Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

fussyonion wrote: »
    One for the ladies this............

When your blusher or powder compact crumbles into tiny pieces.

...or a little hole develops in the middle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

When people use 'being off the Fags' as an excuse for biting your head off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Oops69 wrote: »
    Sales advertising 'up to 50 % off nearly everything' then you go in and there's only 10 % off the good stuff and 50 % off an xxxl leather jacket or something nobody wants !

And then you go ahead and buy the fuucken jacket anyway:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

People who eat at their desks. Loudest munchers ever.They are usually eating hot smelly food which stinks up the whole office as well. It p*sses me off even more when they won't offer me some.

Emails that make me go "Wha...?". Email from the Hilton hotels. apparently I can stay in any Hilton for only Ł59. What is Ł?

Seriously though what is Ł?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

When people begin to use brackets in a sentence and the never put the second one in, I end up reading ahead too fast waiting for the end of the brackets that never comes. Example:

I went to the shop today (the same one i always go to and they didn't have what i wanted in stock so i went to another one.

Ahhhhh!!!!!

Yes, and people who misuse quotation marks by just shoving the rest of the sentence into the quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

People who moan about their kids, you know the kind, it usually happens in work and coming close to the weekend,

"Are you doing anything for the weekend?"
    "Probably go for a few pints tomorrow night, you?"
    "Oh I'd love to go for a few drinks but we can't with the kids *sigh* You're so lucky you can go out whenever you want, we can't! I'd love to go to the pub, I've not been out in ages"

So why have kids in the first place if all you are gonna do is moan about them? :confused:

"Da nine ninety nine train is now leaving for Galway, the nine ninety nine train is now leaving for Cork".........

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    "Da nine ninety nine train is now leaving for Galway, the nine ninety nine train is now leaving for Cork".........

Makes me want an ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If you're ever eating chips with a plastic fork and you stab a hard chip and one of the fork bits break, sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Other street bystanders taking schadenfreud from your own misfortune in the street: I was in Grafton Street in December, and wanted to give some disposable change to a charity collector. So, I approached a pair of them and dug into my pockets.........no coins would come out......then all of a sudden, my keys / usb stick/ coins /notes spilled out onto the street from my pocket....I made a donation to the collector who had patiently waited. This charity is not as aggressive as other more chuggy wuggy muggy charities mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Making toast and tea only to realise the milk is sour after you've taken a sip of the tea, I'm too fussy and don't like tea without milk or toast without tea :(
    On the plus side my sister got some toast and orange juice brought to her in bed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Being slightly too warm with a jumper on, but slightly too cold without it. Oh, the humanity!

I'm quite fussy about food myself, so I understand that people have a right to like what they like, how they like it. But it really gets on my nerves when someone comes to your house and is fussy, especially about their tea.

If I'm in someone's house, and they offer tea, I'll say yes and if it's not made my favourite way, I get over it. In fact, I'd expect that in another person's house it would be incredibly strange if they knew exactly how I like my tea. I say "just a dash of milk, no sugar", and any variation within those parameters is acceptable to me.

I have one friend who's incredibly fussy about her tea. "A bit of milk and sugar" she says. What she means is teabag first (she saw me do it backwards once by accident and insisted it was blasphemous, not as a joke), then water literally boiled a second beforehand, then let it brew for 3 minutes (it's fecking Barrys, it brews much quicker than that, but sure, if you want a load of bitter tannins that's up to you), then the EXACT amount of milk she likes, which apparently I never get right, then one teaspoon of sugar, not flat, but not heaped. It's gotten to the stage where I just give her the milk and sugar to do herself, but then I have to apologise because I'm not being very host-y.

It's like tea is this magical thing that lots of people think it's not only acceptable, but commendable, to be so fussy about that you can actually give out to a person that their way of making it is 'wrong'. Get over it and drink it, it's grand to like it your own way but surely a slightly different variation in making it is not going to instantly make it disgusting. It's still a very similar drink, just DRINK IT.

A woman I worked with was like that about her tea, she wanted only the tiniest bit of milk and very weak tea, every time I'd bring her in a cup she would complain so eventually I just brought everyone else a cup and told her to get her own cause I never do it right for her. You'd think if a colleague is nice enough to make you a cup of tea you'd accept what you're given and be grateful!

Then you have the over top foodie friends. I have a mate who tries to offer you the most exotic of foods every single time you call. The last time I was there, we had a choice of Kangaroo, Bear (steaks) or Ostrich. My OH opted for the ostrich, I went with the bear steak

Phone ringing.

People standing in my way when I want to make tea.

Overly helpful shop assistants.

The way that Lidl and Aldi never have a full compliment of cashiers.

The really strong piece of cheese close to the rind.

When bus drivers dont give you back your change receipt.

Being asked if I have any new years resolutions. Fuuck off, I'm perfect.

Sweaty joggers.

The way people mill around the reduced section in Tesco like it's the end of food as we know it.

Trying to find a shampoo and conditioner from an entire aisle of sh1te thats been tested on animals and will still make your hair dry at the end and greasy on top anyway.

Fat people sitting beside me/half on my place on public transport. Heave over your own side ya sweaty thing ya.

The little drop of liquid that spills down the side of a mug after you have taken a drink, no matter how tighly you held your lips to it.

The nauseating smell of nacho cheese in the cinema.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Tasden wrote: »
    A woman I worked with was like that about her tea, she wanted only the tiniest bit of milk and very weak tea, every time I'd bring her in a cup she would complain so eventually I just brought everyone else a cup and told her to get her own cause I never do it right for her. You'd think if a colleague is nice enough to make you a cup of tea you'd accept what you're given and be grateful!

I have a friend who did exactly the same thing so she makes her own tea in my house now.

How would i know how to make tea properly, i only drink coffee because i'm not someones 70 year old grandmother.

Anyway, something that really annoys me as someone who both works in retail and obviously uses shops is people faffing about when it comes to paying.

Don't wait until you've been told what you need to pay to start rummaging about in your purse/handbag/manbag/wallet for your chosen payment method while the person behind the till has to stand there watching you while the queue behind you gets longer.

Did it surprise you that you'd actually have to pay for your goods so that's why you didn't have the cash or card ready?
    How is it so hard to find your card/cash/wallet in something that you've been carrying on your person all day?
    Why do you treat using a card pin-pad as something you've never experienced in your life before. every. single. time?

Anyway, something that really annoys me as someone who both works in retail and obviously uses shops is people faffing about when it comes to paying.

Don't wait until you've been told what you need to pay to start rummaging about in your purse/handbag/manbag/wallet for your chosen payment method while the person behind the till has to stand there watching you while the queue behind you gets longer.

Did it surprise you that you'd actually have to pay for your goods so that's why you didn't have the cash or card ready?
    How is it so hard to find your card/cash/wallet in something that you've been carrying on your person all day?
    Why do you treat using a card pin-pad as something you've never experienced in your life before. every. single. time?

Or when it comes to say 16 euro and they stand counting out coins and you can tell by looking at what they have they will never make it to 16. After a painful two minutes of counting to say 7 euro, they give up and hand over a twenty :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm quite fussy about food myself, so I understand that people have a right to like what they like, how they like it. But it really gets on my nerves when someone comes to your house and is fussy, especially about their tea.

If I'm in someone's house, and they offer tea, I'll say yes and if it's not made my favourite way, I get over it. In fact, I'd expect that in another person's house it would be incredibly strange if they knew exactly how I like my tea. I say "just a dash of milk, no sugar", and any variation within those parameters is acceptable to me.

I have one friend who's incredibly fussy about her tea. "A bit of milk and sugar" she says. What she means is teabag first (she saw me do it backwards once by accident and insisted it was blasphemous, not as a joke), then water literally boiled a second beforehand, then let it brew for 3 minutes (it's fecking Barrys, it brews much quicker than that, but sure, if you want a load of bitter tannins that's up to you), then the EXACT amount of milk she likes, which apparently I never get right, then one teaspoon of sugar, not flat, but not heaped. It's gotten to the stage where I just give her the milk and sugar to do herself, but then I have to apologise because I'm not being very host-y.

It's like tea is this magical thing that lots of people think it's not only acceptable, but commendable, to be so fussy about that you can actually give out to a person that their way of making it is 'wrong'. Get over it and drink it, it's grand to like it your own way but surely a slightly different variation in making it is not going to instantly make it disgusting. It's still a very similar drink, just DRINK IT.

Apparently the amount of milk my grandfather used to take in his tea was to dip the teaspoon in the jug of milk and then dip this in the cup of tea. He was blind, so maybe his taste was more developed than usual. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

You can never get the second eye as perfect as the first when putting on eyeliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Drivers blocking the path by trying to sqeeze another car into their drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Womens Little Christmas...what a farce.

You can never get the second eye as perfect as the first when putting on eyeliner.

Do your bad eye first and match the one you usually get perfect to that one.
    That or use a credit card as a ruler and flick at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Then you have the over top foodie friends. I have a mate who tries to offer you the most exotic of foods every single time you call. The last time I was there, we had a choice of Kangaroo, Bear (steaks) or Ostrich. My OH opted for the ostrich, I went with the bear steak

I would like this actually! How was the bear steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

krudler wrote: »
    If you're ever eating chips with a plastic fork and you stab a hard chip and one of the fork bits break, sigh.

As an extension to this, hard bloody chips. The type that could have done with an extra 5 minutes in the oven/deep fat fryer instead of being barely indented when you go to eat the damn things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

kfallon wrote: »
    People who moan about their kids, you know the kind, it usually happens in work and coming close to the weekend,

"Are you doing anything for the weekend?"
    "Probably go for a few pints tomorrow night, you?"
    "Oh I'd love to go for a few drinks but we can't with the kids *sigh* You're so lucky you can go out whenever you want, we can't! I'd love to go to the pub, I've not been out in ages"

So why have kids in the first place if all you are gonna do is moan about them? :confused:

For the sense of moral superiority it bestows on you when dealing with the big issues which means if you're arguing with somebody who is childless you automatically win by being able to say 'Well, as a parent…'. If you had kids, you'd understand…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Emails that make me go "Wha...?". Email from the Hilton hotels. apparently I can stay in any Hilton for only Ł59. What is Ł?

Seriously though what is Ł?

Lira? Is that a currency? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    P
    When bus drivers dont give you back your change receipt.

I much prefer this, it annoys the sh1t out of me getting reciepts for things like a can of coke or something mundane. Clothes, dvds, electronics, anything thats a an actual purchase you might change or return, fine I need that, but I'm hardly gonna return a bar of dairy milk or a bottle of water now am I? I just horse them in the shop bin straight away its such a waste, the centra near me only gives you a reciept if you ask for it, much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

krudler wrote: »
    I much prefer this, it annoys the sh1t out of me getting reciepts for things like a can of coke or something mundane. Clothes, dvds, electronics, anything thats a an actual purchase you might change or return, fine I need that, but I'm hardly gonna return a bar of dairy milk or a bottle of water now am I? I just horse them in the shop bin straight away its such a waste, the centra near me only gives you a reciept if you ask for it, much better.

A change receipt is what you're owed from what you paid for the fare. Let's say you're fare is €1.85 and you pay €2 then you'd get a receipt of €0.15 instead of the actual change. You can get them reimbursed somewhere (can't remember where - it's been a while since I used Dublin Bus).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement