Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nakd Bars, anyone tried them?

Comments

Typical values per 35g per 100g
    Energy 607 kj 1736 kj
    Energy 145 kcal 415 kcal
    Protein 4 g 11 g
    Carbohydrate 16 g 45 g
    (of which sugars) 14 g 39 g
    Fat 7 g 20 g
    (of which saturates) 1 g 4 g
    Fibre 2 g 6 g
    Sodium <0.1g <0.1g
    *equivalent as salt <0.1g <0.1g

I'd prefer to make my own to be honest!

Get some peanut butter, some dessicated coconut, chopped walnuts, some 85% dark chocolate, some PepperMint oil and a handful of dried berries.

Mush pbutter, nuts berries and oil together, press into a silicon ice cube tray
    silicone_ice_cube_tray.jpg

And lash into the freezer.

Melt the chocolate and dip the cubes into the gloop.

They're not bad, but get creative!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I find them great, really tasty and convenient and not too expensive! Kcal and sugar wise they aren't the worst. Great for a snack and much better than others out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh I don't like them. I made the protein bars from the recipe here and they were 10 times nicer and more satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Based on the sugar content, I think it's awful to market them as health bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

make your own or buy quest bars - simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I tried the Banana ones and they were awful. Way too sugary.

As others have said make the protein bars from the thread on here. Only takes about 10 minutes and they are much nicer. Plus you can play around to find the taste you prefer quite easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The sugar content is from the blended dates and raisins. They do remind me of a homemade paleo bar. It was dates, something else and probably coconut oil. The idea is have it before your crossfit WOD to fuel the workout.

As an anytime snack, better off with homemade oat bars like the others have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

GF loves them, the coco and orange I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Had these before alright, pretty tasty, can't even remember what one I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The apple pie and berry cheeky are both nice. Handy before an early morning workout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Yeh I don't like them. I made the protein bars from the recipe here and they were 10 times nicer and more satisfying.

Can anyone point me in the direction of that recipe, I'm going to have a go at making them this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

Think this is the one you're looking for:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055992322

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

Just read through the whole thread as the recipe gets revised a bit, think it was something to do with using less water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

vigos wrote: »
    Just read through the whole thread as the recipe gets revised a bit, think it was something to do with using less water

Yea I use between 130-160ml of water. Made my second batch today. Can't recommend them enough. Very tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

I don't like the banana bread one but the cocoa orange ones are delicious. Always have one in my bag or in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

If you take minimal ingredients/processing as a metric, they are probably the healthiest bars on the market. However if you are avoiding sugar or are ketogenic you might want to avoid them. I love them, personally. And they're very easy to make yourself! Here's my recipe:

- About 500g dates
    - 150-200g nuts of your choice (I like hazelnuts or almonds, or a mix of both)
    - 2 tbsp cacao powder
    - 1 tbsp coconut oil

Blend in a processer, smush into bar-shapes, refrigerate for about an hour and enjoy. You might want to line the tray/moulds with coconut oil so the mixture doesn't stick. Experiment with different ingredients like raisins, dessicated coconut, orange zest, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

folamh wrote: »
    If you take minimal ingredients/processing as a metric, they are probably the healthiest bars on the market. However if you are avoiding sugar or are ketogenic you might want to avoid them. I love them, personally. And they're very easy to make yourself! Here's my recipe:

- About 500g dates
    - 2 tbsp cacao powder
    - 1 tbsp coconut oil

Blend in a processer, smush into bar-shapes, refrigerate for about an hour and enjoy. You might want to line the tray/moulds with coconut oil so the mixture doesn't stick. Experiment with different ingredients like raisins, dessicated coconut, orange zest, etc.

Thanks for this. I had a cocoa and orange one last week and was hoping to replicate it at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Rower2

They're sugar bombs and not much weight in them either. The worst part is they're marketed as health bars making people think.they're like a special k bar

Seems too good to be true then it usually is

I got a few there, pecan pie hmm ingredients are: Pecans and dates. don't see how that can be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I got a few there, pecan pie hmm ingredients are: Pecans and dates. don't see how that can be bad.

This is just a guess and kind of thinking and typing at the same time.

The ingredients are broken down and mashed up together. It's probably really easy to digest so gets broken down quicker. They are quite sugary, natural sugars but still sugar, so it probably causes a bad insulin spike. I would guess if someone is healthy and doesn't have them often or has them before a workout then I wouldn't worry but, lets face it most people are not healthy, and alot of people having these would have them as a 'good' treat, which every once and a while isn't that bad but people do have alot of treats.

The pecan and date one is probably one of the better ones. People probably wouldn't go for it if it's higher in calories than the others.

• Advertisement

This fruit bar contains nothing but dates, pecans and almonds, blended together without baking them or heating them. Made in Wales and free from wheat, gluten, dairy and GM ingredients.
    Ingredients
    Dates 52%, Pecans 28%, Almonds 20%.
    Nutritional Information
    Values per 35g per 100g
    Calories 156 447
    Protein 3 8
    Carbs 13 36
    Fat 11 31

That's what it says, I'd rather eat one of these than say a snickers or something.

That's what it says, I'd rather eat one of these than say a snickers or something.

yup,

but I'd rather just make my own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Oh yeah better for you then a snickers but still just an occasional thing. Are they 35g? looking at nutritional info it seems very light, by looking at them(in packet) I would think they were 60g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Here's a homemade alternative
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/06/06/sweet-salty-fudge-bombs/

Like the nak'd bar, they are a treat, not an every day, every cup of tea thing!

p.s Dunnes have safeway branded dates on special for €2 till tomorrow & Lidl sell large bags of pecans for 2.69.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

folamh wrote: »

- About 500g dates
    - 2 tbsp cacao powder
    - 1 tbsp coconut oil

Just made these and they are delicious. I halved the recipe because I only had 250g of dates and added the juice of 1/4 orange. Mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Just made these and they are delicious. I halved the recipe because I only had 250g of dates and added the juice of 1/4 orange. Mmmm

If you want them to have a richer/denser consistency, add a jar (about 250g?) of almond butter. This makes it taste really good. However if you are conscious of your omega-6 intake you might not want to overdo the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 happyuser123

I don't understand people knocking these bars because of their sugar content. The sugar in the bars is all naturally occurring. There is no refined sugar added. My understanding is that there is a massive difference between the two and naturally occurring sugar isn't that bad... Otherwise fruit would be unhealthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

S'ok. They were knocking them three years ago.

I don't understand people knocking these bars because of their sugar content. The sugar in the bars is all naturally occurring. There is no refined sugar added. My understanding is that there is a massive difference between the two and naturally occurring sugar isn't that bad... Otherwise fruit would be unhealthy!
    Chemically the two are the same. There are other benefits in fruit that offset the sugar. That probably aren't present in bars.
    The sugar in fruit is the same sugar that's in coca-cola, fructose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

anyone tried the Cocoa Twist Bar? actually tastes like chocolate - love em..

yes there is a lot of sugar in them but its natural so not all that bad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you want a snack that isn't a piece of fruit as nobody counts that as a snack then these are great, actually just certain types of dates taste far better on their own, practically like eating caramel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tringle

I love them but only realised yesterday and that there are two types of them, the raw bar with dates and cashew or a the breakfast bar qurh oats and fruit. Its the breakfast bar I like instead of biscuits at coffee time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Typical values per 35g per 100g
    Energy 607 kj 1736 kj
    Energy 145 kcal 415 kcal
    Protein 4 g 11 g
    Carbohydrate 16 g 45 g
    (of which sugars) 14 g 39 g
    Fat 7 g 20 g
    (of which saturates) 1 g 4 g
    Fibre 2 g 6 g
    Sodium <0.1g <0.1g
    *equivalent as salt <0.1g <0.1g
    I'd prefer to make my own to be honest!

Get some peanut butter, some dessicated coconut, chopped walnuts, some 85% dark chocolate, some PepperMint oil and a handful of dried berries.

Mush pbutter, nuts berries and oil together, press into a silicon ice cube tray
    silicone_ice_cube_tray.jpg

And lash into the freezer.

Melt the chocolate and dip the cubes into the gloop.

They're not bad, but get creative!

4g sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar, so this bar has four and a half teaspoons of sugar in it alone

goat2 wrote: »
    4g sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar, so this bar has four and a half teaspoons of sugar in it alone

4.5 would be 18g not 14g.

It's easier to just work in grams. I also think of converting sugar to tsp as kinda archaic. Like converting weight in kg to "bags of flour"

Having a diabetic in the family, I need to know what sweetner is used in foods, because also for myself with both parents having had diabetes, I have to be careful, 4 spoons too much in one day, never mind a small snack

• Advertisement

Having a diabetic in the family, I need to know what sweetner is used in foods, because also for myself with both parents having had diabetes, I have to be careful, 4 spoons too much in one day, never mind a small snack
    Ive no issue with watching sugar intake.
    I'm wondering why people convert sugar to teaspoons when it's already given in grams. They don't do it with fat, or protein. Only sugar. It's awkward and prone to mistakes imo.

Mellor wrote: »
    Ive no issue with watching sugar intake.
    I'm wondering why people convert sugar to teaspoons when it's already given in grams. They don't do it with fat, or protein. Only sugar. It's awkward and prone to mistakes imo.

That is for easy reference, sugar is the worst addiction of all, found in most foods, so have to keep a steady on it when a person, has diabetes, there is a huge population of diabetics,

None of that explains why you should use teaspoons over grams.
    Really not sure what you aren't following

just my way of thinking, for such a little morsel of food, a snack really, it has a lot of sugar, would love it if it had less sugar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

just my way of thinking, for such a little morsel of food, a snack really, it has a lot of sugar, would love it if it had less sugar

There's loads of protein bars that are very low in sugar, such as Kinetica bars with only 2grams of sugar, same with Quest bars. I dunno if what they use as a sugar substitute is suitable for diabetics though

• Advertisement
Advertisement