Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Shed v Wooden Shed

• 18-01-2013 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Folks, I need peoples opinion on which is better. I was going to get a steel shed last year but had to hold off but need to get one soon as the old wooden one i have is near colapsing point.

I have been told the preassure treated wooden shed are better for keeping condenstaion out. I will be keeping a bike and the usual stuff in it so i dont really want condenstation in it.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you mean steel shed vs. wooden shed, rather than steel shed vs. metal shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Yes sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

stevekavo wrote: »
    Folks, I need peoples opinion on which is better. I was going to get a steel shed last year but had to hold off but need to get one soon as the old wooden one i have is near colapsing point.

I have been told the preassure treated wooden shed are better for keeping condenstaion out. I will be keeping a bike and the usual stuff in it so i dont really want condenstation in it.

My 2p worth.
    Id go timber. If you do a minimal amount of care they will last 15-20 years. They look a lot nicer in gardens. Prob cheaper. Dont require a concrete base to be built. No condensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

just got clane steel garden shed ...just finished wired it now now, roof has insulation....no base needed , great job , secure , will outlast me!!! dont waste your money on timer/maintenence etc... Hated handing all that money over but its a shed for life ...hugely secure....just my two pence worth

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

I got a steel shed in couple of months back and put down concrete slab, damp proof etc. Condensation inside it is unreal, steel frame dripping wet on everything inside.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭killer007

I got a Steeltech shed last year..no problem with condensation ( it's lined with some insulation) . I put down a concrete base and when the shed was up poured a concrete inside it to make a higher floor level. The shed will be maintenance free for years to come whereas shed mk 1 was timber ,leaked all the time and needed painting every couple of years. Deffo steel shed well worth every penny. Only drawback is that you can't throw up a screw each time you need to hang up something.

Killer i did exactly the same as you and from the same supplier, condensation is really bad dripping down from the frame and the sheets, so i am not sure what i did wrong along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭moby30

I had the same question last year and it wasn't until the neighbor got a steel shed with anti condensation coating and insulation that I realized the best option was a wooden shed as The condensation inside his is unreal even with all that spec. I got a pressure treated one for less than it cost him to put down the concrete base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

but ask yourself . Which shed will withstand high winds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 chrisoc09

stay away from steel sheds. for what its worth i would get a proper block shed done with apex tiled roof. you could insulate it cheaply with warmboard. in the long run its worth the money. timber shed is fine for small urban garden. i live in dublin and got a steel shed nothing but problems with condensation and leaks - cost a lot to insulate and still not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

mikehunts wrote: »
    Killer i did exactly the same as you and from the same supplier, condensation is really bad dripping down from the frame and the sheets, so i am not sure what i did wrong along the way.

Did you follow the manufacturer's recomendation for the base,etc.
    You need to put a plastic DPC, inside the shed, after its fitted,and pour an internal floor about 1''
    killer007 wrote:
    I got a Steeltech shed last year..no problem with condensation ( it's lined with some insulation) . I put down a concrete base and when the shed was up poured a concrete inside it to make a higher floor level. The shed will be maintenance free for years to come whereas shed mk 1 was timber ,leaked all the time and needed painting every couple of years. Deffo steel shed well worth every penny.

Sounds like killer007 did it correct and has no problems.

At this time of the year there is a lot of moisture in the air, the non-drip insulation will absorb this, but it still needs some ventilation to dry out the lining, and if there is moisture coming up through the floor, you will get constant dripping from the frame. If we get a dry windy day, open the door for a few hours to dry out the lining.

martinn123 wrote: »
    You need to put a plastic DPC, inside the shed, after its fitted,and pour an internal floor about 1''

Followed the suppliers instruction and did all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭killer007

Maybe the size of shed has something to do with lack of condensation. Mine is 20ft x 10 ft approx with a roller door and exit door at back.
    It stands beside a smaller wooden shed and at this stage I am sick of sealing leaks in the wooden shed.:mad:

Followed the suppliers instruction and did all of the above.

O.K so give us a time-line, when did you pour the initial base, and the internal floor, when was shed fitted??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Just been reading in on this thread too. I have 2 x barna shed's I want to replace with a Steeltech shed.

They can do base etc but wondering what the idea is re putting in the extra inch of base once shed is up? Is this to prevent moisture coming in from base of walls.

Does it help re positioning of shed - mine would be in sunlight all day long; is this good of bad though? Will it turn cold air to moisture quicker.

Finally, has anyone here had the Tilestyle effect roof fitted and is this steel on inside too? Possibly this would stop the condensation and is something worth considering.

Any thoughts would be really helpful as I want to get this done in spring.

Thanks
    Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Sounds like killer007 did it correct and has no problems.

At this time of the year there is a lot of moisture in the air, the non-drip insulation will absorb this, but it still needs some ventilation to dry out the lining, and if there is moisture coming up through the floor, you will get constant dripping from the frame. If we get a dry windy day, open the door for a few hours to dry out the lining.

A few years ago I ordered two steel sheds (not from steeltech) one for me and one for a neighbour.
    They were both erected the same day.
    I put polythene down and put in a concrete base, I dont have any problems with condensation.
    The other shed was erected on an existing base with no damp proof, despite me insisting on putting polythene on top of this and putting in 2" of concrete they refused. To this day that shed is basically unusable due to condensation.

Wooden garden sheds are not what the use to be, when I was building my house 9 years ago I got a second hand one (it was about 12 years old at that stage) it had been treated regularly before I got it, I never treated it, 7 years ago my brother got it when he was building, to day it is still sturdy an in good condition. Some newer ones I have seen are no where near as strong.

IMO I would go for a steel shed if/when I need another shed. But regardless of what type you are buying make sure you inspect the shed you are getting and compare it to similar ones in relation to strength, build quality, extras(gutters, skylights, double doors etc.). Cheapest isnt always best value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Johnny max

I made my shed a few years back
    Used the pvc coated and condesation free sheets all around shed
    Put in the base with dpc used also
    I don.t have any issues with condesation
    I have the bike in there also
    Johnny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

TPM wrote: »
    A few years ago I ordered two steel sheds (not from steeltech) one for me and one for a neighbour.
    They were both erected the same day.
    I put polythene down and put in a concrete base, I dont have any problems with condensation.
    The other shed was erected on an existing base with no damp proof, despite me insisting on putting polythene on top of this and putting in 2" of concrete they refused. To this day that shed is basically unusable due to condensation.

Wooden garden sheds are not what the use to be, when I was building my house 9 years ago I got a second hand one (it was about 12 years old at that stage) it had been treated regularly before I got it, I never treated it, 7 years ago my brother got it when he was building, to day it is still sturdy an in good condition. Some newer ones I have seen are no where near as strong.

IMO I would go for a steel shed if/when I need another shed. But regardless of what type you are buying make sure you inspect the shed you are getting and compare it to similar ones in relation to strength, build quality, extras(gutters, skylights, double doors etc.). Cheapest isnt always best value.

+1
    Very true indeed.

Just been reading in on this thread too. I have 2 x barna shed's I want to replace with a Steeltech shed.

They can do base etc but wondering what the idea is re putting in the extra inch of base once shed is up? Is this to prevent moisture coming in from base of walls.
    If the frame of the shed, just sits on the first concrete base, wind will drive water under the frame, as the concrete will have a few gaps.
    So by putting down DPC, inside the shed and pouring an inch of concrete, you seal the plastic against the frame, and deflect any water out, so dry floor.
    Also the DPC will prevent moisture coming up from the ground and causing condensation
    Does it help re positioning of shed - mine would be in sunlight all day long; is this good of bad though? Will it turn cold air to moisture quicker.

The shed has ventilation at the top of the walls, which will change the air regurarly, and keep the non-drip lining dry.

So open the door occasionally if its dry and a good wind, like drying clothes on the line

Finally, has anyone here had the Tilestyle effect roof fitted and is this steel on inside too? Possibly this would stop the condensation and is something worth considering.

Any thoughts would be really helpful as I want to get this done in spring.

Thanks
    Paddy

The Tile-style roof is the same material, just shaped like a tiled roof, so exactly the same non-drip lining, only difference is , there is no clear panel, in roof, so you get a window, for light,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Thanks martinn123,

Really appreciate the info. Will definitely get all this covered when I go looking in to getting all put together.

Paddy

• Advertisement

O.K so give us a time-line, when did you pour the initial base, and the internal floor, when was shed fitted??

The base was down two weeks before the shed came then the dpc and floor went in.

The base was down two weeks before the shed came then the dpc and floor went in.

O.K so i'm not sure how recently this occurred.
    If recent, and in this weather the Concrete is still drying out, a lot of water in concrete, so the moisture in the shed may be from the drying concrete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its called non drip cladding.

see pic of our shed and our garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am about to get a steel shed 12x12 or so and I want to get it done right from the get go...not pissing around with it when its up. I will be putting a motorbike in there so dont want condensation all over the place....will deffo try to read up on this alot more. I also wanna run some electricity cables to it for some heat and power when constructing my time machine when the doors are closed!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I am about to get a steel shed 12x12 or so and I want to get it done right from the get go...not pissing around with it when its up. I will be putting a motorbike in there so dont want condensation all over the place....will deffo try to read up on this alot more. I also wanna run some electricity cables to it for some heat and power when constructing my time machine when the doors are closed!!!!

its all about the ground you are putting it on.
    Make sure its level

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Charlie 08

Just about to order a steeltech shed but going for the PVC coated that has a wood effect look.any opinions on this over the usual steel?

Two options available
    A. Pvc looks like your Pvc windows so less a ''Industrial Look''.
    B. Also Steel coated in a woodgrain PVC, looks similar, your choice

The Woodgrain effect is extra, so visualise where the shed is going, how many sides can you see, .i.e mix & match, 2 sides Woodgrain, 2 sides steel etc
    .Maybe only the front it that's all you are looking at, from the house, or maybe 3 sides, the back, no one sees.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Charlie 08

Yes plan on getting a mix to control cost.presume PVC wouldn't be as prone to condensation as steel?do they discolour over time?I know they have a 'lifetime' guarantee!

No. The standard in Steel,
    A. with a Pvc Film on Steel,
    B.
    Other is a Pvc /plastic sandwidge, both maintenance free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Gerrycon

Stay away from steeltech sheds, I got one this summer to store my Harley,as soon as the cold weather arrived I had big problems with condensation,the bike would be dripping wet in the morning.might as well as had it outside in the rain,total waste of 5 grand...stay well away....

Advertisement