Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

People that whistle in the office - nobody is every happy enough to justify whistling especially at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

With all this talk about pronunciation, accent, dialect, etc., has anyone noticed how British TV seems to have a preference for presenters and guests who won't make the slightest effort to pronounce "R"? We have Junaffun Woss, Kwis Packham, that ex-Blue Peter wan, Cawole Thatchah, etc., etc., not to mention noomehwus politicians and woyalty. I remember endless debate about "regional" accents on TV and how the world would end if the audience was ever exposed to them but why does British TV deliberately hire pweesentaz who can't / won't pwonounce thehh ahhhz?

When I asked this question in the UK, I was admonished for mocking the afflicted but why is this "affliction" largely confined to the South of England and to those who immitate their accent? Could it be........acquired? If it IS a natural deformity, why haven't hoards of speech therapists decended to the Home Counties to make their fortune? Should Microsoft produce a QWEHTY keybawd, a la left-handed scissors and can openers?

Oh, and how come these "afflicted" people CAN manage to turn the word "drawing" into "drorring"?

God, some people is thick! Why can't they be like me like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

BrensBenz wrote: »
    With all this talk about pronunciation, accent, dialect, etc., has anyone noticed how British TV seems to have a preference for presenters and guests who won't make the slightest effort to pronounce "R"? We have Junaffun Woss, Kwis Packham, that ex-Blue Peter wan, Cawole Thatchah, etc., etc., not to mention noomehwus politicians and woyalty. I remember endless debate about "regional" accents on TV and how the world would end if the audience was ever exposed to them but why does British TV deliberately hire pweesentaz who can't / won't pwonounce thehh ahhhz?

When I asked this question in the UK, I was admonished for mocking the afflicted but why is this "affliction" largely confined to the South of England and to those who immitate their accent? Could it be........acquired? If it IS a natural deformity, why haven't hoards of speech therapists decended to the Home Counties to make their fortune? Should Microsoft produce a QWEHTY keybawd, a la left-handed scissors and can openers?

Oh, and how come these "afflicted" people CAN manage to turn the word "drawing" into "drorring"?

I want to thank this twice lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

stoneill wrote: »
    Buying new light fittings and they are screw in types. Now there is a mix of bayonet and screw bulbs in the spares drawer.

Add to this, those spiral energy saving bulbs are utter PANTS. Two of them broke in my hand recently, no pressure applied to them. Shame, because they look nicer than the long ones! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

American calling Paddys day, Pattys Day.

Fock off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

People calling Patrick's Day Paddy's Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

People calling St. Patrick’s Day Patrick’s Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Drives me nuts when they pronounce Ireland, as Island.

It's similar with their L's.

Phew Mitchew
    Miuwow (Millwall)
    Footbawe
    Beau (Bill)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

MJ23 wrote: »

Drives me nuts when they pronounce Ireland, as Island.

It's similar with their L's.

Phew Mitchew
    Miuwow (Millwall)
    Footbawe
    Beau (Bill)

And none of those come close to being as bad as Ruth being pronounced "root"...

And as for those fools who have a sore "troath"??? How the fûck do you manage to mangle throat into that monstrosity?????

Usually it's the same thickos who say "height" with a "th" at the end and pronounce modern as "modren".

Imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi only allowing €2.00 coin being used in their trollies !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

People calling St. Patrick’s Day Patrick’s Day

Ha.

He actually was called Patrick, though, not Paddy. I've (thankfully) never heard anyone say Paddy's Street or Stevie's Day

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aldi only allowing €2.00 coin being used in their trollies !
    Didn't realise that. 20c works in lidl

When i go to drop a deuce in a public facility and my penis accidently touches the cold wet inside of the pot if i sit too far forward.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Ha.

He actually was called Patrick, though, not Paddy. I've (thankfully) never heard anyone say Paddy's Street or Stevie's Day

Actually he was called Patritius or Patercius but his really name was Maewyn Succat. None of those are as snappy as St. Patty's Day though…

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

People who drive straight through pedestrian crossings without looking to see if there's anyone walking across them.

Patty referes to a female, ie: short for Patricia. Paddy is short for Patrick. Pat is unisex.
    So St Patrick's day shouldnt be shortened to Pattys day because the guy was a dude.

Patty referes to a female, ie: short for Patricia. Paddy is short for Patrick. Pat is unisex.
    So St Patrick's day shouldnt be shortened to Pattys day because the guy was a dude.

He wore a long dress though so I can see where the confusion sets in.

He wore a long dress though.
    As was the style of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Oh they had designers then!

For the Romans maybe. Check out this picture:

http://www.historic-uk.com/assets/Images/saintpatrickpreaching.gif?1317746336

The Celtic men are all wearing mini-skirts or cheeky off the shoulder numbers and along comes Patricius looking fabulous with his designer hat and long flowing robes, just like the women behind him. No wonder some people think he was a bit girly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

People who loudly snort snot back down their throats instead of blowing it, or worse spit it out:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

People stand beside you at the urinal and try to strike up a conversation and tutting or someone rolling their eyes at you rwally gets on my wick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aSligoDub

The introverted idiots over the pond with their "World Series"......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Every time I go to up to the ticket machine at my tram station there's ALWAYS someone standing in front of it. They're never buying a ticket, they're always just blocking it. Once there was a couple with a pram, completely blocking the place. Another time there was this dopey-looking woman just standing right in front of it with her mouth open.

WHY!? There's a HUGE platform (with a fecking roof, it's not like the ticket machine's the only thing protected from the rain) for you to stand on. WHY do you have to stand in front of the thing that people actually NEED if you're not using it?

At least I get to yell angrily at them in German.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The talk of the TV Chefs a few pages back reminded me. I really hate those chefs (Nigel Slater especially) who humanize ingredients - staying stupid stuff like how mustard and bacon "really get on well together".

There were a few spoof TV Chef shorts called Posh Nosh broadcast a few years ago that used to do this too, but now when it's being done for real it's a real annoyance.

Ironically a lot of Northern England accents barely roll the R and it's seen as a problem yet completely dropping Rs and Ls as they do in the South is fine for TV apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

When a member of the public decides to drop trou and defecate on the footpath in broad daylight.

Made all the worse by the fact that she was twice the size of her skinny boyfriend who was trying to give her coverage! The definition of "futile exercise" right there!

"When you have to go, you have to go!" he was shouting. This was in the doorway of a restaurant for Christs sake, and a hotel only a few yards away!

Reminds me of the time I was out on my balcony for a smoke and spotted a chap who thought nobody could see him behind a wall, pulling the skeleton out of himself. I shouted down to him to stop playing with himself and I was nearly sorry I did because his reaction was like he'd just developed a spastic colon.

He quickly pulled back up his pants, adjusted himself and just walked on as if nothing had just happened!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

People that block an esclatator. It's wide enough for 2 people, ya know.

Reminds me when I was in Japan, Everyone stands on the left, walkers on the right. You could tell everyone on the right were businessmen. Anywho long story short one of them gave out to me one day has my huge luggage bag was blocking the right side. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Digs wrote: »
    People who use the word epic all the time.

And the word amazing.
    People get "amazed" at the most mundane things these days.

• Advertisement

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    And the word amazing.
    People get "amazed" at the most mundane things these days.

That's why I just use amazeballs. It's a totes better word when you're having the bants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement