Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

smash wrote: »
    Women doing their makeup on public transport. I'm not talking about a touch up, I'm talking about start to finish. There's a girl in front of me who's just painted herself orange!

Start singing oompa loompa see if see cops on:p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I really get annoyed when I see comments on Youtube, no matter how many thumbs up or down it's received, that someone has found inflammatory so they mark it as spam. Even if I disagree with the comment, I fucking HATE seeing it marked as spam just because someone else disagrees with it. It happens more and more, even with "top rated comments".

I also hate the word "addicting". Some people insist it's a transitive verb, but I can't acknowledge it. The word is "addictive". In a similar vein, when business types say "incentivise", which seemed to appear in the early 2000's. It sounds awful and jarring; surely it's almost as easy to say "to give incentive" and it sounds so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I find it so annoying when movies put the credits at the start of the film. It is okay when they incorporate it a little into the opening scene, but when it is unrelated, it really irritates me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

'should of', 'would of', 'could of'

Sweet merciful Jesus it's should/would/could HAVE!!!!!!

Great to get that off my chest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I really get annoyed when I see comments on Youtube

... you don't really need to go much further than this. Does anyone know if there's a way to turn them off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

smash wrote: »
    Women doing their makeup on public transport. I'm not talking about a touch up, I'm talking about start to finish. There's a girl in front of me who's just painted herself orange!

if you see her do it again just give her elbow a small tap while she's doing her lipstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Doesn't happen over here but in the states, for some bizarre reason, they say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"...I can't get my head around how some people can keep making this mistake, they're literally saying the opposite of what they think they are :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,254 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Tunes on the radio that use sirens on their backing track.

Puts the heart crossways in me when I'm driving :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Doesn't happen over here but in the states, for some bizarre reason, they say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less"...I can't get my head around how some people can keep making this mistake, they're literally saying the opposite of what they think they are :confused:
    Ive noticed Americans on various forums moving more and more towards saying things like "The car rolled down the hill on accident" instead of "by accident" or "accidentally", that's the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Lucozade sport packaging, the 4 set, don't the manufacturers realise that the bottles almost always fall out? soooo annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Thank you.

Somebody else tried pulling me up on that here before but I wasn't really àrsed getting into it with them.

Oh yes, that annoys me- people that have to under any circumstances hammer home their point when you've long quit giving a shìt!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Walking down the street & someones phone rings with your ringtone.

Showers in swimming pools / gyms where you can't change the temperature for the water, just get an average lukewarm shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

Girls in the gym changing room just wandering around in their undies, putting on make up, drying hair, reading.......... It would take u two seconds to put on ur trousers/skirt so PUT ON UR BLOODY CLOTHES. Drives me mad!

Dee01 wrote: »
    Girls in the gym changing room just wandering around in their undies, putting on make up, drying hair, reading.......... It would take u two seconds to put on ur trousers/skirt so PUT ON UR BLOODY CLOTHES. Drives me mad!

Reading? In the gym? :confused:

This I must see for myself, where did you say this gym was again? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Reading? In the gym? :confused:

This I must see for myself, where did you say this gym was again? :pac:

Honestly. I was driven insane this afternoon with them..... Its a very good value gym on the north side. Not sure I'm allowed say the name!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dee01 wrote: »
    Honestly. I was driven insane this afternoon with them..... Its a very good value gym on the north side. Not sure I'm allowed say the name!

Better not, they may take legal action against you.

Better not, they may take legal action against you.

Did you not read her post Niall? These girls were without their briefs was the problem! :D

ps. My earlier post was only joking too btw! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

People, specifically women between 30 and 60, who carefully pack away all of their shopping while avoiding eye contact with the cashier who's sitting there waiting to be paid.
    Only then will the start rummaging through their handbag for their wallet. Just so they can't begin serving the next customer. Absolute bastards.

I had a friend from Israel visiting me here in Tulipland a few weeks ago. We had a few incidents in shops where she'd pull out her purse and it was full of Israeli, British, American and Euro currency and she'd sort through it all looking for enough to pay for her goods. That's annoying enough in shops but she wouldn't get her purse out to rifle through her various currencies for correct change until she was actually on the bus. Dutch public transport is usually very reliable, most people here use chip cards to check in and out of the buses and the bus stops have have those constantly updating displays telling you when the next bus is due. The drivers couldn't move on until she paid as she's a frail little old lady. She held the buses up by about 3 minutes each time until I gave her my card and just paid in cash for myself. I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't just sort her change so that she was only carrying euros.

According to her it's perfectly normal to inconvenience everyone else behind you while you dither about in Israel. :confused: I always have my money, cards, bonus cards etc ready. I unload my groceries onto the belt as soon as there is space, leave my bonus card on the shelf above the till for the cashier to scan, tuck my cash card into the machine as they are scanning my stuff and pack as they're scanning - THEN as soon as they tell me the total I enter my PIN. I want in and out as fast as possible and have every sympathy for the poor wee till jockey dealing with the general public all the time. I loathe being the customer behind the idiot, or the cashier dealing with the idiot, so I strive not to be the idiot.

Mind you, I can't speak kindly of the Dutch either. Coming from a nation of polite, well mannered people (and for all our self loathing, we are extremely well mannered and generous to strangers. No other country waits and waves other cars out into in main roads, for example) their behaviour on public transport and their complete inability to queue is absolutely maddening.

The sad thing is I have found myself joining them in their queue jumping, crowd shoving ways because I can't beat them. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Today I was driving into town - I turned left at a junction to be greeted by some eejit in an orange t-shirt and other running gear running backwards down the middle of the road. Yes, he was running backwards down the middle of a busy road, not even on the pavement without looking behind him or being bothered by the fact that cars couldn't get past him. People were beeping at him to get out of the way but he thought that meant there's something behind you turn around, making him go slower and annoy people more. He kept on running and then went around the corner and ran off down the middle of the Rock Road backwards.

I was more annoyed by it then I should have been but seriously, if that person was any of you guys, you need to get a grip on yourselves. Wtf is wrong with some people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

humbert wrote: »
    People, specifically women between 30 and 60, who carefully pack away all of their shopping while avoiding eye contact with the cashier who's sitting there waiting to be paid.
    Only then will the start rummaging through their handbag for their wallet. Just so they can't begin serving the next customer. Absolute bastards.

If the cashier would help to pack the bags instead of just sitting there waiting to be paid the whole process would be done a lot quicker.

On that note; cashiers who start the next customers shopping before the current customer has finished packing.

Lynfo wrote: »
    If the cashier would help to pack the bags instead of just sitting there waiting to be paid the whole process would be done a lot quicker.

On that note; cashiers who start the next customers shopping before the current customer has finished packing.
    It's not feasible. The cashier would have to get up from the till and walk around to the bagging area. Even then it's usually not a job suited to teamwork. I should say that what really grinds my gears is the way these women comport themselves; I shall not be rushed!

I have some sympathy for clumsy or slow people in the likes or Lidl or Aldi where if you dally at all you will be picking your shopping out from among that of the next shopper. Though for exactly that reason I love Aldi and Lidl.

Opening out your golf umbrella in the píssing rain, and then having to wrestle with it to turn it back the right way again, I got so peeved after having to do it for the fifth or sixth time and it was so battered that I binned it rather than have it pull me out off the pavement and into traffic. It was like trying to control a wild animal on a leash! :(

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Opening out your golf umbrella in the píssing rain, and then having to wrestle with it to turn it back the right way again, I got so peeved after having to do it for the fifth or sixth time and it was so battered that I binned it rather than have it pull me out off the pavement and into traffic. It was like trying to control a wild animal on a leash! :(
    Surely you open it into the wind?

Surely you open it into the wind?

Yes but the wind was flippin' gale force, at one point it broke a couple of spindles and closed over my arm barely missing whipping me in the face while I was trying to hold it into the wind! :eek:

I'd turn a corner and "whoosh", inside out again! :pac:

Lynfo wrote: »

They don't help you pack your shopping here, however they do have separator bars that move your shopping away from the next persons. I can't find a photo but there's a big bar that runs the length of the packing area that the cashier can move to one side to separate your groceries from the next persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Same sort of thing happens in petrol stations all the time - a lot of women have a tendency to empty half the contents of their bag when paying for petrol. After they've eventually got their money/credit card out and paid the cashier they then have to put everything back in, while the cashier and everyone in the queue has to awkwardly wait and say nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bushbleacher

Celebrity 'news'. So-and-so spotted wearing cute outfit while out for a nice meal at restaurant x. Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

People who are queuing and wait til they get to the til to
    take out their money.Also people who do this at
    at bus stops.

People who ring the bell more than once on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

People who walk through doors and stop dead on the other side to root through their bag or whatever and then glare at people who hit them with the door when they try to come through as if its their fault.Also women with prams who barrel straight down the middle of the footpath and assume your going to step off the footpath to get out of their way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement