Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every ejit going to Australia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭globalwarrior

Xavi6
    have to admit I fully understand what you mean, I was a little that way in the beginning; I was more interested in meeting other cultures and getting out there…
    Now, 20 plus years later, I really value my Irish pals of course these are pals whom have also gone the distance, stayed in Australia and made new lives for themselves, from an expat point of view these friendships are very valuable and mean the world to me today :)

lets face some of the new arrivals off the boat are a messy lot, If one would not tolerate them in Ireland, why should one tolerate them out here :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You'd think any ould eejit would be able to spell the word eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

JDunphy wrote: »
    Going to australia is not really expeiering an new life and seeing the world though when you hang out with other irish people drinking beer in your gaa jersey.

only the true eejits do this....... madness
    but it is an amazing country....far superior than here!!!!it only has 4 cities in worlds top 10 places to live........but sure what would i know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I often go out of my way to avoid Irish people in Australia, not all but most. Why? Well the majority are backpackers who are "there for the craic" and, apart from a passport, I have absolutely nothing in common with them.

I avoid Irish bars completely because I know exactly what there is in there - lads getting sauced talking about the parish after earning their few bob. Good luck to them and all that, but I've no interest in that sort of lifestyle so why wouldn't I purposely avoid them?

Also, most of them are just passing through so why bother getting to know people who will have fecked off somewhere else in a few weeks anyway?

It's nothing to with 'superiority', 'self-loathing' or any of that other bollox you're going on about, it's simply a different way of life for some of us.

How do you know? :confused: You don't know them from Adam. I always find it bizaare that people judge a whole section of society be it Irish people or people of a certain race, without even speaking to them. I understand that you don't want to visit Irish bars while you're in a different country, and you certainly don't want to hang out there all the time wearing a GAA/Irish jersey. I get that. But completely avoiding people of your own nationality is bizaare in my opinion.

When I visit another country, I always try and meet the locals and get to know new people, regardless of how long they or I will be in the country. No point in saying "ah I'll only be living here 3 months no point in making new friends" or "ah that Irish bloke will just be here for one year for a piss up, no point". You never know what will happen when you meet new people, regardless of whether they're Irish or foreign :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I often go out of my way to avoid Irish people in Australia, not all but most. Why? Well the majority are backpackers who are "there for the craic" and, apart from a passport, I have absolutely nothing in common with them.

I avoid Irish bars completely because I know exactly what there is in there - lads getting sauced talking about the parish after earning their few bob. Good luck to them and all that, but I've no interest in that sort of lifestyle so why wouldn't I purposely avoid them?

Also, most of them are just passing through so why bother getting to know people who will have fecked off somewhere else in a few weeks anyway?

It's nothing to with 'superiority', 'self-loathing' or any of that other bollox you're going on about, it's simply a different way of life for some of us.

And the funny thing is, loads of people will possibly prejudge you too on the basis of your passport/accent/parish talk. Ain't prejudiced a bitch. What goes around, comes around and all that jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

the type of twats who are in oz wearing the gaa jerseys and havin "mad craic" are the type of idiots who probably think this vid is hilarious, wouldn't blame Xavi6 for avoiding them, id do the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oPGmh6kaUI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As i said before on this subject, even the likes of lads that caused mayhem around housing estates but managed to keep clean criminal records are heading off to Australia. They have "Going Away Parties" and Auntie Mavis who doesnt even own a passport thinks they are going to Mars and gives them a few quid plus a load of other relations and friends do it as well. People can make hundreds, even thousands off these.

I could easily pay for return flights to Australia by just having one of these going away parties. These parties are either incredible egotism or a money making exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

As i said before on this subject, even the likes of lads that caused mayhem around housing estates but managed to keep clean criminal records are heading off to Australia. They have "Going Away Parties" and Auntie Mavis who doesnt even own a passport thinks they are going to Mars and gives them a few quid plus a load of other relations and friends do it as well. People can make hundreds, even thousands off these.

I could easily pay for return flights to Australia by just having one of these going away parties. These parties are either incredible egotism or a money making exercise.

really? a very good mate of mind had a going away party b4 he left for oz, i didnt give him a penny, why would I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

So much giving out in this country. If anything gets popular people just give out about it. You'll find that these people don't travel though. They'll give out about people going. And they'll give out about those who come back. In the meantime, they'll have seen or done sweet f**k all themselves.

Australia is a lovely country. And anybody who experiences it is very lucky. I hope to see it again someday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Birneybau wrote: »
    Where have you been for the last few years?

Jeez.

Probably been too busy re-regging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I didn't go because of (1) not being part of a group of friends going, (2) not having the money and (3) does drink but not outgoing. One of the things I think about is the carbon dioxide footprint of long haul flights.. That has to stop says the environmental people. Also, there is the dole - extremely challenging at the best of times but if you're desperate / going out of your mind, I'd be inclined to read a book... Cheap / company/ is actually a good thing to do / kills a lot of time / makes me feel good. I definately dont regret reading... My main gripe with Ireland is that people seem to be status hogs. I always feel lower than most people for no other reason than others, to me, seem unrealistic about their own place / value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

went off backpacking in Australia when I was 18. friends didn't come after their years of talking about going. first night out in Melbourne drank a keg of wine and got my head kicked in in the city centre.
    was good craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How do you know? :confused: You don't know them from Adam. I always find it bizaare that people judge a whole section of society be it Irish people or people of a certain race, without even speaking to them. I understand that you don't want to visit Irish bars while you're in a different country, and you certainly don't want to hang out there all the time wearing a GAA/Irish jersey. I get that. But completely avoiding people of your own nationality is bizaare in my opinion.

When I visit another country, I always try and meet the locals and get to know new people, regardless of how long they or I will be in the country. No point in saying "ah I'll only be living here 3 months no point in making new friends" or "ah that Irish bloke will just be here for one year for a piss up, no point". You never know what will happen when you meet new people, regardless of whether they're Irish or foreign :)

It's not really that bizarre though when you've lived somewhere for long enough to know the lay of the land and how things go. If anything, the mentality of people coming to Oz from Ireland has changed from wanting to work hard and build a life to just going on the lash for 12 months of escapism.

In my post I did say "most, not all" as I've made some super Irish friends for life through football and that kind of thing, I just don't go out of my way to get amongst the stereotypical "craic".
    And the funny thing is, loads of people will possibly prejudge you too on the basis of your passport/accent/parish talk. Ain't prejudiced a bitch. What goes around, comes around and all that jazz.

Course they will, plenty have already, the difference is I don't mind as it's their prerogative. I don't go straight to the internet and call them idiots like the poster I replied to did just because they have a different mindset.

Different strokes and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

really? a very good mate of mind had a going away party b4 he left for oz, i didnt give him a penny, why would I?

Friends are hardly going to give them cash rewards. Im talking about the local riff raff, im sure your chums are higher esteemed ;) . Lads that used to hang around housing estates causing trouble are even going to Australia now. They gather their families, friends and neighbours into a booked venue to say "goodbye". Its purely a money making exercise. The extended family members probably only see them once a year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

You're making a judgement about them purely because they're Irish and in a bar. Okay you might not be into drinking and "having the craic" and that's fine but you specifically stated you avoid Irish people (you won't even talk to them? :confused:) presuming all they'll talk about is their parish (I don't believe that). That's very presumptuous if you don't mind me saying. You say it has nothing to do with feeling "superior" but I'm afraid that's how it comes across.

If I knew you were avoiding me based on my nationality, I'd presume you were ignorant and unfriendly. I might be wrong but you can see how judging someone without knowing them goes. People are often wrong.

I travelled in South America on my own for 11 months. I'd a couple of incidents where I was avoided by a few Irish people that year and I know they had a similar opinion to you. They presumed I was there to get pissed in the hostels all the time simply because I was Irish. I was "there for the craic" (because I like to have fun) and I drank but I also did a lot on my own, took time out to learn some Spanish, got to know locals, did some volunteering, I'm friendly and have had a few interesting life experiences besides. It was their loss, tbh.

Edit: I haven't been to Oz and don't have an interest in going, so I don't know the set up there but I've met Irish "Irish avoiders" everywhere. Generally speaking, I've noticed something was amiss and the problem usually laid with them, not the Irish.

• Advertisement

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    You're making a judgement about them purely because they're Irish and in a bar. Okay you might not be into drinking and "having the craic" and that's fine but you specifically stated you avoid Irish people (you won't even talk to them? :confused:) presuming all they'll talk about is their parish (I don't believe that). That's very presumptuous if you don't mind me saying. You say it has nothing to do with feeling "superior" but I'm afraid that's how it comes across.

I'll say it again - it's nothing to do with superiority, it's to do with circumstances and having nothing in common.

I've also said "some, not all" in two posts now.
    If I knew you were avoiding me based on my nationality, I'd presume you were ignorant and unfriendly. I might be wrong but you can see how judging someone without knowing them goes. People are often wrong.

You would make a presumption about me even though you've already stated you have a problem with that mentality. You see the irony right?
    I travelled in South America on my own for 11 months. I'd a couple of incidents where I was avoided by a few Irish people that year and I know they had a similar opinion to you. They presumed I was there to get pissed in the hostels all the time simply because I was Irish. I was "there for the craic" (because I like to have fun) and I drank but I also did a lot on my own, took time out to learn some Spanish, got to know locals, did some volunteering, I'm friendly and have had a few interesting life experiences besides. It was their loss, tbh.

Good on you, and I'm sure you're lovely but surely you can see how you passing through on your travels would have little or nothing in common with someone living and working in the same place for years.

The crux of my point is that just because people share a passport doesn't mean they have to co-exist or go out of their way to.
    Edit: I haven't been to Oz and don't have an interest in going, so I don't know the set up there but I've met Irish "Irish avoiders" everywhere. Generally speaking, I've noticed something was amiss and the problem usually laid with them, not the Irish.

Tbh if you haven't been to Oz then I don't think you're in a position to judge me like you're trying to. There's a reason for stories like the below -

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/michael-clifford/sobering-lessons-for-young-irish-abroad-199183.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0509/1224315799876.html

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2012/05/09/wa-police-concerned-about-antisocial-irish/18215

However, if you want to class me as an "Irish Avoider" for consciously not wanting to get amongst that scene then so be it.

I'll say it again - it's nothing to do with superiority, it's to do with circumstances and having nothing in common.

I've also said "some, not all" in two posts now.

You would make a presumption about me even though you've already stated you have a problem with that mentality. You see the irony right?

Good on you, and I'm sure you're lovely but surely you can see how you passing through on your travels would have little or nothing in common with someone living and working in the same place for years.

The crux of my point is that just because people share a passport doesn't mean they have to co-exist or go out of their way to.

Tbh if you haven't been to Oz then I don't think you're in a position to judge me like you're trying to. There's a reason for stories like the below -

http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/michael-clifford/sobering-lessons-for-young-irish-abroad-199183.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0509/1224315799876.html

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2012/05/09/wa-police-concerned-about-antisocial-irish/18215

However, if you want to class me as an "Irish Avoider" for consciously not wanting to get amongst that scene then so be it.

There's no irony. To ignore someone based solely on their nationality is objectively ignorant at the very least. If you're saying you avoid Irish who act in a certain way (numpties), then were talking about two different things and you're not really what I was referring to (although I'd have to know more detail).

I'm talking about those who specifically ignore ALL Irish when abroad simply because they are Irish. If you don't fit into that category, then I'm not sure why you're arguing with me? :confused:

I don't think I once referred to Australia in my original post, did I? Okay then. I'm talking about this phenomenon I've seen in the countries I've been to.

Edit: You originally spoke about Irish who talked about their hometown/parish and not trouble makers, so why didn't you state that point originally? Who wants to hang out with trouble makers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

An honest question, not trying to stir anything.

I've traveled a fair bit, more than some but a lot less than others. And in every destination I've worked, traveled, holidayed I've found another Irishman/woman within a day or two.

Where could you go if you wanted 100% isolation from the Irish? I mean direct Irish, not those claiming links.

IrishExpat wrote: »

I've traveled a fair bit, more than some but a lot less than others. And in every destination I've worked, traveled, holidayed I've found another Irishman/woman within a day or two.

Where could you go if you wanted 100% isolation from the Irish? I mean direct Irish, not those claiming links.

How would anyone know that?

what is even odder is the chances of actually bumping into people in far flung places that you know.

• Advertisement

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    There's no irony. To ignore someone based solely on their nationality is objectively ignorant at the very least. If you're saying you avoid Irish who act in a certain way (numpties), then were talking about two different things and you're not really what I was referring to (although I'd have to know more detail).

I'm talking about those who specifically ignore ALL Irish when abroad simply because they are Irish. If you don't fit into that category, then I'm not sure why you're arguing with me? :confused:

I don't think I once referred to Australia in my original post, did I? Okay then. I'm talking about this phenomenon I've seen in the countries I've been to.

Edit: You originally spoke about Irish who talked about their hometown/parish and not trouble makers, so why didn't you state that point originally? Who wants to hang out with trouble makers?

You made a sweeping generalisation yourself so I picked up on it -
    These heads that go out of their way to avoid Irish people are idiots.

Or maybe, just maybe, they aren't idiots, they simply know that the probability of meeting friends for life is slim amongst all the other unappealing stuff that goes on so why bother?

There's an inherent idea that Irish people should stick together wherever they go. Not everyone buys into that, but apparently that's just because of a superiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

latenia wrote: »
    I just don't get why they all want to go to Australia. If I was 22 and unemployed it would rank about 40th on the list of countries I'd choose to spend a year or two in.

A mate of mine said he is intimidated by women with more pubic hair than him.
    Rough a Fcuk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

There are 7 deadly snakes in Australia.

Why dont they find the 7 of them and kill them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I live in Wroclaw in Poland since September, and I have not yet met an Irish person over here. I've heard Irish accents in town around the touristy areas, but I've not spoken to a single Irish person since I got here. I'm not avoiding other Irish people, but I'm not seeking them out either.

I'm glad in a way because it means that I get to integrate myself somewhat, but at the same time, I miss being able to speak our version of English, rather than bland soulless international English. What I wouldn't give to speak to someone who knows what the term "giving out" means. That phrase, for me, is not translatable into Standard English. I always stumble to find an alternative phrase when I come to it in a sentence.

number10a wrote: »
    I live in Wroclaw in Poland since September, and I have not yet met an Irish person over here. I've heard Irish accents in town around the touristy areas, but I've not spoken to a single Irish person since I got here. I'm not avoiding other Irish people, but I'm not seeking them out either.

I'm glad in a way because it means that I get to integrate myself somewhat, but at the same time, I miss being able to speak our version of English, rather than bland soulless international English. What I wouldn't give to speak to someone who knows what the term "giving out" means. That phrase, for me, is not translatable into Standard English. I always stumble to find an alternative phrase when I come to it in a sentence.

Are you learning Polish?

I was there over ten years ago and I was hard pushed to meet any locals who could speak English. No doubt that has changed in recent times.

Are you learning Polish?

I was there over ten years ago and I was hard pushed to meet any locals who could speak English. No doubt that has changed in recent times.

I am. I can get by in almost any situation at this stage, but with woeful grammar. Still not many locals who can speak English, but more than there was ten years ago I'd imagine.

Or maybe, just maybe, they aren't idiots, they simply know that the probability of meeting friends for life is slim amongst all the other unappealing stuff that goes on so why bother?

There's an inherent idea that Irish people should stick together wherever they go. Not everyone buys into that, but apparently that's just because of a superiority complex.

I had an experience with someone who actually ignored me when I tried to speak to them, not avoided me, because I was Irish. I've heard it happen to others. Those people are idiots.

I've never heard of that inherent idea? Most Irish I know living in Madrid are completely integrated, for example. I have one Irish friend. Not because I'm avoiding Irish people but because that's how it worked out. You meet groups from every nationality who stick together like that: the aussies in West London, the Israelis in their Iraelian hostels all over the world, the English and Americans who exclusively drink in the ex pat in the city I live in, the soccer and rugby teams for British ex pats set up all over Spain and places like Benidorm for Germans and British ex pats and the Spanish abroad....the list goes on. It's a certain kind of person and that behaviour is not exclusive to just us.

Sticking to your own nationality is not any better either but actively going out of your way to avoid people from your own country is idiotic imo. People are just as varied in Ireland as anywhere. I personally wouldn't want to hang out with a load of Irish in their early 20s because I'm 32 and it's not my scene anymore but that has nothing to do with their nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

What surprises me about Irish people who travel to Australia (cue sweeping generalisation) is how so many seem to fall so unproblematically in love with a society in a country which was stolen from its native inhabitants (the descendants of whom they now treat like s***).

The "booze and Bondi" aspects of Australian culture wouldn't appeal to me, though I have met some lovely Australians - and I'm sure there are many other facets to life there - but still, how can people from Ireland display such a lack of awareness about those issues?

number10a
    Funny to see your post, because I spent awhile this afternoon explaining to an aussie what "giving out meant", its the best:D

Had to explain to a mate of mine what "For fecks sake" meant. :p

• Advertisement

number10a
    Funny to see your post, because I spent awhile this afternoon explaining to an aussie what "giving out meant", its the best:D

It's a brilliant phrase. I tried explaining it to my boss once and I kept listing things like, complaining, scolding, expressing annoyance, bitching etc. I summed it up by explaining it as "anything negative coming out of your mouth".

It's far more universal a phrase than we give it credit for. Until you're stuck trying to replace it in a sentence, you'll never appreciate the phrase enough.

This kids I teach now know what "giving out" means too. :D I'll have them speaking Hiberno-English yet!!

It's a brilliant phrase. I tried explaining it to my boss once and I kept listing things like, complaining, scolding, expressing annoyance, bitching etc. I summed it up by explaining it as "anything negative coming out of your mouth".

It's far more universal a phrase than we give it credit for. Until you're stuck trying to replace it in a sentence, you'll never appreciate the phrase enough.

This kids I teach now know what "giving out" means too. :D I'll have them speaking Hiberno-English yet!!

Give out would be "tell off" elsewhere I suppose. Really hard to censor myself in class with that word.

Kinski wrote: »
    What surprises me about Irish people who travel to Australia (cue sweeping generalisation) is how so many seem to fall so unproblematically in love with a society in a country which was stolen from its native inhabitants (the descendants of whom they now treat like s***).

The "booze and Bondi" aspects of Australian culture wouldn't appeal to me, though I have met some lovely Australians - and I'm sure there are many other facets to life there - but still, how can people from Ireland display such a lack of awareness about those issues?

That's a very strange thing to say. You'd be hard pushed to find any country in the whole world not guilty of colonisation. From what I hear, people like the outdoorsy culture, the weather, the nightlife and not the fact that Aborigines were treated like muck or are still being discriminated against. I fell in love with the continent of South America and the same thing happened there by the Spanish and Portuguese. The history of what happened there turns my stomach but there's still so much to love about the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

It's not really that bizarre though when you've lived somewhere for long enough to know the lay of the land and how things go. If anything, the mentality of people coming to Oz from Ireland has changed from wanting to work hard and build a life to just going on the lash for 12 months of escapism.

In my post I did say "most, not all" as I've made some super Irish friends for life through football and that kind of thing, I just don't go out of my way to get amongst the stereotypical "craic".

Fair enough I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. When I'm travelling or living somewhere abroad I won't judge someone based on their nationality. If they're Irish, French, American, Japanese, Chimpaneze I will chat to them :pac: Life's too short to be avoiding people because of what you think they will be.

Like admonishing/scolding/complaining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Poland.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭M442

the americans or poles?

I think the poster means Jews.
    I understand some of to posters here who do not try to look for Irish people abroad. In general there is a problem with Irish people who go along way out of their way to find other Irish people and make no effort with locals or people from other countries. Even when I was on Erasmus pretty much all the Irish went to great effort not to socialise with any other nationality and were often rude when they were approached by others. I think its great that so many people are traveling to find work, fair play. But it seems that many of them are in the same kind of minimum wage job that they left in Ireland but its more acceptable because they are in Oz.

plámásing.... that's a word I cannot live without!

Gob****e .... pure art!!

All my aussie friend use these words too :D

**** Originally Posted by Kinski

The "booze and Bondi" aspects of Australian culture wouldn't appeal to me, though I have met some lovely Australians - and I'm sure there are many other facets to life there - but still, how can people from Ireland display such a lack of awareness about those issues? ****

Human beings are not so black and white, sure, I have enjoyed a few years boozing in Bondi and having fun... but, I have also taken the time study the culture and to obtain a degree in Aboriginal Studies, today I work within the Indigenous community, and like to think I’m making a difference.

Interestingly, I have found the Aboriginal community more trusting and accepting of me ... because I'm Irish!!!

When you travel, really travel you meet some interesting people doing some very unusual things, I once met an Irish lady with a collection box at a market in Thailand, she was staying with a Thai family and attempting to assist them financially, with rebuilding their home after a tsunami ....

We cannot save the world ...

but ...life can be beautiful !!

HEY ...

Can anyone tell me how to do these wrap around quotes LOL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres jobs there, its a nice place to live,weathers good,they speak english.
    There,s many qualified people here ,plumbers ,electricians,carpenters, etc they go to
    where there is work.IT Has always been so.
    NOW with the economy slow in the usa, its harder to go there ,hard to get a green card.
    Say You go to the uk, it s harder to find work.There,s nothing trendy about it.
    you are only allowed to work there ,if you have a specific skill ,trade .
    Since 9/11 travelling to the usa is harder if you are going there to work.
    IT was easier to go to the us or uk, in the 90,s
    WE had a 10 year boom, when people thought ,emigration was over, how naive we were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I think when it comes to a choice there is more to consider Australia than just being an English speaking country.

Fantastic Health system (far better than HSE and the UK NHS)
    Great Tax system.
    Drink the water straight out of the tap.
    Good standard of Hygiene.
    Drive on the left side of road.
    Decent wages
    Great lifestyle
    Similar brands of food/Drinks

plenty of other countries can give some but only very few can give all.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

While I've been in Australia I've not tried to avoid the Irish, I just don't have any interest in boozing in the beach side pubs and playing GAA, so I've made zero Irish friends:D

Of course that's not all Irish but it must be the majority.

I was running in Centennial park Sydney the last week and what do I see ahead of me? it was like a fluorescent rainbow made up of GAA shirts, went past the men's training and then the "women" training. I couldn't help but speed up to get past them incase there was the remotest chance I would have to talk to one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

While I've been in Australia I've not tried to avoid the Irish, I just don't have any interest in boozing in the beach side pubs and playing GAA, so I've made zero Irish friends:D

Of course that's not all Irish but it must be the majority.

I was running in Centennial park Sydney the last week and what do I see ahead of me? it was like a fluorescent rainbow made up of GAA shirts, went past the men's training and then the "women" training. I couldn't help but speed up to get past them incase there was the remotest chance I would have to talk to one of them

So how many friends have you got there billy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah its funny because if someone was going off to Spain on a holiday you would hardly throw a party for them and give them money, yet these days people are 'emigrating' and throwing what would be described as [url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/99680/237216.png[/url] when most of them will probably return within a year anyway its not as if they will never be seen again.

I wonder what Auntie Mavis would think when they return home after 6 weeks flat broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

So, would you stay that if they went to Canada, Dubai or somewhere else other than Ireland???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Misticles wrote: »
    So how many friends have you got there billy?

Ya I'm alright for mates, just off with a bunch of aussies and English to the SCG for the Aus V Sri lanka ODI, I'll be giving the aussies dogs abuse if sri lanka do them again. The irish are not great cricket fans, Their loss:)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yeah its funny because if someone was going off to Spain on a holiday you would hardly throw a party for them and give them money, yet these days people are 'emigrating' and throwing what would be described as The American Wake when most of them will probably return within a year anyway its not as if they will never be seen again.

I wonder what Auntie Mavis would think when they return home after 6 weeks flat broke.

Well spain is an hour or so away, Australia is the other side of the world, you cant really get much further away. Flights are also quite expensive so most will stay the 2 years on WHVs, if you wernt going to see your son or daughter again for 2 years would you not miss them? Also many people also get sponsered over here and might not return (to live) if they secure PR or citizenship. I think alot of people at home are thinking "ah sure its just a big holiday theyll be back" For some it is but I can tell you the longer Ireland stays fcuked the less people will want to return, you get set up here with a good job and lifestyle,meet new friends, get into a relationship whats the point in going home? Sponsorship is actually fairly easy to get if you stay outside the cities and avoid the myths of "workin in da mines". Solder on for 4 years in a small town, not the most exciting but the pay is still fairly good and your in. Beats sitting at home wasting your youth away waiting for things to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

I've seen the irish fools who go to the cock n bull,teagardens in sydney.....madness...irish girls white as snow and most of em outta shape with their OZ stone,polluted outta their minds...not for me.....done Oz twice for a year each time....best 2 years of my life...
    cant blame guy on the dole with plumbing qualifications going making a new life for themselves.....though ive seen its normally the holiday folk that stay tight in the irish group workin PT where they call in sick most mondays......
    dont knock it till you've tried it.....
    though still cant get over the people who get homesick and would rather be at home sitting in depressionville with mammy n daddy than making something of themselves.....but some people are just home birds.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't understand the hate....

I've got nothing but respect for people take it upon themselves to improve their life and provide for their family. Loyalty to your family is far more important than loyalty to whatever nation you happened to be born in.

Particularly when you're looking at the dole in Ireland verse a well paying career elsewhere.

Australia is a great place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I've seen the irish fools who go to the cock n bull,teagardens in sydney.....madness...irish girls white as snow and most of em outta shape with their OZ stone,polluted outta their minds...not for me.....done Oz twice for a year each time....best 2 years of my life...
    cant blame guy on the dole with plumbing qualifications going making a new life for themselves.....though ive seen its normally the holiday folk that stay tight in the irish group workin PT where they call in sick most mondays......
    dont knock it till you've tried it.....
    though still cant get over the people who get homesick and would rather be at home sitting in depressionville with mammy n daddy than making something of themselves.....but some people are just home birds.....

Thats true there is that crowd here, If youve any intention of staying in Auz they are to be avoided like the plague. They seem to coagulate into groups with similar minded tools and usualy piss any money they earn away. No intention of broading their horizions and give the rest of us a bad rep acting like apes.

That said youll also meet great Irish people (and every other nationality) out here who will go well out of their way to help you out. It depends on your mindset and what you want to get out of coming here. If its just for "the craic" well then good luck, you will be heading home sooner rather than later with nothing to show for it. Alcohol is horrendously expensive here and if thats your only passtime, well no ammount of traveling the world is going to take you out of your little box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement