Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every ejit going to Australia

• 18-01-2013 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36 JDunphy

It seems to me that every ejit is going to australia now because its the trendy thing to do.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you have the money to emigrate (holiday visa ehem) you're not too bad off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Where have you been for the last few years?

Jeez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Trendy = Better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

JDunphy wrote: »
    It seems to me that every ejit is going to australia now because its the trendy thing to do.
    Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If this was true, should ye not be glad of the great eejit exodus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

When you going OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If I was young free and single I would have left long before now, but I wouldn't choose Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

So people have only traveled to Australia in the last few years , not for the last 5 decades or more ? Why would you even think somebody should have to make an excuse to go to Australia or any place :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Or maybe because they're tired of being on the dole for the last 3 years and they want to go somewhere where they can get a decent paying job and a new life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I just don't get why they all want to go to Australia. If I was 22 and unemployed it would rank about 40th on the list of countries I'd choose to spend a year or two in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I personally think there are pro's and con's by moving to australia, canada etc:

Pros:
    - get a job. make some money.
    - see the world.
    - experience life.

Cons:
    - you have to come home after 1 or 2 years. Its not a long term solution to finding work.

But added pro:
    what would you of been doing in those 1 to 2 years anyways?

So if people want to go to australia or canada then so be it :) I dont think its for me. But hey, thats me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

April 1791 all over again

I wouldn't mind visiting Sydney and a few other places like Alice Springs and I might do yet but it would only be because it's on my list of places to visit for the last 20 odd years .I wouldn't give a **** if it was populated by young GAA , shirt wearing Irish people either .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Why do you consider them ejits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Oz is so last year, everyone's heading for canada now don't ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 JDunphy

Going to australia is not really expeiering an new life and seeing the world though when you hang out with other irish people drinking beer in your gaa jersey.

Boombastic wrote: »
    Oz is so last year, everyone's heading for canada now don't ya know?
    Yeah , my friend headed over to Canada in 1979 and never came back .

Latchy wrote: »
    Yeah , my friend headed over to Canada in 1979 and never came back .

Hipster alert:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Not every eejit is going. I'm staying where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I'd go to Oz time and money permitting for a look around, however I'd rather spend two hours on a plane and get off in Paris or Berlin as I find them infinitely more interesting than the anglosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The amount of eejits heading over is definitely on the increase so the OP is right in a sense.

And the scumbags, they've also discovered the WHV now.

Hipster alert:D
    Canadians (generally speaking ) were never as fashion conscious as we are over this part of the world ... even the Irish ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Skullsri

Some say ejit for going I say ejit for staying

Canadians (generally speaking ) were never as fashion conscious as we are over this part of the world ... even the Irish ones ;)

Your friend is the hipster, he went before it was cool and mainstream:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cons:
    - you have to come home after 1 or 2 years. Its not a long term solution to finding work.

only if you're lazy enough to only bother getting a temp visa, you could of course get a longer term one, or a permanent one...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

only if you're lazy enough to only bother getting a temp visa, you could of course get a longer term one, or a permanent one...

it's not exactly that easy.

Going to australia is not really expeiering an new life and seeing the world though when you hang out with other irish people drinking beer in your gaa jersey.

Sure they do that wherever...we have some inbuilt radar for Irish pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pmcmahon wrote: »
    it's not exactly that easy.

took me less than 6 weeks. (NZ, not Aus)
    it's not difficult either, unless you've no qualifications of skills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭javagal

From the shows I've seen about people my age going over.
    They go on giving out about how awful it is to live in Ireland on the dole and how great the money is in oz.
    Yet,still about 12 of them live in one house and they drink wine from boxes.
    No thank you!!
    Pikeys in the sun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The amount of eejits heading over is definitely on the increase so the OP is right in a sense.

Hmm, I dunno about this. If that were true surely the amount of eejits & scumbags here in Ireland would see a corresponding decrease. Haven't noticed any change myself, there still seems to be as many of both about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lou the wrench

its not as bountiful as people say i have plenty of mates who have went and came home through lack of work another was working as a brickie for few months hes now picking melons in the outback sleeping in a shed with lads from asia he wants to come home too i would like to go for few months for the experience but thats it its not all its made out to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If your in Oz you can have a dead-end job and get drunk six days a week without considering yourself a waster because your ABROAD! Ideal for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Why are they eejits for going to Australia to earn a living?

Fair play to them I say.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Nah they're still here procreating

Your friend is the hipster, he went before it was cool and mainstream:D
    She ( my error) never was hip to begin with and she went for the same reasons people are going now but then she bagged herself a Canadian ...game over :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

Will it's terrible Joe, the young people have no options left in Ireland Joe, except for emigration, a lost generation Joe!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I personally think there are pro's and con's by moving to australia, canada etc:

Pros:
    - get a job. make some money.
    - see the world.
    - experience life.

Cons:

But added pro:
    what would you of been doing in those 1 to 2 years anyways?

So if people want to go to australia or canada then so be it :) I dont think its for me. But hey, thats me.

I'd actually love to emigrate for a few years and then come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Given that I know quite of a few of these "eejits" who are making there way to Australia, I must say... I agree with you — partially.

One of them, who is a very good friend of mine, was actually working a well paid job as a chef at a very famous restaurant owned and managed by a popular celebrity chef, who had his rented accommodation for work organised and paid for by the management, this being his career of choice which he pursued since he left secondary school. Now it's not exactly like he didn't have a choice is it?

The rest of them fall into one of two categories;
    1. Lazy fucks who could but wouldn't work while they where here who just wanted to go to Australia because they wanted to for the craic.
    2. Lads who had work here or could work here, but decided to leave because most of their mates were out in Australia.

Now I can understand why they went, and that's fair enough depending on what they want to do, but it's not like these boys had to go, far from it actually, and to be fair most of them would probably be the first to admit that.
    There probably are people who went off to Australia because they really had to, it's just that I haven't met them yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Senna wrote: »
    If I was young free and single I would have left long before now, but I wouldn't choose Australia.

Where would you go Senna?

• Advertisement

its not as bountiful as people say i have plenty of mates who have went and came home through lack of work another was working as a brickie for few months hes now picking melons in the outback sleeping in a shed with lads from asia he wants to come home too i would like to go for few months for the experience but thats it its not all its made out to be

I agree not everyone is lucky but if you're young it's an experience and you never know what might come of it.

Two brothers I know went over, one was picking cotton and the other landed a job driving some machinery, he had experience behind him from working on the farms here....earning a great income and on his second year now.The brother is home.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

Where would you go Senna?
    Not San Marino anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Nah Australia sounds like a **** hole.
    I'd go to Siberia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Ejit has become our biggest export. Once they're all gone then Ireland will only be populated by us geniuses that stayed behind.

With only non-ejits left, we'll soon sort out the debt disaster the ejits caused.

It's amazing how many people go to travel around and have never ventured as far as Nimbin or any other places apart from the usual cities. I got the frick out of bally bondi after 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Done it around 2000 or so for an adventure. Good craic but no way would I do it again. It's good out there but don't think it's as good as everyone says. Have lived in much better countries.

To the poster about all the scummers going over. It's true, I'm know of some serious clowns who have gone and came back or others that have stayed there. No idea how they got visas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I think the OP is right, now while he might not be referring to the same type as me, there are an alarming number of Irish ejits out here. The majority of Irish I've met out here fall into the one category of greedy, selfish, spoiled ***** who don't appreciate the opportunity they have.

The amount I've times I hear people whinge about how little they earn despite some of them taking home up to 1.5 - 2k a week is sickening. I'm not bothered meeting new Irish people when I out anymore because it's the same thing over and over again...What do you do? What's the money like? Ah sure Ireland's ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

There were plenty of tools there in 2003, so i'd imagine it's way, way worse now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

It's amazing how many people go to travel around and have never ventured as far as Nimbin or any other places apart from the usual cities. I got the frick out of bally bondi after 3 days.

If they ventured as far as Nimbin they probably wouldn't be able to move for weeks if they brought a little bageen of something home with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Someone's visa application got rejected, eh?!
    I wouldn't mind visiting Sydney and a few other places like Alice Springs and I might do yet but it would only be because it's on my list of places to visit for the last 20 odd years .I wouldn't give a **** if it was populated by young GAA , shirt wearing Irish people either .
    Advice: Avoid Alice Springs, it's a sh1thole

• Advertisement
Advertisement