Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Gaunty wrote: »
    Japanese homes where it's considered good manners and a sign of appreciation?

You won't, therefore, be surprised to learn I've never been there and have absolutely no desire to go.

It's a disgusting habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

When the missus gives out to me for slurping. I tell it makes it taste better.
    Schluuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrpppp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

keano2012 wrote: »
    the awkwardness in an elevator. why should i say hi and bye to someone i dont know. i dont go around the street saying hi to everyone. can i not just go into an elevator and feel comfortable about saying nothing.

I'm convinced time actually slows down in lifts... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Brown Sugar....

It freaks me out when you pour it into a bowl and it moves and shifts around in the bowl... (the slightly damp, sticky brown sugar for baking with) *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

F*****s whose credit ALWAYS runs out when they're talking to you making you ring back.

€5 credit? What are you, 12??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Sorry, my bad.

WHAT !?!?

You, my friend are not American. Stop spouting sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Unnecessary noise, everywhere....

3) In dental and doctors' surgeries: you do not need to entertain me with idiots talking on the radio, or mediocre music choices imposed on me. I have an ipod that I can bring, if I want. I have a book that I can bring, if I want. Why can't you respect my right to sit in your surgery in peace?

Quietness is good. Conversation is enriching. Imposing all these external noises upon natural sound levels is obnoxious and patronising at every level.

in my clinic I always make sure the radio is on in the waiting room so that those waiting cannot overhear what's being said between me and the patient who's with me. it's to give them some privacy and maintain confidentiality. unfortunately the layout and quality of the building is such that conversations could be overheard if there was no other noise to drown them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

hearing a song on the radio about 20 times and never being able to catch the name/artist of it

Shazam or no Shazam, just tell us what the bloody song is!!

hearing a song on the radio about 20 times and never being able to catch the name/artist of it

Shazam or no Shazam, just tell us what the bloody song is!!

...would be enough to annoy me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

When something doesn't work, and you know it doesn't work, and you've tried to turn it on/use it about twenty times and it hasn't worked any of them... Until you want to show someone else that doesn't work, and then it bloody works. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

El Guapo! wrote: »
    As the title says, what seemingly trivial things bug you?

There's plenty for me, but lately its a spoon.

In the top drawer in the kitchen we have all the cutlery in one of those tray things that everyone has. Everything's in its own little section. But there's one bastard spoon doing my head in.
    I have no idea where it came from or why it's even there.
    The problem is, it's too big to be a small spoon.....but too small to be a big spoon. I never know what section to put it in, and every time I open the drawer.........there it is. Mocking me.

I fúcking hate that spoon.
    Terry Pratchett had a character based on exactly that in one of his books. She was a goddess called 'Annoya'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

when the thing you push down on the toaster just wont go down at the first or second attempt! just stay down ****3r!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The way nearly every website except Boards and BBC News these days has so much Java/Flash/Ads and other unnecessary sh1t going on that it actually locks up your browser for a few seconds after you open it even if you have a beast of a pc. American websites are the worst, video ads and everything trying to load even when you just want to read a single news paragraph. Minimalism has gone out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Things that don't do what they're advertised to do. I bought one of these plug in blue light alleged fly killing things. It's been in several different places in the kitchen this week. Does it work? Does it buggery. Flies buzz right past it in the kitchen door and ignore it. Fricking ignoring it as they go. Not 1 fly, all week. Gotcha is the name of the manufacturer and by Jesus did they when I wasted my money on it. Mr P won't let me buy those sticky fly paper things, yeah I know they're cruel, I just don't care about humanely killing the flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

When something doesn't work, and you know it doesn't work, and you've tried to turn it on/use it about twenty times and it hasn't worked any of them... Until you want to show someone else that doesn't work, and then it bloody works. :mad:

Happened to me today buying an earphones adapter to control the music playback on my phone, first three didn't work for me, but every time I tried to show the shop assistant they didn't work, damn things worked, eventually a fourth set worked as expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Happened to me today buying an earphones adapter to control the music playback on my phone, first three didn't work for me, but every time I tried to show the shop assistant they didn't work, damn things worked, eventually a fourth set worked as expected!

Mine was my combination lock for the gym. It got stuck and no combination I tried would open it (I assumed I'd accidentally changed the first number down one, it's happened before). After about ten minutes trying different combinations, I admitted defeat and went up to the counter to ask was there a way to unlock it - no, you have to buy a new one for €11. The woman took it off me while I hunted for my wallet and it popped open the minute she moved it, making me look like a complete idiot :mad:

(Has happened to me with everything from locks to printers to mp3 players though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

keano2012 wrote: »
    when the thing you push down on the toaster just wont go down at the first or second attempt! just stay down ****3r!

I turn it off at the power and on again if it doesn't work the first time, it always works the second :D

When you're sitting at the back of the bus and it is approaching your stop. You gather your stuff together to leave, and then so do the other passengers who are sitting at the back, so you wait for them to leave first but they clearly have the same idea. It becomes a battle of wills (in my head at least) to see who dares to wait closest to the stop....eventually you cant take the pressure anymore and jump up to leave...

and then they jump up with you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

^That happens to me a lot to, it's like a weird mexican stand-off to see who admits defeat first and goes to the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Jeans with no arsé pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Extremely trivial I know, but isn't this the point of the thread.

Gambas Prawns, I've seen that on menus and in shops. Gambas is Spanish for Prawns for fuck's sake, why say it twice to make them seem exotic.

I'll have the Gambas prawns and a bottle of Vino wine please. :(

that youtube ad, "since I woz a li-el kid I always thought how amayzin' i' wud be-eeee if we cud loike, make muusic wi' our minds" :mad:

guttenberg wrote: »
    ^That happens to me a lot to, it's like a weird mexican stand-off to see who admits defeat first and goes to the door.

I'm sometimes tempted to actually miss my stop just to call their bluff...that'll show them!

...and then I decide I need help :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The way that my next door neighbour (aged 3) calls for my kids the whole time, last night it was at 9.30.

I'm actually more bothered by her parents letting her out unsupervised and at times I think are inappropriate (like after bedtime).

The way that my next door neighbour (aged 3) calls for my kids the whole time, last night it was at 9.30.

I'm actually more bothered by her parents letting her out unsupervised and at times I think are inappropriate (like after bedtime).

Next time she calls at a late hour, detain her in your house until they come looking in a panic...might serve as a kick up the ar*e they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Certain TV channels putting logos and words in the corner of the screen, some of them have crap in all four corners, should be a rule against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Next time she calls at a late hour, detain her in your house until they come looking in a panic...might serve as a kick up the ar*e they need.

That really sounds like the worst possible idea ever.

That really sounds like the worst possible idea ever.

I know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

dub_skav wrote: »
    Extremely trivial I know, but isn't this the point of the thread.

Gambas Prawns, I've seen that on menus and in shops. Gambas is Spanish for Prawns for ****'s sake, why say it twice to make them seem exotic.

I'll have the Gambas prawns and a bottle of Vino wine please. :(

Or I'll have 2 slices of bacon and a rasher.

• Advertisement

People using "big words" in the wrong context.

The fact that I cant think of any examples right now also counts as a trivial thing that annoys me :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement