Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every ejit going to Australia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

This thread reminds me of the time i was yapping to my English teacher about Oz,would have been in the late 90s before all the ****storm kicked off.It never appealed to me then nor now,he described it as a place similar to America just further.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 HandsomeJonny

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    But the people are a bit square, no?

I live in Germany too and to be honest I think it's great. I've been learning German for over ten years now and understand most of the things in day to day life. I can read Newspapers and watch TV too. And I think the essential part of thinking Germans are not boring is learning to speak to them in German. They will always seem weird in English. They have different humour that just doesn't work at all in English. They are not too bad really. Most of the younger generation are very open minded and ambitous and really have their heads screwed on.

In general it is a fantastic place to live and the quality of life for me is very hi. Also the fact that I can pop home for a return flight of anywhere between 60 and 150 euro is a real plus.

The big difference between the Irish and them is their ability to not let issues last very long. If they have a problem with someone or something tackle it straight on and they really take criticism on the chin. The learn from mistakes. I get the feeling in Ireland that people are afraid to act on certain issues because they are afraid of embarrassment.

I find in Ireland issues are not raised because of the fear of offending somebody. Sure we are great craic and love taking the piss but we are really bad at constuctive criticism. Most people in Ireland if you give them advice they will think "ah look at him on his high horst thinking he is better than me and telling me what to do. Sure what does he know?" I hope this makes sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

drdeadlift wrote: »
    This thread reminds me of the time i was yapping to my English teacher about Oz,would have been in the late 90s before all the ****storm kicked off.It never appealed to me then nor now,he described it as a place similar to America just further.

No way, not like USA at all I think. People are far more similar to Irish/UK people. I have worked in the states with my current job and it's vastly different culturally, Australia is far more like Ireland/UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

what about the rap they get for being tight, do they deserve that?

I think I've got your stereotypes mixed up. The Germans have quite the history with the ones who carry that particular stereotype.

Germans tend to be awfully careful with money, I'm not sure tight is the right word, Swabian housewives and what have you. That's why they didn't go nuts in the boom like the Paddies and Spanish etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I think I've got your stereotypes mixed up. The Germans have quite the history with the ones who carry that particular stereotype.

the americans or poles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

been there for a year its great but wouldn't be jealous about it..unless i was a culchie they have nothing to keep them here

I have no interest in going tbh but i don't care if anyone else does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

things I call tight would be, not buying a round of drinks in a pub, sitting for 2 hours with the same pint, always thinking about the cost of things rather than just buying what you want and enjoying life.not having enough self respect to buy nice things for yourself especially clothes, the kind of people who buy blue shoes in lidl that cost 3 euro.people with good jobs but still live like a student.

The Germans normally don't buy rounds, usually you just order as you go and then pay your tab at the end of the night. If you are in a really busy bar then it would be different and if there is a round going they will pay. They are not ones for sitting around a pint for 2 hours, the only people I've seen do this are the French. I only hit the Irish bars when rugby is on and some of the bars here had to put a €10 charge on the door for the French games to counter this, you got the €10 back in beer once inside.

The older generation are tight but these are post-war people who had to scrap and scrape for a living while rebuilding their country, so it's kind of understandable. The younger generation are different and have no problem spending, although their fashion sense is very questionable at times.

jester77 wrote: »
    although their fashion sense is very questionable at times.

I agree, but it's rich coming from Irish people, when I was home at Christmas nearly everyone in my area was walking around in those grey cloth tracksuit bottoms! Hilarious really!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm moving over to Australia in 2 weeks, on a WHV, and i certainly don't consider myself an eejit. I've a job here that i've been in almost 3 years, but which doesn't offer much in the way of progression, so i'd been thinking of leaving for a while. And when i thought about it, i figured why not look elsewhere. I'm single, no mortgage/loans, nothing really to hold me here.

And I'm not going because i hate Ireland, or i can't find work, or want to go for a mad year of drinking. I'm going because i want to experience life somewhere else, try and find myself a good job, and enjoy a warmer climate for a while (wherever it is that i settle down).

I would also like to live in New Zealand and Canada...which i will probably do after a year or two in Melbourne.

So if that makes me an eejit, than i guess i'm an eejit.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind living in germany, I like it. The people were very friendly when I was over there in a couple places, with my stumbling german :)
    Fashion seems a lot better than irish!

The Germans normally don't buy rounds, usually you just order as you go and then pay your tab at the end of the night. If you are in a really busy bar then it would be different and if there is a round going they will pay. They are not ones for sitting around a pint for 2 hours, the only people I've seen do this are the French. I only hit the Irish bars when rugby is on and some of the bars here had to put a €10 charge on the door for the French games to counter this, you got the €10 back in beer once inside.

The older generation are tight but these are post-war people who had to scrap and scrape for a living while rebuilding their country, so it's kind of understandable. The younger generation are different and have no problem spending, although their fashion sense is very questionable at times.

ok, just the amount of stories you hear about how tight the german tourists are when they come here, same goes for the americans, heard a funny story about a group of germans who came into a local bar last summer, 1 guy orders a pint, then 4 whiskey glasses, the barman thought he was going to smaple some irish whiskey but instead he divides up the beer from his pint into the 4 whiskey glasses and hands them to his friends:pac:everyone in the pub nearly spat out their beer laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I agree, but it's rich coming from Irish people, when I was home at Christmas nearly everyone in my area was walking around in those grey cloth tracksuit bottoms! Hilarious really!

You mean like ones the lad in this picture wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

I see things you don't.
    Spoken like a true mod of Conspiracy Theories :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I don't get people moving to somewhere so far either - if it's just about language, why not the UK? I agree with Eve though it's not that straightforward to just pick up another languge. The person who said they picked up German easily - well seeing as so many Germans speak excellent English, I'm assuming that was a big part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I work in IT and there is a big shortage of people here, but it's much the same world wide, even in Ireland there's a shortage. If you don't have a degree then it would be near impossible to get a job without having German. The easiest place to get a job would be somewhere like Berlitz but even for that you need to have some sort of a degree.

Yes but that's IT. It's the one area where there's still a shortage and they're looking internationally to hire (even here). Not everyone can work in IT, obviously. You're making it out like it's easy to get a job in a European country with only a basic knowledge of the lingo and I'm saying it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I think the Germans are far more outgoing and not as insular or xenophobic as the Spaniards, in general.

Not sure about the outgoing bit (they'd have more of a reliance on alcohol than the Spaniards, I think) but it's not hard to be less insular or xenophobic than the Spanish. I have gripes with the people here as well tbh and that'd be two of them.

I was only joking about the Germans though. They do seem friendly but my original point was I can understand why a young person would choose Oz over it. Obviously I've chosen a European country over Oz but I'm at a different stage in my life looking for different things. When I was 21, partying and having the craic in the sun while working some dead end job with no responsibility appealed but that's just me. And saying it's easy to move to a European country and pick up the local lingo and get a job is not as easy as that poster made it out. Oz would seem like the more hassle-free option and you don't want hassle at that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

I'm sure there's a lot of intelligent people gone there trying to make a good go of things, my cousin is in his early 30s (plumber) and went with his wife (a nurse) both went and are making a good living.

Anyone my own age (early 20s) that I know there are thick as two short planks, back and forth as the holiday visa runs out, spend the days picking melons and getting sunburnt and the nights getting hammered. Any photo album I've seen on FB of someone in Australia makes it look like Mayo in the sun.

Not for me thanks.

Any of the more intelligent folk my age are gone to London, Canada, Germany or the US. I spent last summer working and interning in San Francisco, now back finishing my degree.

Next year it'll be US for me for three months to intern (paid) then on to Canada with the experience and a degree for the better job market, higher wages and lower cost of living. Love the US but if you want to live on either coast you either need a lot of money or be willing to accept a low standard of living and not much security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Yeah it's obviously stepped up a lot in the past few years as the recession kicked in, suppose there are more jobs for trades outside of Ireland at the minute and it's probably a good time to go travelling , but most people I know who went travelling went to better places than Australia.

But it is a trend or 'done thing' to a lot of people , you know the typically now boring conversation of.

'Oh I went travelling , to explore myself in Australia ya know'
    'did you yeah?'
    ' Ya ya , it was amaze balls I also do MMA and go to the gym. I like to keep fit ya know , lift weights and tone myself etc'
    'zzzzzz...sorry I got lost in your conversation and the other hundred ejets in here saying the exact same crap'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Plan on going to Canada myself in a few months, Australia doesn't appeal at all, hate the heat so I'd melt, its forever and a day away compared to 7hrs to Toronto (think about it you spend longer at work every day) and there's far, far too many things there hellbent on killing you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

krudler wrote: »
    Plan on going to Canada myself in a few months, Australia doesn't appeal at all, hate the heat so I'd melt, its forever and a day away compared to 7hrs to Toronto (think about it you spend longer at work every day) and there's far, far too many things there hellbent on killing you :pac:

I'd sooner goto Canada myself too. Appeals to me more. The heat would do my head in after a while in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I'd rather heat than p*ssing rain, at least I can wear less clothes.

I hate wearing clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

JDunphy wrote: »
    It seems to me that every ejit is going to australia now because its the trendy thing to do.

Most of these young people are gone to look for work. I have great admiration for the many that I know who have gone. I'm sure there are some "ejits" gone too but I'm equally sure there are some "ejits" who remain at home.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Madam_X wrote: »
    I don't get people moving to somewhere so far either - if it's just about language, why not the UK? I agree with Eve though it's not that straightforward to just pick up another languge. The person who said they picked up German easily - well seeing as so many Germans speak excellent English, I'm assuming that was a big part of it.

Seeing the world, experiencing different cultures, getting out from under the rain for once... it's not all about the money y'know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Working in Ireland right now, student support classes for the Junior and Leaving Cert. Moving to Thailand in Sept to teach. I am currently doing my TEFL course and am nearly completed it. Going to spend a year or two in Thailand and then come back to Europe to teach. I used to live in Malta and have been in touch with the language schools and they asked me to register with them. I am also looking at Italy and Spain. I love teaching and enjoy seeing the joy on the faces of my students as they make progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm not sure tight is the right word, Swabian housewives and what have you.

Thought that said 'swapping housewives'. Pretty disappointed now to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I think parents should make their kids aware of the reality of the situation before they go over to Oz for a year or 2 . Chances are that if you dont have a particular type of degree that after a max of 2 years your visa will be up . That could mean some people 23-24 have left their job at home to 'live the dream' in Oz , yet after 2 years could be back home in their parents boxroom starting from scratch again . Most likely all they did when they were away was work in order to drink and spend a lot of time of beaches to upload pics onto fb . Obviously others had no work here even though they have qualifications and them moving county to work is the only logical option for them . Good luck to them hopefully they can make a life for themselves out there , or at least for a few years until this country picks up again ( if they want to come home ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

idea for this thread shamelessly lifted from Tommy Tiernans current show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Andy!! wrote: »
    Seeing the world, experiencing different cultures, getting out from under the rain for once... it's not all about the money y'know...
    I'm talking though about those who are merely emigrating to find work, no other reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Sundy wrote: »
    His attitude is pretty stupid but I know where it comes from. Nothing worse than Irish people who only want to be friend with Irish people and hang out in the Irish bars getting stupid drunk.

I know there is a skanger Irish element that have created a bad impression in Oz, but to be honest, don't most immigrant communities have a tendency to stick to their own type? The Aussies in Dublin (what few are here) hang out in two bars in town, most of the Indians that are here don't mix with locals outside of work, and Poles and other Eastern European nationalities definitely don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

If there were only two countries in the world, Ireland and Australia, we'd be having the opposite of a brain drain right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Sure we are great craic and love taking the piss but we are really bad at constructive criticism. Most people in Ireland if you give them advice they will think "ah look at him on his high-horse thinking he is better than me and telling me what to do. Sure what does he know?" I hope this makes sense.

Agree with all what you say - especially the above.
    Started a few businesses myself locally and every time I did so the back-stabbing and attitudes came from those closest to me and our very own.

Also Germany didn't as such have a "Boom" (as some have might made out here) as Ireland did. Their economy has had its equal ups and downs but generally its still recovering not from one world event but two (if not more). Their economy given their population numbers still needs to grow to be honest (who's don't!).

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭globalwarrior

I arrived in Australia over twenty years ago, travelled overland via Asia and took 12 months to get here.

Went home a couple of times, but was ALWAYS thrilled to return back to oz, arriving at the airport you smell the oppertunity and energised vibe ...

Anyway...

All countries have their plus and minus side, if you are looking for ‘characters’ Ireland has more than its fair share of those.... however dreary the country might be it filled to the rooftops with characters!!

Nonetheless, I left Ireland back then because the country was for the most part a very dreary place ... with way too many narrow minded cute hoores, who were just out for themselves and theirs! Truth is…
    never really knew where I stood with 'the Irish' who were outside of one's inner sanctum... just sayin'.

In contrast, arriving in Aussie, I was struck by the openness of the people and their positive outlook on life. You know exactly where you stand with an Aussie, because they tell it like they see it and for the most part,
    generally speaking, they have a tendency to look at the bright side and the vast majority of Aussies are very laid back.

However, I have met wonderful Irish everywhere in the world ... but I have to say I "click" so much better with the Irish who have travelled and assimilated into another culture … diluted Irish are by far the best!!

Way more interesting and palatable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

I can fully understand that people leave Ireland for Oz at the moment. I personally wouldn't mind going to Oz for a year or 2 but just havent got the money to emigrate and have a couple of people and things that keep me in Ireland at the moment.
    I find it amazing that since 2008 there has been a steady stream of people leaving the country whether to the UK, Oz, US, Canada or other places. I thought when it started that things would calm down and people wouldn't leave as much after 2 or 3 years but the opposite is the case. Some of my friends and friends of friends have just decided in the last year or so to go to Oz, NZ or other places. Not all of them are going to come back I reckon. I am happy for them having the opportunity ot go travelling and/or work abroad. I have done that myself in the past, just not in Oz.
    But it generally starts getting a bit sad after a while cos you get the distinct impression that a lot of younger people are leaving for a long time if they can make it happen in any way. It makes it a bit sad to stay back in Ireland then, particularly this time of year when it's rainy depressing January days and then I see friends' updates on FB of what a great time they are having in Oz.
    I don't begrudge anyone the experience - I think they are right to leave. And I reckon our government better cop on soon because they have already lost some amount of work-experienced and well-qualified people to the rest of the world... And the irony is, then they complain there arent enough graduates around! Well, effin fix the country and do your job and maybe some of the graduates we lost to other countries will come back to good ol' Ireland! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭globalwarrior

"I think parents should make their kids aware of the reality of the situation before they go over to Oz for a year or 2 .

You have got to be kidding you're talking about 23 -24 year olds and you think that their parents should make their kids aware??

Parents should play no role in ones travel and adventure plans, except perhaps to bail one out occassionally :D

"That could mean some people 23-24 have left their job at home to 'live the dream' in Oz , yet after 2 years could be back home in their parents boxroom starting from scratch again .

It's called ... having some FUN, taking a chance and having a life :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

People complain about having no money so they need to go to australia yet they have 5000euro spare cash just hanging around to make the move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

JDunphy wrote: »
    It seems to me that every ejit is going to australia now because its the trendy thing to do.

It's interesting how different people think. :) I would think it's more trendy these days for people to complain about people going to Australia rather than the act itself. In fact scrap Australia, it's trendy to give out about anyone travelling anywhere for a couple of years now.

"Oh yeah uhhh you're such a free spirit going off 'finding the world' and thinking you know everything once you come back"

Eh, nope some people just like to travel :)

And for the record, Australia isn't top of my list to visit/live either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I want to go to the States. That makes me what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Germans tend to be awfully careful with money, I'm not sure tight is the right word, Swabian housewives and what have you. That's why they didn't go nuts in the boom like the Paddies and Spanish etc.

Eh well that and their economy being in the shitter for most of the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Sobanek wrote: »
    I want to go to the States. That makes me what?

Even more of an eejit probably according to a lot of Irish people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I can fully understand that people leave Ireland for Oz at the moment. I personally wouldn't mind going to Oz for a year or 2 but just havent got the money to emigrate and have a couple of people and things that keep me in Ireland at the moment.
    I find it amazing that since 2008 there has been a steady stream of people leaving the country whether to the UK, Oz, US, Canada or other places. I thought when it started that things would calm down and people wouldn't leave as much after 2 or 3 years but the opposite is the case. Some of my friends and friends of friends have just decided in the last year or so to go to Oz, NZ or other places. Not all of them are going to come back I reckon. I am happy for them having the opportunity ot go travelling and/or work abroad. I have done that myself in the past, just not in Oz.
    But it generally starts getting a bit sad after a while cos you get the distinct impression that a lot of younger people are leaving for a long time if they can make it happen in any way. It makes it a bit sad to stay back in Ireland then, particularly this time of year when it's rainy depressing January days and then I see friends' updates on FB of what a great time they are having in Oz.
    I don't begrudge anyone the experience - I think they are right to leave. And I reckon our government better cop on soon because they have already lost some amount of work-experienced and well-qualified people to the rest of the world... And the irony is, then they complain there arent enough graduates around! Well, effin fix the country and do your job and maybe some of the graduates we lost to other countries will come back to good ol' Ireland! :)

another reason to get off facebook

People complain about having no money so they need to go to australia yet they have 5000euro spare cash just hanging around to make the move

Just hanging around?
    Are you that unknowing or just trying to sound amazingly informed?

A lot of the time, the money needed just to quality to get in, is borrowed from family and/or friends.
    Thats how a good few friends of mine alone managed it.

They certainly did not have 5,000 just hanging around.
    What a stupid statement!

another reason to get off facebook

Hardly ever use it these days anymore anyways so it's all good :)

But I console myself by telling myself that a lot of those friends that are in Oz at the moment will have to come back eventually because they won't all get their Visa extended... Also, I think depending on your age, emigrating to Oz for a work/drinking year or two can be a bit of a bad move for your career and finances in general. After all, Oz is one of the most expensive English-speaking countries in the world to live in at the moment!
    So, for now I'm happy enough in Ireland saving money for a holiday in Oz or similar some day. Have the bf and nice friends here as well so no reason to leave :) Hopefully it will stay that way!

Hardly ever use it these days anymore anyways so it's all good :)
    thats what they all say:)

But I console myself by telling myself that a lot of those friends that are in Oz at the moment will have to come back eventually because they won't all get their Visa extended... Also, I think depending on your age, emigrating to Oz for a work/drinking year or two can be a bit of a bad move for your career and finances in general. After all, Oz is one of the most expensive English-speaking countries in the world to live in at the moment!
    So, for now I'm happy enough in Ireland saving money for a holiday in Oz or similar some day. Have the bf and nice friends here as well so no reason to leave :) Hopefully it will stay that way!

I dont ever want to leave Ireland(appart from holidays), its a great country.
    bet the guys in oz secretly miss it but cover it up with pics of them on a beach in oz, quiet sad really.

Biggins wrote: »
    Just hanging around?
    Are you that unknowing or just trying to sound amazingly informed?

A lot of the time, the money needed just to quality to get in, is borrowed from family and/or friends.
    Thats how a good few friends of mine alone managed it.

They certainly did not have 5,000 just hanging around.
    What a stupid statement!

That's fair enough. A lot of people do that. But looking at the friends that I know that went to Oz they defo all had a good bit of money saved up. They just didnt have the patience or the will to stick around Ireland while the country is in economic turmoil and everyone mopes and complains about the way things are. So, I do think the majority of people aren't going out of necessity. I know nobody among my friends that really had to go for financial reasons or whichever. They just wanted to live in a country with better weather and where people are less depressed about the recession etc. for a while.

That's fair enough. A lot of people do that. But looking at the friends that I know that went to Oz they defo all had a good bit of money saved up. They just didnt have the patience or the will to stick around Ireland while the country is in economic turmoil and everyone mopes and complains about the way things are. So, I do think the majority of people aren't going out of necessity. I know nobody among my friends that really had to go for financial reasons or whichever. They just wanted to live in a country with better whether and where people are less depressed about the recession etc. for a while.

As is anyones right (and I'm sure you will agree.)
    As for those that saved, they did just that - they didn't have just 5,000 hanging around, again, as I think you know.

Biggins wrote: »
    As is anyones right (and I'm sure you will agree.)
    As for those that saved, they did just that - they didn't have just 5,000 hanging around, again, as I think you know.

Oh yeah, of course it's their right. If I had the money, I would be off to Oz, the US or Italy or something as well. I am 100% in favour of people taking advantage of their options if they have none here or feel like they want to travel a bit.
    Some saved the money, some borrowed it, some did get it from family members or similar. In any case, who cares how they got the money as long as they're happy where they are now!

...In any case, who cares how they got the money as long as they're happy where they are now!

Exactly.

We live only on this merry-go-round of a planet once.
    There is a lot of begrudgery around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Even more of an eejit probably according to a lot of Irish people :rolleyes:
    Wonder why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    We must be the only nationality in the world where there's people who take pride in not befriending people from their own country.

What makes you so superior to everyone else? Why is it such an issue for some to befriend people from their own country?

These heads that go out of their way to avoid Irish people are idiots. Would you not talk to someone regardless of where he or she is from if they were nice people?

There's just a hint of self-loathing there if you ask me.

I often go out of my way to avoid Irish people in Australia, not all but most. Why? Well the majority are backpackers who are "there for the craic" and, apart from a passport, I have absolutely nothing in common with them.

I avoid Irish bars completely because I know exactly what there is in there - lads getting sauced talking about the parish after earning their few bob. Good luck to them and all that, but I've no interest in that sort of lifestyle so why wouldn't I purposely avoid them?

Also, most of them are just passing through so why bother getting to know people who will have fecked off somewhere else in a few weeks anyway?

It's nothing to with 'superiority', 'self-loathing' or any of that other bollox you're going on about, it's simply a different way of life for some of us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement