Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every ejit going to Australia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Latchy wrote: »
    Yeah , my friend headed over to Canada in 1979 and never came back .

Dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

You, and probably most of us grew up when emigration was not the norm during the Celtic Tiger years.

Most people whether eijits or not should be commended on looking for work if the only other option is the dole.

I'd be more annoyed at the lazy fcuks drawing the dole knowing that there are plenty of jobs in Oz.

We, Irish people have so many options compared to most of the people on this planet. We can practically go anywhere and get some sort of work from teaching English to labouring to office jobs…So many options for us.

If you are trained in construction and work on getting into the mines in Australia, $40 an hour an upwards (or 32 eur an hour) is pretty normal. That is if you work at it and have the skills.

On the other hand, you could just:
    · hop on the aul laptop and complain about people that are doing it
    · stay at home with the folks rent free
    · Make excuses how you’d get homesick if you did travel anywhere
    · Head out on the weekend in the local and blow a % of the dole money and save the rest for the 2 week holiday in Santa Ponsa in June
    · And finally reach your mid 30s having gone nowhere, done nothing, trained in nothing but in the art of conversation on how your entitlements are going down too much

Yep, what a bunch of fcukers those pr!cks are heading off to Oz..Who the fcuk do they think they are!!!???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The majority of them will be coming back when the holiday visa runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

JDunphy wrote: »
    It seems to me that every ejit is going to australia now because its the trendy thing to do.

It seems to me that every "ejit" left in Ireland is giving out about people going to Australia. Id guess there's far more begrudging moany lazy "ejits" left there giving out about abandoners etc than there is over here. Of course there's the usual idiots, but there's far more who are working hard to earn money to be able to build a life at home, or to build a life here.

Ps. It's currently 43 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

I came out here to make a new life for myself. I left Ireland with little or no prospects, my job was going to go under and i had no experience from my degree to be even considered for a job in an area i would like. I came here and worked my arse off. Still am. I dont make that much money at the moment but its a long term goal not just a year piss up. Ive made some fabulous friends. English, scots, german, french, canadian, sri lankan, south african and australian. As you can see there is no irish on that list. Im slowly but surely building a new life for myself. Its going slow but im putting in the graft. Because of that my girlfriend now has a new visa, i have gotten sponsored and ive applied for a skilled migrant visa. Hell of a lot easier to do while you are here. The area i live in is absolutely beautiful. The weather is stunning and i have a social life that does not consist of going on the piss every weekend. I love it.

Now if you think i am an ejit you can just go fcuk yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

It seems to me that every ejit is going to australia now because its the trendy thing to do.

People like you are why I'm glad I left Ireland.

I'm not in Australia, might go there next though :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭brenn7475

I personally think there are pro's and con's by moving to australia, canada etc:

Pros:
    - get a job. make some money.
    - see the world.
    - experience life.

Cons:
    - you have to come home after 1 or 2 years. Its not a long term solution to finding work.

But added pro:
    what would you of been doing in those 1 to 2 years anyways?

So if people want to go to australia or canada then so be it :) I dont think its for me. But hey, thats me.

Most start off with a holiday visa and eventually get sponsorship to work there for an extra few years. If you have skills it's the place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭brenn7475

Full.Duck wrote: »
    I came out here to make a new life for myself. I left Ireland with little or no prospects, my job was going to go under and i had no experience from my degree to be even considered for a job in an area i would like. I came here and worked my arse off. Still am. I dont make that much money at the moment but its a long term goal not just a year piss up. Ive made some fabulous friends. English, scots, german, french, canadian, sri lankan, south african and australian. As you can see there is no irish on that list. Im slowly but surely building a new life for myself. Its going slow but im putting in the graft. Because of that my girlfriend now has a new visa, i have gotten sponsored and ive applied for a skilled migrant visa. Hell of a lot easier to do while you are here. The area i live in is absolutely beautiful. The weather is stunning and i have a social life that does not consist of going on the piss every weekend. I love it.

Good for you you're dead right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Can I ask what you are working at, and what your qualifications are in?

• Advertisement

Can I ask what you are working at, and what your qualifications are in?

I'm a technician at he moment. I have an electrical engineering degree.

I'm totally against the OP's bull but your post???? Why go out of your way to not make friends with Irish people?

I'm totally against the OP's bull but your post???? Why go out of your way to not make friends with Irish people?

Because he is right :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The op didn't say everyone who goes to Australia is an ejit; he said every ejit is going to Australia.

Boombastic wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people go to travel around and have never ventured as far as Nimbin or any other places apart from the usual cities. I got the frick out of bally bondi after 3 days.

Nimbin is one of the most decrepit dumps that I've ever seen - why even go there except to buy drugs (which you can do anywhere if you're that way inclined).

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Well I'm in oz at the moment, I never ever wanted to go here as I had pre conceived notions about the place been full of loud mouth aussies playing the most stupid sports invented(aussie rules).

But my girlfriend got offered a job and I was given a spouse visa so I said what the hell, I've found the place to be everything I thought it was above and an incredibly boring sweat box, 40 degrees at the moment outside so sitting in until 6pm and then I should be able to go for a walk.

Anyway turns out my girlfriend is homesick, so after a short 6 months here we are going back, we've been both offered jobs in Dublin and I've been offered one in Toronto were my little brother lives, Toronto been there before and love the place so I hope girlfriend might go and return the favor.

oz not for everyone;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Most people I know who've gone to Oz, which is quite a big number now that I think of it, have made a fine living for themselves.

Lots of them working in the outback while others are in the cities like Perth or Sydney (one lucky fùck is on a $90k a year)

Money might be tempting but I've no interest in living down under.

GF and I have given serious thought to leaving and moving to Canada though we can't do that until our animals live out their lives, which should be around 3 or 4 years max bar the rabbit who we'll take with us :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm over here in Bris, won't lie if it wasn't for the GF I'd probably leave. It's bloody hot in this country.

Having said that, if I was to leave it'd be back to London where I was for 7+ years before coming here. Hate Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I am a pipe welder and would be doing 300 a day easy. But ....

Its so feckin hot!!!!!!!! You always want to be home after a while.... A least I did.
    Fair play to those who want to try it. Been their (not there but other places) done that.

Takes balls to do it. The haters wont have the required balls. Let them rant . The doers do it. The home birds stay safe in economic recession.

Because he is right :pac:

Total bollox...good people are good people and bad people the same.

I have friends from lots of places but to cut off from the country where you are from is like p!issing on it.

So many great things about Irish people that I miss being over here...Obviously not the begruding but those gobsh!tes would still be like that if I was back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

His attitude is pretty stupid but I know where it comes from. Nothing worse than Irish people who only want to be friend with Irish people and hang out in the Irish bars getting stupid drunk.

Having said that my best friend over here is an irish guy i had never met before i got out here. two of share a 3 bed house but there are very few other irish in our circle of friends.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Jacob T wrote: »
    Not San Marino anyway

He didn't die in San Marino you fool.

Ares wrote: »
    He didn't die in San Marino you fool.

Senna did

Sundy wrote: »
    Senna did

No he didn't.

Ares wrote: »
    No he didn't.

Right be died in Bologna but was killed in San Marino.. Happy?

Sundy wrote: »
    Right be died in Bologna but was killed in San Marino.. Happy?

Wrong again my friend. The crash happened in Imola, in Italy. He died in Bologna. At no stage that day did Senna go into, or leave, San Marino.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Nailz wrote: »
    Given that I know quite of a few of these "eejits" who are making there way to Australia, I must say... I agree with you — partially.

One of them, who is a very good friend of mine, was actually working a well payed job as a chef at a very famous restaurant owned and managed by a popular celebrity chef, who had his rented accommodation for work organised and paid for by the management, this being his career of choice which he pursued since he left secondary school. Now it's not exactly like he didn't have a choice is it?

The rest of them fall into one of two categories;
    1. Lazy fucks who could but wouldn't work while they where here who just wanted to go to Australia because they wanted to for the craic.
    2. Lads who had work here or could work here, but decided to leave because most of their mates were out in Australia.

Now I can understand why they went, and that's fair enough depending on what they want to do, but it's not like these boys had to go, far from it actually, and to be fair most of them would probably be the first to admit that.
    There probably are people who went off to Australia because they really had to, it's just that I haven't met them yet.

A group of about 6 or 7 that I know are heading over most of which fall under the first category you have, the majority of them haven't worked in 3/4 years due to being thick as planks. They would be the type that put "drinking" as an activity on their Facebook pages, I think we all know the type I think.

It effects my family in a way as one of the f**wits is a boyfriend to my cousin who is getting dragged along with them, she would have a lot to lose from it as she is one of two of the people going that have a job here and both are quitting in order to head to Oz. They both work in retail jobs so there would be no going back once they return after the year since I hear its difficult get sponsored. My cousin would be a total homebird who still depends on her mother and hasn't even lived on her own yet and she is off to Australia with a bunch of drunken anti-social idiots that don't know their arse from their elbow. I can just imagine the stuff that will happen over there after heading out drinking which is all they do with any down time they have. I just see this as becoming a massive disaster while they're over there. I won't say anything to her over it as it would make me very unpopular with the group she hangs out with as most of them are from my estate. Plus I think it would be like talking to a brick wall as she has been going out with the douche for like 6 years or so now.

Just fearing that she could fly all the way around the world with a bunch of irresponsible drunken morons and saving all that money and quitting her job could be all for nothing if they all eventually get on her nerves and she'll end up coming home in a huff only to join the dole queue.

I think she is making a massive mistake. She at least used to be a clever person before she fell in with this group, now she is becoming as thick as the rest of them. I just can't believe she can't see this going pear shaped. Will probably hear nothing but stories now from my aunt of all the mayhem and I'll be sitting there saying "Knew that would happen, didn't I tell you that would happen?"

I filled her mam in on most of the group she is going with, she hasn't been incredibly fond of the boyfriend either even before I said "I didn't like him and thought he was a total tool" but she wouldn't convince her to stay. She is just using the term "She's big and ugly enough to look after herself" She is probably right but still its bugging me. She could go with anybody but not the crowd she's with. Had to vent once I saw the name of the thread. Sorry for it being so long!

I don't really care what people do, it's their own business, but the numbers "emigrating" is such a load of ****e. Yes there are people emigrating but the majority are people who are sharing a a house with an average of 4 people per room and drinking wine from a box when they can afford it and picking up fines for public urination. It's a long and cliched holiday for a lot of them and if it wasn't for Facebook and having to block so many updates I probably wouldn't think about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I left for a fresh start.

Too old for a holiday visa, (> 30) I had a Job before I left Ireland.

I didn't move to get pissed every night and mess about. I just got fed up of never ending moaning and the will do do nothing about it......

This ogh woe is me stuff and no fight is un-irish.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

latenia wrote: »
    I just don't get why they all want to go to Australia. If I was 22 and unemployed it would rank about 40th on the list of countries I'd choose to spend a year or two in.

Maybe they are going for the work, the sunshine and party lifestyle with their young friends? The mind boggles as to why they are going there... :rolleyes::rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

*sweeping generalisation based on people I know*
    Messers -> Australia
    Grafters -> Canada

• Advertisement

Senna wrote: »
    If I was young free and single I would have left long before now, but I wouldn't choose Australia.

Where would you go out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

A few of my mates have gone down to genuinely find a job and make a better for themselfs,however the majority of people i know who had shipped down under are rip heads and wasters...and tbh im glad to be shot of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Australia is a prime target for the eejit element of Irish society because they perceive Australia to be only about a macho beer-drinking culture, which would be great 'craic' of course. Plus the Irish are legendarily crap at learning foreign languages so that they speak English in Australia is an added bonus for the typical eejit, who is of course a lazy ****ehawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 xwave7000

I was one of those 'ejits' as you eloquently put it. I was 24, stuck ina job with no room for growth, no job opportunities available etc. Made the decision to travel to get more out of my boring life.

To cut a long story short, in the 14 months I spent travelling, I didn't work for only 4 of those(2 spent travelling Asia. I came home again in August, with my Aussie partner in tow, who I met out there. I admit that there is a bad element of young Irish people out there, and it's becoming harder and harder for Irish people to find work as a result - particularly in Perth.

But I have never regretted my decision, found the love of my life and had a whole raft of experiences/adventures on my travels. I would have been an eejit had I stayed here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think a lot of 20 something year olds are going to America and Australia on extended holidays rather than emigrating tbh. My neighbours 3 adult kids are in that age group and there's always one of them 'emigrating' to Australia or America to stay with relatives over there for a relatively short period of time, then they're back again. They seem to get a job in the same workplace as their mother then they're off again.

Seems to be a trend among hard drinking, rebel song singing, redneck wannabe GAA twats.

*Thinly veiled I hate them post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Australia is a prime target for the eejit element of Irish society because they perceive Australia to be only about a macho beer-drinking culture, which would be great 'craic' of course. Plus the Irish are legendarily crap at learning foreign languages so that they speak English in Australia is an added bonus for the typical eejit, who is of course a lazy ****ehawk.

What an awfully shite post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Algeria's the place to go these days. Full of excitement and adventure. New jobs always coming on line, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Nothing wrong with heading to Oz - and it's usually for work, not because it's "trendy" (it's about as trendy as Cliff Richard) but I'd agree there's bound to be a rite of passage/bandwagon-jumping element for some. No harm though.

I'd say the eejit contingent is strong all right - the "I'm maaad and Irish and up for the craic" cringey stuff. What I don't like is the notion from some that there's something wrong with you if you wouldn't like it. 40+ degrees? No thanks, I'm not into being cooked. It's a hostile climate that Celts are not genetically built for, no matter how much they pretend they are.

Same time though, Irish people over there avoiding ANY Irish people... is laughably arrogant and lacking in self awareness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I can never understand the vitriol aimed at people going there, or the ones who are so cultured that they say they'd rather go and live in the Dordogne and paint and speak romantic languages and experience real culture instead of hanging out with beer swilling paddies.

I spent 2 years in Oz/NZ (sorry for going on about it :( ) and had a great time. The fishing, the surfing, the beaches, the great outdoors etc, the weather. Make the most of it while you're there. You can party too but that's not what I remember the most about the place, even though there were bad boozy times and living in party houses etc.
    Don't try and avoid Irish people, just be nice to errrbody and you'll have a nice time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Australia is the new 'Merica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

know plenty that headed over in the last few years who are doing bugger all out there - they were stupid and useless here - not sure what made them think they'd be any less useless in Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I personally think there are pro's and con's by moving to australia, canada etc.

Pros:
    - get a job. make some money.
    - see the world.
    - experience life.

Well you only see Australia or Canada really don't you? Not "the world". You can experience life anywhere, you don't have to move across the world to do that.

As for making money, I have many friends who went over, took ages to get themselves set up. They got crappy commission jobs selling things in malls, or ended up painting fences. And now they are back as skint as when they went.

I'm not saying it's like that for everyone but for many you would be better off moving to London or somewhere in Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

judgefudge wrote: »
    Well you only see Australia or Canada really don't you? Not "the world". You can experience life anywhere, you don't have to move across the world to do that.

As for making money, I have many friends who went over, took ages to get themselves set up. They got crappy commission jobs selling things in malls, or ended up painting fences. And now they are back as skint as when they went.

I'm not saying it's like that for everyone but for many you would be better off moving to London or somewhere in Europe.

Your friends don't sound very smart. I made tonnes of money in Oz, NZ, and Canada. It might be a good idea to actually have a skill you can implement and that is in demand, if you're moving to these places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

1. If those going are indeed "ejits" - be glad they are going and don't moan.

2. To be able to tell they are ALL ejits is an amazing skill you possess.

3. To be able to tell also that they are all going for "trendy" reasons, is an additional amazing insightful ability you have.

4. Maybe, just maybe they are going so that they don't have to put up with lack of work and other problems including stupidity back home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I know a lad who went to Oz 2 years ago. During the boom years in Ireland, he wasn't able to get or keep a job. Now according to his facebook page, he's minting it in construction and will have made enough money to build a house over here when he comes back. He's so busy that he hasn't time to come home. He's building blocks and plastering. When we were in secondary school, you could give him a box of lego and wouldn't be able to figure how the bricks went together.

I suspect that he can't afford to come home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

reilig wrote: »
    ..... in construction .....you could give him a box of lego and wouldn't be able to figure how the bricks went together.

I suspect that he can't afford to come home!

That makes sense, with all the crappy houses that went up during the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

***MAJOR TROLL ALERT!***

Y'all have good day now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

books4sale wrote: »
    ...Y'all have good day now.

"Gid' day mate!" :cool: ;)

...Now lets fire me the barbie' and grill us some ken!

Madam_X wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with heading to Oz - and it's usually for work, not because it's "trendy" (it's about as trendy as Cliff Richard) but I'd agree there's bound to be a rite of passage/bandwagon-jumping element for some. No harm though.
    What age are you out of interest? Around the early 20s with me the majority I know who left left minimum wage-ish jobs to go to another country to try to find a minimum wage job. They're going for the craic but it's their "this ****in country" rubbish that gets on my nerves. They're leaving somewhere that they've managed to save up a few grand to try to find fewer hours and worse work over there. Like I said, I've had to get rid of a load of peoples' updates on facebook because I'm sick of hearing either "only got x hours this week" (x usually being <10) or complaining of a hangover after drinking their cartons of wine or laughing about public urination fines. It's as much emigrating as people going to America for the summer during college is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

Around my local area its def all da ejit.s tat have left.. The lads that draw dole and waste it in the bookie.s. Any 1tat is left is hard workers and have jobs.. And wat i hear back from oz is tat the lads are working 2weeks gettin paid and leaving and goin on beer for 2weeks. So good bye to them and let more ejit.s leave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement