Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

People like the woman in the supermarket who was having a great aul chat with the cashier about kids and school and how the family was doing while the rest of us were kept waiting.

And then of course it took her another 5 minutes to put the groceries in the bags and surprise surprise she couldn't find her debit card when she had time to pay.

When I'm in the queue I have the bags at the ready to pack them as soon as she checks the items through and my card beside me to hand to her straight away so I won't be delaying others. It's not rocket science.

Thank God for places like Aldi where the cashiers won't tolerate this kind of carry on.

Lynfo wrote: »
    If the cashier would help to pack the bags instead of just sitting there waiting to be paid the whole process would be done a lot quicker.

On that note; cashiers who start the next customers shopping before the current customer has finished packing.

Why should they?

It's not hard to pack a bag quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Why should they?

It's not hard to pack a bag quickly.

Correct. But it is hard to pack 7 bags quickly when you have (for example) 2 children and a bump.

The reasoning that they would have to come around the other side to help doesn't work either, I've often seen cashiers helping while still sitting in their seat.

And why should they? Because (a) it's part of their job description (in some stores) and (b) common courtesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Dee01 wrote: »
    Not sure I'm allowed say the name!

This drives me mad. It should be "allowed to say the name". I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Something i've noticed more and more recently, groups of people that are hanging out together on the street all of them with earphones in their ears. They just stand around or walk down the road not talking or interacting at all! I don't get it at all.

• Advertisement

• Lynfo wrote: »
    If the cashier would help to pack the bags instead of just sitting there waiting to be paid the whole process would be done a lot quicker.

On that note; cashiers who start the next customers shopping before the current customer has finished packing.

I hate when cashiers do that in supermarkets. Oh look, you can scan really fast, well done you. It takes a hell of a lot longer to pack stuff into the bags, so scanning really fast is counterproductive. You just end up with a big messy pile of stuff mixed in with the person behind's stuff, getting really stressed while you simultaneously try to dig your purse out and pay. It makes no sense at all. Why doesn't the cashier just bloody well help you to pack or at least have the courtesy to give you more than 0.0005 seconds to pack 200 euro worth of groceries? I'm an able-bodied young woman and find it impossible, so I really feel for anyone elderly or disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I hate when cashiers do that in supermarkets. Oh look, you can scan really fast, well done you. It takes a hell of a lot longer to pack stuff into the bags, so scanning really fast is counterproductive. You just end up with a big messy pile of stuff mixed in with the person behind's stuff, getting really stressed while you simultaneously try to dig your purse out and pay. It makes no sense at all. Why doesn't the cashier just bloody well help you to pack or at least have the courtesy to give you more than 0.0005 seconds to pack 200 euro worth of groceries? I'm an able-bodied young woman and find it impossible, so I really feel for anyone elderly or disabled.

I have heard on boards that places will have a counter to see how fast they scan things and if it's not fast enough they're in trouble
    So it's back up to management for that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Lidl is the worst for that because their counters aren't big enough to hold any stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

When people walk up to the pedestrian traffic lights and press the button about 8 or 9 times in about 3 seconds, thinking this will make the lights change quicker!

And the kids all with ear phones in reminded me of another. You're sitting in and 3 or 4 people u know are sitting at a bar somewhere updating their status and having full blown conversations with each other on Facebook. Having drinks with bla bla and whoever. Then bla bla and whoever starts commenting nonsense on it. Put the phones down and talk to each other.

• bluewolf wrote: »
    I have heard on boards that places will have a counter to see how fast they scan things and if it's not fast enough they're in trouble
    So it's back up to management for that one

Yes, I think they do, but it's so silly. All it does is create stress and hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

jkell061 wrote: »
    When people walk up to the pedestrian traffic lights and press the button about 8 or 9 times in about 3 seconds, thinking this will make the lights change quicker!

In some cases this does make a difference. Like on pelican crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Lidl is the worst for that because their counters aren't big enough to hold any stuff.

No but the shelf they provide away from the scanning area is plenty big enough and allows everyone to pack their bags at their own pace without holding other people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Dear customers,
    There are two bins in the lobby. it wouldn't kill you to maybe put your rubbish in one of them after you've finished eating. If we didn't want you to use them we wouldn't have put the bins out in the lobby in the first place. we'd just use the ones behind the counter. you pass it as you leave. use it.

And yes we can hear the door buzzer for the bathroom but please don't assume we spend the whole shift hovering over the release button. we may be at the back of the kitchen cooking or out in the lobby clearing the lobby of the rubbish and ketchup splatters you left. please allow me the 10 seconds it takes to move to the counter to release the door. You don't need to lean on the buzzer until. that thing is loud, like really loud. and annoying and after an 11 hour shift of constant buzzing i want to strangle all of you. One short sharp buzz and i'm on my way. be patient. bloody junkies making it neccesary to have the damn thing in the first place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Actually that reminds me, people who leave the cinema like a fcuking pig sty. What is the difficulty with cleaning up after yourself? It's not difficult, your food usually comes in a bag or box, just put the rubbish and leftovers in there and put the fcuking thing in the bin on the way out. Irish people are filty bastards in the cinema. Sticky floors and popcorn and rubbish everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

When you're on boards or a similar forum and there's a thread discussing a tragedy and there's the inevitable posters concocting revenge scenarios to show enraged they are by what's after happening. You know the type of thing: 'If I caught the fooker that did this, I'd make him eat his own eyelids and use his big toes as buttplugs so that he'd become constipated and die a slow an horrible death…' It's just total and utter 'big man' bullsh¡t and it gets really irritating reading a load of posts like this.

Orim wrote: »
    No but the shelf they provide away from the scanning area is plenty big enough and allows everyone to pack their bags at their own pace without holding other people up.

The Lidl near me doesn't even have a packing shelf. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

PauloMN wrote: »
    Actually that reminds me, people who leave the cinema like a fcuking pig sty. What is the difficulty with cleaning up after yourself? It's not difficult, your food usually comes in a bag or box, just put the rubbish and leftovers in there and put the fcuking thing in the bin on the way out. Irish people are filty bastards in the cinema. Sticky floors and popcorn and rubbish everywhere.

Agreed! It's disgusting. Anytime I have mentioned it in the past I have been told "well the staff get paid to clean the place, without the rubbish they would have no jobs". Utter nonsense! They have plenty of other things to do without cleaning up after you. If they have a bin it is there for a reason!! USE IT !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

PauloMN wrote: »
    Actually that reminds me, people who leave the cinema like a fcuking pig sty. What is the difficulty with cleaning up after yourself? .

YES!!! god that boils my blood.

although i don't think that's a solely irish problem. been in cinemas in a few countries. people are just pigs everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

smash wrote: »
    In some cases this does make a difference. Like on pelican crossings.

Does it? I dunno if pressing it multiple times will speed up the process. People are the same at elevators, pressing it as hard and as quick as they can and that'll hurry the elevator along!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

jkell061 wrote: »
    Does it? I dunno if pressing it multiple times will speed up the process. People are the same at elevators, pressing it as hard and as quick as they can and that'll hurry the elevator along!
    And on the DART, hammering away at the door release button when the train is still doing about 10 kph coming into the station, why do they bother? :confused:

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    And on the DART, hammering away at the door release button when the train is still doing 10 mph coming into the station, why do they bother? :confused:

Because one day it might open, and then they can leap from the moving train like a majestic gazelle and wow the other commuters!

Lynfo wrote: »
    Correct. But it is hard to pack 7 bags quickly when you have (for example) 2 children and a bump.

The reasoning that they would have to come around the other side to help doesn't work either, I've often seen cashiers helping while still sitting in their seat.

And why should they? Because (a) it's part of their job description (in some stores) and (b) common courtesy.

A bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

A bump?

Pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,532 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When your computer says "not responding" Why is there not an option or button that says," WELL fcuking respond then." :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Dee01

summerskin wrote: »
    This drives me mad. It should be "allowed to say the name". I hate it.

Eekkk!!!! I actually thought I was fairly ok with this sorta thing..... Thanks tho, always good to get some feedback (and I'm actually not being sarcastic here!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And on the DART, hammering away at the door release button when the train is still doing about 10 kph coming into the station, why do they bother? :confused:
    Absolutely. It's always men too isn't it...
    When your computer says "not responding" Why is there not an option or button that says," WELL fcuking respond then." :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

My pet computer hate is when I inadvertently open a tab in a new window in Firefox: wish I knew what did this so I could avoid it. Don't like the latest itunes either, hope they 'upgrade' it back to the old fornat...

Oh and 'Let's Get The Boys On The Beize!": I'm going to try to get through the entire 2 weeks of the snooker this year without hearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

:p

Adding that to the end of a sentence doesn't make it any cheekier or funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

washing a load of dark clothes and coming back to find you left a white tissue in there somewhere and now all your black clothes have bits of white tissue stuck to them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The term barista annoys me for some reason. You arent a bartender, you make damn coffee, even then a machine does most of the work. We dont call people who make milk shakes baristas when they have as much claim to the title.

Dont know if I've mentioned this before but people who think that because they have children they can be as much as an inconvenience at something and are appaled when you arent running over to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

How else will the train driver know someone wants to get off?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement