Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Grabbing a load of washing, making the walk from the bedroom to the machine, contstantly checking over your shoulder for dropped laundry. get to the machine, load it, turn on the cycle, and you turn around to find a sock on the floor goading you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Only slightly better service than SDS, who leave a note in your letterbox that they missed you even though you've been there all morning if they'd only knocked on the door! :mad:
    it could be worse, it could be like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKUDTPbDhnA

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

cheeky bastard flies..........Fly spray is like deodorant to flies, they just laugh it off and back to flying around the light. whats the crack with flying in ****ing circles around lights, I don't get it......cheeky bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I haven't seen this thread have this much action in a while. I think the heat is making all the boo boos crabby…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

SkyBlooo wrote: »
    People that believe that putting plastic bottles full of water in their garden,
    is actually going to stop cats coming into their garden. Ha! :)

My mam started doing this after some neighbours filthy moggy would come into the back garden to enjoy a nice sh*te every evening. Never saw him again afterwards honest to God.

A quick google suggests there may be some science behind it, according to
    www.Doctorgreenfingers.co.uk
    Ever wondered why people put bottles on there lawns? You may have been told its to keep cats away and its true. But does it work and how? First of all we must half fill a clear plastic bottle with water .( Its very important to fill half full of water. ) Put lid on and place in the middle of the lawn. If you have a big lawn then put a few about. Leave out and see if it works! Cats are suppose to be scared away by the bottle, but how you ask? It works best at night and if there a breeze. Take a light say from a street lamp, car or one of your windows. This light travels through the bottle and the water which is then reflected away like laser beams in different directions giving off little flashes. The cat sees these flashes and Zap! He's away. There you have it so go out and try it out on your lawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

LizT wrote: »
    Or people that say "So I did" etc after every sentence

"I went to the shop with John, so I did"
    "John bought me a drink, so he did"

Not many people do it but it really really annoys me!!

The northy accent in general annoys me, so it does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

What about 'so'?

People constantly end their sentences in real life and on boards with 'so'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

PDA's are really getting on my nerves at the moment. Everywhere I look people are slobbering all over/ sitting on top of each other. Get a room people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Also, people who look at you when you walk past them. People who look at you when you get onto a bus

You have to be looking at them to know they're looking at you. A bit hypocritical there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Mariasofia wrote: »
    PDA's are really getting on my nerves at the moment. Everywhere I look people are slobbering all over/ sitting on top of each other. Get a room people!!

You and me both -

While I'm here, I wasn't going to say anything but I can't keep it in now -

Grown men and women holding hands in public - STOP THAT!

I haven't held hands with a woman since I was a child, and she was my mother, I can make my own way around without being led by the hand!

Bloody walking down the street today and some middle-aged couple came out of a restaurant in front of me on the path. "I'll just pass them out" I thought. Next thing they took hold of each others hands and I just... "You're not fcuking serious!" :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

People who use the present tense instead of the past tense when they're telling a story.

Drives me mad! I'm always giving out to my sister for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

when you are waiting at the ATM and the person in front has two or three cards.like how many accounts do you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

WinterSong wrote: »
    People who use the present tense instead of the past tense when they're telling a story.

Drives me mad! I'm always giving I have always given out to my sister for it.

-_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

-_-

For example, instead of saying "yesterday I was sitting in the restaurant and he came over to say hi" saying "So yesterday, I'm sitting in the shop, and he comes over to say hi"

And I continuously give out to my sister for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

when you are waiting at the ATM and the person in front has two or three cards.like how many accounts do you need

A friend of mine once went to an ATM to withdraw cash, he'd f*ck all in his account so to try withdraw his max amount he started at €100 and worked his way down a tenner at a time, he eventually got €30 out but it took flaming ages. Queue of people by the time he was done. He didnt give a sh*t either! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

You have to be looking at them to know they're looking at you. A bit hypocritical there.

No. Women have a special power. We can feel when people are looking at us :D With the bus one, its like everyone looking at you when you get on. Walking past, I usually avoid looking until the last second and then find them already looking, a-HA :P

For example, instead of saying "yesterday I was sitting in the restaurant and he came over to say hi" saying "So yesterday, I'm sitting in the shop, and he comes over to say hi"

And I continuously give out to my sister for it :)

maddening....so it is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Drives me mad! I'm always giving out to my sister for it.

It’s a recognised technique used to add immediacy to the story. This was something that was covered when I did my training to become an English teacher abroad.
    The present tense can be used to describe actions in the past, present or future.
    For the past, you’ve already given an example and the present is obvious.
    Using the present tense for the future in the following examples:

The plane leaves at 2210
    I’m going to London for the weekend.

Lucena wrote: »
    It’s a recognised technique used to add immediacy to the story. This was something that was covered when I did my training to become an English teacher abroad.
    The present tense can be used to describe actions in the past, present or future.
    For the past, you’ve already given an example and the present is obvious.
    Using the present tense for the future in the following examples:

The plane leaves at 2210
    I’m going to London for the weekend.

It's still irritating, made worse when people switch tenses. "So this guy came over to my table. I'm there minding my own business. He said, "I love Boards" and I'm thinking I love Boards too..he must be my soulmate" :D

People who intentionally wrongly use "then" instead of "than" :mad:

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    People who intentionally wrongly use "then" instead of "than" :mad:

People shouldn’t be allowed onto Boards without knowing the following:

How to use:

· There, their, and they’re
    · It’s and its (ok this last one is counter-intuitive, but just learn it, m’kay?)

Actually The Oatmeal has a good list here:
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

I strongly recommend all Boards contributors study it carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

People approaching on the footpath who drift over onto your side as they get closer. Wtf.

• People who pull out, without indicators. People who switch lanes, without indicating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

chakotha wrote: »
    People approaching on the footpath who drift over onto your side as they get closer. Wtf.
    When you meet a drunk person walking toward you and whatever side you move to they sway to that side as well, you just know they're going to clatter into you no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Why has it become the thing to use your hazard lights to thank someone who has pulled in to let you pass out? There are three things wrong with this: 1. On the continent to do this means your telling the other driver "fúck off" so imagine what our tourists think? 2. As far as I'm aware it's their responsibility to pull in to let faster traffic pass and 3. Isn't it against the rules of the road to use hazard lights like this anyhow - shouldn't they only be used in an emergency (or as park anywhere you like if you're that way inclined)?

chakotha wrote: »

and then drift to the other side when you try there and then back... :mad:

Also people who use buggies as weapons to battle their way through. Take the fuuckin legs off ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Finding out a different band sung one of your favourite songs.

Morto

cantdecide wrote: »
    Finding out a different band sung one of your favourite songs.

Morto

Name and shame (yourself!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Lucena wrote: »
    Name and shame (yourself!)

I thought 'I've Been Thinking About You' by Londonbeat was actually sung by Fine Young Cannibals!! I was corrected by my mother!!! IN my defense, it's more of a guilty pleasure...

Double morto for telling yis now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

cantdecide wrote: »
    I thought 'I've Been Thinking About You' by Londonbeat was actually sung by Fine Young Cannibals!! I was corrected by my mother!!! IN my defense, it's more of a guilty pleasure...

Double morto for telling yis now!

Well triple morto and double scarlih' for myself because I've always thought it was the Fine Young Cannibals as well!! :o:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement