Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Strange Boards users sending me weird PM's. Got a pm from someone with only 5 posts asking if they could ask me a question, not even someone who uses the same forums as I do. They then proceed to ask if it's ok to have more than 1 account. Then they sent me another pm the following day telling me that they've had previous accounts. I mean what the actual feck:confused:

You can report oddball unsolicited PMs Pumpkinseeds.

On a side-note, I hate when people do that - "Can I ask you a question?"

You just did! And then if you say "No", they get shirty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My brother, the 33 year old super-dependant man-child and his complete unwillingness to learn new skills. I'm home for Christmas so the laptop came with me. He's very excited about being able to go online and search for songs etc, and I dont mind him using it but I would like if he at least paid attention to me while I show him how to search for something. He gets this glazed look across his face as soon as I begin explaining it to him and I know the lights are on but the person has left home. Cue him pretty much following me around the house asking me to search for a song for him fifty fuucking times a day. I thought I would kill him yesterday. I was rushing around doing last minute shopping, eye tests, dog walking, cat cleaning blah blah and I swear every time he saw me he'd say "will you just do a search for me?" -raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! And to make it even worse, he's a real mammy's boy. As far as she's concerned, he can do no wrong so when I told her how annoying the whole thing is and how easy it is to just search for a song yourself do you what her response was?

...if its that easy why cant you just do it for him? :eek::eek::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You can report oddball unsolicited PMs Pumpkinseeds.

On a side-note, I hate when people do that - "Can I ask you a question?"

You just did! And then if you say "No", they get shirty!
    A much more irritating thing is "Can I ask a favour of you"
    "What is it?"
    "Im not telling you until you say yes or no"

A much more irritating thing is "Can I ask a favour of you"
    "What is it?"
    "Im not telling you until you say yes or no"

The Irish approach to asking a favour, noted with amusement by non-Irish.

"You wouldn't do x for me, would you?" :confused:

I tried explaining this to my OH and she thinks we're a bit mad.

Also on that, the other day we passed by two teens who were conversing in the usual "I was like, and he was like and then I goes" fashion and I made some throwaway comment about how annoying it is. Trying to explain to her, "well you see, these morons say "was like" when they actually mean "said" but it doesnt mean they like what they said, and sometimes instead of "said" they say (they're like) "I goes" but no it doesnt mean they went anywhere, just that they were like, you know saying something and then she goes wtf are you talking about?? And I was like, you know...um....ya. Totes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Jokes that begin with "Murphy", Like "Murphy walks in to a bar..."

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Jokes that begin with "Murphy", Like "Murphy walks in to a bar..."

And jokes that feature "Little Johnny" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My brother, the 33 year old super-dependant man-child and his complete unwillingness to learn new skills. I'm home for Christmas so the laptop came with me. He's very excited about being able to go online and search for songs etc, and I dont mind him using it but I would like if he at least paid attention to me while I show him how to search for something. He gets this glazed look across his face as soon as I begin explaining it to him and I know the lights are on but the person has left home.

I'm the exact same as your brother. Any time anyone is explaining something to me I instantly shut off! I have absolutely no idea why. Even if I really need them to explain it to me I'll still not listen. End up having to figure everything out myself.

I'm the exact same as your brother. Any time anyone is explaining something to me I instantly shut off! I have absolutely no idea why. Even if I really need them to explain it to me I'll still not listen. End up having to figure everything out myself.

Well at least you figure it out by yourself. He just follows me around like a toddler. When he stands there making repeated requests I can actually see his thumb in his mouth and a raggy teddy bear by his side :P Whats annoying is that its nothing to do with his comprehension abilities - I've seen him working out his wages/tax to the exact cent, but when he thinks someone will do something for him, he shuts down. He does the same with my mother with the kitchen appliances. Why learn how to differentiate between the toaster and the washinig machine when Irish mammy will do everything for you? Intellectual laziness thats all it is. And then she wonders why he cant meet a woman? Like trying to rehome a dog that hasnt been trained :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Seeing very similar threads on AH, relly starting to annoy me almost filling me with rage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Shop assistants on the till who put the receipt straight into the bag without asking.
    I prefer to have all my receipts in my wallet so I can take then out when home and not go rooting at the bottom of bags.

Well at least you figure it out by yourself. He just follows me around like a toddler. When he stands there making repeated requests I can actually see his thumb in his mouth and a raggy teddy bear by his side :P Whats annoying is that its nothing to do with his comprehension abilities - I've seen him working out his wages/tax to the exact cent, but when he thinks someone will do something for him, he shuts down. He does the same with my mother with the kitchen appliances. Why learn how to differentiate between the toaster and the washinig machine when Irish mammy will do everything for you? Intellectual laziness thats all it is. And then she wonders why he cant meet a woman? Like trying to rehome a dog that hasnt been trained :D

Sure what woman would look after him like his mammy:P

Mine used to iron our underwear and sock!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Well at least you figure it out by yourself. He just follows me around like a toddler. When he stands there making repeated requests I can actually see his thumb in his mouth and a raggy teddy bear by his side :P Whats annoying is that its nothing to do with his comprehension abilities - I've seen him working out his wages/tax to the exact cent, but when he thinks :D:Dsomeone will do something for him, he shuts down. He does the same with my mother with the kitchen appliances. Why learn how to differentiate between the toaster and the washinig machine when Irish mammy will do everything for you? Intellectual laziness thats all it is. And then she wonders why he cant meet a woman? Like trying to rehome a dog that hasnt been trained :D
    I think any jury would acquit you if anything 'happened 'in the next few days

Hint: a frozen turkey can be quite useful

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Shop assistants on the till who put the receipt straight into the bag without asking.
    I prefer to have all my receipts in my wallet so I can take then out when home and not go rooting at the bottom of bags.

On par with cleaning reindeer crap from the roof on Stephens Day:)

Oops69 wrote: »
    I think any jury would acquit you if anything 'happened 'in the next few days

Hint: a frozen turkey can be quite useful

I was thinking more along the lines of a ghost in the machine wind up. If I could figure out how to spook him by remotely accessing the laptop while he is using it and start typing really creepy messages. I'm thinking a picture of a banshee with a speech bubble saying, "Stop annooooooooying your siiiiiiiister. Remember those Japanese knives she bought your father? They're verrrrrrry fuucking sharp! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" hahaha :D Mam would have some job washing his pants then I can tell ya.

I will take this chance to wish you all a happy and peaceful Xmas.

Thanks for sharing your trivial annoyances with me throughout the year.

And just this once, if something annoys you on Christmas day, if the sprouts are too hard or the turkey is too dry ( or you are offered those goddamn mince pies "oh you will like these, they are from M&S" Piss off.

KEEP IT TO YOUR FUUCKEN SELVES

Have a good one and be nice to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I will take this chance to wish you all a happy and peaceful Xmas.

Thanks for sharing your trivial annoyances with me throughout the year.

And just this once, if something annoys you on Christmas day, if the sprouts are too hard or the turkey is too dry ( or you are offered those goddamn mince pies "oh you will like these, they are from M&S" Piss off.

KEEP IT TO YOUR FUUCKEN SELVES

Have a good one and be nice to each other

Bah humbug to you too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't hate mince pies, but they do kind of remind me of the dart championship yolkey that is coming up in a few weeks I think... so many people like them in my opinion, for no other reason that they have been brought up being told by everyone that they will like them.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I don't hate mince pies, but they do kind of remind me of the dart championship yolkey that is coming up in a few weeks I think... so many people like them in my opinion, for no other reason that they have been brought up being told by everyone that they will like them.

They are made from reindeer dung, food for the spawn of Satan, Santa, Santy oh FFS I give up:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

If they contained actual minced meat, I'd eat them :D

• Advertisement

The OH delightedly ploughed into one last year thinking just that - should have seen the look of horror on her face when she realised they are sweet not savoury. I totally agree - actual mince would be divine :P

Also... is it just the people I know, or are Irish people strangely freaked out by the concept of meat pies (because somehow, apparently, pastry has to always be sweet or some nonsense)??

Christ I love a good meat pie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

one4all gift cards! fcking useless

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what the **** are you talking about

Trivial things that annoy me: having multiple tabs open, resulting in me posting in the wrong thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

When the eye doctor says this might sting "a little", you weren't fcuking joking you prick! I can't fcuking see straight!

My eyes are gone all blurry, and I'd 15 mins to kill, what better way to spend and evening than having your eyeball poked and prodded :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 TJ Lazer

I'm probably the only one who does this. I stack big plates on top of small plates after empting the dishwasher. People who do the opposite annoy me. If I want a large plate, in most houses, the small plates are stacked on top of the big plates. I have to lift a stack of small plates so I can get to the big ones even though I rarely use small plates.

So whats the difference if I decide to stack the big plates on top of the small ones. Won't I still have to lift a big plate if I want to get to the small one which is vice a versa to the common method?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

TJ Lazer wrote: »

So whats the difference if I decide to stack the big plates on top of the small ones.

physics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

When the eye doctor says this might sting "a little", you weren't fcuking joking you prick! I can't fcuking see straight!

My eyes are gone all blurry, and I'd 15 mins to kill, what better way to spend and evening than having your eyeball poked and prodded :(
    A few years ago I'd to have a special test done on my eyes. They put God knows what in my eyes and I had to go back several hours later for the test. I'd absolutely no depth perception and my husband had to lead me around by the elbow for hours afterwards. Not fun.

• Advertisement

I had a procedure done a few months ago. She said I shouldn't feel it at all. She then proceeded to do it. I said "Oh actually I can feel it, it's really painful". She said "Don't worry, that's normal".

WTF? Two seconds ago you said I wouldn't even be aware it was happening!

Afterwards I said "It's actually still quite sore, should I be worried?". She said "oh that should go away almost immediately, it's totally normal". I was in pain for 4 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement