Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Printing advise Help:/

• 18-01-2013 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi All,

I hope that some of you printing people can help me?

I have recently started printing my own photo's and im getting very frustrated.

I have an Epson r3000.

My photo's are coming out quite dark and not looking at all like on my screen. The greens on prints are way off.

Now i am currently editing on my Dell xps laptop and i dont have the screen calibrated. Not great i know. Im printing with the printer taking control of the colours and in srgd.

I am trying to save to buy an IMAC for my post processing. But im several €'s away from that yet.

Now i do have the money to buy a color Munki but it will make a big dint in my saving for the IMAC.

I will buy it if it will help me with my current printing problem.

Will i get a decent calibrated screen on the lap top? and will this help me?

Or am i doing something completly wrong with my printing settings.

I have the profiles for the epson luster paper im using.

I am wasting paper and ink and not getting the results i would like.

Any help / tips would be great.

Thanks in Advance.

Steoc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

You'll need a munki or similar anyway even when you upgrade, so yeah, buy one. You're essentially blind without it. Adobe rgb, turn on colour management in Photoshop (with the correct paper/printer profile) and TURN IT OFF IN THE PRINTER! otherwise the profile doesn't work :) that should get you better results :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

borrow a calib tool and calibrate your screen, then a few small test prints and your away, you dont need an imac to get matching colours. and as sinead said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

Thanks for the quick reply.

So i should get good enough results with my laptop if i get the color munki and check the photoshop settings?

I did a workshop with you on printing ages ago Sinead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

It all depends on how serious you are about exact colours on your pictures. I’m assuming your laptop screen is not IPS , the colours on those displays isn't anything special (in the grant scheme of things). So even with calibration you might have a hard time to get exact match of what you see on the screen and what comes out of the printer. Printer / ink/ paper is another long story that I don’t want to go into here. I gave up that chase while ago.

I would say save yourself frustration while you are waiting for your new hardware and use services of some of the people here until you get up and running with IPS screen. Balfey1972 from here printed my images and all my images came out spot on, what I see on my screen is exactly what I got on the paper. There are others who are also very good but I don’t have personal experience with them. Mind you my monitor is IPS and also calibrated with Spyder 4.

Hi Fat Fingers

Thanks for the reply.

I have gone to the expense of buying the printer and it would break my heart having to get my prints done by some one else.

I am now thinking of going with my first choice and buying a NECPA271WBK screen with the color Munki. I can hook up the laptop to this and when i get some more cash ill buy a desk top for it.

This is a cheaper option than the IMAC and color Munki.

What you think?
    Its a lot of cash either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I think you made a right choice, that is very good screen .

Going to place my order on Monday.

With Robert from One Photographic.

He is great to deal with.

Advertisement