his wages. It cost him more than his shift's pay.

thecatspjs wrote: »
    I'm sure they'll survive without you.

I have absolutely no doubt in the world that they will. That's why I don't sympathise with garage owners on drive-offs. It's an occupational hazard in the business.

I do, contrary to your assumptions, sympathise with the not very well paid staff and that's why I would never complain to them.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I hate when people leave the sitting room door open

You sound like my boyfriend's housemate.

Are you my boyfriend's housemate? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

I would imagine it is. But there are ways of making staff feel like they have too.

If someone gets petrol and comes into the shop but then leaves the shop without paying for the petrol, management don't consider it a drive off. Therefore your till will be down, which is a problem. That's why we asked everyone if they got petrol whether they drove in or not, just to make sure no one ''forgets''.

Also, if the management deem that the car that drove off was ''dodgy'' looking, meaning that the pump shouldn't have been released they might not consider it a drive off. Yet again, till will be down.

So no one is being made to pay for drive offs, but nobody wants their tills to be down.

I have absolutely no doubt in the world that they will. That's why I don't sympathise with garage owners on drive-offs. It's an occupational hazard in the business.

I do, contrary to your assumptions, sympathise with the not very well paid staff and that's why I would never complain to them.
    What about shops that stuff gets robbed from, be it supermarkets, jewellers or clothes shops? They take measures like putting certain things such as razors, expensive deoderant, the jewellery, etc behind glass cases and making you get a key for the changing room declaring the number of items you are trying on before letting you in.

Or banks getting robbed? They've added tons of security features to guard against this, perhaps most notably the double doors of (I assume bullet-proof?) glass that can be an inconvenience when you're in a rush.

Insurance companies getting hit with false claims? They now view any claim with huge scepticism as a result, and pass their administration fees of doing so back into the premiums of their entire customer base.

At the end of the day, it's theft. When theft of these types increase, measures are taken to guard against them rather than write them off as an 'occupational hazard' - it's that simple and it would be stupid not to. Not trying to sound abrasive here, I just don't see why petrol stations should be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

People commenting on how I wrap my presents.

Newsflash for you, it doesn't fúcking matter. They're going to be ripped open anyway, do you think anyone looks at a present and says "Well the present was shíte but at least it was wrapped nicely"
    No, no they don't.

What about shops that stuff gets robbed from, be it supermarkets, jewellers or clothes shops? They take measures like putting certain things such as razors, expensive deoderant, the jewellery, etc behind glass cases and making you get a key for the changing room declaring the number of items you are trying on before letting you in.

Or banks getting robbed? They've added tons of security features to guard against this, perhaps most notably the double doors of (I assume bullet-proof?) glass that can be an inconvenience when you're in a rush.

Insurance companies getting hit with false claims? They now view any claim with huge scepticism as a result, and pass their administration fees of doing so back into the premiums of their entire customer base.

At the end of the day, it's theft. When theft of these types increase, measures are taken to guard against them rather than write them off as an 'occupational hazard' - it's that simple and it would be stupid not to. Not trying to sound abrasive here, I just don't see why petrol stations should be any different?

It's about the accepted cultures and practises. If any of the above introduced a policy of frisking customers on their exit, I wouldn't support them either.

It's about the accepted cultures and practises. If any of the above introduced a policy of frisking customers on their exit, I wouldn't support them either.
    Asking you to pay in advance isn't like frisking you at the exit though, the equivalent to that would be following you to your car door and making sure no petrol had been taken.

What some of these stations are asking you to do is pay before taking the petrol out of the pump, the same way shops ask you to pay before taking the security tags off of the clothes/jewellery/etc. If they didn't you could just walk out of the shop with them, many times unnoticed - much like the protected pump, the security tag is a necessary anti-theft measure. Which is exactly why security tags were created and which was a change to the practises of the time in the 1960s/70s (took a really quick google search and sources vary). I am sure the odd few complained then about feeling 'accused' for no reason, but I am pretty sure that everyone now accepts that they make perfect sense and are more or less a necessity in many areas of retail.

Asking you to pay in advance isn't like frisking you at the exit though, the equivalent to that would be following you to your car door and making sure no petrol had been taken.

This is a rhetorical question as I have said all I have to say on the subject:

Would you pay for a pint before the bartender has pulled it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The use of the word "epic" really annoys me.

For example, this gig is gonna be epic.
    What an epic night.

Fu(k off.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement