Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

getting those wee bits of egg shell out of the bowl when you are making scrambled eggs.

Is there any other substance that holds on like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

People using umbrellas on crowded streets. Yeah, sure, you're lovely and dry, but everyone else has to dodge around you lest they get their eyes poked out, and you're siphoning all the rain into a lovely waterfall that will hit anyone who gets near you. And don't even start me on oulfellas with golf umbrellas on a crowded city street.

I bring a raincoat out with me, because I'm not a knob.

I must say, I did enjoy seeing people walking around with golf umbrellas in the gales yesterday. It was like they were all sailing on land.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Having a good stab at pronouncing an obscure Irish name of a child , eg fiadh , and being corrected by the mother , "actually it's fee-ah" she says with a stare , "actually , like I give a f***" , I say with my eyes !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Oops69 wrote: »
    Having a good stab at pronouncing an obscure Irish name of a child , eg fiadh , and being corrected by the mother , "actually it's fee-ah" she says with a stare , "actually , like I give a f***" , I say with my eyes !

I know someone with a kid named (not sure how it is spelled) Anus (that's how it is pronounced)

Titter ye not:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Aeneas I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Foggy.nelson

Fiadh is a made up name is what you shouldve said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Actually giving your child a w*nkery alternative name does not negate the fact that he is a thoroughly average little sh1t like all other progeny his age :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Actually giving your child a w*nkery alternative name does not negate the fact that he is a thoroughly average little sh1t like all other progeny his age :D

"Yes indeed Mrs. O'Domhnaill-MacGabhann, it is not unheard-of at all for children who appear to be as thick as bottled pigsh!t to be in fact highly intelligent, but is also at least mathematically possible that young Fíachra appears to be as thick as bottled pigsh!t because he actually is as thick as bottled pigsh!t!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Noticed it a lot recently on tv and just again again now on newstalk. Its irish people, americans , british etc doing it (and just now on the henry st stalls thread) :-) ). Saying 5 am in the morning. When else are these people doing things at 5am, in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Saw a thick cow driving down Suffolk St on her phone. At lunchtime.

• Advertisement

One I notice coming to the fore of late, is a tendency among some younger folk (chung wans I think someone described them as here on AH) to use the word "deffny" as in

Q: Are you going to Tiffany's party?
    A: Oh yeah, deffny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Noticed it a lot recently on tv and just again again now on newstalk. Its irish people, americans , british etc doing it (and just now on the henry st stalls thread) :-) ). Saying 5 am in the morning. When else are these people doing things at 5am, in the evening?

Another thing that annoys me is the mind-numbingly vacuous soundbite 'In Studio" Irish TV presenters tend to say. Joining me now 'in studio' is . . . . Like hello, we can see that you and your guest are in the studio, but thanks for pointing it out anyway, just in case we thought you were both 'In Car park' :)) and what happened to the word 'the'?

Its trivial, but it annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

getting those wee bits of egg shell out of the bowl when you are making scrambled eggs.

Use another piece of shell to do the fishing.

Speaking of eating....

Since when did Christmas dinner become known as 'Christmas lunch'????:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wet your fingers beforehand, should be much easier to grab them then

The tiny speck of blood that you sometimes see when you crack an egg. More gross than trivial I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

I get more annoyed at having to listen to the same old xmas songs every year. Why do places always have to keep playing them and its always the same bloody ones. Some of them I just plain can't stand like Shakin Stevens, Cliff Richard, etc but even the good ones like the Pogues I am sick listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

smacg wrote: »
    I get more annoyed at having to listen to the same old xmas songs every year. Why do places always have to keep playing them and its always the same bloody ones. Some of them I just plain can't stand like Shakin Stevens, Cliff Richard, etc but even the good ones like the Pogues I am sick listening to.

When was the last time a new song was added to the classic Christmas song list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    The darkness one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Bowlardo wrote: »
    The darkness one?

Oh god.

Thankfully I haven't heard it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

MJ23 wrote: »
    Oh god.

Thankfully I haven't heard it yet.

But they oh so humourlessly sing "bells end" loads of times :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"bells end" l
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I work in a small team of 5 in work and this year two will have to come in Friday the 27th, and the people with Kids always say the same thing to get out of it " ah well i have kids so it would be nice to have the day off with them with it being Christmas "

I don't give a F***********k if uv kids,strangely enough it be nice for me to have the day off aswell you c**t , So what if you have kids, i never made you have the little freaks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They use it like some get out of jail card, and we all know they only want it off cause they'll be doing the same as everyone else having a few beers Stephen's night,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Smith & Burrows 'When the Thames Froze' is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I work in a small team of 5 in work and this year two will have to come in Friday the 27th, and the people with Kids always say the same thing to get out of it " ah well i have kids so it would be nice to have the day off with them with it being Christmas "

I don't give a F***********k if uv kids,strangely enough it be nice for me to have the day off aswell you c**t , So what if you have kids, i never made you have the little freaks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They use it like some get out of jail card, and we all know they only want it off cause they'll be doing the same as everyone else having a few beers Stephen's night,

If they're allowed use their personal circumstances as a way to avoid work, then you should be able to do the very same -

"I don't have kids, so I'll be nursing a great big dirty hangover, I wouldn't be able to commit to performing at my usual expected level of excellence"...

Seems legit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

LordSutch wrote: »
    Another thing that annoys me is the mind-numbingly vacuous soundbite 'In Studio" Irish TV presenters tend to say. Joining me now 'in studio' is . . . . Like hello, we can see that you and your guest are in the studio, but thanks for pointing it out anyway, just in case we thought you were both 'In Car park' :)) and what happened to the word 'the'?

Its trivial, but it annoys me.

Or the other one, when a tv show presenter says, in front of a live studio audience, as opposed to a dead studio audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Frenzied, frantic, wild-eyed parents at the Christmas show put on by the kids that attend my daughter's creche vaulting over benches, tossing chairs out of their way, pushing and shoving, standing on tables and chairs throughout the performance thus blocking other parents view, all so they can video their little darlings murdering a few Christmas tunes while dressed as elves.

I get it, its cute to see them dressed up and singing out of key and time but what ever happened to, you know, watching it with ones own eyes and enjoying being in the moment, rather than fecking around recording it on a phone, and thus watching it all through a screen and being completely unaware of and inconsiderate of those around them trying to watch the show.

There were even a few couples with a form of recording device each, just to ensure they catch little Johnny's best angle I guess.

You should tell them you want the day off to make your own kids :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Vel wrote: »
    Frenzied, frantic, wild-eyed parents at the Christmas show put on by the kids that attend my daughter's creche vaulting over benches, tossing chairs out of their way, pushing and shoving, standing on tables and chairs throughout the performance thus blocking other parents view, all so they can video their little darlings murdering a few Christmas tunes while dressed as elves.

I get it, its cute to see them dressed up and singing out of key and time but what ever happened to, you know, watching it with ones own eyes and enjoying being in the moment, rather than fecking around recording it on a phone, and thus watching it all through a screen and being completely unaware of and inconsiderate of those around them trying to watch the show.

There were even a few couples with a form of recording device each, just to ensure they catch little Johnny's best angle I guess.

If you didn't video it how could you upload it to Facebook and also show everyone you ever meet the adorable video of your little darling :rolleyes:

People who parp on about capitalism and materialism and how we've lost the true meaning of Christmas. Fuuck off. Especially those who manage to get even that wrong - I overheard some totes amazeball birds nest head daddys credit card ugg wearing knob-end saying something to this effect...and finished with, "I mean, come ooooo-ooooon, it's Gods' birthday!" :rolleyes: Wanted to shove her uggs down her neck and throttle her with her extensions

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People who parp on about capitalism and materialism and how we've lost the true meaning of Christmas. Fuuck off. Especially those who manage to get even that wrong - I overheard some totes amazeball birds nest head daddys credit card ugg wearing knob-end saying something to this effect...and finished with, "I mean, come ooooo-ooooon, it's Gods' birthday!" :rolleyes: Wanted to shove her uggs down her neck and throttle her with her extensions

Ha, tis the season, peace and goodwill to all men (and women) even the orange ones with 'stensions:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement