Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Default Welcome Screen

Options
  • 18-01-2013 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 running Windows XP Professional. I am trying to get it to look more XP'ish at boot up. At the moment it comes up with what looks like the old W2K log on instead of the usual list of user's to log on. Also in control panel when I click on users that also looks like W2K and there is no sign of the tick box there to use the default log on.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Do you mean its just a plain blue background without the user icons?

If you have the machine set to require ctrl + alt + del before presenting the log on screen then that's what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

FSL wrote: »
    Do you mean its just a plain blue background without the user icons?

If you have the machine set to require ctrl + alt + del before presenting the log on screen then that's what you get.

No I tried that. It comes up with a log on box regardless of weather or not that is ticked. I might need to re install windows on it but do not want to this just yet. Thank you for your reply.

You should not need to reinstall windows.
    If you have your machine set up as a domain member it will also do this.

Remove yourself from the domain.

EDIT: To remove from domain, add youself to a workgroup. You can name the worgroup anything, i think the default is 'workgroup'

sKeith wrote: »

Thank you for your reply. Problem with this is that there is no check box for this when I bring up the users through the control panel.

• Advertisement

PopIT wrote: »

No I tried that. It comes up with a log on box regardless of weather or not that is ticked. I might need to re install windows on it but do not want to this just yet. Thank you for your reply.

This what comes up for the user list in control panel.

i've just browsed there on mine, start, settings , control panel, user accounts, advanced tab, in secure logon, turn off require users to press CRTL+ALT+DEL. is the xp version professional?

In your image there is two tabs.. users and advanced.. click advanced.

image attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭quaidox

on the advanced tab, uncheck the "require users to press ctrl+alt+delete" checkbox at the bottom of the window

• Advertisement

sKeith wrote: »
    In your image there is two tabs.. users and advanced.. click advanced.

Got it. Many Thanks. Had to turn off "Offline Files" as well. No just have to sort out the network connection on it and I am squared away. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

If you want to log in automatically, you will need to enable Fast User Switching (may require uninstalling the Novell client).

Then type/copy/paste the following into the Run box:
    control userpasswords2

Clear the box "User must enter password" and click OK, now enter the user name and password you want to log in automatically.

Advertisement