Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that annoy you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Frozen food cooking instructions saying "for fan assisted ovens see..".

Surely there's more fan assisted ovens then not these days, why isn't it the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

At the risk of sounding triple my age, people that talk over the news.

STFU, I want to hear this and you're telling me about your gout, a story I've heard a thousand times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

Getting your car washed, only to have it splattered with birdsh*t within a day or two. Most annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Rasheed wrote: »

STFU, I want to hear this and you're telling me about your gout, a story I've heard a thousand times before.

At the risk of sounding like a quarter my age- the way my routine gets upset when my wife goes away for a few days, fell asleep on the couch last night, the bang off my clothes this morning, phew! Then fell back to sleep and now I'm rushing to make an appointment.

Time, why does time seem to go faster when you're in a rush? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My mother and gran do this when they are together. Drives me mental. They are hysterical about the RTE 9pm news. Even though it wont differ from the 6pm news that they were also hysterical about. They dont actually watch it though. They take their cue from the headline and then go off on a rant. It's like some kind of weird gameshow where they have to talk about a given topic for 60 seconds, then switch to another one, with intermittent screeching at the tv (he cant hear you). The best was last week, the newsreader said something about a launderette explosion in Killarney. All my Gran heard was "police have secured the area" and that was enough for her... "ah, they're all balubas (wtf?) up there in that North of Ireland" :confused: (I could only assume it was a reference to the 12th probs)

Not content with that though, they will then flick to BBC to watch their news aswell, in case they missed anything! Then 21:45....

"Is it time for the ten o'clock news yet?"

"Er no...its 21:45"

"Well put on RTE there in case it comes on early. I dont want to miss anything"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

People writing "yay or nay" all over thread titles
    It's yea or nay :(:(:(

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My mother and gran do this when they are together. Drives me mental. They are hysterical about the RTE 9pm news. Even though it wont differ from the 6pm news that they were also hysterical about. They dont actually watch it though. They take their cue from the headline and then go off on a rant. It's like some kind of weird gameshow where they have to talk about a given topic for 60 seconds, then switch to another one, with intermittent screeching at the tv (he cant hear you). The best was last week, the newsreader said something about a launderette explosion in Killarney. All my Gran heard was "police have secured the area" and that was enough for her... "ah, they're all balubas (wtf?) up there in that North of Ireland" :confused: (I could only assume it was a reference to the 12th probs)

Not content with that though, they will then flick to BBC to watch their news aswell, in case they missed anything! Then 21:45....

"Is it time for the ten o'clock news yet?"

"Er no...its 21:45"

"Well put on RTE there in case it comes on early. I dont want to miss anything"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was about to give it welly about Bus Eireann and their shìtty schedules (Dafuq do you mean "Saturday Only"??), but I'm laughing so much at the above I think the taxi driver might think I meant the mental hospital and not the hospital hospital! :D

Reminded me so much of my parents when I was growing up- tv only got turned on for the news, they'd talk thru the news, then the nuacht, then tv goes off again and we'd have to talk about our days news, as gaeilge! :(

Haven't heard "balubas" in about 20 years, my mother used say it all the time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Czarcasm wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a quarter my age- the way my routine gets upset when my wife goes away for a few days, fell asleep on the couch last night, the bang off my clothes this morning, phew! Then fell back to sleep and now I'm rushing to make an appointment.

Time, why does time seem to go faster when you're in a rush? :mad:

Ah Czar, you'd think you'd have a woman you could move in for the few days to take care of those wifely duties!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

People who say hubby.

I was about to give it welly about Bus Eireann and their shìtty schedules (Dafuq do you mean "Saturday Only"??), but I'm laughing so much at the above I think the taxi driver might think I meant the mental hospital and not the hospital hospital! :D

Reminded me so much of my parents when I was growing up- tv only got turned on for the news, they'd talk thru the news, then the nuacht, then tv goes off again and we'd have to talk about our days news, as gaeilge! :(

Haven't heard "balubas" in about 20 years, my mother used say it all the time :D

Oh, I just assumed she'd invented a word lol

Actually they do the same with the weather (though there is a reverent silence for this one). They watch it on every station, every hour in the hopes of getting a better one. It might be hotter after the 9pm news :rolleyes: The hilarious thing is they will even watch it on sky or bbc where they dont even mention Ireland, the presenters aass is usually blocking it out while she points elsewhere :D
    "Oh look, the gulf stream has moved towards southern spain!"
    "Oh great! We're still in Ireland..."
    Then finally it got really bad last year...my gran discovered the farmers forecast. ffs...twenty minutes of droning on and fuucking on and on about the weather in excruciating detail. Precipitation, mist, mean temps, average temps, "make the hay or not...hummm...."

• Advertisement

Ah Czar, you'd think you'd have a woman you could move in for the few days to take care of those wifely duties!

You think that's bad, I'm just after having the x-ray done... the nurses had me drop my pants, and only then I realised I was wearing my novelty jocks with "UP 4 IT!" emblazoned across the front...

Cringe factor shot up in the room :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

You think that's bad, I'm just after having the x-ray done... the nurses had me drop my pants, and only then I realised I was wearing my novelty jocks with "UP 4 IT!" emblazoned across the front...

Cringe factor shot up in the room :o

As long as nothing else shot up, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

This is why I hate having people in my car. Everyone always talks over the radio :mad:

SHUT THE FCUK UP, I AM TRYING TO LISTEN TO RICK O'SHEA AND YOU'RE RUINING IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

LizT wrote: »
    This is why I hate having people in my car. Everyone always talks over the radio :mad:

SHUT THE FCUK UP, I AM TRYING TO LISTEN TO RICK O'SHEA AND YOU'RE RUINING IT.

I think Rick is ruining it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People that say vino when they're talking about wine. "Oh it's going to be totes amazeballs, the girlies are coming around for some vino and snacks!"

People that say vino when they're talking about wine. "Oh it's going to be totes amazeballs, the girlies are coming around for some vino and snacks!"

I think people who say "amazeballs" should be taken out and shot.

Same goes for those who say "totes".

Stupid faux yanks with their silly bird nest hair :D

Also, sticking "gate" onto the end of every piece of mild news. I opened the Metro this morning to be greeted by "Fannygate" ah come off it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

Hate it when you buy a scone in a coffee shop (for example) and they only give you one wee square of butter. Like what am I meant to put on the other half of my scone? That's not nearly enough butter for a whole one...

On another note, people who say Scone as in 'con' instead of scone as in 'cone' wreck my head - the Celtic Tiger's over lads, no need to pretend to be fancy any more, settle! :pac:

This one is hard to explain but I'll try. It's basically something that middle aged/older women to when nattering among themselves. They are nodding along etc and then they do this thing...it's like...they breathe in loudly and day "yeah" at the same time. I can't describe it any other way. I can't do it myself either. It's fast and easily missed but once you are on the lookout for it you can spot it. Anyone know what this is? :confused: Oh and its really annoying (even though its trivial) lol

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    This one is hard to explain but I'll try. It's basically something that middle aged/older women to when nattering among themselves. They are nodding along etc and then they do this thing...it's like...they breathe in loudly and day "yeah" at the same time. I can't describe it any other way. I can't do it myself either. It's fast and easily missed but once you are on the lookout for it you can spot it. Anyone know what this is? :confused: Oh and its really annoying (even though its trivial) lol

I know exactly what you mean, it happens to me all the time, haha, it's when they've long tuned out from whatever you're saying and then try to tune back in and look like they were paying attention :D

EDIT: Just had a delicious pint of Guinness there before the barman started cleaning the pipes... It's put me right off another one because I like my Guinness dirty.

Hate this sterility they've introduced into everything nowadays :(

No bushmills, that's annoying, it'll have to be a sticky jameson then (it's like trying to get honey down your throat the way it sticks to the roof of my mouth!)

No Nokia phone charger behind the bar... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Loose fitting shoes and runner, I like them tight around my foot. I also hate socks that fall down to your ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

Kace wrote: »
    I think you might want to Google that particular pronunciation for yourself there. You might well surprise yourself !!

Nah, I wouldn't. Aitch is the British pronunciation; haitch is the Irish pronunciation. It's only Irish people unsure of their language who think "aitch" is correct and haitch is incorrect. I've counted two such Irish people who say "aitch" instead of 'haitch', both RTÉ newsreaders and a minority of RTÉ newsreaders at that. The "aitch" types are usually the same people who say "an historic", while pronouncing the haitch, and think it's more correct than 'a historic' (which, coincidentally, is favoured in the OED over 'an historic')

(the rule is 'an' comes before a vowel sound (only when the word is of Latin origin), so pronouncing the 'h' negates the need for 'an', rather than 'a', before it)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Parents who call each other "mummy and daddy" (or the equivalent).

It's not too bad when they're talking to their child when they say it: "tell daddy that dinner's ready" for example.

But when they talk to each other using the term - "what's on TV daddy?", it's just AARRRRRRRRRRRH!

Just call each other by your name. Your kids won't freak out knowing that their parents have a name of their own you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Old people and the bus. I swear to God whenever an old person so much as sneezes the bus instantly comes to a stop, but if I got up and told the driver to stop there he'd just say "yeah", but keep driving along until it suited himself to stop which would usually be a while from my stop. Happens every feckin damn time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

i like the new coca cola ad...the one where there's a load of people dedicating a bottle to someone they know with their name on it. But the blonde one who goes on about the "thanks for christmas shift"....she fcuking annoys me....ruins the ad for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

keano2012 wrote: »
    i like the new coca cola ad...the one where there's a load of people dedicating a bottle to someone they know with their name on it. But the blonde one who goes on about the "thanks for christmas shift"....she fcuking annoys me....ruins the ad for me.

You're obviously not the only one - she never got an Easter one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭keano2012

You're obviously not the only one - she never got an Easter one!

haha...she comes across as bit of gow! arlite!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

People who wear their hoodies indoors in warm weather. Nothing against a hooded jumper, just the fact people would rather bake to seem "cool" with their jumper on, sometimes hood up, indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

When you prepare dinner, place in oven and go to sit in lovely evening sun. Then you return 45 minutes later to check on what should be nearly done and find......

you have forgotten to turn the f***ing oven on!

Mariasofia wrote: »
    When you prepare dinner, place in oven and go to sit in lovely evening sun. Then you return 45 minutes later to check on what should be nearly done and find......

you have forgotten to turn the f***ing oven on!

Or worse - when you put dinner in the oven, forget about it, and then only realise you forgot about it when the fire alarm goes off.

Whatever happened to those ovens that used to "ping" when your dinner was done? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The old bi*ch of a checkout operator in my local supermarket really p*sses me off when she won't hand me back my loyalty card. She always always puts it on the bag pack area and I have to scrabble around trying to pick it up. She's happy to hand it to the elderly but she seems to make a point of doing this with me. Honestly one of these days I'm either going to make a complaint to the manager or ask her what her fcuking problem is.

I spent years working in retail and I'm always polite as I know only too well how stressful the public can be, but what she's doing is just plain rude and uncalled for. Some of these old cows have atrocious customer service skills and should've been retrained or given the boot years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement