Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I hate when people use Americanisms in Ireland. That's if they're not American, of course.

"Awesome" is one of my biggest pet hates. "Mom" instead of ma or whatever etc.

I also hate Bipolar instead of manic-depression. It's akin to euphemisms like Jolly instead of Fat!

This
    Also, douche or dude just sound wrong when an Irish person says them.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Planemo wrote: »
    This
    Also, douche or dude just sound wrong when an Irish person says them.

Yes! Douche especially annoys me. Dude too, but will forgive if it's quoting Bill & Ted.

"69, dudes!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

The only "internet" phrase that annoys me is "And so it begins". Unfortunately it's popular here on boards. It really grates on my nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

pmcmahon wrote: »
    People who use full stops when it should be a comma.Should be shot.

exaggeration,

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Eesh :o

When you're standing at the bus stop and this black guy says to you "Man you're fly!". You think he's giving you a compliment and you thank him politely and look the other direction.

Then you realise he was politely alerting you to the fact that your zipper was undone :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

pmcmahon wrote: »
    People who use full stops when it should be a comma.Should be shot.

People who don't leave spaces after their full stops. They should be hung by their arms from a height and have their bare feet tickled. That'll teach them.

I also hate Bipolar instead of manic-depression. It's akin to euphemisms like Jolly instead of Fat!

Bipolar Disorder is the accepted medical term for manic depression, it's not a euphemism. It distinguishes it from Major Depressive Disorder or Unipolar Depression. Jolly is not the accepted medical term for being fat, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

People (usually online) who use the word "disingenuous". It drives me mad - dunno why.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

What gets me is people who dislike food with out ever trying it, I have a few relations who are like this and if we go out for a meal it's always the same proxy place, because they won't like x restaurant even though they have never been inside the door.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The only "internet" phrase that annoys me is "And so it begins". Unfortunately it's popular here on boards. It really grates on my nerves.
    The one that's getting on my nerves is "Thinly veiled _________ thread", which has gotten really common of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

joe stodge wrote: »
    What gets me is people who dislike food with out ever trying it

I used to be like this, but slowly coming around. Fish (outside of safe stuff like cod), coffee, and pâté have been conquered. I'm not ready to take on mushrooms yet though. Gross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Denny M wrote: »
    The one that's getting on my nerves is "Thinly veiled _________ thread", which has gotten really common of late.

I think 'Thinly veiled .....' has eased off a bit since the poll about it. One thing that annoys me is the 'Popcorn anyone?' Or any mention of getting popcorn in anticipation of a thread. It's not original and it's not a bit funny.

Rasheed wrote: »
    I think 'Thinly veiled .....' has eased off a bit since the poll about it. One thing that annoys me is the 'Popcorn anyone?' Or any mention of getting popcorn in anticipation of a thread. It's not original and it's not a bit funny.

The sandwich jokes annoy me. Not because I'm outraged by their sexism but because they are completely unoriginal and using them makes you look like you're completely devoid of anything approaching wit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Rasheed wrote: »
    I guess that's just the way of the internet, nothing dies easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

whispering on adverts on radio or tv

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

When walking into or out of a building and there is a person around 10 yards in front of you. They decide they're going to hold the door open for you. You then have to break into a jog to get to the door. I know they're just being nice, but I'd rather not have to start running just to help someone feel good about themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭silenceisfoo

Footoo wrote: »
    When walking into or out of a building and there is a person around 10 yards in front of you. They decide they're going to hold the door open for you. You then have to break into a jog to get to the door. I know they're just being nice, but I'd rather not have to start running just to help someone feel good about themselves.

In case you were wondering why they do it, the person was probably being polite and mannerly. not so much about making themselves feel good but rather being considerate of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In case you were wondering why they do it, the person was probably being polite and mannerly. not so much about making themselves feel good but rather being considerate of others.

I actually play a game with my friends where we see how far away you can make a person feel guilty and force them to hurry while you hold the door

VinLieger wrote: »
    I actually play a game with my friends where we see how far away you can make a person feel guilty and force them to hurry while you hold the door
    Sort of like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Plastic food packaging - you know the thin film of plastic on top of fresh meat, ready meals etc, the ones that have an extra bit on the corner for you to peel it off? How come this never works? You go to peel it off and all you get is the border off it while the rest of the plastic stays tightly shut. You then have to grab the knife and slit through it to open it! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

please prepare to push the trolley off the conveyor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Firblog

It Really annoys me...... this new trend of people leaving lines of dots......in their paragraphs......for no apparent reason.....

I do that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Firblog wrote: »
    I do that...

Why...

...?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hococop wrote: »
    i hate that so much seen it a few times where i shop in a queue of 5 to 6 people and the guy at the back usually buying a paper jumps ahead and leaves the 1/2 euro on the counter, of course nobody including myself ever calls people out for it,

not sure if this bothers anyone else but again when in a queue mainly the 10 items or less checkouts, the person in front of me might be queueing for a few minutes just standing there , and when they eventually get served and the one or two items they have are totalled up, only then do they decide to get out their wallet/bag/purse etc. and start rooting for change or notes and granted it may only take 30 seconds to get the money but it bugs me so much i mean you have been standing there a couple of minutes and you only have one or two items, you could have easily estimated a total in your head and got the money out in advance,

And of course the related one when you're queuing at the ATM and finally when the person in front gets to the ATM only then do they start rooting around for their bank card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

One afro-austrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 gives a bite baby

On done deal, instead of removing the car when its sold some people decide to write on there add soldsoldsold!!!! And the like . Is this some kind of bragging I don't know but it annoys me .

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Bipolar Disorder is the accepted medical term for manic depression, it's not a euphemism. It distinguishes it from Major Depressive Disorder or Unipolar Depression. Jolly is not the accepted medical term for being fat, is it?

Until a few years ago, no one I knew used bipolar instead of the alternative. A lot of people started using it as they do not like to say manic depression, they find it too jarring. That's what annoys me, and why I said it's akin to those euphemisms. Perhaps that's just people I know though, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Property tax threads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

God daum property tax. Yaw, Im probably looking at something loike a grand next year, yaw? Will probably just do the two trips abroad now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

People who write 'cajones' [furniture drawers] when they mean 'cojones' [testicles or bravery].

The infallible mnemonic is that the correct spelling has two round "o" in it, in imitation of a pair of testicles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement