Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My OH and her fellow Brazilian friends thought that Penneys was something very different when they arrived here apparently. The way we say "Penneys" is the same way they say "Penís" and for a while there was a little confusion about what the store actually was.

"There's an even bigger penís on Henry Street" :P

My sister works with a Russian girl who thought that "Thanks, Penneys" was just an idiomatic/slang way of saying thank you in Ireland, because she heard so many women responding to compliments that way. It was a while before anyone explained to her I think, the lousy bastards

"I can give you a lift back later if you like, Irina"

"Oh thankspenneys!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

My sister works with a Russian girl who thought that "Thanks, Penneys" was just an idiomatic/slang way of saying thank you in Ireland, because she heard so many women responding to compliments that way. It was a while before anyone explained to her I think, the lousy bastards

"Oh thankspenneys!"

I've heard that so many times, always a friends sister, or a cousins colleague!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I just had my first one of them ten minutes ago. WTF like? :rolleyes:
    Maddening they are!

mauzo! wrote: »

Damn! Only time I've heard it, it was from my sister and I know the girl in question and she does speak a bit strangely in general so I believed it, but maybe I got suckered by a feckin urban legend.

Sure maybe everyone just knows Irina!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Or queue at the tool bridge at peak times to get to the kiosk AND THEN start to look for change. Drives me focking crazy every time. How hard is it to get the coins ready while you're queueing?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Or queue at the tool bridge at peak times to get to the kiosk AND THEN start to look for change. Drives me focking crazy every time. How hard is it to get the coins ready while you're queueing?

:D:D:D

krudler wrote: »
    Ah the stock "ah quiet now you know yourself" answer to the how was your Christmas question. I've heard it about two dozen times at work today.

The next person who asks me what I did for new years will receive the following reply:

Well you know, my OH is in her home country for a while and I'm back living with mammy like a saddo for a month because I'm too afraid to stay in our apartment alone - Larry Murphy and all that you know, and I pretty much spent new years absolutely twisted because I found out my OH's ex was staying with her (after she sent me a fb friend request just so that I would see the photos on her profile - viscious malicious bitch!) so when that happened I just said fuuck it I'm gonna sit here and drink this litre of vodka in a cheap plastic bottle from Spain and listening to Broken Things by Juliet Turner on repeat, interspersed with random bleary eyed viewings of Going Back by Dusty Springfield and wondering why my life is so **** (and why an old ESB ad can stir up a million times more emotion and suffering than an estimated bill) and now even my dog wont come near me because I spent hours snivelling into her fur and saying things like, "why is Mommy so stupid?" and hugging her and occasionally howling like a coyote - she's eyeballing me with suspicion now thinking um...I'm not really sure about you now... oh and of course, that all led to a red-eyed, emotionally drained hangover - so yes the whole thing was a complete **** and the new year just dumped 12 months of p1ss on me in one hour...and how was yours?(flash manic smile)

...I'll probably just smile and die inside a little as I say, "ah it was quiet enough but sure isn't that what you want" :mad:

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Genius.

The next person who asks me what I did for new years will receive the following reply:

And there was me being jealous of you guys with yer Finnish and Brazilian girlfriends.......

No look here Oldie, you will never get a husband with that attitude:D

Dig deep and get some venom for that and the likes of

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and the other ****e clichés:pac:

Sure she will be back before you know it

]

My own super-charged ability for procrastination, combined with the post-Christmas dulled mental abilities it's making my work go very slowly today. Seriously, I've been staring at the same PAGE of the same PDF on and off for an hour now. And to reward myself for finishing the paragraph and getting pen and paper out to start taking notes I'm making this post and going to get some tea, in the full knowledge that I'm going to be kicking myself when it gets to 9pm and I've about 2 hours of work done.

Anybody want to give me the gist of the specific implications of the wider cultural trend of post-feminism on film production in the 21st century?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My own super-charged ability for procrastination, combined with the post-Christmas dulled mental abilities it's making my work go very slowly today. Seriously, I've been staring at the same PAGE of the same PDF on and off for an hour now. And to reward myself for finishing the paragraph and getting pen and paper out to start taking notes I'm making this post and going to get some tea, in the full knowledge that I'm going to be kicking myself when it gets to 9pm and I've about 2 hours of work done.

Anybody want to give me the gist of the specific implications of the wider cultural trend of post-feminism on film production in the 21st century?

Yeah, women have become bigger gee bags than they used to be.

JOKE!!!!!!!

Yeah, women have become bigger gee bags than they used to be.

JOKE!!!!!!!

Sweet, I'll take the rest of the day off so! Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

"Oh thankspenneys!"
    mauzo! wrote: »
    Damn! Only time I've heard it, it was from my sister and I know the girl in question and she does speak a bit strangely in general so I believed it, but maybe I got suckered by a feckin urban legend.

Sure maybe everyone just knows Irina!

[off-topic] It's more than urban legend as we had a girl over from India at work for 6 weeks and she thought that "Penn-neeeys" was the Irish way to say thank you too! When she admired something, the wearer would go "Penn-neeys" :pac:

So it may be an urban legend but it also happens/ed. Is there a name for that?? :D

(edit - maybe we are the source of the urban legend!!!!! whoo hoo!! ;) )
    [back-on topic]

People who pull over to the side of the road, park, and leave their dimmed beams on! They are still blinding!

And FOG lights in any other conditions except fog.

Micras and Micra drivers.

The Conga

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭RedFormanFITA

The Conga

Oh dear god, I'm still having nightmares from it at our Christmas do. Who invented that, like seriously, what head wrecker came up with that dance, and more importantly what was he or she smoking at the time?:rolleyes:

Oh dear god, I'm still having nightmares from it at our Christmas do. Who invented that, like seriously, what head wrecker came up with that dance, and more importantly what was he or she smoking at the time?:rolleyes:

Well, it wasn't hash anyway, no self respectin smoker of the weed would be caught dead doing the Conga....far too energetic. Probably some kid in the 20's at wedding full up on cola and blue smarties

"Ah come come on and we can all do the conga..."

I have a better idea...go and drink some acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

That my shampoo and conditioner both run out at different times. :(
    Then not remembering if I need an extra shampoo or conditioner when they're on a 3 for 2 offer :(

Well, it wasn't hash anyway, no self respectin smoker of the weed would be caught dead doing the Conga....far too energetic. Probably some kid in the 20's at wedding full up on cola and blue smarties

"Ah come come on and we can all do the conga..."

I have a better idea...go and drink some acid.

Stoners always get the blame for inventing stupid things, it's an atrocious misrepresentation! The closest I ever got to an invention while stoned was a post-it with "Burritolasagne????" written on it. And then I got a bit distracted and just covered a few more post-its with question marks. Got a good laugh out of it the next morning though, could remember my friend saying "Quick, write that sh1t down, we're going to need to remember that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

These guys --> ;) :rolleyes:

Those absolute cunts fucking piss me off. Condescending bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

These guys --> ;) :rolleyes:

Those absolute cunts fucking piss me off. Condescending bastards.

;);););););)
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Our shop opens at 930. I get in at about 910. Cue the f@@king customers on my shoulder trying to get in with me... the alarn is beeping away. The lights are off but still you follow me in and then have the nerve to say "oh youre not open till 930?". The bodies are piling up out the back and starting to smell.

On a smaller trivial thing... lots of calls today...... "are you open?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The reading, training and leaving cert study log forums. What purpose do they serve other than to let people show off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

My OH and her fellow Brazilian friends thought that Penneys was something very different when they arrived here apparently. The way we say "Penneys" is the same way they say "Penís" and for a while there was a little confusion about what the store actually was.

"There's an even bigger penís on Henry Street" :P
    I had a similar situation with a Finnish ex.

Actually I was recently informed by a Polish girl that they say it the same way too. I'm beginning to think there's some sort of conspiracy going on where they're trying to get all the randy foreign women into their shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Fly tipping. We went for a walk today and strolling back through the park we saw a Lidl bag full of empty cans that someone had dumped and which were strewn all over the ground. FFS, there was a bin about 20 yards away. A 5 minute walk away is a recycle area for bottles and cans. Lazy bas*ards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

When I give items for free on adverts & the receiver doesn't even bother to leave me some good feedback!! And sometimes they don't even say thanks

TMI warning
    feeling the Period Monster warming up for a few gloves-off rounds with your poor little uterus
    and knowing you can't get to a chemist for solpadeine or your mate's house for weed in the next few days :(

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

when the only clean cup left in the press is a One Direction cup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

TMI warning
    feeling the Period Monster warming up for a few gloves-off rounds with your poor little uterus
    and knowing you can't get to a chemist for solpadeine or your mate's house for weed in the next few days :(

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

you can't get to a chemist for a few days? are you on the moon?

you can't get to a chemist for a few days? are you on the moon?

Pretty much, arse end of Clare :P nearest one is twelve miles away, I don't drive, and nobody in the house is back at work properly yet so they won't be passing one. I don't have the heart to ask any of them to make the trip especially, but in fairness my attitude might be a bit less considerate in a day or so...also there'll almost definitely be someone or other calling to the house who I can scab a couple smokes off to tide me over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

syngindub wrote: »
    when the only clean cup left in the press is a One Direction cup

why would you even have such a thing annoys me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement