Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i wish i had friends ..

Options
  • 18-01-2013 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

:( been here for like 3 months still not one friend, i'm not a real mushy people person but i miss having them to do stuff with and make up an excuse why i cant hang out ...sometimes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

chloe90 wrote: »
    :( been here for like 3 months still not one friend, i'm not a real mushy people person but i miss having them to do stuff with and make up an excuse why i cant hang out ...sometimes

Would this be of any interest to you.?? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056855204

Coming up soon.

Plus this if your after just a girlie social.. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056824148

• Registered Users Posts: 3 surferrod

But what in the case of not interested people

surferrod wrote: »
    But what in the case of not interested people

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Do not be sad... be happy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I kind of know what you mean OP. I've been here for 4 years and only have one friend! :(

It's very difficult to get to know people when you're unemployed. You don't really want to mix with other unemployed people as you don't want any more negativity to 'rub off' on you. (I don't mean that to sound snobby) But anything you do to try to get to know people costs money!!

Fortunately, I can keep in touch with my mates from home via FB and the good old dog 'n' bone. Some of them have been over to visit which is nice. Some more Irish friends would be good too!

• Advertisement

I kind of know what you mean OP. I've been here for 4 years and only have one friend! :(

It's very difficult to get to know people when you're unemployed. You don't really want to mix with other unemployed people as you don't want any more negativity to 'rub off' on you. (I don't mean that to sound snobby) But anything you do to try to get to know people costs money!!

Fortunately, I can keep in touch with my mates from home via FB and the good old dog 'n' bone. Some of them have been over to visit which is nice. Some more Irish friends would be good too!

Well said...Fair dues to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chloe90

yah i know what you mean right now i have no job and like i told my fiance like it's so hard to find friends when i met all my old friends at work etc. , i do go on fb too but idk miss hanging out and making fun of things together or idk playing rock band at someones house. its really hard just i mean how do you make a friend who is a girl , like i don't want anyone to think i'm a weird lesbo. i hope once i get a job it will be better tho otherwise i will go crazy and just start random conversations with anyone i meet hoping one is as lonely as i am on week days between 12-5 pm ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You're being silly, tbh. You're going to have to get out of your comfort zone and do new things or maybe things that you never would have considered doing before. When you do meet new people, you could also gently let them know that you're new to the area and you have no social circles to fall back on. Other girls will take you under their wing. I've seen this happen tons over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I lived in cork for ten years from1993 to 2003 an found the local people great to get along with. Many have very tight knit social circles but most are open to getting to know new people. I have moved about the country a fair bit and find getting out and getting involved at a local level in clubs pubs or community associations great for meeting people. Small local pubs are always better than big city pubs if you like a drink (I know it's expensive).

Are you around town or kinda outside town. Im fecking bored off my nut most weekends, and im off two days also so normally end up cleaning the house which i shall scrub away soon enough. And himself if normally away at the weekend so hello vino..

If you fancy meeting up for walks or anthing if your close id be more than willing to meet. Just to note im not a lesbian either not that it would matter. But same thing most of my friends are abroad or have kids so there goes the social life.. Meet up with two girls on this for walks and they were loverly, tried to volunteer in loadsa places too, to take up the free time and dya know tis harder to volunteer than it is to find work..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

N
    Milly33 wrote: »
    Are you around town or kinda outside town. Im fecking bored off my nut most weekends, and im off two days also so normally end up cleaning the house which i shall scrub away soon enough. And himself if normally away at the weekend so hello vino..

If you fancy meeting up for walks or anthing if your close id be more than willing to meet. Just to note im not a lesbian either not that it would matter. But same thing most of my friends are abroad or have kids so there goes the social life.. Meet up with two girls on this for walks and they were loverly, tried to volunteer in loadsa places too, to take up the free time and dya know tis harder to volunteer than it is to find work..
    That is sadly true about voluteering. I am a trained chef and numerous times I tried to contact Penny Dinners to offer help. No reply from them whatsoever and the same from other places I tried. To be fair I am a full time student and have chronic illnesses, my time is precious enough. It makes me wonder why I bother.

Glad I am not the only one so. I found it very odd. I always here Penny Diners saying they are looking for help, then as you say you offer but hear nothing. There is a poster up in the Post Office in Ballintemple for meals on wheels they are looking for a Monday chef but kinda every other Monday as such, if you wanted to try I can get the number for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

:( been here for like 3 months still not one friend,

Get out walking, around the Lough for example, 2 or 3 laps around it and you will feel the better in your head, God knows you will meet plenty people enjoying themselves Chloe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Milly33 wrote: »
    Glad I am not the only one so. I found it very odd. I always here Penny Diners saying they are looking for help, then as you say you offer but hear nothing. There is a poster up in the Post Office in Ballintemple for meals on wheels they are looking for a Monday chef but kinda every other Monday as such, if you wanted to try I can get the number for you.
    Have college during the week but thanks anyway. It is pretty ignorant out of them though all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

I'm in a similar position and came on here to see if I could catch wind of any kind of social group to meet new people in a similar position but I guess I am what the OP refers to as a "weird lesbo" so that appears to rule me out as being friend material.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Shine7 wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position and came on here to see if I could catch wind of any kind of social group to meet new people in a similar position but I guess I am what the OP refers to as a "weird lesbo" so that appears to rule me out as being friend material.....:rolleyes:

Why? :confused:

Would this be of any interest to anyone?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056868205

Contact KingTut if anyone wants to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

MrFrisp wrote: »

Contact KingTut if anyone wants to go.

:eek::eek::eek:

The more the merrier ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Armaiti

Just got here (two months ago) and left all my friends behind. I'm a really friendly and easygoing girl, but it's not easy to make new friends when you don't know anyone, didn't find any job yet and... you come from abroad :)

I'm a little bit older then the girl who started the thread (I'm 27), but well, if this doesn't bother you I'm here :D

Advertisement