Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP PLEASE

• 18-01-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

On my daily commute tis morning in that lovely mild weather the bike decided to play up.

I pulled of from lights and changed up from first to second. But it did not go to second :mad:

The bike is stuck in first and the gear lever is completly floppy. I limped it the rest of the way to work but getting home later aint goin to happen in first gear.

Any ideas whats wrong? I thought clutch cable but I have no experience in them going as its my first bike, so I am probably way off the mark.

If anyone is knocking round dublin 7 and reckons they can sort it I would appreciate it. I have breakdown cover with Liberty insurance would it be worth my while giving them a bell?

Thanks for any info:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

floppy lever?

pop off the lever and see if there is play in the cable?

ring liberty, thats what you pay them for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

kaimera wrote: »
    floppy lever?

pop off the lever and see if there is play in the cable?

ring liberty, thats what you pay them for :)

Completly floppy!!

The clutch lever still feels the same though so maybe its not the clutch!

But the cable is still connected and moving at the clutch end?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

I've a Rebel 125 and this happened to me, same thing going from stationary. Down into first and then up into 2nd and nothing.

Turned out that the gear change lever had just popped out of the 'holder'. The gear lever on my bike is a ball joint affair that fits into a socket and due to wear and tear and usage it was just loose so I popped it back in and carried on. It came out a a couple more times on the way home but I just stopped and put it back in.

If you have a cable tie, you can cable tie the arm of the socket and the lever loosely together and that should hold it in place. I rode it like this for months afterwards until I got it sorted properly.

Good luck :)

Yeah clutch lever on the bars seems to be working as it always did.

@ fleabag. I will get out and have a look in a while and see if this is whats wrong. If I put it back in and line it up incorrectly can I cause damage to the splines?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ah my bad, gear lever not clutch!

see if she's after coming off. could be missing a clip or something.

kaimera wrote: »
    ah my bad, gear lever not clutch!

I was on the same wave length as ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

have a good look at the gear linkage, and make sure its all connected - no popped ball joints, or loosened bolts / linkages

dont believe its the clutch if you managed to get it all the way into work in first without stalling it (presuming you stopped for lights etc!)

leppla wrote: »
    Yeah clutch lever on the bars seems to be working as it always did.

@ fleabag. I will get out and have a look in a while and see if this is whats wrong. If I put it back in and line it up incorrectly can I cause damage to the splines?

dont think you'll be able to get it back on without lining up the splines. Only thing is if you put it on rotated incorrectly, the lever peg will either be too high, or too low - and may effect the motion and/or reach of the lever. They typically have a little marking on them to help align them correctly

Wossack wrote: »
    dont think you'll be able to get it back on without lining up the splines. Only thing is if you put it on rotated incorrectly, the lever peg will either be too high, or too low - and may effect the motion and/or reach of the lever. They typically have a little marking on them to help align them correctly

Thanks for all the info guys. I have managed to get a lift home and the bike transpoted. I will get it back and have a good luck at it later. Hopefully its a simple fix and I can get it motoring tis evening myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Brian (Leppla) you have my number, and I would have told you a quick fix at the roadside. In future, if any probs, ring me.

Its only a loose gear lever (left foot), tighten it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Jaysus sorry to hear that Brian...as Mick said you should have given him a bell or me and I would have collected you at least. (I would be like yourself new to the mechanics end of it)

Let me know how you get on, I have to go to Dublin tomorrow I will give you a bell and I might drop in on the way....

P.S get a fookin Yamaha ffs! :p

Just an update:

Got rescued on Friday with the bike and turns out the cause of the problem was a bolt missing from my rear set. The remaining bolt was loose and that was causing the gear lever to flop about. I got one to fit but will need to source the exact one in the near future.

So a warning to all to ensure all nuts and bolts are tight. Bought myself a tube of blue loc-tite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

So in summary:-

LEPPLA HAS A FLOPPY GEAR LEVER!!!! :P

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    So in summary:-

LEPPLA HAS A FLOPPY GEAR LEVER!!!! :P

HAD . . .:rolleyes:

continue using the ointment for a further 2 weeks after symptoms subside

Wossack wrote: »
    continue using the ointment for a further 2 weeks after symptoms subside

Sounds like u have experience of this floppy problem before!!:D

Advertisement