Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

People who refuse, point blank, to try something new.

tunedout wrote: »
    Aren't you very culturally educated. Maybe move off to 'tie land' altogether and i'll continue to call it Thigh land and everyone will know what I mean.

And from now on, I'm going to make an extra effort to pronounce the h in 'Thames'. Going to hold my tongue between my teeth and making the nicest longest h hiss everytime.

A 'h' exists, and so it shall be pronounced.

Excellent idea. From now on, I shall refer to Ireland as I-REE-Land :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

old hippy wrote: »
    People who refuse, point blank, to try something new.

Yeah, my missus won't either. :(

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

People at the checkout who decide they forgot something and go back down the shop and the whole process grinds to a halt:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Those ****ing stainless steel mass catering jugs and tea pots. I dont ****ing care how ****ing low a price the **** things are being produced at. A tea pots or jugs single solitary function is to pour liquid into a bowl or a ****ing cup. Pissing the liquid down the side and all over the ****ing table is unacceptable!! ****ers!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

andym1 wrote: »
    People at the checkout who decide they forgot something and go back down the shop and the whole process grinds to a halt:(

Yes. Those ****ers as well:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

People on FB who bang on and on about their fitness level/ achievement.

"Just back from a 583km cycle".
    "Really feeling the burn from a bla de bla session".
    "Anyone else looking forward to the big arm wrestling meet in Ballina this weekend?".

I just don't care and don't understand why anyone beside the poster would...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Traveling on an escalator when the person in front of you reaches the top/bottom and then just stands there!!. Where do they think we are all going to go!!, same thing for lifts.

Also when aul wans stand directly in the door of a shop yapping and then give you the stink eye when you try and manoeuvre around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

It has probably been mentioned before but when someone outside of a queue asks a friend of theirs ahead of you to get them something.

pisses me off more than it should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Going along in the car listening to the radio and a good song comes on. And then the other person decides to sing along, badly, and ruins the whole fecking song for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Rasheed wrote: »
    Going along in the car listening to the radio and a good song comes on. And then the other person decides to sing along, badly, and ruins the whole fecking song for me.

If your the driver you can kick them out, if your passo, STFU drivers rules:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

People using a butter knife, then dip that knife into a jar of jam. Who even has those together?

People leaving out milk or butter, instead of putting them back into the fridge.

People drinking out of said milk carton.

People who talk on their phones while being served by a sales assistant, also people who aren't mannerly.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

xabi wrote: »
    Oh dear, because its tie land not thigh land

Ahh FFS! My Dad corrected me on this years ago and told me I was saying it wrong and needed to pronounce the TH. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

People who put butter in the fridge - it's no use to anyone when it's hard as stone. Just leave it on the kithcen counter / table in a covered butter dish and everyone is happy. It won't go off, I live alone and never put butter in the fridge and it doesn't go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    People who put butter in the fridge - it's no use to anyone when it's hard as stone. Just leave it on the kithcen counter / table in a covered butter dish and everyone is happy. It won't go off, I live alone and never put butter in the fridge and it doesn't go off.
    In fairness, where abouts in Tesco do you normally find the butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

People using a butter knife, then dip that knife into a jar of jam. Who even has those together?

Buttery knife into jam is fine. It's the jammy knife into butter that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

selfish people who put bollards outside their house, makin it impossible to pull in if you meet a car coming the other way, asholes

The neighbours who leave all their rubbish in black plastic bags, rather than bins. Most weeks it's strewn all over the path after the foxes have got at it. And the same neighbours who have two big huskies in their small flat who don't give them enough excerise but do let them foul the pavement. And their teenage sons who flick their fag ends over the wall into our garden. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Bus Eireann Wi-Fi service.

Just tried it there now and after I went through the five minute registration process, it opens touch.boards.ie in a frame in your browser so they can fit in an inch width header advert overhead, making the touch site look like you'd open it on a desktop.

Feck away with that shìte! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

guttenberg wrote: »
    If your the driver you can kick them out, if your passo, STFU drivers rules:D

Ah I'm too polite, I just sat there suffering. Feck my good manners anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Daithio12

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Yea what's even madder is the people who produce butter putting a notice on the product saying to "keep refrigerated", I mean like wft is that all about???.

Have you never heard of butter dishes???.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Buttery knife into jam is fine. It's the jammy knife into butter that's the problem.

Its not fine, that will make the jam go mouldy. Jam shouldnt go mouldy too easily because the sugar preserves it. Its the cross contamination that will cause it to go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

mormons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Re "Thames/Thailand:" The generally-accepted standard pronunciation of both is with a silent "h," but the pronunciation of the "h" is so common that it's not really considered an error. They're also understandable because in most words with "th," the pronunciation is different from "t" on its own (as in "bath" and "bat").

Similarly, the "h" is usually pronounced in the name "Thomas," but it's quite acceptable not to pronounce it, particularly in many American accents.

What's crucial about all of these variations is that the meaning is still clear. I don't think pronunciation is important as long as it's quite clear what you're saying.

It's also problematic to pronounce certain pronunciations as "correct," as pronunciation is inextricably attached to accent.
    Americans, for example, tend not to pronounce the "h" in words with "wh" like "white" and "whistle." For many of them, there's no difference between "Wales" and "whales."
    Similarly, some British accents will pronounce "th" differently to Irish accents. Many Irish people don't even distinguish between "th" and "t."

I believe pronunciation should only be important in cases where deviations from the norm make it difficult to understand a person. Some important pronunciation issues I've asked been asked about by students recently include: "live" and "leave," "want" and "won't," and, crucially, "can't" and "c*nt."

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deise111

People who crunch apples or crisps or any food actually when they are on the phone. It's like someone standing beside you and chomping in your ear. Disgusting.

• Re "Thames/Thailand:" The generally-accepted standard pronunciation of both is with a silent "h," but the pronunciation of the "h" is so common that it's not really considered an error. They're also understandable because in most words with "th," the pronunciation is different from "t" on its own (as in "bath" and "bat").

Similarly, the "h" is usually pronounced in the name "Thomas," but it's quite acceptable not to pronounce it, particularly in many American accents.

What's crucial about all of these variations is that the meaning is still clear. I don't think pronunciation is important as long as it's quite clear what you're saying.

It's also problematic to pronounce certain pronunciations as "correct," as pronunciation is inextricably attached to accent.
    Americans, for example, tend not to pronounce the "h" in words with "wh" like "white" and "whistle." For many of them, there's no difference between "Wales" and "whales."
    Similarly, some British accents will pronounce "th" differently to Irish accents. Many Irish people don't even distinguish between "th" and "t."

I believe pronunciation should only be important in cases where deviations from the norm make it difficult to understand a person. Some important pronunciation issues I've asked been asked about by students recently include: "live" and "leave," "want" and "won't," and, crucially, "can't" and "c*nt."

No, it isn't. The t is never supposed to be pronounced in Thomas. The only people I've ever heard pronounce it are D4 types trying to overcompensate, having been brought up to think that not pronouncing 'th' makes you sound common. Sometimes you're really not supposed to pronounce it. It sounds 100 times worse to my ears for someone to say 'thigh' when they meant 'Thai' than the other way around. I think it's because it's so pretentious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

No, it isn't. The t is never supposed to be pronounced in Thomas. The only people I've ever heard pronounce it are D4 types trying to overcompensate, having been brought up to think that not pronouncing 'th' makes you sound common. Sometimes you're really not supposed to pronounce it. It sounds 100 times worse to my ears for someone to say 'thigh' when they meant 'Thai' than the other way around. I think it's because it's so pretentious.
    So it's 'homas'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

People leaving out milk or butter, instead of putting them back into the fridge.

People drinking out of said milk carton.

People who talk on their phones while being served by a sales assistant, also people who aren't mannerly.

:(

Christ, it's like you read my mind :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Do you mean the "h?"
    Regardless, you're not "supposed" to pronounce it any particular way. "Thomas" and "Tommas" are both very common. I personally don't care how someone pronounces it as there's barely any difference in the sound.
    The same goes for "Thailand." In fact, even though I know the generally-accepted standard pronunciation is not to sound the "h," I was so used to pronouncing it phonetically as a child that I still find myself sometimes pronouncing the "h."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Kneehigh socks on Neymar.

When combined, with pink boots you gotta wonder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement