Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    No they're not. Now Kool Kutz, they're kool.

Oh, wow that is cool I mean kool.:)

Knex. wrote: »
    Main RTE football commentator, his name evades me now, but he pronounces Cazorla as 'Cat-orla'. Bugs the **** out of me.
    Every Spanish name is drawn out, Torrezzzz, Shuarezzzzzzhhh etc. Gets on me nerves something serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Hashtags

Especially in something like "beat the mighty Pa in a drinking contest #banter #beast #14pints3vodkas #iamtheking" and especially in that last one where several words are merged together into only ugly scrambled egg of letters

Worse still is when it seeps into platforms other than Twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Hashtags

#iamtheking and especially in that last one where several words are merged together into only ugly scrambled egg of letters

But occasionally it comes up trumps like when Susan Boyle's Album Launch had the hashtag #susanalbumparty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

People who ask questions all the time.....
    ....not because they want to know the answer, but because they have nothing to say themselves.....

Its like, they cant think of anything to say, so they just ask you questions instead.

In other words, they want you to carry the conversation.

And then when you get bored of this rigmarole, you are the one at fault for being rude ....."I'm just trying to make conversation"....no you're not, you're asking me to do it because you can't/ won't.

• Advertisement

As a writer I need to research stuff, sometimes online, other times I need to speak to professionals in various 'fields.'
    Some years ago I contacted the Garda Museum for some simple historical information. When they eventually bothered to reply, it was to refer me to the PSNI.
    They answered immediately, and even invited me to visit Belfast, where I would be provided with all the information/documents I needed.

On another project and needed the advice of a Locksmith as what I had written was somewhat technical. It 'sounded' legit, but still...I wanted it to be accurate.
    I printed out what I had written for him to cast his professional eye over. I offered to pay but he said there would be no charge for his help. I gave him my phone number, email address etc.
    When he didn't contact me as promised I called to his shop a few times, and he had either lost the pages (which I replaced more than once) and he 'would get back to me'.
    That's three years ago and not word yet.

As a locksmith at the Garda museum, I find your post offensive on a number of different levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

That sign on the back of a truck "Do not pass on inside if truck is turning left". Why the fcuk would anyone attempt to do this :confused:

egan2020 wrote: »
    That sign on the back of a truck "Do not pass on inside if truck is turning left". Why the fcuk would anyone attempt to do this :confused:

Never underestimate people's stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 BigBraveBear

It Really annoys me...... this new trend of people leaving lines of dots......in their paragraphs......for no apparent reason.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Butter in the jam.
    Wet spoon in the sugar bowl leaving little brown bits.
    People that don't know the difference between taught and thought
    The 'TH' thing again, saying Thailand as thigh-land and height as heithhh.
    Shop assistants who ask me if im OK.
    People that use my alarm clock tone as their ring tone.
    Driving in the overtaking lane on motorways / dual carriageways, keep left unless overtaking knobheads!
    People who put their seat back on short flights.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

xabi wrote: »
    The 'TH' thing again, saying Thailand as thigh-land
    whats wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Knex. wrote: »

Main RTE football commentator, his name evades me now, but he pronounces Cazorla as 'Cat-orla'. Bugs the **** out of me.

George Hamilton. Other notable names he got arseways were Patrick Kloovert, Jan Molboo and my favourite Juup Stum.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

The worst is when someone spills jam on the counter and doesn't clean it up.
    Then, a few hours later, it's dried into the counter, and my hand always happens to land on the spot where it is. It does be all sticky. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In an empty room (waiting room etc) and bursting for a good fart. All clear, you let one fly. Within seconds someone walks in, then it's just a matter of time till they catch your stinking drift and start giving you the stinking eye. :o

tunedout wrote: »
    whats wrong with that?

Oh dear, because its tie land not thigh land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Siam.

Only kidding :p

Czarcasm wrote: »

Siam.

Only kidding :p

You win

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rosb

People who spread their newspaper over 'my side' of the table on a train. I want to accidently kick them in the shins as I settle myself in my seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

Ok picture the scene - your waiting on a lift from ground floor to your apartment on the fifth floor. Some lazy ****ehawk gets in the lift with you and presses the button to go to floor one.

Like taking two short flights of stairs is going to cause a triple bypass procedure!

Old people and women with buggies get a pass.

I know what you mean, but I was in my early thirties, and suffered a back injury, I I could walk normally on level ground, but going up and down stairs was agony. I used lifts for one floor, even though I HATE lifts

wasnt it a bit silly to spell it with a 'th' then....

I'll be honest, I've been to Thailand a few times and I've always called it Thigh-land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

People who sign their posts with their username.

Retrovertigo.

In an empty room (waiting room etc) and bursting for a good fart. All clear, you let one fly. Within seconds someone walks in, then it's just a matter of time till they catch your stinking drift and start giving you the stinking eye. :o

It's the same in a supermarket. The trick with farting in a shop is that you have to wait and let it settle to walk away from it or else it will follow you around. You find an empty aisle to drop one out and you're waiting for settle down period when someone walks right into it and mutters a gypsy curse at you as they pass by you. Now, I know I'm in the wrong because I've just unleashed the noxious gas but it's annoying getting caught.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    wasnt it a bit silly to spell it with a 'th' then....

I'll be honest, I've been to Thailand a few times and I've always called it Thigh-land.

I hurts my head when i hear it pronounced like that, what about Thomas or Theresa or Thames, im sure there are others, the h is aspirated after the consonant.

Its tie not thigh
    its tom ass not thumb ass

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hurts my head when i hear it pronounced like that, what about Thomas or Theresa or Thames, im sure there are others, the h is aspirated after the consonant.

Its tie not thigh
    its tom ass not thumb ass

It's neither: it's "Thomas."

A trivial thing that annoys me: quibbling over minor differences in pronunciation (which don't affect one's intended meaning) in a language with few globally-accepted standards of pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

Those Laya healthcare ads with the closeups which make the actors look like gimps. Do I really need to look at someone's nostril hair for fifteen seconds?

Also people who say "simples" or "no bothers". Please FOAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Jazzmaster wrote: »
    Those Laya healthcare ads with the closeups which make the actors look like gimps. Do I really need to look at someone's nostril hair for fifteen seconds?

Also people who say "simples" or "no bothers". Please FOAD!

Man, I hate when people don't foad clothes properly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

When events that happen in soaps are reported as news.

'Eastenders Phil Mitchell's trial starts today'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

4 Pics 1 Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

It's solpadeine, not solphadeine - there is no h, there never was a h. IT'S SOL-PA-DEINE!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Aren't you very culturally educated. Maybe move off to 'tie land' altogether and i'll continue to call it Thigh land and everyone will know what I mean.

And from now on, I'm going to make an extra effort to pronounce the h in 'Thames'. Going to hold my tongue between my teeth and making the nicest longest h hiss everytime.

A 'h' exists, and so it shall be pronounced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement