Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every ejit going to Australia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Your friends don't sound very smart. I made tonnes of money in Oz, NZ, and Canada. It might be a good idea to actually have a skill you can implement and that is in demand, if you're moving to these places.

One had a trade (electrician) and one had a business degree. I've also been to Australia to see my ex who is living there still. He had been there nearly two years at the time. I saw first hand how hard it was for him to get set up and he was a carpenter with a lot of experience. He did get residence in the end and he's doing ok but he couldn't even afford to come home for Xmas.

It works for some people, and not for others. I just think people need to realise that it's not as easy to get work, especially in the last year or two, as it used to be. It can be hard to get set up unless you have friends or family there. And for many people you would be better off looking closer to home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

reilig wrote: »
    I know a lad who went to Oz 2 years ago. During the boom years in Ireland, he wasn't able to get or keep a job. Now according to his facebook page, he's minting it in construction and will have made enough money to build a house over here when he comes back. He's so busy that he hasn't time to come home. He's building blocks and plastering. When we were in secondary school, you could give him a box of lego and wouldn't be able to figure how the bricks went together.

I suspect that he can't afford to come home!

I have a friend who is similar.
    He had a job here driving lorries but was bored out of his tree so he went to Oz and started working in a quarry where he gets extra as it's hazardous.

He even gives up his week off (3 weeks on, 1 week off) to continue to work.
    He's been there a year and is absolutely minted.

Another reason is because he is out in the middle of nowhere so there isn't exactly alot of things he can spend his money on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 xwave7000

What age are you out of interest? Around the early 20s with me the majority I know who left left minimum wage-ish jobs to go to another country to try to find a minimum wage job. They're going for the craic but it's their "this ****in country" rubbish that gets on my nerves. They're leaving somewhere that they've managed to save up a few grand to try to find fewer hours and worse work over there. Like I said, I've had to get rid of a load of peoples' updates on facebook because I'm sick of hearing either "only got x hours this week" (x usually being <10) or complaining of a hangover after drinking their cartons of wine or laughing about public urination fines. It's as much emigrating as people going to America for the summer during college is.

What basis have you to generalise about 'leaving minimum wage jobs'? I did the very same, went over and worked in a roadhouse in the middle of nowhere for 6 months on double what I would have earned here in the same timeframe. It may be the case for some people - but the WHV is exactly what it says - a Working HOLIDAY Visa. You are only allowed to work with one company for a maximum of six months. It's designed to travel and work.

I'm not saying I disagree with what you're saying, but to tar everyone with the same brush is a tad OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 HandsomeJonny

Australia is a prime target for the eejit element of Irish society because they perceive Australia to be only about a macho beer-drinking culture, which would be great 'craic' of course. Plus the Irish are legendarily crap at learning foreign languages so that they speak English in Australia is an added bonus for the typical eejit, who is of course a lazy ****ehawk.

Nail hammar head. To be honest most of the world is off limits to Irish people because most of them think they are not good at learning languages which is complete bull****. It's more that they are too lazy to put in the effort. Every Anto could learn to speak any langauge if he puts in the effort. I don't believe in this I can't bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

We must be the only nationality in the world where there's people who take pride in not befriending people from their own country.

What makes you so superior to everyone else? Why is it such an issue for some to befriend people from their own country?

These heads that go out of their way to avoid Irish people are idiots. Would you not talk to someone regardless of where he or she is from if they were nice people?

There's just a hint of self-loathing there if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

xwave7000 wrote: »
    What basis have you to generalise about 'leaving minimum wage jobs'? I did the very same, went over and worked in a roadhouse in the middle of nowhere for 6 months on double what I would have earned here in the same timeframe. It may be the case for some people - but the WHV is exactly what it says - a Working HOLIDAY Visa. You are only allowed to work with one company for a maximum of six months. It's designed to travel and work.

I'm not saying I disagree with what you're saying, but to tar everyone with the same brush is a tad OTT.

+1

There was just under 5000 Irish people qualified for migration last year and 3700 the year before. (usually about 2500 per year) and that's a fact.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/99680/236829.png

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/99680/236828.png

Where as there are 30,000 on 1 year holiday visa's, most are alright but you do get the fair share of clowns. Its the same as places like Santa Ponsa and Magaluf in July you get a whole heap of Irish families and then you get those that everyone has encountered at some stage ...ya know the type the loud mouthed f**kers that are tanked before they even get on the plane and your praying they are not in your resort (they always are) and they run off the transfer bus straight into the pool fully clothed. Its just a fact of life and you are going get ejits everywhere, also plenty of ejits stay at home in Ireland as well there always threads on AH about acts of muppetry all the time.

If you have a good brain in your box and work hard you can have a fantastic life in Australia.

I was responding to someone else, hence why I said what I said the way I did. I know there are people actually emigrating and that, but from what I've seen the majority of young'ins are going over for the laugh and leaving themselves worse-off financially. That's there choice, it's the whinging around it that gets on my nerves.
    Also the one company thing seems to have little bearing on reality for a lot of them. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Went a few years ago for the year and it was the best craic ever. Warm weather, lovely beeches, lots of care free people doing care free stuff.

Much rather be there for the year then to be stuck in the normal, grey, wet routine at home.

OP banned for trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I'm not sure is it fair to classify the majority as eejits, but an awful lot of them are. From my Leaving Certificate class for example, which finished in 2005, about 15 have went to Australia. Of these 15, about 5 of them went to college, graduated, and they decided for one reason or another, to head to Australia in search of work and a better quality of life.

The other 10 or so however are absolute, complete and utter wasters. The kind who was always in trouble (not serious trouble but you know what I mean) back home and were nothing but disruptive to others trying to give the Leaving Cert a decent stab. They aren't going out there to work, they are going out there to drink, and do the odd bit of work to fuel their drinking. It's this group which is really tainting the view of the former group, which is really a shame, as anyone who wants to go out there and enjoy themselves in a socially acceptable manner should be able to do so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm loving all the people who are over in Oz getting so defensive over the OP's post. Read the sentence! All the ejits are going to OZ. NOT everyone who's gone to Oz is an ejit.

Most of you agree with it yet feel the need to vehemently defend your own choice to try and make a new life somewhere else. Why so defensive?? Fair play to you, best wishes, now kindly get over yourselves.

Also anyone who actively avoids all other Irish people yet celebrates their new-found English, German, etc friends is is just as much of an ejit as the ones who live with 12 other Irish people and drink wine out of a box. Arguably more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't get why people want to get as far away from Ireland as humanely possible is, Ireland is not that bad. If jobs are an issue then the EU is an open market with some of the strongest economies in the world, no visa required and only a 2 hour flight away on low cost airlines.

jester77 wrote: »
    I don't get why people want to get as far away from Ireland as humanely possible is, Ireland is not that bad. If jobs are an issue then the EU is an open market with some of the strongest economies in the world, no visa required and only a 2 hour flight away on low cost airlines.

You generally need the local lingo though and that takes a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

JDunphy wrote: »
    It seems to me that every ejit is going to australia now because its the trendy thing to do.

This has been going on since 1800s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

They certainly aren't eejits, probably doing the right thing in going away, and its a toss up between Canada and Oz at this stage.

Personally when I've finished my degree its off to Canada I go for a year or 2, sure I'm not going anywhere fast here.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    You generally need the local lingo though and that takes a long time.

Poor excuse imo, a few weeks of lessons before you go will give the basics and once you are there you will pick it fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Went a few years ago for the year and it was the best craic ever. Warm weather, lovely beeches, lots of care free people doing care free stuff.

Much rather be there for the year then to be stuck in the normal, grey, wet routine at home.

OP banned for trolling.

correction: OP banned for having opinions you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

but the WHV is exactly what it says - a Working HOLIDAY Visa. You are only allowed to work with one company for a maximum of six months.

You really think so? Robert Walters can have you in a job for the 2 years...AND do you really know anyone in construction who is working by the 6 month rule???

If you do, you must know some plonkers for tradies.

Nail hammar head. To be honest most of the world is off limits to Irish people because most of them think they are not good at learning languages which is complete bull****. It's more that they are too lazy to put in the effort. Every Anto could learn to speak any langauge if he puts in the effort. I don't believe in this I can't bull****.

I lived in Spain for two years and learnt Spanish. What you're saying is not true. We go where the work is. The work is in Australia.

We already speak English...we don't need another language despite however nice it would be to be able to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Leftist wrote: »
    correction: OP banned for having opinions you don't like.

What opinion would that be?

I see things you don't.

Dont worry, they will be back in another guise.

• Advertisement

Poor excuse imo, a few weeks of lessons before you go will give the basics and once you are there you will pick it fairly quick.

That's a bit of a myth tbh and I'm speaking as someone who's lived in Spain 3 and a half years. You don't just pick it up from simply living here and it takes a long time to get to a near fluent level. Lucky for me my job (teaching English) doesn't require the language but I know people who've had serious difficulties getting office jobs without a very good grasp of the native tongue. Why would they hire someone who speaks the native language fluently and more than likely has a good level of English (outside Italy and Spain) as well?

It's not as easy as you're making out.

You really think so? Robert Walters can have you in a job for the 2 years...AND do you really know anyone in construction who is working by the 6 month rule???

If you do, you must know some plonkers for tradies.

Don't know any tradies I'm afraid - if you paid attention I also said I was back home now. I don't care what other people do in fairness, I abided by the rules.

Of course I was paid on the books, paying tax... same can't be said for every tradie over there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'll tell you something about ejits who go to Australia

Don't know any tradies I'm afraid - if you paid attention I also said I was back home now. I don't care what other people do in fairness, I abided by the rules.

Of course I was paid on the books, paying tax... same can't be said for every tradie over there.

How would you know if you don't know any tradies?

I pay taxes too. If you knew tradies, you'd know that most employers want ABN not tax file...Why would anyone on a holiday visa make it their business to file their taxes at the end of their holiday? Right, no one does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

javagal wrote: »
    From the shows I've seen about people my age going over.
    They go on giving out about how awful it is to live in Ireland on the dole and how great the money is in oz.
    Yet,still about 12 of them live in one house and they drink wine from boxes.
    No thank you!!
    Pikeys in the sun!

iv seen them shows, heard an irish guy say "this is the place to be, Ireland is nothing now, im never going back" I was thinking have some fcuking respect to the country you were raised in, really pi$$ed me off. Ireland is still a great country in many ways, hope the likes of that guy never comes back.

How would you know if you don't know any tradies?

I pay taxes too. If you knew tradies, you'd know that most employers want ABN not tax file...Why would anyone on a holiday visa make it their business to file their taxes at the end of their holiday? Right, no one does.

Fair enough. I'll bow to your better knowledge of this.

You did however, take a single part of my post and manage to turn it into something I never mentioned - I never said I worked as a tradie. and I only stated what I did while in Oz - and the factual terms of the WHV - can't see how there's any issue.

Whether people abide by the rules is none of my concern at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

iv seen them shows, heard an irish guy say "this is the place to be, Ireland is nothing now, im never going back" I was thinking have some fcuking respect to the country you were raised in, really pi$$ed me off. Ireland is still a great country in many ways, hope the likes of that guy never comes back.

+1

The reality is far from what the TV shows portray. While the wages are higher - so too is the cost of living. I didn't spend much time in any of the bigger cities(3 weeks in Sydney, 1-2 weeks in Perth) but even in the smaller towns EVERYTHING is so much more expensive. I honestly don't know how people can afford to work on 2 week on, 2 week off basis!

That's a bit of a myth tbh and I'm speaking as someone who's lived in Spain 3 and a half years. You don't just pick it up from simply living here and it takes a long time to get to a near fluent level. Lucky for me my job (teaching English) doesn't require the language but I know people who've had serious difficulties getting office jobs without a very good grasp of the native tongue. Why would they hire someone who speaks the native language fluently and more than likely has a good level of English (outside Italy and Spain) as well?

It's not as easy as you're making out.

I've lived in Germany for well over 10 years. The company I work for has 29 different nationalities working for it. A lot of them came here with little to no German. German is the language spoken in the office and most of them may not be fluent after 1 year, but they are more than capable of having a conversation in German. If you are immersed in the language every day then you will pick it up, you have no choice.

As for hiring, it's not always possible to find people locally. We can't find the people we require in Germany, so we have to look further afield, even outside the EU.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Spent a year there.

*Insert hugely long rant here.*

• Site Banned Posts: 4 skellyboy24

Caliden wrote: »
    I have a friend who is similar.
    He had a job here driving lorries but was bored out of his tree so he went to Oz and started working in a quarry where he gets extra as it's hazardous.

He even gives up his week off (3 weeks on, 1 week off) to continue to work.
    He's been there a year and is absolutely minted.

Another reason is because he is out in the middle of nowhere so there isn't exactly alot of things he can spend his money on :pac:

he must have the sex drive of a towel

I've lived in Germany for well over 10 years. The company I work for has 29 different nationalities working for it. A lot of them came here with little to no German. German is the language spoken in the office and most of them may not be fluent after 1 year, but they are more than capable of having a conversation in German. If you are immersed in the language every day then you will pick it up, you have no choice.

As for hiring, it's not always possible to find people locally. We can't find the people we require in Germany, so we have to look further afield, even outside the EU.

But who in their right mind would want to live in Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Jealousy is a mother****er

• Site Banned Posts: 4 skellyboy24

Jealousy is a mother****er

been there for a year its great but wouldn't be jealous about it..unless i was a culchie they have nothing to keep them here

But who in their right mind would want to live in Germany?

One of the strongest economies in the world, low unemployment, competent politicians, great healthcare system, great infrastructure, central Europe with easy access to the continent, good work ethic, great lifestyle (everything doesn't evolve around the pub), pubs open 24 hours, good value for money, good weather with proper summers and not too hot... I could go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Why do people care so much about what other people choose to do? The way I see it is - If you want to go, go. If you want to stay, stay. Shouldn't be getting judged for either choice.

I was only joking about my comment above.

Can I ask you what you do? Surely you'd need at least a decent grasp of the native language to get a job in a company there? Perhaps if you're very qualified in a particular area like IT they'd make an exception but for a young, recent graduate (or a young person without a degree), Australia seems like a better option.

Perhaps Germany is the exception because of how strong their economy is but Germany is fairly niche. I'm fairly open-minded about living anywhere but it's one country I'd rule out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Heading to Asia myself. Sub-Saharan Africa is a fall-back option too. Probably never coming back permanently either. Boards and Barry's Tea will be my only link.

One of the strongest economies in the world, low unemployment, competent politicians, great healthcare system, great infrastructure, central Europe with easy access to the continent, good work ethic, great lifestyle (everything doesn't evolve around the pub), pubs open 24 hours, good value for money, good weather with proper summers and not too hot... I could go on.

But the people are a bit square, no?

been there for a year its great but wouldn't be jealous about it..unless i was a culchie they have nothing to keep them here

Define culchie?? I'll definitely go back once I get my permanent visa sorted out - what's not to like? Better weather, more job opportunities... why would I stay here drawing unemployment benefit and draining everyone's taxes when I could be working over there?

And no, I'll state it again, I didn't work as a tradie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

They have towns and even cities there too, so I'm told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Germans are great craic. Not as open and friendly as Spaniards but they definitely don't deserve the rep they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Op its there life. Let them do what they want. They may not be happy living here. But I wouldn't pick Australia.

Germans are great craic. Not as open and friendly as Spaniards but they definitely don't deserve the rep they get.

what about the rap they get for being tight, do they deserve that?

I was only joking about my comment above.

Can I ask you what you do? Surely you'd need at least a decent grasp of the native language to get a job in a company there? Perhaps if you're very qualified in a particular area like IT they'd make an exception but for a young, recent graduate (or a young person without a degree), Australia seems like a better option.

Perhaps Germany is the exception because of how strong their economy is but Germany is fairly niche. I'm fairly open-minded about living anywhere but it's one country I'd rule out.

I work in IT and there is a big shortage of people here, but it's much the same world wide, even in Ireland there's a shortage. If you don't have a degree then it would be near impossible to get a job without having German. The easiest place to get a job would be somewhere like Berlitz but even for that you need to have some sort of a degree.

Just the skinny ones, the fat ones are round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

I would much rather New Zealand. I have been to both and found Australia boring, New Zealand though was Incredible and will definitely be going back.

what about the rap they get for being tight, do they deserve that?

Depends on what you call tight. If you consider not spending what you don't have then you could say they are tight. The Germans save for things they want, that's why you will notice that a lot of places don't take credit card here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think the Germans are far more outgoing and not as insular or xenophobic as the Spaniards, in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm totally against the OP's bull but your post???? Why go out of your way to not make friends with Irish people?

Familiarity breeds contempt? ;)

Depends on what you call tight. If you consider not spending what you don't have then you could say they are tight. The Germans save for things they want, that's why you will notice that a lot of places don't take credit card here.

things I call tight would be, not buying a round of drinks in a pub, sitting for 2 hours with the same pint, always thinking about the cost of things rather than just buying what you want and enjoying life.not having enough self respect to buy nice things for yourself especially clothes, the kind of people who buy blue shoes in lidl that cost 3 euro.people with good jobs but still live like a student.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

scdublin wrote: »
    Why do people care so much about what other people choose to do? The way I see it is - If you want to go, go. If you want to stay, stay. Shouldn't be getting judged for either choice.

Ideally, yes. Of course. But I fear a large section of boards would implode if we were logical about the whole thing :D

Advertisement