Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"your man did a complete 360 and changed his mind"

Em, if he did a 360 he's facing the same way.. don't you mean 180?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

People mixing up then/than and you're/your.

Actually saw somebody end a sentence with "...than your a retard", cracked me up. It's not even being a grammar nazi, it completely changes the meaning of a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

e_e wrote: »
    People mixing up then/than and you're/your.

Actually saw somebody end a sentence with "...than your a retard", cracked me up. It's not even being a grammar nazi, it completely changes the meaning of a sentence.

yes and also when people say "are" instead of "our". I've noticed an increase in this lately. It really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

when you open a door, and meet someone coming in the opposite direction. courteously, you stand aside to let them through first, when some ignorant bítch from behind you pushes her way through........ "why i oughta....!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Probably been said by now... but that bloody heart shaped thing the youth of today do. Gareth Bale, any teenage girl "caught" on camera and people at sh1tty Trance Festivals. I wanna crush that love heart so much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Quandary wrote: »
    That's what I would have thought it meant too but anytime I hear people say it, it's used completely in the wrong context!

My gran says, "ah you're suffering from a dose of yourself" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My gran says, "ah you're suffering from a dose of yourself" :confused:

I think she's saying you're the sh¡ts which by understanding of slang means you're fücking awesome. Unless that actually only works in the singular (i.e. you're the sh¡t) and the plural means something far sinister…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

People who don't return their shopping trolleys, they just leave them and drive away. Supermarkets and builders merchants should all agree to the two euro deposit even the child carrying ones so they all return them safely and not scattered across free car parks ready to roll away into parked cars. The Fu@king Bast@rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That ridiculous face that anyone with a pierced tongue pulls all the fúcking time, you know the one where they double over their tongue and stick the piercing out between their teeth. It looks kind of like a mixture between severe mental retardation and actually having a stroke.
    It's disgusting:mad:

That ridiculous face that anyone with a pierced tongue pulls all the fúcking time, you know the one where they double over their tongue and stick the piercing out between their teeth. It looks kind of like a mixture between severe mental retardation and actually having a stroke.
    It's disgusting:mad:

People with tongue piercings.

• Advertisement

Real Life wrote: »
    yes and also when people say "are" instead of "our". I've noticed an increase in this lately. It really annoys me.

Oops, guilty as charged :D

I think I have always pronounced them the same. (Sitting at the desk making weird faces now trying to remember how I say them)

Is it meant to be "owwww-er" and "aaaaar"?:)

last week I heard my lec saying "ooore" and I thought, that cant be right lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

When people say "filum" instead of "film".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

When people say "filum" instead of "film".

My old Irish teacher reckoned that came from Irish - in Irish you have words like "gorm" and you pronounce an extra vowel in the word to make it easier to say... it crossed over into English speech here and so we have words like "filum"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

RainMaker wrote: »
    and so we have words like "filum"...

It's not a word! I think you did that on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

It's not a word! I think you did that on purpose.

I've tried saying it to myself five or six times now and I can't go from the "l" to the "m" fast enough or something, it's like unconsciously I've always pronounced it "filum", woeful conscious of it now though! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I think I have always pronounced them the same. (Sitting at the desk making weird faces now trying to remember how I say them)

There's no strict rule really. In the past in Ireland, "are" would've been more commonly pronounced in the same manner as "bar" and "car," (and still generally is), whereas "our" would've often been heard sounding the same as "hour."

You still hear both, but it seems to be now more common to hear "our" pronounced the same way as "are."

That sound generally seems to more common in modern Irish accents: see "ArrTÉ is the state broadcaster of Arrland," whereas I personally would say "AwrTÉ" is the the state broadcaster of Ireland."

None of these pronunciations is wrong, though you may like or dislike some of them.

"Our" pronounced as "oor" would be quite common in parts of Northern England and Scotland.

What's a "lec" though?

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I've tried saying it to myself five or six times now and I can't go from the "l" to the "m" fast enough or something, it's like unconsciously I've always pronounced it "filum", woeful conscious of it now though! :o

That's why I skip the whole debacle and just say mahovie.

What's a "lec" though?

A talking fridge. It's very posh.

There's no strict rule really. In the past in Ireland, "are" would've been more commonly pronounced in the same manner as "bar" and "car," (and still generally is), whereas "our" would've often been heard sounding the same as "hour."

You still hear both, but it seems to be now more common to hear "our" pronounced the same way as "are."

That sound generally seems to more common in modern Irish accents: see "ArrTÉ is the state broadcaster of Arrland," whereas I personally would say "AwrTÉ" is the the state broadcaster of Ireland."

None of these pronunciations is wrong, though you may like or dislike some of them.

"Our" pronounced as "oor" would be quite common in parts of Northern England and Scotland.

What's a "lec" though?

Sorry, my lazy way of saying lecturer (actually another word I stumble over - lecturuuuuur lol)

Czarcasm wrote: »

that kind of happens me with car. A colleague pointed it out a while ago. It's almost like 1.5 syllables :rolleyes: Not quite ca-ar but not car either. It's a bit of a lilt on the ar or something. I dunno. I never noticed before and now that he has pointed it out, it annoys me that I cant say it right. Might switch to "ve-hi-cal" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

RainMaker wrote: »
    My old Irish teacher reckoned that came from Irish - in Irish you have words like "gorm" and you pronounce an extra vowel in the word to make it easier to say... it crossed over into English speech here and so we have words like "filum"...

On the flip side, I get annoyed when Irish words are pronounced as if they're English. Eg, Niamh pronounced Neeve instead of Nee-uv or Liam pronounced as Leem instead of Lee-um.

Also, when people often bitch on After Hours about RTÉ presenters' pronunciation of words like An Garda Síochána, when they actually tend to pronounce it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I didnt really mean the way its pronounced though as that can understandably differ from place to place but when people are spelling it out and getting it wrong.

Something I've noticed on this forum a few times, and its starting to grind.

You wait in a queue.

And sometimes you might chime in with something, right on cue.

Cue someone chiming in with their 2c. Possibly from a queue.

Que is Spanish for 'that', if anyone's wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

when you're driving on a narrow road, and the guy coming in the opposite direction, rather than wait at the wide spot, keeps on coming, forcing both of you to nearly have to go up onto the fúcken ditch just to pass each other.....and hes usually driving a bmw.

razorgil wrote: »
    when you're driving on a narrow road, and the guy coming in the opposite direction, rather than wait at the wide spot, keeps on coming, forcing both of you to nearly have to go up onto the fúcken ditch just to pass each other.....and hes usually driving a bmw.

I've noticed recently a huge rise in the number of dickheads driving Audi A4 and A3. Where as before the person cutting me off or overtaking me dangerously was usually driving a BMW, they all now seem to be driving Audi. Is there any reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭pitythefool

I've noticed recently a huge rise in the number of dickheads driving Audi A4 and A3. Where as before the person cutting me off or overtaking me dangerously was usually driving a BMW, they all now seem to be driving Audi. Is there any reason for this?

because Audis are awesome

Now get out of my way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Weak electric hand dryers annoy the **** out of me.

Might as well replace them with a tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Candie wrote: »
    Something I've noticed on this forum a few times, and its starting to grind.

You wait in a queue.

And sometimes you might chime in with something, right on cue.

Cue someone chiming in with their 2c. Possibly from a queue.

Que is Spanish for 'that', if anyone's wondering.

I saw a sign years ago in a Post Office, "Please Q here".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It really bugs me when I forget to click the confirm order bit when I do an online shop with tesco. It usually happens when I'm tired, I see the bit where it tells me they're delivering between x and y o'clock and in my mind I think I've confirmed the order.

There have been a couple of occasions now where I've been waiting for the delivery only to realise that I haven't actually placed the order:o Why can't they just have the delivery time confirmation after you've placed the order?

• Advertisement

Real Life wrote: »
    I didnt really mean the way its pronounced though as that can understandably differ from place to place but when people are spelling it out and getting it wrong.

Ah, ok :D

This next admission might belong in "unpopular opinions" rather than "trivial things that annoy you" but I believe that most people who say "then" instead of "than" are actually doing it on purpose even though they know its wrong. I dont know why, but I am convinced of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement