Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

The way T.V. chefs plate up their food. They hunch over it with their nostrils just inches away from the meal. Are they all short sighted ? The worst is Rankin whose fringe is always threatening to brush the garnish off the top of the mashed spuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When people go on about living "in the real world" or refer to others living in "Neverland".
    When people say "Absolutely" instead of just saying, "yes I agree". Those people are generally the people who act like nodding dogs when you are explaining something as well. They tilt their head slightly and just nod saying "Yeah. Yeah. Of course. Absolutely."
    Irish people referring to "the press" instead of cupboard.

hahahaha, "I'm just going to put the "messages" in the "press" :D

Also people who use the word "literally" to describe something that didnt happen. "Like, I literally exploded with laughter." Stop it! Literally is the only word we have left to assure us what you are saying is true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Really trivial...almost embarrassingly so:

When there is no consistency in the left-right positioning of the hot and cold taps in the house.

Downstairs; the cold tap in on the right on the kitchen sink, and on the left on the utility sink.
    Upstairs; the cold tap is on the right in the en-suite basin, on the left in the bathroom basin and on the right on the bath.

This inconsistency has been true of every house in which I've ever lived. It drives me demented.

(Sad, but true.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Tisserand wrote: »
    When you are paying for your stuff at the till in a supermarket and the person behind you has already loaded their stuff onto the belt and squeezes out past you with their trolley and stands behind you while you are paying with laser or visa and trying to hide your pin number and feeling rushed! Drives me nuts.

This reminds me of when yesterday I went to LIDL for the first time to do some grocery shopping (mad place, totally different atmosphere from Tesco where I usually make a bee line for the self service because shopping stresses me out and I just want to get out asap!).

But I got to the checkout behind a lady who had a full trolley of stuff, and normally I'd have got the twitchy eyeball, but she asked did I want to go ahead of her as I only had a few things in the bottom of a massive trolley; "not at all" I said, surprised at how relaxed I was! :D

I put my stuff up on the belt anyway and stood out to the front and my son went off to put back the trolley while we waited (handy having him actually as my wife usually does the grocery shopping so he knew where everything was!).

The lady finished packing all her stuff, thanked me (unnecessary, but polite at least, something else that's a rarity in Tesco) and left.

I might just go to LIDL again instead of Tesco. Tesco is more efficient but LIDL is more relaxing, which is a bit of a contradiction given that Germans are notorious for their efficiency and the British are known for, well, their lack of efficiency! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When there is no consistency in the left-right positioning of the hot and cold taps in the house.

Downstairs; the cold tap in on the right on the kitchen sink, and on the left on the utility sink.
    Upstairs; the cold tap is on the right in the en-suite basin, on the left in the bathroom basin and on the right on the bath.

This inconsistency has been true of every house in which I've ever lived. It drives me demented.

(Sad, but true.)

I've been thinking about this now for a few mins haha..I think all of ours are on the same sides...:confused: Somewhat related are those annoying first few minutes of a shower where its too hot...increase cold...still too hot...increase cold some more...still too hot...turn down hot...bloody freezing! It's just playing feckin mind games with us! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this now for a few mins haha..I think all of ours are on the same sides...:confused: Somewhat related are those annoying first few minutes of a shower where its too hot...increase cold...still too hot...increase cold some more...still too hot...turn down hot...bloody freezing! It's just playing feckin mind games with us! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

My mate who's been here in London for at least a year and still won't get a mobile, so we have to call his RoI mobile :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Was in an alternative shop in the UK years ago and an underage kid was pestering the sales assistant(who was about 19), about piercings that he was too young to buy. It was quite entertaining watching him show off to his mates while she spoke with her friend and ignored him. Eventually she put her hand on her friends arm to halt the conversation, turned to the kid and said '**** off and die'. How I wished that I had a job that allowed me to do that to customers.:)

Just realised that I posted this in the wrong thread, was meant to be in best insult thread, oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

A friend shared a link on a page from some teachers' interest group complaining about how unfairly they are being treated by Croke Park 2. The thing that annoys me is there's spelling and grammar mistakes in a load of their statuses. I know it probably shouldn't really matter (and tbf it doesn't seem to overly concern them) but you'd think the people educating our kids and correcting their homework might have some grasp of punctuation and the like.

This was a status put up recently.
    ASTI Fightback.

Dear general secretary,

In your speech to CEC this year you outlined scarily accurately the cuts that the government were going to look for in the up coming talks. The vast majority of which are contained in these new proposals. You stated that the ASTI was better to be in these talks than to be out of them and that we should not think for one second believe that remaining on the outside will prevent the cuts.

How did entering the talks work out for us?
    You said the clear priority from the talks was to regain the single pay scale for teachers? Where is the single pay scale resulting from these talks.

You stated that get government would target S&S, they did.

You said the government would look for an extra hour, well they have gotten 2hrs 15 extra because we are now not being paid for S&S anymore,

We could go on and on. Strangely you also said that these talks may well break down given the extremity of the cuts that were involved, if you thought that these cuts were revolting then why did you not walk out.

Interestingly you also stated that what we come out of the talks with may be totally unpalatable and we could end up recommending a no vote. Well lets see you and standing committee put your money where your mouth is and recommend a NO VOTE that is if you believe that these cuts are indeed disgusting and unpalatable.

ASTI Fightback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Since the start of the recession, or maybe that's when I started to notice it, every news broadcast has that screen shot of the pages and pages of ten euro notes being manufactured.

Every news report, without fail. That or some bank official counting out €50's on top of €50's. I don't know about the rest of you, but for me it's pure mean showing that everyday!

It's like putting a big lump of cake on the news every day, when you're on a diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭ronjo

(Sad, but true.)

Even worse for me is having two separate taps.

WTF is wrong with having one tap that you can set as hot or cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,361 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

* Couples who walk with their hands in each others back pocket.

* People who don't say "thank you" when you hold the door open for them.

* People who don't maintain eye contact with you when talking to you (constantly checking phone, or some other menial task)

* People who p*ss up the inside lane of the motorway and then ram their car inbetween two cars with f**k all room between them

* Chris Moyles

* RTE's penchant for taking someone else's idea for a programme and doing a sh*tty version of it

* Radio adverts where they simulate two people having a conversation..
    "Oh what's that number again?"
    "It's 555.."

* Advertisements which ripp the p*ss out of men, as if its acceptable now to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

That one piece of pasta that sticks to the bottom of the saucepan, bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Trying to access your smart brain for important info when you've had a few beers, and failing miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Media trying to push a celebrity as a sex symbol, sex kitten, bombshell etc when they are nothing of the sort.
    Selena Gomez for instance, she looks about 10 years old.
    Ke$ha, you'd find crack whores that are more attractive.
    Anne Hathaway, looks like Miss Hathaway from 'The Beverly Hillbillies'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I really hate it when people lean over fresh food counters, especially when the foods are uncovered. Was going to get some fish from the fresh fish counter in the supermarket last week but the woman in front of me had her elbows resting on the short glass partition and was bent over it. I didn't bother in the end as her virtually being on top of the fish and coughing over it, without covering her mouth just disgusted me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When you're typing something in work, someone comes from behind and stands by your shoulder and you instantly turn into a typing fool.

I can't type or spell when people are watching me!

As soon as they leave I can blitz out the emails no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Reverse racism on Irish factual TV programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

the guy in the supermarket, who realises, just as the cashier is totalling his shop, that he forgot something, says "oh sorry i forgot something, i won't be a minute", and fúcks off for ten minutes to get sometning trivial, like an apple......asshóle.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Other people's holiday photographs, especially when they have to talk you through each photo and listen to a detailed account of everything in the photo, down to the genealogy of the cat that happened to stray into the background when the photo was being taken. I find this insufferable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

when you buy something new online and have it paid for and immediately see it for 20/30 euros cheaper somewhere else, thats sucks balls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Quandary

The phrase "get over yourself"

I've never understood what it meant. Anytime I hear someone say it to anyone I always ask what it means but no one seems to know.

I bothers me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

The GUI of all the software I use frequently is becoming darker and darker with every new release. The new Photoshop is nearly completely fucking black! It gives me a headache looking at the damn thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

The GUI of all the software I use frequently is becoming darker and darker with every new release. The new Photoshop is nearly completely fucking black! It gives me a headache looking at the damn thing.

Have you used Windows 8 and the new Office 2013?

So much glaring white space I had to go back to Windows 7 and Office 2010.

Adobe CS is a dream to work with for me tbh, now if only they could offer a dark skin for boards touch, that'd be lovely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You drop something small and it lands just in under the couch, furniture etc then when you try to retrieve it you end up pushing it completely out of reach with your fingertips. Drives me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Guffy

Quandary wrote: »
    The phrase "get over yourself"

I've never understood what it meant. Anytime I hear someone say it to anyone I always ask what it means but no one seems to know.

I bothers me...

Get over yourself

gufc21 wrote: »
    Get over yourself

I knew I'd get a bite sooner or later :)

so go on, tell me what it means....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Saying "Get over yourself" is basically like saying "It's not all about you" or "the world doesn't revolve around you."
    You should stop thinking about yourself all the time because it's not all about you.

Saying "Get over yourself" is basically like saying "It's not all about you" or "the world doesn't revolve around you."
    You should stop thinking about yourself all the time because it's not all about you.

That's what I would have thought it meant too but anytime I hear people say it, it's used completely in the wrong context!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Quandary wrote: »
    That's what I would have thought it meant too but anytime I hear people say it, it's used completely in the wrong context!

Yeah I agree, people use it in the wrong context all the time :L Including myself at times :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement