Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strengthening 1 leg

• 18-01-2013 9:19am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hope I am in right forum!

I suffered for over a year with a back problem which culminated in a bulging disc there Feb 2012. I was out of action for the guts of 3 months and it took me another 3 to get back to training, I do a lot of cycling. I can't run on it again but thats not an issue.
    During the year from 2011/2012 until the disc went I was compensating by leaning on my left leg to such and extent that there is a muscle deficit of 2.5 inches in the muscle on the right thigh and the left, the left been much bigger.

I need to restore this but am unsure what is the best approach, I have a full Olympic weights set at home, a few benches and various free weights, I used to do a nice bit of weight training 10 years ago or so.

Any help on what exercises to focus on that side/leg would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Can't see an oly bar being much use if your back in in bad shape. Hip belt lunge or something. More of a topic for discussion with a physio.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry back is ok now, its just to get working on that right leg to build it up with a bench and free weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I was doing these yokes last year(?) Anyways, you could use plates instead of dbs. Good carry over to squats too IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭fat and slow

hi, i twisted my knee cap and did tore medial ligaments and lost lots of muscle, give your weaker leg lots of bonus medium intensity workouts. leg curl machines, leg presses and ham curls can all be done with one leg. don't worry about getting maximum strength gains, as long as you find it a challenge to push out 8.

Functional exercises like lunges and side lunges are good two. as are step ups. then there are balance exercises. and if your able to you can do 1leg hops, 1 leg box jumps, i leg side to side hops, 1 leg pistol squats, 1 leg squats to low benches.

Personally i found that my lunges on both legs levelled out ok, but there is a big difference with my ability to do side lunges, train for lateral movement as well and try and restore coordination and not just strength

Advertisement